Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

I see Smalls as an eventually DL, but maybe he can play b-backer early on 

Yeah. I don’t see Smalls as a Mac, especially since we already have a few guys who fit that spot.

7 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Hasn’t he already announced a top 5 or was that 20 other recruits who then go back and change it?

4 hours ago, Best served cold said:

So uh, exactly what movie is that scene from? Asking for a friend...

Aya Wolf from the international blockbuster short film, Mia. Tell your friend, you’re welcome. 

Edited by Sejjr
  • Like 2

Biggins: Four-Star WR Johnny Wilson could make early decision

Spoiler

Calabasas (Calif.) wide out Johnny Wilson has several visits coming up this summer and could make an early decision.

Wilson has been a household name out West since before he entered high school. Scholarship offers started flying in for him as a freshman and haven’t slowed down since.

At 6-6, 220 pounds, Wilson is a huge target and has steadily improved his speed and athleticism over the last year.

He’s smooth and fluid as a pass catcher, can make tough, contested catches through contact and shows the ability to separate when the ball is in the air. With his size, hands and catch radius, Wilson is a brutal matchup for opposing corners.

On the recruiting front, Wilson has a final five of Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, UCLA and Washington. His most recent visit was to Oregon and the Ducks made a big impression.

“It was amazing out there,” Wilson said. “Oregon is a great place, I love the coaching staff and every one was extremely welcoming. It felt like home to me and I really fit in well there on and off the field.

“I like the offense and how well I fit in there. The coaches did a good job showing me how they want to use me and I like how they throw the ball and how big an impact the receivers can have there. I talk with coach Bouknight (WR) and Marcus Arroyo (OC) almost every day and we have a great relationship. I have great communication with them and they’re recruiting me harder than everyone by far.”

Next up for Wilson will be a pair of visits in June to see Texas.

“I’m taking an unofficial visit to Texas June 1-3,” Wilson said. “Then at the end of the month (June) I’ll be back there for an official visit. Drew Mehringer (WR coach) is my main recruiter and I talk a lot with coach Herman as well and really like both coaches a lot.

“I also know some of the players and talk with Bru (McCoy) and Collin (Johnson) a lot and they all talk up Texas quite a bit and I’m excited to get out there and see it for myself. Texas has a great football program and you can tell they have things going in the right direction.”

Wilson is planning official visits with Oregon and Washington as well.

“I’m taking my official visit to Oregon in July,” Wilson said. “I don’t have a date with Washington yet but I’m planning to visit them this summer for an official visit as well. That will be in June or July, I just need to lock that in and I like UW a lot and like what their program has to offer.”

Ohio State and UCLA are also hoping to get visits as well.

“I want to see Ohio State sometime this summer,” Wilson said. I’m not hearing as much from Ohio State as the other four schools so hopefully things can pick up in that area. I like coach Hartline (WR coach) a lot and have a lot of interest in their program still.

“With UCLA, I’m talking with coach Dougherty (WR coach) and coach Kelly. They’re still coming hard and I have a great comfort level there. When I talk with them, it’s like talking to my mom because of how comfortable I am with them. The school is so close to home, I feel like I can go up there any time and check in. They’re in my backyard and it always feel like home when I’m up there on campus.”

As for a timeframe for a decision, Wilson said it could be sooner than originally expected.

“I was planning to commit at the Under Armour All-American Game,” Wilson said. “Now, I think I might want to do it at the end of the summer before my season gets here. I’m not sure about that yet and I’m going to take my visits and see how I feel but part of me wants to get it done early and get it out of the way.

“It would be great to be able to just focus on my senior year and my football season without worrying about recruiting. Like I said, nothing is set in stone right now but starting to lean in that direction a little bit now.”

In comments to article - "Saw Wilson on Saturday and he said he's planning to take unofficial and official visits in June to see Texas. I think Oregon and Texas are on top right now with the Ducks holding a slight edge."

19 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Biggins: Four-Star WR Johnny Wilson could make early decision

Reveal hidden contents

Calabasas (Calif.) wide out Johnny Wilson has several visits coming up this summer and could make an early decision.

Wilson has been a household name out West since before he entered high school. Scholarship offers started flying in for him as a freshman and haven’t slowed down since.

At 6-6, 220 pounds, Wilson is a huge target and has steadily improved his speed and athleticism over the last year.

He’s smooth and fluid as a pass catcher, can make tough, contested catches through contact and shows the ability to separate when the ball is in the air. With his size, hands and catch radius, Wilson is a brutal matchup for opposing corners.

On the recruiting front, Wilson has a final five of Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, UCLA and Washington. His most recent visit was to Oregon and the Ducks made a big impression.

“It was amazing out there,” Wilson said. “Oregon is a great place, I love the coaching staff and every one was extremely welcoming. It felt like home to me and I really fit in well there on and off the field.

“I like the offense and how well I fit in there. The coaches did a good job showing me how they want to use me and I like how they throw the ball and how big an impact the receivers can have there. I talk with coach Bouknight (WR) and Marcus Arroyo (OC) almost every day and we have a great relationship. I have great communication with them and they’re recruiting me harder than everyone by far.”

Next up for Wilson will be a pair of visits in June to see Texas.

“I’m taking an unofficial visit to Texas June 1-3,” Wilson said. “Then at the end of the month (June) I’ll be back there for an official visit. Drew Mehringer (WR coach) is my main recruiter and I talk a lot with coach Herman as well and really like both coaches a lot.

“I also know some of the players and talk with Bru (McCoy) and Collin (Johnson) a lot and they all talk up Texas quite a bit and I’m excited to get out there and see it for myself. Texas has a great football program and you can tell they have things going in the right direction.”

Wilson is planning official visits with Oregon and Washington as well.

“I’m taking my official visit to Oregon in July,” Wilson said. “I don’t have a date with Washington yet but I’m planning to visit them this summer for an official visit as well. That will be in June or July, I just need to lock that in and I like UW a lot and like what their program has to offer.”

Ohio State and UCLA are also hoping to get visits as well.

“I want to see Ohio State sometime this summer,” Wilson said. I’m not hearing as much from Ohio State as the other four schools so hopefully things can pick up in that area. I like coach Hartline (WR coach) a lot and have a lot of interest in their program still.

“With UCLA, I’m talking with coach Dougherty (WR coach) and coach Kelly. They’re still coming hard and I have a great comfort level there. When I talk with them, it’s like talking to my mom because of how comfortable I am with them. The school is so close to home, I feel like I can go up there any time and check in. They’re in my backyard and it always feel like home when I’m up there on campus.”

As for a timeframe for a decision, Wilson said it could be sooner than originally expected.

“I was planning to commit at the Under Armour All-American Game,” Wilson said. “Now, I think I might want to do it at the end of the summer before my season gets here. I’m not sure about that yet and I’m going to take my visits and see how I feel but part of me wants to get it done early and get it out of the way.

“It would be great to be able to just focus on my senior year and my football season without worrying about recruiting. Like I said, nothing is set in stone right now but starting to lean in that direction a little bit now.”

In comments to article - "Saw Wilson on Saturday and he said he's planning to take unofficial and official visits in June to see Texas. I think Oregon and Texas are on top right now with the Ducks holding a slight edge."

"A slight edge"? Dude hasn't even visited us yet. That's a pretty big edge right there.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

"A slight edge"? Dude hasn't even visited us yet. That's a pretty big edge right there.

Wilson also said in that interview he's doing his OV's in the summer now ( Texas OV will be end of June ) and will commit afterwards.

So if nothing else we'll know what happens with Wilson and Omeire soon and still have Quinton Johnston to go all in on depending on how those 2 go.

Take this FWIW, but Biggins said he put in the that pick based on where he thinks Wilson would go today if he was signing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm not really worried about CB and OL. Pouncey's little brother and Brauns little brother are both top 150 national players. 

Having to keep a 5th OL spot open for George makes it tough to land a highly coveted OL. Whiff on Evans/George, and the 5th OL will more likely be a late bloomer Christian Jones/Isaiah Hookfin type than a highly rated well known type, imo. Which is fine with me, I like late bloomers at OL more than at any other position, and I think the Herman recruiting machine, Yancy McKnight, and Herb Hand can have a good batting average with those types. 

Pouncey might be doable if Ringo decides early enough, but he also has great options, and we aren't taking three corners before Ringo decides (I think we're landing Crawford and Rogers before the season starts), and Ringo might not decide until December

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Tom Loy ( ND mod ) crystal balled Chris Thompson to Texas.  

Feel very good about Lindberg, Crawford, Rogers, Thompson, J Jackson, Washington, Dorbah, and Broughton. Probably should put Collins and Princely in this group, but I'm not quite there yet. 

IT

DAMIEON GEORGE

The 2020 offensive lineman from North Shore is looking take recruiting a bit more serious over the next couple months and may even make a decision. He may also elect to take his time.

Decision timeline?
"I'm thinking about making a decision in the summer, but nothing major. It's 50/50."

Any official visit plans?
"I'm going to take my officials this summer. I plan on taking Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas."

What schools do you talk to the most or have the strongest relationship with?
"Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, .....and Georgia." [He threw in Georgia as I was asking the next question]

How much do you look at scheme or what the offense runs?
"I pay attention to how much they run the ball and how much they throw the ball. I want to be on a team that runs the ball most of the time."

Big OL always want to run the ball, but you're looking good, did you lean up a bit? How much are you weighing?
"Yeah I have. I'm 336."

I've always compared you to Javonne Shepherd: really big, pretty athletic, still some work left to do technique-wise. What are you going to work on this summer?
"My hands and my feet."

While Shepherd says he wants to take all of his officials this summer he may not make a decision until after the season. This would benefit Texas as it's an easy drive to Austin if there's time during the season. 

With North Shore expected to play well into December it would make sense that Shepherd would want to take visits outside of the schedule. It's really tough to play into Friday night then catch a flight across the country and then take everything in. This way he has more time to take everything in and get his questions answered.

Finally, with George being only 16 years old and developing positively physically, he's a player that if Texas lands fans should be excited about independent of Zach Evans. He's not a dancing bear OT, but he is a wall and shield sort that's hard to get around. With better technique he'll also be a bull in the run game who has guard versatility.

PHILIP BLIDI

Portales, New Mexico, defensive end Philip Blidi's biggest current offer is from Tulsa but that will assuredly change as he makes the rounds this summer. 

What's going on Philip, nice film, have you been hearing much from UT? Who else?
"Thank you! Yes sir, I have been in contact with UT for a while now. I've also been in contact with Texas A&m, Texas State, SMU, OSU, Baylor, Texas Tech , UIW and SFA."

Are you taking any visits this summer?
"I've also been in contact with KU. I have plans to visit UT, Texas A&m and OSU this summer!" [he's still getting the UT visit set up, most likely early June]

What's your current height/weight? You're not carrying much bad weight.
"I'm between 6" 3 to 6" 4 and weigh 246. I really watch what I put into my body."

Are you from New Mexico originally? Not too many players out that way.
"I am originally from Trenton, New Jersey. I've been living in New Mexico for 3 to 4 years now."

That makes more sense. 

Blidi has good size and initial quickness and looks to be a good 4i candidate. Level of competition is poor but if you isolate your focus to how he moves it's not hard envisioning him as a player if he was in 6A Texas ball. 

Blidi has a very interesting back story that you can glean from this

JA’QUINDEN JACKSON & CHRIS THOMPSON 

The 2020 duo from Duncanville have long been on the Texas radar, not to mention most schools in the country.

They’re both four-stars. They both lead on their side of the field - quarterback and safety. Most importantly, both really like the University of Texas. You could say the feeling is mutual after the Horns sent Tim Beck and Craig Naivar to Duncanville’s spring game last week. I got a chance to catch up with both prospects after the scrimmage.

“We’ve been working hard this spring,” said Thompson, the elite safety who visited Georgia this weekend. “We’re on a mission to finish what we started.”

That mission is winning a state championship. After last year’s last second loss to North Shore, it’s not difficult to find motivation.

It’s also not hard to see the immense talent on the field.

“We’ve got some great players,” said Jackson. “We know we can make it back.”

Both have their sights on finishing their senior seasons with hardware and rings. Both also have visions of playing at the next level. However, the timelines may be different.

“I’m still enjoying my recruitment,” Jackson said. “I’m getting ready to schedule some visits this summer. Just been focused on spring ball.”

Thompson is already there.

“After Georgia this weekend, I’m set to take an official to Notre Dame on June 21st,” said Thompson. “I’ve been talking to the defensive coordinator, who says coach (Brian) Kelly really likes me and how I fit in the system. (ND) has been showing a lot of love.”

For Thompson, it’s clear what he’s looking for.

“Texas is still my leader, no question,” said Thompson. “It’s almost like I’m just seeing what the other schools have to offer because I know what I get with UT. Love coach Naivar and Austin.”

A commitment before he plays a senior snap is what I’m hearing for Thompson’s timeline. It’s not set in stone, but it’s the most consistent tidbit I hear from people close to the Duncanville crew.

As for Jackson, I believe this pursuit will go the distance, or at least NSD1. His scrimmage performance was up-and-down, and he wasn’t in any mood to smile. Until I mentioned Texas sent two coaches to see him.

Texas, OU, and LSU reach out to Jackson the most. The Horns and Sooners have assured him he’s going to get an honest shot at quarterback. Any school that doesn’t won’t be considered.

Jackson is one of the most determined players Duncanville HC Reginald Samples has ever coached. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, JQJ has the physical tools to play the position, just needs work and reps. Texas looks great here because coach Beck is willing to give Jackson a chance at signal-caller in Austin. That might be the single most important data point in this recruitment.

At the end of the day, the best thing for Texas is that Jackson and Thompson have found commonality in the process. Both see what Tom Herman is building in Austin. Both see a demand for their talents at the next level, and both want the same thing; a state championship ring and Division I scholarship to a premiere program.

UT has made the Duncanville duo a priority for well over a year now. With over 15 schools in attendance for the spring scrimmage, one in particular was the last to leave on Thursday night; the guys in burnt orange.

“Coach Herman and his staff have done a tremendous job recruiting our players,” said Samples. “They do things the right way in Austin. Ja’Quinden and Chris really can’t go wrong.”

I can see both visiting Austin this summer. I can also see both playing in Austin in 2020, it’s just one may decide sooner than the other. Either way, the Horns have put themselves in the driver’s seat.

RANDOMNESS

- HELP WANTED: Linebacker. Athens (GA) senior RB/LB Len’Neth Whitehead received a Texas offer last week. The 6-foot-1, 230-pound four-star has gone slightly under the radar, despite an offer from in-state power Georgia (not sure the Bulldogs would take him right now).

The hard-hitting athlete from Athens Academy popped on the UT staff’s prospect list recently, which was a joy to the family. Texas has done well in Whitehead’s home state since Herman took over. Coach Washington and coach Drayton are very familiar with the region, after grabbing Kenyatta Watson II and Derrian Brown in 2019’s class.

With offers from Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, and South Carolina, Whitehead has some strong suitors. But Texas could move the needle.

I’m hearing Whitehead is setting up an unofficial visit to Austin this summer, possibly June. This recruitment is in its infancy stage, but if/when Whitehead sees UT, this thing might take off. The family doesn’t want a long and drawn out recruitment. And with the Texas staff scouring the country for linebackers, they may have just found one. I believe coach Warehime will see him very soon.

- Here comes Johnny. After months of saying he’ll see Austin this summer, Calabasas (CA) five-star WR Johnny Wilson will take an unofficial visit to UT on June 1st. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound catching machine has every school in the country’s attention.

Oregon and Washington look to be the early leaders here, but Wilson maintains Texas is the school he wants to see up close and personal. With help from De’Gabriel Floyd and Bru McCoy, they’ve painted a burnt orange canvas of what the Longhorns offer to Wilson and he’s buying.

Coach Mehringer and coach Beck are laying the foundation for Wilson, but it’s former Valley Christian (San Jose, CA), now current Texas wide receiver, Collin Johnson, where Wilson sees himself. Johnson’s final season might be the best recruiting UT does with Wilson. Just watch No. 9, and envision yourself.

If all goes well, there’s talk Wilson may return to Austin later this summer. With DGF, Bru, and Collin in his ear, Texas has a shot here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

DAMIEON GEORGE

The 2020 offensive lineman from North Shore is looking take recruiting a bit more serious over the next couple months and may even make a decision. He may also elect to take his time.

Decision timeline?
"I'm thinking about making a decision in the summer, but nothing major. It's 50/50."

Any official visit plans?
"I'm going to take my officials this summer. I plan on taking Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas."

What schools do you talk to the most or have the strongest relationship with?
"Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, .....and Georgia." [He threw in Georgia as I was asking the next question]

How much do you look at scheme or what the offense runs?
"I pay attention to how much they run the ball and how much they throw the ball. I want to be on a team that runs the ball most of the time."

Big OL always want to run the ball, but you're looking good, did you lean up a bit? How much are you weighing?
"Yeah I have. I'm 336."

I've always compared you to Javonne Shepherd: really big, pretty athletic, still some work left to do technique-wise. What are you going to work on this summer?
"My hands and my feet."

While Shepherd says he wants to take all of his officials this summer he may not make a decision until after the season. This would benefit Texas as it's an easy drive to Austin if there's time during the season. 

With North Shore expected to play well into December it would make sense that Shepherd would want to take visits outside of the schedule. It's really tough to play into Friday night then catch a flight across the country and then take everything in. This way he has more time to take everything in and get his questions answered.

Finally, with George being only 16 years old and developing positively physically, he's a player that if Texas lands fans should be excited about independent of Zach Evans. He's not a dancing bear OT, but he is a wall and shield sort that's hard to get around. With better technique he'll also be a bull in the run game who has guard versatility.

PHILIP BLIDI

Portales, New Mexico, defensive end Philip Blidi's biggest current offer is from Tulsa but that will assuredly change as he makes the rounds this summer. 

What's going on Philip, nice film, have you been hearing much from UT? Who else?
"Thank you! Yes sir, I have been in contact with UT for a while now. I've also been in contact with Texas A&m, Texas State, SMU, OSU, Baylor, Texas Tech , UIW and SFA."

Are you taking any visits this summer?
"I've also been in contact with KU. I have plans to visit UT, Texas A&m and OSU this summer!" [he's still getting the UT visit set up, most likely early June]

What's your current height/weight? You're not carrying much bad weight.
"I'm between 6" 3 to 6" 4 and weigh 246. I really watch what I put into my body."

Are you from New Mexico originally? Not too many players out that way.
"I am originally from Trenton, New Jersey. I've been living in New Mexico for 3 to 4 years now."

That makes more sense. 

Blidi has good size and initial quickness and looks to be a good 4i candidate. Level of competition is poor but if you isolate your focus to how he moves it's not hard envisioning him as a player if he was in 6A Texas ball. 

Blidi has a very interesting back story that you can glean from this

JA’QUINDEN JACKSON & CHRIS THOMPSON 

The 2020 duo from Duncanville have long been on the Texas radar, not to mention most schools in the country.

They’re both four-stars. They both lead on their side of the field - quarterback and safety. Most importantly, both really like the University of Texas. You could say the feeling is mutual after the Horns sent Tim Beck and Craig Naivar to Duncanville’s spring game last week. I got a chance to catch up with both prospects after the scrimmage.

“We’ve been working hard this spring,” said Thompson, the elite safety who visited Georgia this weekend. “We’re on a mission to finish what we started.”

That mission is winning a state championship. After last year’s last second loss to North Shore, it’s not difficult to find motivation.

It’s also not hard to see the immense talent on the field.

“We’ve got some great players,” said Jackson. “We know we can make it back.”

Both have their sights on finishing their senior seasons with hardware and rings. Both also have visions of playing at the next level. However, the timelines may be different.

“I’m still enjoying my recruitment,” Jackson said. “I’m getting ready to schedule some visits this summer. Just been focused on spring ball.”

Thompson is already there.

“After Georgia this weekend, I’m set to take an official to Notre Dame on June 21st,” said Thompson. “I’ve been talking to the defensive coordinator, who says coach (Brian) Kelly really likes me and how I fit in the system. (ND) has been showing a lot of love.”

For Thompson, it’s clear what he’s looking for.

“Texas is still my leader, no question,” said Thompson. “It’s almost like I’m just seeing what the other schools have to offer because I know what I get with UT. Love coach Naivar and Austin.”

A commitment before he plays a senior snap is what I’m hearing for Thompson’s timeline. It’s not set in stone, but it’s the most consistent tidbit I hear from people close to the Duncanville crew.

As for Jackson, I believe this pursuit will go the distance, or at least NSD1. His scrimmage performance was up-and-down, and he wasn’t in any mood to smile. Until I mentioned Texas sent two coaches to see him.

Texas, OU, and LSU reach out to Jackson the most. The Horns and Sooners have assured him he’s going to get an honest shot at quarterback. Any school that doesn’t won’t be considered.

Jackson is one of the most determined players Duncanville HC Reginald Samples has ever coached. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, JQJ has the physical tools to play the position, just needs work and reps. Texas looks great here because coach Beck is willing to give Jackson a chance at signal-caller in Austin. That might be the single most important data point in this recruitment.

At the end of the day, the best thing for Texas is that Jackson and Thompson have found commonality in the process. Both see what Tom Herman is building in Austin. Both see a demand for their talents at the next level, and both want the same thing; a state championship ring and Division I scholarship to a premiere program.

UT has made the Duncanville duo a priority for well over a year now. With over 15 schools in attendance for the spring scrimmage, one in particular was the last to leave on Thursday night; the guys in burnt orange.

“Coach Herman and his staff have done a tremendous job recruiting our players,” said Samples. “They do things the right way in Austin. Ja’Quinden and Chris really can’t go wrong.”

I can see both visiting Austin this summer. I can also see both playing in Austin in 2020, it’s just one may decide sooner than the other. Either way, the Horns have put themselves in the driver’s seat.

RANDOMNESS

- HELP WANTED: Linebacker. Athens (GA) senior RB/LB Len’Neth Whitehead received a Texas offer last week. The 6-foot-1, 230-pound four-star has gone slightly under the radar, despite an offer from in-state power Georgia (not sure the Bulldogs would take him right now).

The hard-hitting athlete from Athens Academy popped on the UT staff’s prospect list recently, which was a joy to the family. Texas has done well in Whitehead’s home state since Herman took over. Coach Washington and coach Drayton are very familiar with the region, after grabbing Kenyatta Watson II and Derrian Brown in 2019’s class.

With offers from Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, and South Carolina, Whitehead has some strong suitors. But Texas could move the needle.

I’m hearing Whitehead is setting up an unofficial visit to Austin this summer, possibly June. This recruitment is in its infancy stage, but if/when Whitehead sees UT, this thing might take off. The family doesn’t want a long and drawn out recruitment. And with the Texas staff scouring the country for linebackers, they may have just found one. I believe coach Warehime will see him very soon.

- Here comes Johnny. After months of saying he’ll see Austin this summer, Calabasas (CA) five-star WR Johnny Wilson will take an unofficial visit to UT on June 1st. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound catching machine has every school in the country’s attention.

Oregon and Washington look to be the early leaders here, but Wilson maintains Texas is the school he wants to see up close and personal. With help from De’Gabriel Floyd and Bru McCoy, they’ve painted a burnt orange canvas of what the Longhorns offer to Wilson and he’s buying.

Coach Mehringer and coach Beck are laying the foundation for Wilson, but it’s former Valley Christian (San Jose, CA), now current Texas wide receiver, Collin Johnson, where Wilson sees himself. Johnson’s final season might be the best recruiting UT does with Wilson. Just watch No. 9, and envision yourself.

If all goes well, there’s talk Wilson may return to Austin later this summer. With DGF, Bru, and Collin in his ear, Texas has a shot here.

Is any pair of recruits more all over the place in their quotes to the media than George and Evans? So now LSU is out of it for George? Who knows, I guess.

I hope we get Bijan so all this nonsense with George and Evans can be a lot more entertaining.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Is any pair of recruits more all over the place in their quotes to the media than George and Evans? So now LSU is out of it for George? Who knows, I guess.

I hope we get Bijan so all this nonsense with George and Evans can be a lot more entertaining.

Everything Evans says should be disregarded, except perhaps that he's playing with George no matter what

It's unclear if everything George says should be disregarded, and perhaps it should be if you believe that Evans is calling the shots, although it's possible that Evans could be using George as a proxy to get info out 

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Don’t stress man.  The staff knows we have a legit shot at Evans and not only is he a beast, it also sends a message to other recruits. He’s the best of the best and other in-state players will take notice.  If Bijan decides he wants to commit, you take it.  But this staff is playing this perfectly.  In a perfect world, we take both.  I’d be ecstatic if we landed Bijan, but we probably have the best shot of any school to land Evans.  Just need to show progress on the field.  That’s all he’s waiting for.

Edited by victory88

57 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hmmm

58 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hmmm

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Hmmm

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

It's like we witnessed a stroke mid-writing

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

(Mike Roach) Four-star DL Broughton talks Texas OV, decision timelinehttps://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Vernon-Broughton-talks-official-visit-Tom-Herman-and-decision-timeline-Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-132173410/

Vernon Broughton is looking forward to his last season.

The four-star defensive lineman from Cypress Ridge is looking forward to one last run, but he’s also getting comfortable with new head coach Andrew Shanle. Broughton said that the transition is going well.

“It feels good,” he said. “I’m getting faster and getting stronger. I’m just trying to adjust to coach Shanle, our new head coach. Everything is going great.”

Broughton recently made his first official visit to Austin. Broughton was part of a group of visitors the Longhorns hosted in early May, and he called the visit amazing.

“Man, that thing was amazing,” he said. “It was nice. I saw some new things. I was just getting to know the coaches more. I already know them, but just seeing how they are was great. My family loved it.”

Broughton is incredibly close with his family. His younger brother comes along on just about every visit, and his mother and grandmother are involved in his life. Broughton said the highlight was the way his family was treated on the visit.

“The highlight for me probably was seeing how they cared for my family,” Broughton said. “Seeing how they did things. It was us hanging out and eating out. Just seeing different things like that was great.”

Broughton was also able to spend some time with the group of Texas commits on campus. Broughton is close with Jake Majors, Logan Parr, Jaylen Garth, and Hudson Card, and he said they all keep in contact via text message.

“We’re all in a group chat,” he said. “We be saying some crazy things. We’re all homeboys. We’re cool and all. We just speak here and there about where we want to go and all. We talk about why Texas.”

Why Texas? It turns out that the pitch from the group of Texas commits is quite simple.

“It’s close to home,” he said. “My family can see me play. It’s Texas. Who wouldn’t want to play at Texas?”

Broughton has four official visits left, and he’s already decided on the second. Broughton is looking to take a trip to Columbus while he tries to figure out what other three schools will receive visits.

“I got one to Ohio State, but I’m still deciding on the other three,” he said.

Broughton is looking to make a decision in August, and he will narrow his list soon.

“I’m probably going to decide near the end of the summer,” he said. “I’m fixing to drop my top six.”

The Longhorns are a lock to make his next cut, and Broughton said the consistency from the staff is what has them so high on his list.

“They keep communicating with me,” he said. “It’s the same thing I always say. If you love me, I’ll love you back. If you love my family, I’ll definitely show you love.”

At 6-foot-5, 286 pounds, Broughton is ranked as the No. 5 defensive tackle in the nation and No. 10 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

The Stampede: Resetting 2020 Texas offensive recruiting board

Welcome to The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly recruiting insider column. This week, with the spring evaluation period winding down (the Texas assistant coaches will be wrapping up their spring travel with school visits this week), we’re taking a look at the offensive recruiting board and who the names to know based on what we’ve learned over the last few weeks. We’re breaking down every position group the Longhorns are recruiting and looking at verbal commitments, top targets and who Texas is in the mix to potentially land heading into the summer.

When breaking down the recruiting board, it starts at the top at quarterback with Hudson Card of Lake Travis, who as of Saturday will be committed to Texas for exactly one year. The Longhorns landed Card as the first member of their 2020 recruiting class and the local prospect is completely locked into his commitment. There’s a lot of optimism around Card’s development and he’s been a stable force behind the scenes and a class leader. With the most important position (except for maybe one other piece Texas could add to the position), it’s time to look at where the Longhorns stand with the rest of their offensive targets.

RUNNING BACK

Zachary Evans, Galena Park North Shore

The five-star prospect has been the top target on the Texas board for a while, but the Longhorns are in a fight with the best of the best for his commitment. The Longhorns have been a constant in his recruitment, but his ties to teammate, offensive lineman Damieon George, might play against them. Primary competition for Evans is coming from the SEC as Georgia, LSU, Alabama, and Texas A&M all pose credible threats.

Jase McClellan, Aledo (Committed to Oklahoma)

The Longhorns have hung around in McClellan’s recruitment long enough to try and flip him during the season. The long-time Oklahoma commit is talking about taking a few official visits, and if he does, I expect Texas to get one of them. The staff has a good relationship with McClellan’s mother and Texas could find themselves in a position to land him if he were to ever decide to move off of his commitment to the Sooners.

Bijan Robinson, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic

As crazy as it seems, Robinson might be the back that Texas is in the best position to land. Texas did a great job hosting Robinson and his coaching staff when he was in for an unofficial visit during the spring and the Longhorns are due to get him back for an official visit in the summer. UCLA and Ohio State are the primary competition for the five-star playmaker, but Texas is a serious contender.

Jo'Quavious Marks, Atlanta (Ga.) Carver

Marks has been quiet over the last few months, but Texas is still in the mix to get a visit from the four-star runner. Marks tried to make an unofficial visit to Austin last fall, but weather interfered and he lost out on his flight. He’s probably more of a long shot, but he’s always shown enough interest to keep an eye on.

Dominic Richardson, Oklahoma City (Okla.) Bishop McGuinness (Committed to TCU)

Richardson is one of the newest offers extended by the staff and he just made his commitment to TCU a few weeks ago. That said, I’ve heard that Richardson has a sincere interest in the Longhorns and he has ties to the state. I’ve also been told that Richardson is planning to set up a visit to Austin soon, and the Longhorns have a real shot in this recruitment if they choose to push.

EJ Smith, Dallas Jesuit

Texas entered the race for Smith late and there hasn’t been a lot of momentum since they offered. The dynamics of this recruitment would need to change in order for Texas to feel good about landing Smith.

Ty Jordan, West Mesquite

Texas offered Jordan last summer and they’ve been holding strong near the top of his list since that time. If the Longhorns push for Jordan as a slot-back, I could see them landing him. That said, USC is making a big impression with him also.

WIDE RECEIVER

Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (Calif.)

Wilson included Texas in his top five without ever visiting and now he’s scheduled to make it to Austin on June 1. Wilson is the second-straight five-star receiver from California that Drew Mehringer is in position to land. Wilson’s play on the field draws comparisons to Collin Johnson and his personality off the field has been compared to Bru McCoy. Obviously, Texas has something to sell, but they’re battling Ohio State, Oregon, UCLA, and Washington to get him.

Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin

The race for Omeire is getting interesting as he lines up official visits for the summer. Texas and Texas A&M have been in a head to head battle for a while, but there’s some serious chatter that LSU is running equal with the two in-state schools, if not in the lead. The Longhorns will get an official visit from Omeire, but they’ll need to do what they can to close strong in this recruitment.

Mookie Cooper, St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic

Cooper committed to Texas early in the cycle, but he decided to open things up shortly thereafter. Cooper was slated to make a visit to Austin in May for an unofficial, but rain caused him to re-schedule. Texas is hanging in here, but schools like Illinois and Miami have been able to push their way in. Texas was Cooper’s first love, but they need to get him back on campus to remind him of that.

Javian Hester, Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington

Hester was offered by Texas during the spring, and they made an impression during his junior day visit. Hester said during the spring that the Longhorns will get an official visit and they should have a good chance if they push for him. Hester is determined to play with friends Myles Slusher(Broken Arrow, Okla.) and Sevion Morrison (Tulsa, Okla./Edison), but Texas isn’t recruiting them at this time. If he decides to break from the package deal, Texas has a shot.

Quentin Johnston, Temple

Johnston fits as an ultra-athletic downfield threat from the Z receiver position and the Longhorns offered in January. Texas is in the picture along with Baylor and Oklahoma, and the Longhorns have the advantage of Johnston’s former teammate Jared Wiley being on campus. The Longhorns are looking at taking a small receiver class and the Z position will be the most interesting to watch as the Texas staff maneuvers to get the best prospects to fit inside the numbers.

Devon Achane, Fort Bend Marshall

Achane is a newer offer and his electric speed makes him an ideal fit in the slot. Achane has devoted his attention to running track for most of the spring, but his recruitment should really take off now that he’s shifting his focus. Achane is expected to make a visit to Austin this summer and there doesn’t seem to be a front-runner for him yet.

Loic Fouonji, Midland Lee

Fouonji is a newer offer at the Z position and the Longhorns are aiming to get him on campus for an unofficial visit during the summer. Fouonji visited Austin for junior day and he’s working on building a relationship with Mehringer. He’s set to take an official visit to SMU in June. The Mustangs have a head start in his recruitment, but Fouonji is content to take his time with the process.

TIGHT END

Jalin Conyers, Gruver

Conyers is the clear target at tight end now and the Longhorns received two unofficial visits from him during the spring. Conyers is from a small town in the Texas Panhandle and his proximity is closer to Norman, Stillwater and Lubbock. As such, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State all pose stiff competition, but the Longhorns will likely get an official visit during the fall.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Jake Majors, Prosper (Committed to Texas)

Texas landed Majors in January, and he’s fully committed to the Longhorns. He fits as an interior prospect at the next level with the ability to play guard or center.

Logan Parr, San Antonio O’Connor (Committed to Texas)

Parr was the second commit of the 2020 class and he’s completely happy with his decision. Parr is a road-grading interior prospect with the versatility to play guard or center.

Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves (Committed to Texas)

Garth is probably the best-suited prospect to end up at left tackle in the class. The four-star prospect committed to Texas during the spring and he said his recruitment is shut down. Garth has great size and athleticism to play on the outside at either right or left tackle.

Chad Lindberg, League City Clear Creek

Lindberg already used his official visit to Austin in May, and the Longhorns did a good job building on the lead they have in his recruitment. Lindberg wants to take his visits and make a good decision, and he’s planning trips to Georgia, LSU, and Texas A&M during the next few months. Texas holds the edge, but anything can happen following official visits. Lindberg wants to make his decision before his senior season, but he isn’t married to that timeline.

Damieon George, Galena Park North Shore

Texas hasn’t been able to gain much traction in this recruitment and it wouldn’t be surprising to see George make a decision in the next few months. The Longhorns need to work to get him back on campus in order to stay in the race and keep their chances high for Evans.

ATHLETE

Jaden Hullaby, Dallas Bishop Dunne (Committed to Texas)

Hullaby is the newest commit of the Texas class and he told me that he’s closed off his recruitment to everyone else. Hullaby fits as a swiss army knife in the backfield capable of playing fullback, H-back, or flex tight end. Hullaby loves the versatile role he can play in the offense and he believes Texas can use his abilities in the best way.

Darnell Washington, Las Vegas (Nev.) Desert Pines

Washington is a long shot right now, but Texas made sure to stop by and see him during the spring. He’s likely a tight end or defensive end in college, but Texas will have to go up against schools like Alabama, Georgia, Miami, and Ohio State to land him.

Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville

Jackson might be the target as the second quarterback take in this class and he appears to be fully on-board with being a passer in college. Jackson has been linked to Texas for a while, but he’s planning on taking his time and dragging his recruitment out. There’s a lot of confidence in Austin that Jackson will be a member of the class, but they will need to hold off programs like LSU and Oklahoma State.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Jo'Quavious Marks, Atlanta (Ga.) Carver

Marks has been quiet over the last few months, but Texas is still in the mix to get a visit from the four-star runner. Marks tried to make an unofficial visit to Austin last fall, but weather interfered and he lost out on his flight. He’s probably more of a long shot, but he’s always shown enough interest to keep an eye on.

Not that it really matters, but Marks committed to Mississippi State today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

I know business travelers that are on the road 75% of year that have fewer flights missed/cancelled than high school recruits.

yep.. the "couldn't put the ride together" hit rate to Austin from wherever.. rain, shine, or sibling's flat tire.. is some next level "tails of the bell curve" shit that I haven't come to terms with from the earliest days of Jerry Scarborough's recruiting faxes. 

1 minute ago, TtomTerrific said:

yep.. the "couldn't put the ride together" hit rate to Austin from wherever.. rain, shine, or sibling's flat tire.. is some next level "tails of the bell curve" shit that I haven't come to terms with from the earliest days of Jerry Scarborough's recruiting faxes. 

It's even worse for College Station

• Like 1
  • Haha 1