Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Dude has a crew involved with his recruitment, including helicopter momma. Those types don't usually wind up at Texas. They'll keep after him, no doubt. I don't like the odds, nonetheless. 

Unfortunately, that's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the response!

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Dude has a crew involved with his recruitment, including helicopter momma. Those types don't usually wind up at Texas. They'll keep after him, no doubt. I don't like the odds, nonetheless. 

Yep his crew consist of little league coaches smh. 

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

Sylvester is Roney Elam's cousin and has spent a lot of time on the Aggie campus. He also has some of the same friends that the other Newton kids had/have (Brown specifically). The staff isn't going to offer until the 2nd hurdle is cleared.

He's a childhood longhorn fan, fwiw, but that doesn't always matter that much in recruiting it seems 

16 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

Yep that was 

Can you say how you know this? I'm really not doubting you or accusing you of anything per se. The demands that some top-tier kids make seem to get more and more ridiculous all the time, but this one just seems so outrageous.

I guess what I mean is that I want you to be wrong - not just for Texas' sake, but for Hornsby's as well - but I'm very strongly concerned and suspicious that you are correct.

Edit: On second thought, even though I'm still pretty curious, it's actually not that unprecedented at all. Absurd and way over-the-top, sure. But not anywhere close to unprecedented.

Edited by campcrunk

39 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Can you say how you know this? I'm really not doubting you or accusing you of anything per se. The demands that some top-tier kids make seem to get more and more ridiculous all the time, but this one just seems so outrageous.

I guess what I mean is that I want you to be wrong - not just for Texas' sake, but for Hornsby's as well - but I'm very strongly concerned and suspicious that you are correct.

Edit: On second thought, even though I'm still pretty curious, it's actually not that unprecedented at all. Absurd and way over-the-top, sure. But not anywhere close to unprecedented.

Someone with very close ties to his former school. Kid doesn’t even live with mom. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, campcrunk said:

This would be much easier to pull off, but now if you hire someone associated with a prospect, you'll have to hire him as one of your test assistants, which ain't happening 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thiefery said:

What are the chances that Tom holds on to Card and gets Hornsby?

My take, Hornsby has a lot of aggy around him. AND aggy has a SHIT QB room. He could go and be “the man” as opposed to Texas QB room. Having Card comin and RoJo already at UT there by then as well. 

IT

On Malik Hornsby....
The newly anointed 5* QB (Top 15 overall in the country) transferred from Austin High (Houston) to Fort Bend Marshall. There’s been a snag with the transfer, so Hornsby isn’t currently eligible. 
“I’m not playing this week,” said Hornsby. “I have to wait. Hopefully just one game.”

Hornsby said they have a meeting with the district next Tuesday. He feels like he’ll be deemed eligible and suiting up in Week 2. 

“I’m staying focused on school, playbook, and staying prepared,” Hornsby said. A visit to Austin could happen sooner than later. 

TULSA (too early list) 
The Texas-Tulsa visitor list is still in its building stages. With USC the following week it looks like UT will host some top 2020-2021 targets for the Saturday night game.

JJ Sparkman, Pine Tree (2020)
Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (2020)
Herbert Gums, Dibol (2020)
Lyrik Rawls, Jefferson (2021)
Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (2019) TEXAS
Hudson Card, Lake Travis (2020) TEXAS
Jordan Whittington, Cuero (2019) TEXAS
Derrian Brown, Buford (2019) 

We’ll obviously have a more thorough list for you next week. The list should give us more insight into who Texas really likes for the next few classes.

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

On Malik Hornsby....
The newly anointed 5* QB (Top 15 overall in the country) transferred from Austin High (Houston) to Fort Bend Marshall. There’s been a snag with the transfer, so Hornsby isn’t currently eligible. 
“I’m not playing this week,” said Hornsby. “I have to wait. Hopefully just one game.”

Hornsby said they have a meeting with the district next Tuesday. He feels like he’ll be deemed eligible and suiting up in Week 2. 

“I’m staying focused on school, playbook, and staying prepared,” Hornsby said. A visit to Austin could happen sooner than later. 

TULSA (too early list) 
The Texas-Tulsa visitor list is still in its building stages. With USC the following week it looks like UT will host some top 2020-2021 targets for the Saturday night game.

JJ Sparkman, Pine Tree (2020)
Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (2020)
Herbert Gums, Dibol (2020)
Lyrik Rawls, Jefferson (2021)
Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (2019) TEXAS
Hudson Card, Lake Travis (2020) TEXAS
Jordan Whittington, Cuero (2019) TEXAS
Derrian Brown, Buford (2019) 

We’ll obviously have a more thorough list for you next week. The list should give us more insight into who Texas really likes for the next few classes.

Herbert Gums's hudl is set to private, but I saw it a while back when he was still open.  He looks pretty impressive.  Plays DL/RB and is physical.  In the Mike Williams/Roach mold.  Also has a freshman bro on Varsity who's almost as big as he is already.  Jermichael Finley's hometown.

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Herbert Gums's hudl is set to private, but I saw it a while back when he was still open.  He looks pretty impressive.  Plays DL/RB and is physical.  In the Mike Williams/Roach mold.  Also has a freshman bro on Varsity who's almost as big as he is already.  Jermichael Finley's Lionel Garr's hometown.

FIFY

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tony Soprano said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Card is a stud. I'd take him on and off the field over Hornsby.

I don't know enough about this to agree or disagree with this - I'm not a scout and all I can do it watch HUDL - but I will say that Card's potential looks like it's absolutely absurd. Much as I'd love to have Hornsby, Card looks to be an absolutely incredible take.

3 hours ago, campcrunk said:

I don't know enough about this to agree or disagree with this - I'm not a scout and all I can do it watch HUDL - but I will say that Card's potential looks like it's absolutely absurd. Much as I'd love to have Hornsby, Card looks to be an absolutely incredible take.

I've heard a few people quibble over his throwing motion, but honestly, I can't tell anything one way or the other. Besides, Vince had the goofiest throwing motion in history, and he ended up able to complete a ridiculous percentage of his passes, so I take all that talk with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I don't know if he talks to him any, but Chad Lindberg follows and retweets stuff from a Bears mod named James Blanchard and this guy put in a Texas pick for him about a week ago.

James Blanchard is fucking jkb 

Didn’t know he ended up at 247 after his failed attempt at being a street agent. And Baylor even after Travon got gone for beating up a woman? Good job 247.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

James Blanchard is fucking jkb 

Didn’t know he ended up at 247 after his failed attempt at being a street agent. And Baylor even after Travon got gone for beating up a woman? Good job 247.  

He was trying to peddle the Newton group as a package deal awhile back 

Dude is a clown 

Horns247 Road Notebook: Which recruits impressed this week?

Horns247's EJ Holland and Mike Roach hit the road over the weekend and saw several top Texas targets. Here are their thoughts from their time on the trail.

Commits

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (2020) —The Texas commit was smooth in his debut as the starter for Lake Travis. Card finished the evening 19-of-27 for 238 yards and three touchdowns in a 35-14 victory over Arlington Martin. Card was efficient and accurate, and he showed great touch on his deep passes. Card was deadly in the intermediate passing game, and he showed great zip on throws outside of the numbers. Card showed moves in the running game, but he also faced a lot of pressure from the Arlington Martin defense. Card is primed for a big year, and it was a huge victory to lock him in as the 2020 quarterback commit. — Roach

Offered Targets

S Darius Snow, Hebron (2020) — There have been a lot of questions in regards to Snow’s future position at the next level. When it comes to UT’s defensive scheme, I see the four-star prospect fitting in perfect at the Rover spot. Snow spent most of the game in the box in Hebron’s win over Plano, which ran the ball about 90 percent of the time. Snow fills gaps quickly and can lay the wood. He moves extremely well for his size and has a thick lower half that allows him to explode when tackling. Snow did allow one catch on a broken play, but he was solid covering the tight end and backs on swings and screens. I would like to see more of Snow in coverage, but he is one of the country’s top underclassmen for a reason. — Holland

S Chris Thompson, Duncanville (2020) — It was a pretty easy night for Thompson, the nation’s top 2020 safety, per 247Sports, as his Duncanville team dominated Lancaster en route to a 34-0 blowout victory. Thompson didn’t see any action come his way for most of the game, so he finished with just one tackle and one pass breakup. Thompson is a physically impressive prospect that comes downhill in a hurry and has great natural ball skills. Unfortunately, this wasn’t a game that allowed him to show why he is one of the most sought after recruits in the country for next cycle. It’s a testament to him that team like Lancaster, which has four wide receivers with DI offers, basically avoided him all night. — Holland

ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson, Duncanville (2020) — Man, I love Jackson. One of the most versatile and intriguing prospects in the country, I feel like Jackson is a Top 5 in-state player. The four-star recruit has tremendous speed for his size (6-2, 200) and was arguably the most athletic player on the field in a marquee Dallas-area matchup with plenty of DI talent on display. Jackson racked up more than 200 yards of total offense and two touchdowns, despite missing most of the second half. Jackson showed flashes of potential at quarterback and could stick at the position with some work. But I feel like his biggest potential might be as an outside linebacker. — Holland

Five On The Radar

RB/ATH Kyron Cumby, Plano (2019) —The best way to describe Cumby is electric. While he’s definitely on the short side (5-7, 160), Cumby has 10.3 track speed and is extremely elusive in the open field. He rushed for 237 yards and three touchdowns in Plano’s loss to Hebron. Cumby is currently committed to Illinois but camped with Texas. He is an ideal scat back that can also play slot. — Holland

WR Latrell Caples, Lancaster (2020) —Lancaster struggled to move the ball through the air, but Caples made a couple of big plays as he caught two passes for 48 yards. Caples can take the top off a defense with his speed, and he’s an athletic pass catcher. Caples holds offers from a handful of Power Five programs and could emerge as a potential Texas target. — Holland

WR Zeriah Beason, Duncanville (2020) — Beason transferred to Duncanville from Bishop Dunne late in the summer, so he rotated in and out and caught just one pass for six yards in a blowout win. Still, Beason had a tremendous offseason and should flourish at Duncanville once he fully grasps the system. Texas is taking a closer look at him. — Holland

1COMMENTS

WR Deamikkio Nathan, South Grand Prairie (2021)— Nathan is starting to emerge as a key player in the 2021 class. South Grand Prairie struggled to move the ball all night, but Nathan was the bright spot with four catches for 50 yards in a loss to Southlake Carroll. Nathan is a polished route runner for his age, and he showed some real skill in the open field. Nathan camped at Texas this summer. — Roach

CB/S RJ Mickens, Southlake Carroll (2020) —Mickens forced an interception in the first half, and he locked down the deep portion of the field en-route to a win. Mickens is proficient from a technique standpoint, and he commands the secondary well. The Longhorns have had some contact, and he expects to hear from them now that staffs can contact juniors. — Roach

Edited by satyanash

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wiltfong just crystal balled James Sylvester, Chris Thompson, Troy Omerie, and Dwight McGlothern to aggy.

Sylvester is understandable (great non-offer there, Giles), Omeire is fine, and McGlothern seems like a character fit. Thompson would be a huge kick to the nuts.

Mcglothern is going to Aggy. Ro is his “unc” and like I said before he isn’t getting that adidas money for them to NOT visit and/or commit. He’s also become  a conduit for a couple of those “assistant coaches” in the DFW area. All the while making sure folks know he isn’t affiliated with Willie and his FAST group. The irony isn’t lost on me.

thompson would be ssssskkkeettttttttch. 

• Like 1