Justin Tucker

idigTexas

They literally had to alter the goalposts because of our boy and you guys are doubting he makes it into the hall after a 66 yarder setting a record that will likely not be broken in a generation or two, if at all?

NFL goalposts gaining 5 extra feet thanks to 'The Tucker Rule'

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/12851531

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

They literally had to alter the goalposts because of our boy and you guys are doubting he makes it into the hall after a 66 yarder setting a record that will likely not be broken in a generation or two, if at all?

They should have called it the Because Bellicheck and the Pats are bitches rule
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Tracer Bullet said:

Never knew that.  Thanks for sharing.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:50 PM, Dahobbs said:

Mack's teams in general were insanely clutch. If the game was close, we were really likely to win. 

Mack was typically an excellent game manager.  Managing the clock, knowing when to go for it, and knowing when to fake punt.  Outside of end of Tech game 2008, his clock management at the end of halves or games was almost perfect.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Mack was typically an excellent game manager.  Managing the clock, knowing when to go for it, and knowing when to fake punt.  Outside of end of Tech game 2008, his clock management at the end of halves or games was almost perfect.

Mack Brown was the greatest coach I’ve ever seen at understanding the right time to call a fake punt/field goal….

13 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

A couple of years ago, I researched mackbrown-texasfootball.com games that were won or lost on the last possession. Mack was something like 18-1 in those games, and all but a few of those were in the final minute. That was his most impressive accomplishment as far as I’m concerned. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, dcar00 said:

I know you were using him for the joke but erxleben wasn't very accurate and the goal posts were wider then as well.  He could kick loooooong though.  still the only 3 time AA punter.

He could kick it long because he had the aid of a tee. That shit adds at least 15 yards to your distance. It’s no wonder he flamed out as a PK in the NFL. Those straight on kickers were never really worth a shit anyways, historically speaking.

He’s the second greatest punter in UT history though, I have to give him that much.

I’m actually surprised no one dropped Erx’ name after Tuck hit that last FG he just made.

On 9/26/2021 at 3:22 PM, HtownHorn said:

He's got to be in the HOF.

He will, and if not, those voters had to have established an understanding that no kickers will ever be inducted again. In this era of highly accurate soccer style kickers, it seems inconceivable that the guy who holds the record for career FG accuracy is the same guy that smashed the long-standing record for distance.

On 9/30/2021 at 6:41 AM, hpslugga said:

He could kick it long because he had the aid of a tee. That shit adds at least 15 yards to your distance. It’s no wonder he flamed out as a PK in the NFL. Those straight on kickers were never really worth a shit anyways, historically speaking.

I guess that's why every other college kicker of that era was hitting 67 yarders too

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I guess that's why every other college kicker of that era was hitting 67 yarders too

Well I mean nearly half of the SWC had guys that had hit from 65 or further. The tee was one of the reasons. The others were:

1. Goalposts were 5 feet wider than they are today (23’5” vs 18’6”).

2. Back then, if you missed, the opponent got the ball on their own 20. A missed field goal from 60+ was functionally no different than a punt that went through the end zone.

3. In the SWC, you could kick those scuffed up balls that would travel further when kicked.

Either way, that kind of kick hasn’t been made in the Big 12 in 23 years. It takes a special talent to do it and you essentially have to be at the end of a half to even contemplate it.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 9:17 PM, Tracer Bullet said:

Thanks for pointing that out and count me as another who hadn't heard about it. This is from that linked article:

image.thumb.png.ee1f9dd20b3fe253842a6f488304591a.png

uh, what's going on with #4 here? I mean, I know he's "The Holder" but WTF? Couldn't even wait until he got home, or at least the locker room to whack it?

6 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

There were exactly 3 field goals of 65 or longer in the entire history of the SWC.  Erxleben (67), Little (Ark, 67), and Franklin (aggy, 65).  All of them were during the 77 season.

Again, you’re missing the point.

Those FG’s were made because there were minimal consequences of missing. You miss a 67 yarder today, the other team gets the ball at midfield. With the way today’s offenses move the football, that’s just stupid…unless again it’s done at the end of a half like Gramática did. It also doesn’t help that today’s kickers cannot use a tee, cannot use a scuffed football, and kick at 18’6” wide goalposts with the consequences of missing such a kick being drastically worse than it was in 1977. In that previous sentence, I just gave you four reasons why no one tries that anymore and those reasons suffice on their own, let alone on conjunction with each other.

You make it seem as if today’s kickers aren’t capable of making those.

Edited by hpslugga

6 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

And you act like every joe blow average kicker was pounding 65+ yarders left and right.  Yes circumstances today are completely different and Tucker's accomplishment is amazing, but that doesn't mean Erxleben wasn't a great kicker.

I don’t say Erxleben wasn’t a great kicker because of those inbuilt advantages.

I say that he wasn’t a great kicker because he was exposed after those advantages were taken away when he got to the big leagues.

Every great NFL kicker used those advantages when they played in college. Only the really great ones stayed great after they were taken away. That’s the precise and exact reason that when you look at the top 100 all time kickers in NFL history in terms of accuracy (minimum 100 attempts) there are no straight-on guys on that list. You have to scan down to spot 116 in order to find one (Mark Moseley). 

He was a great punter, no doubt. But if you asked me to create an All-Time UT roster with 3 field goal kickers on it, I’m not even considering a spot for him. He can be Dickson’s backup at punter, though.

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

And you act like every joe blow average kicker was pounding 65+ yarders left and right.  Yes circumstances today are completely different and Tucker's accomplishment is amazing, but that doesn't mean Erxleben wasn't a great kicker.

You are vastly underestimating the value of the tee and mile-wide goal posts. If he played today, Felony Russ would be remembered more as a punter than a kicker.

Well, he’d probably be remembered as a total fucking shitbag, but that’s neither here nor there

Just now, Ignatius said:

You are vastly underestimating the value of the tee and mile-wide goal posts. If he played today, Felony Russ would be remembered more as a punter than a kicker.

Well, he’d probably be remembered as a total fucking shitbag, but that’s neither here nor there

Lol I’m drunk and didn’t read hpuggas post above 

10 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Well I guess since the tee and wide goal posts made long distance field goals so easy there must have been some really shitty kickers in the SWC since they only managed 3 65+ field goals in its entire history.

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Well I guess since the tee and wide goal posts made long distance field goals so easy there must have been some really shitty kickers in the SWC since they only managed 3 65+ field goals in its entire history.

Yeah you already said that and you’re still not understanding the point: if he didn’t have that tee, there’s no way in hell he makes those 60+ yarders. Same goes for Steve Little, Tony Franklin, Ove Johansson, etc.

3 hours ago, Ignatius said:

And if the NCAA announced that starting with tomorrow’s games that they’re going back to the two-inch tees, the 23’5” goalposts, the scuffed balls and the consequence of a missed FG moving the ball to the defense’s 20 before they took over, all those records would disappear literally tomorrow…multiple times over.

On 10/2/2021 at 11:33 AM, Captain Ron said:

A good read on why Tucker is so good

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2195316

"Carney also pointed out that Tucker takes a wide approach from his start point - a technique that was popular in the 1970s and 1980s but fell out of favor in the 1990s as kickers began to come at the ball from a narrower angle to increase accuracy.

Being wide allows you to get a lot of turn on the ball, you get a lot of hip and turn and rotation, which translates into power"

Essentially it's a fusing of this principle along with what he also says about core strength. Some of the longest kickers in league history just flat out didn't have that. Did any coach ever look at Sebastian Janikowski, Nick Lowery or Morten Andersen and think "man if only my kickers had their core strength?" No fucking way. They looked at those guys and marveled only at their raw leg power. Justin has the leg power of a Janikowski but he also has the core control of Mike Vanderjagt, which is what makes him such a weapon...especially since he isn't the headcase those two guys were.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...