2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

Just now, Huckleberry said:

That's the entire point of the Senate you doofuses (I wish it was doofi).

Complain about the House. Right now there are 1,050,493 Montanans and one Representative while there are only 529,820 Rhode Islanders per Representative.

Yes. I'm aware of that. We're precluded from voicing criticism because that was it's intent? 

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Harris County went pretty much straight Dem, flushing out the last remnants of the GOP machine that once ran this place. I crossed party lines to vote for Ed Emmett, head of county commissioner's court, because I knew him to be good at his job and a good man, to boot. All I can see about the woman who defeated him is "Would," but she is smart, even if she doesn't really have a clue about how her job works, yet. 

I'm ambivalent. That court did need the shake-up it got last night, but the ONLY reason Emmett lost was straight-ticket voters. 

Oh yeah, rules. 

uxVqXEjN_400x400.jpg

Awful that Ed Emmett lost. He is a capable and accomplished public servant. Local races mean the most to me and political party affiliation means jack shit to me. Sylvester Turner has done a great job as mayor of Houston and I would vote for him again wholeheartedly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Yes. I'm aware of that. We're precluded from voicing criticism because that was it's intent? 

No, you're precluded from voicing inaccurate criticism. What you want to do is abolish the Senate, so say that.

Edited by Huckleberry

I used to be a fan of the Electoral College but after seeing how easily it can be manipulated by foreign actors and subversive forces, I’d say it’s time to burn that motherfucker to the ground.  Plus I’m sick of having my vote not count because my state aligns with the other party.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Agent47 said:

The electoral college is headed for reform. Once Trump is gone. To prison.

Also don't forget the 2024 map will have new electoral votes per state due to the 2020 census. Predictions are:

Texas+4

Florida+2

AZ/CO/NC/Oregon +1 each

Illinois -2

Alabama/Michigan/Minnesota/New York/Ohio/Pennsylvania/Rhode Island/West Virginia -1 each

Adding all that up, it's GOP +5 and Dems -9 (based on the 2016 map)

7 minutes ago, Agent47 said:

The electoral college is headed for reform. Once Trump is gone. To prison.

Haha that's a good one. Electoral college and equal representation of the Senate are bedrock foundation of our government. Both keep this country united and prevent resentment in smaller states that they are being ruled by Californians and New Yorkers.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

Fixing the Senate is very easy. Remove direct election. It was never intended to be that way and has been royally fucked by it.

Term limits are just as good of a fix.  Career politicians are the source of a lot of problems across the board.  

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

Fixing the Senate is very easy. Remove direct election. It was never intended to be that way and has been royally fucked by it.

Give DC their 2.  Give the territories 2 voting members that rotates between them.

7 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Haha that's a good one. Electoral college and equal representation of the Senate are bedrock foundation of our government. Both keep this country united and prevent resentment in smaller states that they are being ruled by Californians and New Yorkers.

Nope. It's gone. Because it's ludicrously anti-democratic. As ludicrously anti-democratic as you are. So, you're gone too.

Pelosi's gonna put you in prison, as a traitor. I can't wait to see you flip on Trump.

All you cowardly right wingers will beg for forgiveness. You'll beg Hillary. 

Edited by Agent47
  • Fuck You 2

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also don't forget the 2024 map will have new electoral votes per state due to the 2020 census. Predictions are:

Texas+4

Florida+2

AZ/CO/NC/Oregon +1 each

Illinois -2

Alabama/Michigan/Minnesota/New York/Ohio/Pennsylvania/Rhode Island/West Virginia -1 each

Adding all that up, it's GOP +5 and Dems -9 (based on the 2016 map)

interesting and very depressing point.  i was doing the electoral math last night without taking this into account.  i bet it is enough for 4 more Trump years, because I have no faith in Florida.

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

interesting and very depressing point.  i was doing the electoral math last night without taking this into account.  i bet it is enough for 4 more Trump years, because I have no faith in Florida.

2024 map.

2020 map should stay the same because it's based on the 2020 census.

Electoral College isn't going anywhere. Nor is the Senate.

They both need some reform, but their entire intent is to protect minority interests from the tyranny of the majority. The have to hew a fine line, and current imbalances are getting to be too great and causing a legitimacy crisis by actually becoming a tyranny of the minority. 

Edited by G650
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Electoral College isn't going anywhere. Nor is the Senate.

They both need some reform, but there entire intent is to protect minority interests from the tyranny of the majority. The have to hew a fine line, and current imbalances are getting to be too great and causing a legitimacy crisis by actually becoming a tyranny of the minority. 

Reform it then. And investigate 2016 because the Repubs stole that election. As they did 2000.

Also investigate 911. Cuz that shit seemed suspicious.

• Fuck You 1

Equally, it can’t prosper without winning more support among women and young people, two groups that find Trump highly toxic. In House races, according to the CNN exit poll, the Democrats carried the female vote by nearly twenty points—fifty-nine per cent to forty per cent. In the eighteen-to-twenty-nine age group, Democratic candidates led their Republican opponents by thirty-five points; in the thirty-to-forty-four demographic, Democrats won by nineteen points. More than ever, the Republicans are a partly of middle-aged and elderly white males.

cb7.gif

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/make-no-mistake-the-midterms-were-a-democratic-victory-and-a-rebuke-of-trump

(note:  I do not agree with the general premise of this article, but it is a good read about where this is heading).

The problem with the Senate isn't the voting rules, it's that some of the states wouldn't qualify to be a state if we redrew the state lines.   

If Wyoming literally had 10 residents, I think most people would agree that they shouldn't deserve to keep state status with 20% of their population in the Senate and 10% in the House.  We would force them to combine in some manner with the states around them.    Wyoming would crease to exist as state. 

Obviously they would never drop to 10 residents.  So what is the minimum that we would allow a state to drop in population before that would occur?  and FYI, not growing is ultimately the same as shrinking.

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You know what else is a bedrock foundation of our government and like, Reason #1 we went to war with Britain?

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION.

Give DC and the territories their representation, bitch.

Not a chance in hell of that happening. The Founding Fathers never intended for DC to have any sway or representation in national elections. Just like how public service unions should have never been allowed, the same logic holds true for DC. The GOP will never let that to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Oh the Dem nominee will be framed as Hillary 2.0 even if it’s Beto or Gillum 

Won’t work. Last night proved The Trump Touch isn’t so golden, and without Hillary actually on the ballot, the R’s lost way too many elections they desperately needed. 

GOP leaders and Trump should be shitting bricks over Wisconsin, PA, Michigan, and Texas.  Their best attempts at trying to tie candidates to Hillary and/or Pelosi failed in three states Trump won in 2016, and desperately needs in 2020. With four major statewide races in Texas coming down to less than 5 points, Texas could be in play sooner rather than later. 

And this is all before the House publicly runs a train on Trunp’s finances and his dealings with foreigners.  

28 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Conversely we just have to live with resentment in bigger states being ruled by North Dakota and Oklahoma. In either scenario there is going to be resentment, the electoral college just ensures that resentment is going to lie the majority of the people.  

• Like 1

Just now, Lagunamadre said:

Conversely we just have to live with resentment in bigger states being ruled by North Dakota and Oklahoma. In either scenario there is going to be resentment, the electoral college just ensures that resentment is going to lie the majority of the people.  

There are a lot more small population states than the behemoth large population states. The large states can grumble and be content with being the economic and cultural centers of the country. If you have dozens of smaller states feeling like they have no say in how the country is run, that would lead to civil war.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Won’t work. Last night proved The Trump Touch isn’t so golden, and without Hillary actually on the ballot, the R’s lost way too many elections they desperately needed. 

GOP leaders and Trump should be shitting bricks over Wisconsin, PA, Michigan, and Texas.  Their best attempts at trying to tie candidates to Hillary and/or Pelosi failed in three states Trump won in 2016, and desperately needs in 2020. With four major statewide races in Texas coming down to less than 5 points, Texas could be in play sooner rather than later. 

And this is all before the House publicly runs a train on Trunp’s finances and his dealings with foreigners.  

Ron DeSantis ran as an unabashed Trumpkin and won in Florida. That should be discouraging as hell for Democrats.

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

There are a lot more small population states than the behemoth large population states. The large states can grumble and be content with being the economic and cultural centers of the country. If you have dozens of smaller states feeling like they have no say in how the country is run, that would lead to civil war.

The flip side of that is a majority of Americans feeling like they have no say in how the country is governed. 

That also leads to civil war.

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

No it wouldn't. It would lead to handful of fucking idiot Bundy copycats that would try who would promptly be arrested and jailed for breaking the laws of our land. 

4 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Or, we could have our representatives do what has been done the vast majority of our history, actually work together to compromise on things so neither group feels completely abandoned and resentful. The point of the split isn't to ensure majority or minority control, but to ensure that the majority and minority have to work together. We have completely abandoned that process the last 8 years and it is disgusting. 

• Like 2

Ron DeSantis ran as an unabashed Trumpkin and won in Florida. That should be discouraging as hell for Democrats.

Glad we can add 1.5 Million ex-felon majority african american voters to the rolls for 2020. I wonder how that would have effected this election? What was the margin? 50,000 votes? 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The flip side of that is a majority of Americans feeling like they have no say in how the country is governed. 

That also leads to civil war.

The coastal elites have the media, entertainment and newspapers to vent to. That is a release on the pressure valve of pent up anger that the smaller states don't.

Glad we can add 1.5 Million ex-felon majority african american voters to the rolls for 2020. I wonder how that would have effected this election? What was the margin? 50,000 votes? 

interesting point.  even at a 10% turnout rate, that nets 50k if they go 2-1 democratic.

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Or, we could have our representatives do what has been done the vast majority of our history, actually work together to compromise on things so neither group feels completely abandoned and resentful. The point of the split isn't to ensure majority or minority control, but to ensure that the majority and minority have to work together. We have completely abandoned that process the last 8 years and it is disgusting. 

Well, in fairness, we shouldn't have elected that, umm, "hard r" president a few years back.  I mean, he wore a tan suit, and that REALLY pissed a lotta people off.

If we break California down to a plurality of states each having a population equivalent to Wyoming, we could add 67 states to the union.  This arrangement will be much more fair from the democratic - one person = one vote - perspective while also keeping the founding father worshipers happy.  A very reasonable proposal, imo. 

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Maybe. But Florida also just completely changed the make up of its voters. Florida will still Florida, but in new and surprising ways I think. 

7 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Americans, people, anyone with a brain. 

Florida is the ass of America

Texas is America's America

and beat rolls on. 

someone is giving booze to these goddamn animals

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

interesting point.  even at a 10% turnout rate, that nets 50k if they go 2-1 democratic.

And if you think a group of recently re-enfranchished people are going to vote at 10% levels, I'll have what you're smoking. 

You probably don't crave a turkey sandwich every day, but if somebody forbid you from eating a turkey sandwich for 20 years, your ass would be neck deep in turkey sandwiches when that prohibition was lifted. 

2 minutes ago, staboner said:

Americans, people, anyone with a brain. 

Florida is the ass of America

Texas is America's America

and beat rolls on. 

someone is giving booze to these goddamn animals

You were grousing about Texans being idiots last night and were looking to get out. Where are you looking to move now? I love the condescension of people badmouthing our state and its people while enjoying all of the great things about Texas which includes being a low tax, business friendly, conservative state. 

And if you think a group of recently re-enfranchished people are going to vote at 10% levels, I'll have what you're smoking. 

You probably don't crave a turkey sandwich every day, but if somebody forbid you from eating a turkey sandwich for 20 years, your ass would be neck deep in turkey sandwiches when that prohibition was lifted. 

The hardest thing in the world is to get someone to vote that isn't used to voting.  These people are going to be poor and they're going to be minorities.  I hope there is some massive pride in it so they all go out and get registered, but I bet it wouldn't be huge.  I bet that they will substantially underperform whatever their constituent non-felon category is.  White ex cons will vote less than whites writ large.  Same with black.  

Many suffrage supporters anticipated a new political age after passage of the Nineteenth Amendment in 1920. Despite these hopes for transformation of the polity, today women have only begun to realize their electoral potential. Whether woman's role as voter will ultimately reconfirm the status quo or radically alter political life remains an open question.
After the Nineteenth Amendment was ratified, only a minority of women registered to vote (League of Women Voters 1983). Statistics in New York and Illinois from the early 1920s indicate that between 35 and 46 percent of eligible women actually voted. At that same time, nearly 75 percent of men cast their votes (Chafe 1972, 30). In the mid-1920s, politicians recognized that "the mass of female citizens failed to act in the cohesive and committed manner which the suffragists had predicted" (Chafe 1972, 29).

You were grousing about Texans being idiots last night and were looking to get out. Where are you looking to move now? I love the condescension of people badmouthing our state and its people while enjoying all of the great things about Texas which includes being a low tax, business friendly, conservative state. 

It's not low tax.