Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

9 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Gotcha, I don't know much about him but he (Evans) seems like he is the type of guy that wants to start from day 1

Evans has a bunch of interviews, and half of them contradict the other. Not sure how much the depth chart will matter with him; I think the already committed stud RB is the one who'll second guess his choice rather than Evans being scared away by a current commit somewhere. 

3 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Is it understood on this board that bagmen for other schools pay recruits but Texas bagmen don’t? Or is it that bagmen for other schools pay more than our bagmen? 

If we have bagmen, they aren't doing a very good job of handing out bags

• Like 1

The big 12 does not have a culture of nodding and winking at $EC-style payments. If we had the moral disposition to “get in the game,” we would nevertheless be vulnerable to being exposed. We might be able to lawyer up and tell NCAA to get lost, but we would stand out as the apparently biggest cheater in sports by being successful at it and not in the $EC. My feeling is that the same money that could have gone to buying a few blue-chip recruits is better spent established a strong clandestine intelligence-gathering operation that makes it more difficult for UO, Bama, LSU, Clemson, etc to buy Texas recruits. Think how much surveillance and behind-the-scenes pressure can be had for the price of 3 $200,000 recruits per year.

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The big 12 does not have a culture of nodding and winking at $EC-style payments. If we had the moral disposition to “get in the game,” we would nevertheless be vulnerable to being exposed. We might be able to lawyer up and tell NCAA to get lost, but we would stand out as the apparently biggest cheater in sports by being successful at it and not in the $EC. My feeling is that the same money that could have gone to buying a few blue-chip recruits is better spent established a strong clandestine intelligence-gathering operation that makes it more difficult for UO, Bama, LSU, Clemson, etc to buy Texas recruits. Think how much surveillance and behind-the-scenes pressure can be had for the price of 3 $200,000 recruits per year.

Lol. This is absurd. The NCAA has phone calls of LSU baskrtball cheating. Coach is staying, nothing is happening. Your idea is a massive waste of money. 

UT should match UGA, so we can watch Ringo become an All-American, first round pick in burnt orange. UT will face 0 repercussions for doing so, just like everyone else. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol. This is absurd. The NCAA has phone calls of LSU baskrtball cheating. Coach is staying, nothing is happening. Your idea is a massive waste of money. 

UT should match UGA, so we can watch Ringo become an All-American, first round pick in burnt orange. UT will face 0 repercussions for doing so, just like everyone else. 

Paying recruits is a crime in Texas. And there’s the federal income tax. I’m not talking about turning people in to the NCAA with an eye to causing sanctions. I’m thinking more along the lines of “friendly communications” here and there to make it more uncomfortable for people to break state and federal law on our turf. An underground response to an underground problem.

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Paying recruits is a crime in Texas. And there’s the federal income tax. I’m not talking about turning people in to the NCAA with an eye to causing sanctions. I’m thinking more along the lines of “friendly communications” here and there to make it more uncomfortable for people to break state and federal law on our turf. An underground response to an underground problem.

LMAO you want us to threaten recruits and their families with fucking tax evasion?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dude, its not an underground problem. It is, at worst, a partially obscured but a tacitly accepted dynamic. As Burt said, which part of fbi recorded tapes proving racketeering with zero consequences jives with the concept of Underground? Clemson uses a tax exempt fucking church to launder money. Bitcoin cant be traced. The only way cheating goes away is if the power programs tell the ncaa to fuck off and start a new governing body. Why would Bama and Clemson want to do that? 

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Literally the entire point of Bitcoin is that every transaction is specifically and publicly recorded.

This is a joke, right? 

Let me rephrase. Do you think the ncaa is adopting and utilizing the specific software packages than can track bitcoin, which currently isnt even a slam dunk for law enforcement? Also, the notion that a digital currency that was created to not be tied to governments and is literally defined by the word encryption was created to be matter of public record is fucking absurd. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is a joke, right? 

Let me rephrase. Do you think the ncaa is adopting and utilizing the specific software packages than can track bitcoin, which currently isnt even a slam dunk for law enforcement? Also, the notion that a digital currency that was created to not be tied to governments and is literally defined by the word encryption was created to be matter of public record is fucking absurd. 

The statement "The NCAA is not smart enough to understand how bitcoin works" is obviously hugely different (and less controversial) than the statement "Bitcoin cant be traced."

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, man, i amended my statement. But your notion that bitcoin’s creator was musing to himself “we need to create a currency that above all is public and trackable” is also silly. 

Ummm .. yeah that is the point of it, no? No central bank, but public confirmation of transactions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Ummm .. yeah that is the point of it, no? No central bank, but public confirmation of transactions.

Ok. Im not going to Giles this thread, so this will be my last post on the topic.  But I will need to be convinced that a currency who’s primary purpose was transparency and track-ability spent the first several years of its life as a primary tool for criminal activity, due to perceived anonymity, was in fact supposed to be Transparency Over All. Thats like saying an anti rape seminar’s first adopter and greatest advocate was Art Briles. 

Peer to peer payment without having to go through seemingly corrupt banking systems and not tied to potentially volatile governments or central banks isnt the same at all to me as “This is primarily supposed to be traceable.” 

51 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I do love the notion that "everyone else" is doing it.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, they’re a hot team with talent and theyre going to pay him 200k to commit. We are offering Austin. Go figure. We will be top dog in the portal if that helps, though. 

His mom is a bigger fan of Atlanta. 

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

This is some galaxy brained recruiting nonsense. Which has been lacking on this board. Thank you for your service sir. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

LMAO you want us to threaten recruits and their families with fucking tax evasion?

No. I’m all for threatening and turning in bagmen, though. There is a lot that can be done if one does not argue against it by straw man or complex question.

Yeah, there's a reason Herman puts so much emphasis on facility upgrades and bringing in successful alumni and business leaders to talk to the team. The message is clear: you'll be taken care of here as a student/athlete and later in a career vs. getting some bucks to blow on stupid teenager shit now. Texas is selling the long view. It may not be as sexy as $200k and a fake promise that you'll get drafted, but it does have an appeal to the right kind of kid.

• Like 4

No. I’m all for threatening and turning in bagmen, though. There is a lot that can be done if one does not argue against it by straw man or complex question.

Bagmen are just couriers man. You cant really sue fedex for delivering the paper, so to speak. What you would have to do, theoretically, is go after a Bobby Lowder type. But more often its like  20 guys who all put in 10k. Or clemson’s church.

Id love to get creative and find a high ranking IRS official who is a UT grad and a college football fan.  

Bagmen are just couriers man. You cant really sue fedex for delivering the paper, so to speak. What you would have to do, theoretically, is go after a Bobby Lowder type. But more often its like  20 guys who all put in 10k. Or clemson’s church.

Id love to get creative and find a high ranking IRS official who is a UT grad and a college football fan.  

I think the ideal would be a pissed off TCU or Tech grad to take the focus off us, but I can live with UT. Recently former Texas employee Michael Center says that the feds occasionally do notice the money flowing around athletics.

I’m still confused.

Some here seem to think we do have bagmen and others seem to think we don’t.

Being a large academically focused university would seem to support the idea that our bagmen have big bags and are likely smart enough to not get caught. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

I think the ideal would be a pissed off TCU or Tech grad to take the focus off us, but I can live with UT. Recently former Texas employee Michael Center says that the feds occasionally do notice the money flowing around athletics.

We are hated no matter what. I have zero fucking problem with the attention being on us when we have the moral fucking high ground. Fuck, i welcome it.  

3 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I’m still confused.

Some here seem to think we do have bagmen and others seem to think we don’t.

Being a large academically focused university would seem to support the idea that our bagmen have big bags and are likely smart enough to not get caught. 

If we played the game the way others do wed never lose a recruit we wanted. Period.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Yeah, there's a reason Herman puts so much emphasis on facility upgrades and bringing in successful alumni and business leaders to talk to the team. The message is clear: you'll be taken care of here as a student/athlete and later in a career vs. getting some bucks to blow on stupid teenager shit now. Texas is selling the long view. It may not be as sexy as $200k and a fake promise that you'll get drafted, but it does have an appeal to the right kind of kid.

Fuck yes. More gibberish like this. I am 100 years old and I think that we need the RIGHT kind of kids from good families who play the game the right way and wear their pants at an appropriate level and why can the rappers use the nword but I can't and the University of TEXAS shouldn't pay kids because have you seen how high our business school is ranked and that is what Herman should be selling because the RIGHT kind of kid cares that our law school is ranked #15 nationally and not about $200,000 in cash which they will just blow on stupid teenager shit anyways because they aren't the RIGHT kind of kid. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

You don’t get one without the other, especially if involving the FBI. See all those parents who gave the bribe being indicted? 

Youre a smart guy. You should be able to recognize the stupidity of this idea. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

You don’t get one without the other, especially if involving the FBI. See all those parents who gave the bribe being indicted? 

I can't believe he posted his entire scheme on this thread. He has to know you're an FBI agent and would see it. Go easy on him Burt. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

My reply was not intended to indicate that the principle thrust of the strategy should be offering the fbi evidence of unreported transactions. Surely the potential blowback onto recruits and their families suggests the power lying latent. Can it be harnessed? Not by joining the cheating; perhaps by other means yes.

My reply was not intended to indicate that the principle thrust of the strategy should be offering the fbi evidence of unreported transactions. Surely the potential blowback onto recruits and their families suggests the power lying latent. Can it be harnessed? Not by joining the cheating; perhaps by other means yes.

Nope becuase the NCAA doesn’t give a fuck, so you’re options are FBI or nothing.

It sounds like you’re angling at some sort of public shaming social media campaign, which is also a horrible idea.

I just had this post custom printed onto a flag to replace the American flag in front of my house. I will now wake up every morning and salute this post. 

Of course, maybe we should not try to think creatively about solutions to recruits’ being illegally recruited out of our backyard. The two best choices are probably just to ignore the problem or to join in the lawbreaking, counting on enforcement’s being unlikely and beatable. After all, in this information age, what are the odds that law enforcement would notice or be able to do anything about the sudden proliferation of inexplicably well-heeled athletes at Texas? 

Edited by Magus Ossis

10 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Of course, maybe we should not try to think creatively about solutions to recruits’ being illegally recruited out of our backyard. The two best choices are probably just to ignore the problem or to join in the lawbreaking, counting on enforcement’s being unlikely and beatable. After all, in this information age, what are the odds that law enforcement would notice or be able to do anything about the sudden proliferation of inexplicably well-heeled athletes at Texas? 

You mean like the FBI having irrefutable evidence of racketeering and illegal payments being made to amateur athletes and punishing no one? Those kind of odds?

In a free market the easiest and most likely solution for Texas to succeed is to win on the field and then it wont matter. Well lose stud players but we will replace then with comparable talents. The reality is that we are this close to being there.  

You mean like the FBI having irrefutable evidence of racketeering and illegal payments being made to amateur athletes and punishing no one? Those kind of odds?

In a free market the easiest and most likely solution for Texas to succeed is to win on the field and then it wont matter. Well lose stud players but we will replace then with comparable talents. The reality is that we are this close to being there.  

I’m in favor of this over cheating, definitely. Prior to the William Singer investigation, I’d have thought the risk of material consequences quite low. They may still be. I’m against cheating, even if everyone else cheats. Even if most people think it shouldn’t be called cheating.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Like creating an underground network of tier 1 operators funded by Exxon and led by Admiral McRaven who assassinate bagmen (making it look like an accident, obviously) across the country until word gets out in the bagman community that Texas recruits are off limits

I actually really like this idea.  Can we get some of that North Korea aerosol can shit?