T17. UCF
19. Iowa
20. Michigan State
21. Washington State
22. Syracuse
23. Stanford
24. Iowa State
25. Northwestern

Others receiving votes: Nebraska 152; Boise State 118; Mississippi State 111; Miami (FL) 94; Army 91; Kentucky 79; Virginia Tech 64; TCUn 63; USC 47; Utah State 32; Fresno State 32; Virginia 30; Cincinnati 25; West Virginia 24; Memphis 24; Oklahoma State 20; South Carolina 15; NC State 12; Duke 10; Boston College5; Florida State 4; Baylor 4; Appalachian State 4; North Texas 3; Houston 3; UCLA 2; Temple 2; Arizona State 2; Troy 1; Tennessee 1; Ole Miss 1; Minnesota 1.

coaches-poll-top-25-clemson-sits-at-no-1

That should put a twist in aggy's shorts.

Edited by TrashMaster G

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Okie Lite plays the Little Sisters of the Poor before our game, it'll almost certainly end up being a ranked vs ranked matchup.

Depends on how we play in Game 1 v. ORST. If the new QB comes out firing on national TV  on that first Friday night I can see us getting into the rankings and staying there as we beat up on McNeese and Tulsa. If the QB comes out looking shaky we're unlikely to be ranked even if we win those first two. 

Michigan may do well, but they seem a bit high based on their trajectory in the postseason.

aggy at 11 is perfect. High enough that the roller coaster will have a long way to plummet. Exactly one behind us perfect to incite their envy.

Not sure whether UCF is too high or too low. The season is unlikely to answer that well. They're like an interloper from a parallel footballverse

WSU probably about right.

ISU may be too low

I would not be surprised to see Corn (much higher) in the final poll

Edited by Magus Ossis

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

I remain doubtful of Michigan 

From an article in TheAthletic:

"No. 7 Michigan. I don’t know what else to say at this point. The Wolverines weren’t competitive against the three Top 10 teams they faced last season, losing to Ohio State and Florida by a combined score of 103-54. Jim Harbaugh is 1-9 against Top 10 teams at Michigan. But sure, absolutely, go ahead and rank the Wolverines seventh in the country. What could go wrong?"

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

Michigan may do well, but they seem a bit high based on their trajectory in the postseason.

I am pretty mixed on Michigan. I am a little surprised though that the Florida loss is ignored. They did have some key personnel bravely sit out the bowl game, but still, Florida was far from elite and they made Michigan look silly.

With the huge loss to Ohio State, I get where you might say "well, that was Urban Meyer, Ohio State just has their number", but there's no excuse for getting obliterated they way Michigan did when facing a pedestrian team talent-wise like Florida. 

4 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I am pretty mixed on Michigan. I am a little surprised though that the Florida loss is ignored. They did have some key personnel bravely sit out the bowl game, but still, Florida was far from elite and they made Michigan look silly.

With the huge loss to Ohio State, I get where you might say "well, that was Urban Meyer, Ohio State just has their number", but there's no excuse for getting obliterated they way Michigan did when facing a pedestrian team talent-wise like Florida. 

Florida was 9-3 heading into that game and had 5 players drafted off that team. Pedestrian Talent wise seems harsh

1 minute ago, joeycovers said:

Florida was 9-3 heading into that game and had 5 players drafted off that team. Pedestrian Talent wise seems harsh

Michigan had five players drafted too. 

I just meant it wasn't like Clemson missed the playoff and Michigan got stuck with them as their bowl opponent. For the result to be so lopsided, it calls into question whether Michigan was and is a little overrated. 

10 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Michigan had five players drafted too. 

I just meant it wasn't like Clemson missed the playoff and Michigan got stuck with them as their bowl opponent. For the result to be so lopsided, it calls into question whether Michigan was and is a little overrated. 

Im buying Mich this year. Mostly because i see Ohio St dipping without Meyer and somebody has to take that Div over. 

12 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Im buying Mich this year. Mostly because i see Ohio St dipping without Meyer and somebody has to take that Div over. 

I am tempted. I know it's become fashionable to mock Harbaugh but I still think he's a top shelf coach. I expect more from them, though-- the fact that they reacted to the punch in the mouth Ohio State gave them with such a desultory effort in the bowl game makes me skeptical. I thought they'd bounce back better. 

They have Michigan State and Indiana back to back before Ohio State, and while it's a supreme longshot, I could see them dropping all three of those in a situation where they lose to MSU and then letdown against IU. 

Before anyone laughs off IU, that will be a noon kickoff sandwiched between two of Michigan's three rivals, and Indiana has come close against Michigan over and over going back to when Bill Lynch was coaching, with no payoff. 

5 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Before anyone laughs off IU, that will be a noon kickoff sandwiched between two of Michigan's three rivals, and Indiana has come close against Michigan over and over going back to when Bill Lynch was coaching, with no payoff.  

Indiana almost pulls off one or two big upsets every year - SBN wrote a whole article about it: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/21/16514536/indiana-football-losses-close-ranked-teams

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Indiana almost pulls off one or two big upsets every year - SBN wrote a whole article about it: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/21/16514536/indiana-football-losses-close-ranked-teams

They have beaten Mich 1x in the last 50+ years... They might upset someone but odds say it wont be Mich

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...