Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

You can learn a lot about a poster by watching their takes regarding Evans. There's a slew of posters on various boards who appear to legitimately view him as meh-ish for the hype. They're doing this usually after either 1) viewing the Duncanville stat-line or 2) actually watching that game and not knowing what in the fuck they are watching and not having any context around either NS or Duncanville. 

Seems unlikely that Milton is for sale. I'm interested in watching that recruitment unfold. These kinds of recruitments are the ones we seem to have a shot at winning out west, but the Evans factor makes it a bit harder to read at this stage. 

If Alford is suddenly a real take, I have to assume they're planning on spinning Thompson down. If not that, then what?

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You can learn a lot about a poster by watching their takes regarding Evans. There's a slew of posters on various boards who appear to legitimately view him as meh-ish for the hype. They're doing this usually after either 1) viewing the Duncanville stat-line or 2) actually watching that game and not knowing what in the fuck they are watching and not having any context around either NS or Duncanville. 

Seems unlikely that Milton is for sale. I'm interested in watching that recruitment unfold. These kinds of recruitments are the ones we seem to have a shot at winning out west, but the Evans factor makes it a bit harder to read at this stage. 

If Alford is suddenly a real take, I have to assume they're planning on spinning Thompson down. If not that, then what?

I think Evans is a legitimate 5*, top ten or twenty prospect in the country, but I don't view him as generational prospect or best prospect in the country or whatever superlative adjectives that tend to get thrown around with him. He might not even be better than Milton. Splitting hairs here and it doesn't really matter in the end. I'd love to land Evans, but as long as we land one of these four or five top RBs we're in on, then we got the job done.

Maybe they view Alford as a nickel? He was doing well covering highly regarded WRs in man to man recently at a camp. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I have no idea how to view all the DBs except that Ringo is CB1 while Thompson and Bryson Washington are safeties we'll make room for no matter what.

CB: Ringo, Eaton, Watts, Rogers, Crawford

S: Thompson, Washington, Ransom

N: Alford, C.Phillips

Edited by Scholz
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Most people are regurgitating ej’s take. That guy has no clue.

If going off physical traits the staff has recruited before.

Washington=overshown,

Thompson=Foster

Alford=Sterns

I don't see Washington as being similar to Overshown. Probably closer to Owens. 

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When the best defense in Class 6A is scheming big numbers into the box to stop a RB, that alone is a huge sign of respect.  When that scheme often left a slot receiver in single coverage against a safety playing 10 yds off the ball, you begin to recognize the level of risk Duncanville was willing to run in containing Evans.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Evans is a legitimate 5*, top ten or twenty prospect in the country, but I don't view him as generational prospect or best prospect in the country or whatever superlative adjectives that tend to get thrown around with him. He might not even be better than Milton. Splitting hairs here and it doesn't really matter in the end. I'd love to land Evans, but as long as we land one of these four or five top RBs we're in on, then we got the job done.

Maybe they view Alford as a nickel? He was doing well covering highly regarded WRs in man to man recently at a camp. 

Have you watched Evans in person? Check out one of his run-of-the-mill games this season. I'd be interested in reading your thoughts afterwards, on him and the others from NS in whichever game you catch.

Evans was a generational talent at TB before the final game. I recognize that you watch a lot more than just single games on guys, so that's not on you and you have a valid opinion that I give credence to in this discussion. I just think a lot of people are looking for reasons to neg Evans because of the hype that comes with him. I've seen that phenomenon enough over the years to give me pause. 

• Like 1

IT

RYAN WATTS

The Little Elm corner is the prototype for the new defensive back; long, lean, and mean. At 6-foot-2, 185, Watts was not only one of the biggest DBs at the Under Armour camp in Arlington on Sunday, he was also one of the best.

Watts was offered by Texas recently, and tripped to the ATX last weekend for his first to the state’s capital.

"I felt I did nice to come out here and playing against some of the best competition in DFW," Watts said. "Humbling just to be out here today."

Watts showed he belongs with the best. It's no secret Texas covets the four-star defensive back, hosting him last Sunday on the 40 Acres.

"It was one of my best trips that I've taken," said Watts. I'd probably put them, honestly, in my Top 5, because I really like UT and what they had to say during the 1-on-1 time. I have a good relationship with coach Washington and the fact they do play with a lot of DBs, it gives me a good chance to play early. It's a lot for me."

Where does he fit in the loaded UT secondary?

"They see me at corner because I'm physical and can run," Watts explained. "I'd be better utilized at cornerback."

OU, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, and Cal are the Longhorns' main competition moving forward. He'd like to drop a Top 5 or Top 10 at the end of spring, and wants to commit in August before his senior season.

For the in-state crop, I think Watts might be the best. Jahari Rogers can make a claim too, and Josh Eaton needs more work. This summer will be a good gauge on how these guys get ranked next fall.

BRENNON SCOTT

In the search for linebacker takes in 2020's class, Bishop Dunne's Scott looks the part. The four-star OLB measured at 6-foot-2.5, 228, and for a camp not designed for linebackers, he held up well when caught with a RB out of the backfield or slot in space. His disposition and heavy feet suggest inside backer at the next level.

"I thought I did good, but I still have a lot of work to go," said Scott.

The state's top backer boasts 30+ offers including Texas, Georgia, Oregon, Auburn, LSU, and OU. Ohio State and Alabama keep calling, and Texas A&M is trying to get involved. He's hearing from the majority on a regular basis, including Texas DC Todd Orlando.

"The relationship with coach Orlando is amazing," Scott said. "(Texas) stands high on my recruitment. When I spoke to coach Orlando, he said basically I could play anything. He wants to blitz me a lot, use my pass-rushing skills, and that's part of my game."

Scott is slated to attend UT's spring game in April. He was on campus last January so this is trending well at the moment.

SCATTERSHOOTING

- Carthage OT Ty'kieast Crawford is a man child. The playoff photos posted last winter don't do this dude justice. At 6-foot-5, 313, the senior-to-be continued to slim down and looks fantastic. Today, he's probably not a Texas take with Parr-Majors-Garth in, and Chad Lindberg as the priority, not to mention Dameion George as a top target. Crawford won't stay committed to Baylor as an Arkansas flip looks likely. This kid transformed his body (345 pounds) and technique (better hands, feet) over the last 12 months. Steal.

- Denton Ryan's Drew Sanders is a beast. Known since his freshman year at Lake Dallas, the 2020 QB-TE-DE can do so many things well, and moves with ease at his size (6-foot-5, 225). The OU commit won't be fun in Octobers.

- Highland Park's Prince Dorbah was unblockable in 1-on-1s, but measuring at 6-foot-2, 210 pounds has me re-thinking his projection. It has to be B-backer in Austin, and for a guy that's had his hand in the ground is entire career, that'll be a tough transition. Regardless, Texas loves him and vice versa. He mention UT stands out right now in his recruitment and looks to return to Austin for the spring game.

- John Tyler's Kitan Crawford had good and bad reps. The good news is that his speed is legit and physicality isn't uncommon among ETX kids. The bad news is he's really raw, and at one point drew the wrath of Deion Sanders for jamming his WRs on the line, not letting them get a release. Again, his physical, aggressive play was a positive, but the recent UT offer needs refinement.

CHRIS THOMPSON

After he was a significant part of Duncanville’s state finals run in the fall, 2020 S Chris Thompson Jr. is using this spring to get to know a few schools better, many of them out of state.

“I went to LSU and I went to Clemson,” Thompson said prior to the Under Armour camp Sunday. “I really liked Clemson and LSU. Coach (Dabo) Swinney is a real nice coach. It’s a good school. It’s definitely a school that can work for me.”

Thompson also mentioned out-of-state powers Ohio State and Notre Dame as places he wanted to get more familiar with, but when it was time to talk in-state schools, there was just one option.

“Texas is pretty much at the top,” Thompson said.

He credited his relationship with UT head coach Tom Herman and UT safeties coach Craig Naivar as part of why Texas is near the top of his list right now. He also credited current wide receivers QC coach Ra’Shaad Samples as being a big part of his recruitment.

“He’s like a big brother to me, basically,” Thompson said of the son of Duncanville head coach Reggie Samples. “He guides me. He’s been guiding me through this whole process. That’s pretty big.”

Thompson fielded several Texas A&M questions from reporters at the camp on Sunday, but his answers made it sound like the Aggies aren’t a big factor in his recruitment compared to some of the out-of-state schools he had mentioned previously. At Texas, Herman, Naivar, and Samples all have given Thompson a clear view of how he would be used at the next level.

“I would play everywhere,” Thompson said. “Nickel, but mainly high safety. Kind of like how Caden Sterns is doing, that’s how I’d be used.”
When it comes time to make a decision, Thompson is looking at several factors.

“I just want a school that’s authentic with me,” Thompson said. “I want them to keep it real with me. I want to be around people that I can trust, a great education of course, and a defense that can fit me.”

JAKE MAJORS

2020 Prosper OL and Texas commit Jake Majors’ decision to join the Longhorns was a big deal as it was the third piece of Texas OL coach Herb Hand’s 2020 o-line puzzle. It was also a relatively simple choice for Majors since in his words, all he’s doing is going home.

“I’d have to say every time I visited, it felt like home,” Majors said prior to the Under Armour camp on Sunday. “Coach Hand, he’s a great guy. He’s one of the best o-line coaches out there. He’s a hard guy to pass up on. I felt like it was right for me, and that’s where my heart was.”

Majors was asked if he was still hearing from other schools and if he was listening to them. USC offered this past week, and Stanford was one of the other leading competitors for Majors’ pledge. Majors noted at the camp he was locked in.

“Right now, I’m 100 percent Texas,” Majors said. “I’m Hook ‘Em. If anything changes, I’ll let you know but I love Texas.”

Majors knows he’s a part of the five-man puzzle and that there are two outstanding pieces that remain, Chad Lindberg and Damieon George.

“We’ve got Jaylen (Garth). We’ve got me. We’ve got Logan (Parr),” Majors said. “We’re hoping to add Dame and Chad Lindberg.”

His sell to Lindberg specifically? “Keep in mind that we’re about to do something great. I want him to be a part of it.”

Majors plans to return to campus for the spring game.

JASE MCCLELLAN

What more can a 5-star running back prove at a camp like this? For 2020 Aledo RB Jase McClellan, he told Inside Texas he wanted to work on running through tackles and completing plays.

“It just feels great coming out here and competing with the best in the area, and just showing off my skills,” McClellan said. “I’m just competing.”

Oklahoma earned a commitment from McClellan prior to his sophomore season for Aledo. Since then, he’s still taken visits to several schools including a recent visit to Texas for its January Elite Day. There, he was able to spend personal time with Tom Herman.

“It was just a good experience,” McClellan said. “Good time I got to spend with coach Herman talking personal talk and getting to know each other.”

Although committed, McClellan’s visits show he’s at least open to hearing from other schools, including top rivals of his current commitment. IT asked McClellan what he tells schools that are checking on him despite his commitment to the Sooners.

“I always give every school a shot to show me what they have, show me what they’re offering me,” McClellan said. “I see if it fits with me.”

McClellan said he is currently planning his visit schedule out for the next few months, but said Texas “probably would” be one of the schools to receive an official visit.

9 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

When the best defense in Class 6A is scheming big numbers into the box to stop a RB, that alone is a huge sign of respect.  When that scheme often left a slot receiver in single coverage against a safety playing 10 yds off the ball, you begin to recognize the level of risk Duncanville was willing to run in containing Evans.

[sarcasm]So he still couldn't run for 100?  Pass![/sarcasm]

get out of here with those facts.  facts will not be tolerated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Have you watched Evans in person? Check out one of his run-of-the-mill games this season. I'd be interested in reading your thoughts afterwards, on him and the others from NS in whichever game you catch.

Evans was a generational talent at TB before the final game. I recognize that you watch a lot more than just single games on guys, so that's not on you and you have a valid opinion that I give credence to in this discussion. I just think a lot of people are looking for reasons to neg Evans because of the hype that comes with him. I've seen that phenomenon enough over the years to give me pause. 

Definitely haven't watched him in person. I caught northshore on tv earlier in the season, and watched another one of their playoff games aside from the final. Obviously he's a stud and there's not much to be critical of. But if I'm finding reasons to be critical, I think he has good not great vision, and I think he frequently looks to break the big play instead of taking the given three yards and fighting to turn that into five or six. He actually did a better job of it in the finals than the games I previously watched 

I think more than having specific parts of his game to pick apart, I think when watching him, he didn't scream "this is the best prospect in the country" or "best national m running back in years", and was more along the lines of "yep, he looks like a 5*". It's not a huge distinction, and probably not one worth really discussing. I know there are some analysts and coaches who actually do think he's that good, so maybe I'm off  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

FWIW

Bleacher Report named RB McClellan one of the top ten over-rated players in the country. Can’t find the link.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2820767-the-most-overrated-5-star-cfb-recruits-in-the-2020-class

The 2020 running back class already has the look of a terrific group with six 5-star backs and another 5-star all-purpose back.

247Sports has Oklahoma commit Jase McClellan as its No. 3 back. The 5'10", 201-pounder ran a 4.57 40-yard dash, but he made up for his mediocre speed for his size with a 4.09 shuttle.

He plays quicker than fast, which verifies his athletic testing results. He's an upright runner who does his best work on sweeps and outside zone reads. He could put up incredible numbers with the Sooners if he ends up with head coach Lincoln Riley.

Where McClellan falls short is his ability to run up the middle and withstand hits from similarly sized defenders. He's quick enough to pull away, but he won't win with moves often enough to create more yards on his own. His smoothness makes him appear more explosive than he actually is.

How effectively he withstands contact will determine his upside in college. He ran through much smaller defenders with ease, but he's average-sized for a Power Five back. Compared to other high-end 4-stars and 5-stars, he falls short with his physical skill set and lack of dynamic explosion.

4 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Sam Spieglman, Louisiana and Texas writer for Rivals, said he put in several futurecast picks for Texas 2020 and 2021 targets after this weekends camps. Anybody have the list?

Troy Omeire to A&M

Vernon Broughton to Texas

Xavien Alford to Texas

Bryson Washington to Texas

Malik Hornsby to A&M

Donovan Jackson (2021) to Texas

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

We agree on this one. Evans is a smooth runner with a shit ton of juice, 100M time be damned. 

26 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Adrian Peterson was in the class of 2004. Zach Evans is in the class of 2020. Zach Evans is a fucking monster and is no doubt the best RB to come out of Texas in the last 16 years. Wait till you see what he puts on film as a SR.

Pass pro and ability as a receiver out of the backfield were much less important in the college game 15-20 years ago.  Big, punishing one-cut RBs were the centerpiece of many offenses operating out of the I-formation back then.  Not even the dinosaurs of the SEC use that model anymore.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sounds good to me, as long as we land Johnny Wilson or someone similar.

13 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Losing Omeire would suck but I’d take that haul all day err day.

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Like @Machinator said, if we get Wilson nobody will be thinking about missing Omeire.

I'm interested to see if Texas continues to pursue Omeire. New shit can come to light in recruiting. If you don't have one elite trait, you kind of need to be really, really good in all of the traits. Omeire has not tested well this month and he doesn't do anything truly elite if he's also going to be slow. We'll see, I guess. 

I think Cooper, the dude out of Temple, and Wilson are all top targets and, of course, Cooper committed already. They are going to look far and wide for a burner. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm interested to see if Texas continues to pursue Omeire. New shit can come to light in recruiting. If you don't have one elite trait, you kind of need to be really, really good in all of the traits. Omeire has not tested well this month and he doesn't do anything truly elite if he's also going to be slow. We'll see, I guess. 

I think Cooper, the dude out of Temple, and Wilson are all top targets and, of course, Cooper committed already. They are going to look far and wide for a burner. 

I think Omeire has great body control and is great at making contested catches. Being slow downgrades him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were still a take for us 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is Omeire's comp Collin Johnson? He's not super fast but he looks like a big dude who can out-fight DBs for jump balls and run good routes from the outside.

Edited by satyanash

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Is Omeire's comp Collin Johnson? He's not super fast but he looks like a big dude who can out-fight DBs for jump balls and run good routes from the outside.

They might be similar, but CJ has several inches on him, and long ass arms 

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just curious,  what were your thoughts regarding Collin and LJ coming out? Speed were never their thing but I can't say either one did anything elite besides being big.  The sum of the parts wasn't as great as the completed package. 

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

CJ is elite physically in terms of height and length. This is an example of what I meant earlier. CJ can be not speedy because he's fucking huge physically and can make the contested catch better than probably anyone else in CFB for the 2019 season. Omeire has very good physical size, but it's not elite.

1 minute ago, Fud said:

They might be similar, but CJ has several inches on him, and long ass arms 

This is why I don't think he'll be elite with contested catches in college. He looks great at it now, but he's not battling 6'1" CBs and big ass LBs that can outrun him, and those types are going to all make the contested catch more difficult than anything he'll face in HS.