Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This kid picked up Utah (not bad) last week and Colorado (ok) and Washington (interest now piqued) today. Could he help solve our LB problems or is he a JAG?

https://247sports.com/Player/Cooper-McDonald-46047171/

Cristobal could explain the Huskies' interest in him to you, if needed.

QJ looks to have some Martavis Bryant to his game. Hopefully he's not half as dumb as Martavis.

• Like 1

Mike Roach: Four-star safety Chris Thompson gives Texas OV high marks

Chris Thompson came to Austin over the weekend for his official visit to have fun. The four-star Duncanville safety has been to campus so many times, he knew there was really nothing new that he could see. Thompson was able to relax and get an inside view of the program, and the result was a top-notch visit experience. “It was the best of my visits to Texas so far,” he said. “The best part was being able to hang out with people like Josh Thompson, Sam (Ehlinger), Brandon Jones, Caden (Sterns), and many others. They gave me advise to make the process less stressful.”

For defensive backs, a common part of the official visit is spending time with Texas assistant coach Michael Huff. A former All-Pro and Thorpe award winner, Huff gave Thompson a possible glimpse into the future. “I also hung out with Michael Huff for a little bit, and I saw his lambo,” Thompson said. “Just the overall correlation of gaining knowledge while having fun was the highlight of the visit for me.”

Thompson was hosted by Texas Junior defensive back Josh Thompson.  Player hosts fill an important role, because they can give advice from their own experience as a recruit. Thompson said that Josh Thompson came off as authentic. “He was just genuine, and he looked out for me,” he said. Rainy weather threatened to ruin the weekend, but there is always something to do in Austin. Thompson said he had fun just spending time with the guys.

“We hung out at the house where Josh, Sam, and Brandon Jones stay,” he said. Then we just hung around downtown.” Thompson plans to take more official visits during the summer before making a decision prior to his senior season. He’s currently working on setting up trips to Notre Dame and Auburn. At 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, Thompson is ranked as the No. 3 safety in the nation and No. 8 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Four-star safety Chris Thompson gives Texas OV high marks

Reveal hidden contents

Chris Thompson came to Austin over the weekend for his official visit to have fun. The four-star Duncanville safety has been to campus so many times, he knew there was really nothing new that he could see. Thompson was able to relax and get an inside view of the program, and the result was a top-notch visit experience. “It was the best of my visits to Texas so far,” he said. “The best part was being able to hang out with people like Josh Thompson, Sam (Ehlinger), Brandon Jones, Caden (Sterns), and many others. They gave me advise to make the process less stressful.”

For defensive backs, a common part of the official visit is spending time with Texas assistant coach Michael Huff. A former All-Pro and Thorpe award winner, Huff gave Thompson a possible glimpse into the future. “I also hung out with Michael Huff for a little bit, and I saw his lambo,” Thompson said. “Just the overall correlation of gaining knowledge while having fun was the highlight of the visit for me.”

Thompson was hosted by Texas Junior defensive back Josh Thompson.  Player hosts fill an important role, because they can give advice from their own experience as a recruit. Thompson said that Josh Thompson came off as authentic. “He was just genuine, and he looked out for me,” he said. Rainy weather threatened to ruin the weekend, but there is always something to do in Austin. Thompson said he had fun just spending time with the guys.

“We hung out at the house where Josh, Sam, and Brandon Jones stay,” he said. Then we just hung around downtown.” Thompson plans to take more official visits during the summer before making a decision prior to his senior season. He’s currently working on setting up trips to Notre Dame and Auburn. At 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, Thompson is ranked as the No. 3 safety in the nation and No. 8 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

I'm no scout but I would love to see him moved to OLB 

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I like Lindberg but mostly as a Guard. I’m skeptical he’ll work out at Tackle. Problem is we already have two other interior linemen, and if the staff gets their way, we’ll add another interior lineman in George. It’s good we took 3 tackles last year, but I’d still rather have more than one tackle prospect in this class. I get all the moving parts, but it would still be better for the staff’s ideal OL class to include one less interior lineman and include someone like Baker or Anderson. 

Two blue chip guards and a center would not suck. When was the last time we had that?

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

George can really bend and moves well for his size. He has a long way to go, but he's a tackle.

You serious, Clark? What have you seen that make you think that? I haven’t seen much of him, but what I have doesn’t make think tackle.

More on Mitchell: https://247sports.com/Article/Juwan-Mitchell-Arkansas-official-visit-131794622/

Because he was a full qualifier coming out of high school, Mitchell, 6-1, 235, won’t have to wait until December to find his next home. He will be eligible to enroll later this month, which means he could potentially reach a final decision very soon.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well that’s a pretty big fucking deal.

after watching his hudl, not so sure. Dude looks pretty damn slow, but he does seem to have good instincts and he’s good around the LOS.

Edited by Burt Macklin

Damn, Roach’s twitter is a goldmine. That dude has been traveling all over the state, and you don’t have to slog through a ton of pretentious bullshit to get to the clips, unlike his predecessor. 

Crawford is extremely explosive and flips his hips so effortlessly. Not sure how more big time programs aren’t all over him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

George can really bend and moves well for his size. He has a long way to go, but he's a tackle.

Doesn't have close to tackle feet. If he sticks there, it's because he's so big that it takes a long time to get around his big ass body. I bet we'd have better tackle options and he'd end up at guard 

• Like 1

I only saw him in the LT and Duncanville games but I didn't think he looked good at all.  He didn't move well and did a lot of bending at the waist to lean on people.  And picked up personal fouls.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

We all know why we're taking George, and yes, he's worth it. So discussing his potentional is futile. 

I'm not expecting D'Onta Foreman, but hopefully he'd contribute more than Donovan Duvernay and Tim Cole

47 minutes ago, WBT said:

I only saw him in the LT and Duncanville games but I didn't think he looked good at all.  He didn't move well and did a lot of bending at the waist to lean on people.  And picked up personal fouls.

He got worked against Duncanville. In the other games, he got the job done by being too big to get around, and just shielded guys by just standing there and not doing much else 

At this point with Anderson already going to OU, Hayes likely going to A&M/Arkansas, Crawford not being an option, and Tosh probably going to Notre Dame, might as well go all in on him to maximize Evans' odds 

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well that’s a pretty big fucking deal.

after watching his hudl, not so sure. Dude looks pretty damn slow, but he does seem to have good instincts and he’s good around the LOS.

Daddy98 started a topic about this kid on the aggy boards if anyone has it.  Probably broke down some film while drunk.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-tuesday-may-7th/

Visitor Updates | Mookie, Zach, George
– Charlie S

On Friday, I checked in with K and we have confirmed that 2020 RB Zach Evans, 2020 OL Damieon George, and WR Mookie Cooper would not be making their scheduled unofficial visits this weekend.

*** In Mookie Cooper’s case, K was in touch with a family member and they let him know that he was not able to make it to Austin due to a weather delay.

They also mentioned that they plan on rescheduling his visit and the June 22nd weekend could be a possibility.

*** As for Evans and George, they made their way to Austin, but once the JMBLYA concert was canceled, they decided to head home.

We will touch base with all three this week and check in.

Weekend Officials | Visitor Updates
– Super K

***As you know, this weekend Texas hosted some official visitors including guys like Logan Parr, Jake Majors, Chad Lindberg, Chris Thompson, Jaylen Garth, and Vernon Broughton.

***Parr, Majors and Garth are already committed so the guys of interest in terms of how things went are Broughton, Thompson and Lindberg.

***I did speak with the father of Chris Thompson. I’ll have a more complete write up later but a few key notes from our conversation…

Texas is checking all the boxes. They had a chance to get to know more of the coaching staff better and have the plan for Chris laid out.

Chris Sr did say that there was a slight itch to possibly commit but they went into the weekend with a plan and that did not include committing.

Texas is in a good spot but they still have quite a few visits that they plan on taking over the course of the next month and a half.

They do want to make a decision this summer. So, Texas won’t have to wait much longer to know their fate.

Again, I’ll pass along more details on that conversation later.

***I haven’t spoken to Lindberg or Broughton just yet. I plan on doing that early part of this week but I did speak to a source…

***On Vernon Broughton, I’m told Texas made a big move with him and especially his mother. I think that is particularly significant because as I’ve said before, Broughton’s mother coached basketball at LSU. So, I’ve long seen LSU as the biggest threat to Texas.

I’ve got another source I want to speak to before I say something too definitive but the early word is Texas made the move they needed to make. But there’s more visits to come. Though I don’t think this one will play out too much longer.

***On Chad Lindberg, Texas has been sitting in a good spot for a while. I think they continue to be in a good spot.

The plan going into this weekend wasn’t for Lindberg to commit. He still has some official visits to take. In fact, it sounds like he will take all five…so, four more.

Most people I speak with seem to think he will end up at Texas, eventually. But wants to take his time.

Evans & George | OV Strategy
– Super K

Just wanted to emphasize a particular note. In the weekend update post, we were asked about Zach Evans.

As most of you know by now, Evans didn’t end up visiting Texas. The concert was cancelled and he and teammate, Dameion George turned around and went back to Houston.

After speaking with George last week, in person, I do believe…

***They do indeed planning playing together and

***George wants to announce much sooner than I thought (possible late spring/early summer) and alluded to the fact that he and Evans may announce together.

I thought this was a big chance for Texas to make a strong statement. But with the concert being cancelled and neither Evans or George stepping on campus, I think Texas has to consider the strategy of locking in Evans’ and George’s official visits for the big June 22nd weekend.

I know Texas likes to get as many unofficials as they can and save the OVs for last. But the concern right now is that if LSU or Alabama lead for George and you don’t lock him into an OV, you may not get a shot at having him on campus before he makes a decision.

Again, the concert was supposed to be that chance but it didn’t happen.

As I said, when I met with George, he sounded like he’s getting really close to announcing. And if he does indeed plan on playing with Evans and announcing together or around the same time, you’ve probably got to bite the bullet and lock them into summer officials and not simply hope they make it in for an unofficial in the summer.

Zach hasn’t mentioned to me when he’d like to announce so I’ll admit I’m basing my thoughts on what George said. But a tweet from Zach this past weekend may corroborate what George said as it now appears Zach is ready to narrow things down…

And if I read George right, I’ll bet you we see Alabama, Texas, and LSU all in Zach’s top five.

Five Star Visitor | Sav’ell Smalls | Quick-Hitter
– Super K

This is intriguing…

***2020 5-star linebacker, Sav’ell Smalls tells me he is eyeing a possible visit to Texas in June.

***His mother has told me on multiple occasions that they do plan on visiting Texas but Smalls himself mentioned to me, recently, that he’s hoping to finally make that first visit in June.

***Also, worth noting that he has eliminated a school many thought was the biggest threat for his services – Washington.

Once the date is locked down, we’ll bring y’all the word.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Evans & George | OV Strategy
– Super K

Just wanted to emphasize a particular note. In the weekend update post, we were asked about Zach Evans.

As most of you know by now, Evans didn’t end up visiting Texas. The concert was cancelled and he and teammate, Dameion George turned around and went back to Houston.

After speaking with George last week, in person, I do believe…

***They do indeed planning playing together and

***George wants to announce much sooner than I thought (possible late spring/early summer) and alluded to the fact that he and Evans may announce together.

I thought this was a big chance for Texas to make a strong statement. But with the concert being cancelled and neither Evans or George stepping on campus, I think Texas has to consider the strategy of locking in Evans’ and George’s official visits for the big June 22nd weekend.

I know Texas likes to get as many unofficials as they can and save the OVs for last. But the concern right now is that if LSU or Alabama lead for George and you don’t lock him into an OV, you may not get a shot at having him on campus before he makes a decision.

Again, the concert was supposed to be that chance but it didn’t happen.

As I said, when I met with George, he sounded like he’s getting really close to announcing. And if he does indeed plan on playing with Evans and announcing together or around the same time, you’ve probably got to bite the bullet and lock them into summer officials and not simply hope they make it in for an unofficial in the summer.

Zach hasn’t mentioned to me when he’d like to announce so I’ll admit I’m basing my thoughts on what George said. But a tweet from Zach this past weekend may corroborate what George said as it now appears Zach is ready to narrow things down…

I think you save the OVs, or at least Zach's, and try to flip George later; I think George is the tail wagging the dog 

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think you save the OVs, or at least Zach's, and try to flip George later; I think George is the tail wagging the dog 

Yeah, this whole thing seems weird. With how serious Evans is taking this process, I can’t imagine George decides to commit early, and Evans just joins him. 

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, this whole thing seems weird. With how serious Evans is taking this process, I can’t imagine George decides to commit early, and Evans just joins him. 

They're weird

There was a Bud Elliott article where he interviewed both separately in like March, at the same camp I think, where George talks about how often Texas talks to him and how great his relationship is with Hand, and then in the same article Evans talks about how Texas hasn't been talking to George enough

Also, awhile back leading up to the big OV weekend, George was telling reporters that Zach was going with him to Bama's SG, and when they asked Zach/Zach's brother, they had no idea what he was talking about. 

I think you let George commit where he wants early, but keep recruiting him like he's uncommitted, and save both OVs so they can visit together in December

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

They're weird

There was a Bud Elliott article where he interviewed both separately in like March, at the same camp I think, where George talks about how often Texas talks to him and how great his relationship is with Hand, and then in the same article Evans talks about how Texas hasn't been talking to George enough

Also, awhile back leading up to the big OV weekend, George was telling reporters that Zach was going with him to Bama's SG, and when they asked Zach/Zach's brother, they had no idea what he was talking about. 

I think you let George commit where he wants early, but keep recruiting him like he's uncommitted, and save both OVs so they can visit together in December

Yeah. I still don’t get why they’re so adamant on being a package deal, especially since those usually fall apart. George picking early could cause this one to fall apart. 

A split of the George/Evans pairing would be ideal. In part, becuase I think George will always pull Evans in a direction other than UT and so we could take a better 5th OL. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. I still don’t get why they’re so adamant on being a package deal, especially since those usually fall apart. George picking early could cause this one to fall apart. 

A split of the George/Evans pairing would be ideal. In part, becuase I think George will always pull Evans in a direction other than UT and so we could take a better 5th OL. 

I'm not buying they are a package deal. I'm sure it'll help but it's not concrete. Evans and his brother seem to be doing a lot of research, and building relationships to just sign where his buddy is going. I remember reading how Evans wants to play with other RB's as well because he doesn't want to be a work horse in college. Evans and George just spent a fun weekend together and the talk of playing together sounds like fun. At the end of the season Evans and his brother are going to choose the school that can make Evans a high first round pick.

6 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I'm not buying they are a package deal. I'm sure it'll help but it's not concrete. Evans and his brother seem to be doing a lot of research, and building relationships to just sign where his buddy is going. I remember reading how Evans wants to play with other RB's as well because he doesn't want to be a work horse in college. Evans and George just spent a fun weekend together and the talk of playing together sounds like fun. At the end of the season Evans and his brother are going to choose the school that can make Evans a high first round pick.

They've been the most adamant about playing together I can remember from non-family members. Were Malcom Brown and Tim Cole this adamant? I think you have to treat it like a package deal.