Maths, stupid finger counting, or is it?

crash_davis

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

why is this not taught in american schools?

Can you imagine the outcry of mouth breathers if we taught that? 

OH MY GAWD! GIT THIS FURRINER SHIT OUT OF MURICA!!! I DUNT LERN MY MATHS THAT WAY!!! WUTS GUD FOR ME IS GUDER FOR MUH KIDS!!!! DERP DERP DERP!!!!

The bitching about common core would be nothing compared to this. We don't care about what's best, it's about what's comfortable and familiar. 

Two girls are playing a word game while adding all these numbers

As I mentioned in a previous post, a million Japanese children every year learn the abacus, which they call soroban.

The high point of the abacus calendar is the All Japan Soroban Championship, which took place earlier this year in Kyoto.

And the high point of the championship is the category called "Flash Anzan" – which does not require an abacus at all.

Or rather, it requires contestants to use the mental image of an abacus. Since when you get very good at the abacus it is possible to calculate simply by imagining one.

In Flash Anzan, 15 numbers are flashed consecutively on a giant screen. Each number is between 100 and 999. The challenge is to add them up.

Simple, right? Except the numbers are flashed so fast you can barely read them.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/alexs-adventures-in-numberland/2012/oct/29/mathematics

Edited by retread

14 minutes ago, WBT said:

Is there some reason they can't picture the numbers in their head without all the flailing about?

The two girls in the post above yours are doing it in their head. If you search for "flash anzan" on youtube, there are lots of videos.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, retread said:

The two girls in the post above yours are doing it in their head. If you search for "flash anzan" on youtube, there are lots of videos.

OK, as someone who did UIL number sense, that's pretty cool

On 8/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, Helobious said:

I use the knuckle trick whenever I can’t remember if a month has 30 or 31 days

I used the knuckle trick on your mom during "finger math" night.  30 or 31 days from now, she'll be telling you about your new little brother.

Edited by Lobo