2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

11 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The coastal elites have the media, entertainment and newspapers to vent to. That is a release on the pressure valve of pent up anger that the smaller states don't.

Hey, sorry we passed these laws based on biblical teachings that prohibit you in California from doing X, Y, and Z. But hey, you have a newspaper in your city you can go complain to. 

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

The hardest thing in the world is to get someone to vote that isn't used to voting.  These people are going to be poor and they're going to be minorities.  I hope there is some massive pride in it so they all go out and get registered, but I bet it wouldn't be huge.  I bet that they will substantially underperform whatever their constituent non-felon category is.  White ex cons will vote less than whites writ large.  Same with black.  

Many suffrage supporters anticipated a new political age after passage of the Nineteenth Amendment in 1920. Despite these hopes for transformation of the polity, today women have only begun to realize their electoral potential. Whether woman's role as voter will ultimately reconfirm the status quo or radically alter political life remains an open question.
After the Nineteenth Amendment was ratified, only a minority of women registered to vote (League of Women Voters 1983). Statistics in New York and Illinois from the early 1920s indicate that between 35 and 46 percent of eligible women actually voted. At that same time, nearly 75 percent of men cast their votes (Chafe 1972, 30). In the mid-1920s, politicians recognized that "the mass of female citizens failed to act in the cohesive and committed manner which the suffragists had predicted" (Chafe 1972, 29).

While I agree with your point to an extent, comparing this to the 1920's is apples to oranges. There weren't hoards of hipsters walking around minority neighborhoods in the 1920's trying to get out the vote. There wasn't facebook in 1920, I don't even think there was internet back then but I'll need to double check. There were poll taxes in 1920. There were lynchings and hangings and KKK and burning crosses and literacy tests in 1920.  

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Hey, sorry we passed these laws based on biblical teachings that prohibit you in California from doing X, Y, and Z. But hey, you have a newspaper in your city you can go complain to. 

You're forgetting movies, award shows, social media, etc being based in big states where they can feel like they can do their pontificating and persuading. Someone in Wyoming doesn't have that avenue. 

12 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You were grousing about Texans being idiots last night and were looking to get out. Where are you looking to move now? I love the condescension of people badmouthing our state and its people while enjoying all of the great things about Texas which includes being a low tax, business friendly, conservative state. 

The world is full of idiots. Texas has a nice middle class of them - to your points there 

Me getting out is a decade in the making. Watching Greg Davis throw sideways last night isn't driving shit my friend. It went as expected, which is part of the deal that I know is never going to be rationally discussed or acted on by anyone - from this board to our government. Its all good. Keep the show rolling. 

Edited by staboner

I could only follow twitter and The-Mainboard last night, but nothing else seeing GA-06 flip is a silver lining I'll take right now. That was a hyper-gerrymandered seat for fucking Newt pieceofshit Gingrich and never thought to have a chance at going blue. White educated and non-white women turned the fuck out last night in a non-presidential year and flipped that seat, GA-07 may still flip or if it doesn't it will almost certainly flip in 2020. I don't think it can be overstated that getting educated white women and non-white women in the suburbs to turn out is showing to be a winning strategy.

• Like 1

Just now, GSU&UT said:

I could only follow twitter and The-Mainboard last night, but nothing else seeing GA-06 flip is a silver lining I'll take right now. That was a hyper-gerrymandered seat for fucking Newt pieceofshit Gingrich and never thought to have a chance at going blue. White educated and non-white women turned the fuck out last night in a non-presidential year and flipped that seat, GA-07 may still flip or if it doesn't it will almost certainly flip in 2020. I don't think it can be overstated that getting educated white women and non-white women in the suburbs to turn out is showing to be a winning strategy.

Ossoff and a billion dollars couldn't do it.  But Lucy McBath took that bitch out.

• Like 2

Just now, Js1 said:

Ossoff and a billion dollars couldn't do it.  But Lucy McBath took that bitch out.

I think the lack of exposure, but also trying to run Ossoff as a milquetoast centrist didn't help either. I really think you don't go hard for centrists in educated districts, I really feel like we can see through that bullshit that it only helps the right. People online whined and bitched so much about Abrams and gun control and how that sunk her, but here is a district where a fuckload of white people voted for McBath WHO RAN WITH Everytown endorsement!!

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

Now think about Texas, 15% margin for Romney, 9% margin for Trump and 2.5% margin for the Weasel. I see a trend and the right candidate can win this thing in 2020 and for sure in 2024 if the republican party continues down the Trumpkin track.

Georgia has already cast more ballots for Abrams than for Obama in both elections. Texas and Georgia are so close if we can get young and educated people to turnout and see continued immigration from western/northern states to the sun belt.

Just now, GSU&UT said:

Georgia has already cast more ballots for Abrams than for Obama in both elections. Texas and Georgia are so close if we can get young and educated people to turnout and see continued immigration from western/northern states to the sun belt.

We are currently in a very weird pattern where the Sun Belt is close, but not quite there yet, which is hurting the ability to offset Ohio/Florida until it slowly crosses the line.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Now think about Texas, 15% margin for Romney, 9% margin for Trump and 2.5% margin for the Weasel. I see a trend and the right candidate can win this thing in 2020 and for sure in 2024 if the republican party continues down the Trumpkin track.

You skipped Cornyn's 27% win over Alameel. Just sayin'.

But you're absolutely right in terms of high turnout elections.

Edited by Huckleberry

58 minutes ago, Agent47 said:

Reform it then. And investigate 2016 because the Repubs stole that election. As they did 2000.

Also investigate 911. Cuz that shit seemed suspicious.

1 hour ago, Agent47 said:

Nope. It's gone. Because it's ludicrously anti-democratic. As ludicrously anti-democratic as you are. So, you're gone too.

Pelosi's gonna put you in prison, as a traitor. I can't wait to see you flip on Trump.

All you cowardly right wingers will beg for forgiveness. You'll beg Hillary. 

Holy shit. Guess we're just ignoring this lunatic?

• Haha 1

This is the type of stuff that you have to dig into to find, but Gwinnett county in Georgia is an educated district that is seeing a ton of white northerners but also a ton of non-whites move to. It used to be deep red with a high percentage of white people but that has rapidly changed in the past 2-4 years and is now considered the most diverse county in Georgia.

8 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yet we are still winning elections. 

Well not with culture wars anymore. Family values not even close. Bringing dignity back to the White House as was in 2000 is out. School prayer? Nope the evangelicals have lost all credibility by supporting Trump. Now it is being won on out right hate. That can only last so long because like Republicans say America always does the right thing in the end.

Yes, Williamson County was interesting.

Straight Ticket R - 65,123 (54.24%)
Straight Ticket D - 53,975 (44.95%)

Cruz - 99,008
O'Rourke - 104,766

Carter - 98,790
Hegar - 102,106

Abbott - 111,284
Valdez - 89,089

Patrick - 100,687
Collier - 97,407

Paxton - 97,340
Nelson - 99,372

Essentially it is still a +R county, but they will lose it moving forward if they put up terrible candidates.

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

Will Hurd isn't out of the woods yet. Close enough to force a recount. 

Konni Burton, Matt Rinaldi, and the jackass that wrote the bathroom bill are all gone. That's good news.

If you had offered me these results in a take or leave it deal a year ago I would have been quick to sign. 

Kolkhorst sponsored the bathroom bill.  She wasn't up for election.

12 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Now it is being won on out right hate. That can only last so long because like Republicans say America always does the right thing in the end.

You are right there to a point.  As long as both sides are more worried about being right and winning and calling the other side names rather then finding a actual solution to issues we will just go back and forth with each side just keeping the other in check.  Both sides have gone so extreame with their views it’s crazy.  Until both find people that are willing to compermise on issues the government is going to be a shit show. 

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You skipped Cornyn's 27% win over Alameel. Just sayin'.

But you're absolutely right in terms of high turnout elections.

We were not in Trump world yet and Cornyn is the type of Republican I have voted for in the past. Republicans have now capitulated to Trumpism and they all need to be defeated.

Ron DeSantis ran as an unabashed Trumpkin and won in Florida. That should be discouraging as hell for Democrats.
It is. I can't believe that shitbag won, and by a bigger margin than Rick Scott. I've written of FL as a red state at this point much like I have OH. Won't count on it at all for the Ds except in elections they'd win anyway with PA, MI, and WI in hand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I wonder what people will say about our generation when they are rooting for us to die to get us out of the electorate.  Probably something like fucking gen x'ers all they know is that urban people hate city people and city people hate urban people.

Oh well.

Whatever.

Never mind.

Maybe. But Florida also just completely changed the make up of its voters. Florida will still Florida, but in new and surprising ways I think. 
DeSantis will find ways to supress that population which would already be very lowe turnout. I don't expect it to move the needle.

Just now, ajax said:

North Dakota voted against legalizing pot which is insane. 

I don't like pot but I don't like penicillin, novacaine or codeine either. Crazy that pot is still illegal.

2020 platform - healthcare, pot, net neutrality, voting rights.

59 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The culture war is over. The right lost.

The culture war is almost over. And culture itself is about to lose.

28 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

This gave me a huge afternoon pick me up.

I like this idea (the Democrats will never do it) 

Start the Voter Suppression Hearings Now and Don't Stop

We need campaign finance reform, and we need to fix gerrymandering. But the sort of bald, outright, muscular voter suppression that Republicans are now engaged in cries for an even more immediate response. It is one thing for us to have a system designed to be undemocratic, necessitating a structural change; it is another thing for Republicans to simply abuse their power to bully and harass vulnerable people away from the polls. Until the Democrats can somehow get enough power to make the structural changes, they need to stand up against the bullying and racism and xenophobia that are now accepted as normal parts of electioneering.

The House can hold hearings on voter suppression. They can start immediately. They can subpoena every fucking Republican secretary of state who can reasonably be judged to have assisted in the suppression of minority voters. They can subpoena law enforcement officials. They can subpoena campaign staffers. They can subpoena poll workers. They can call in all types of political science professors and statisticians and sociologists to explain in detail what is happening. They can invite Michelle Alexander to read the entirety of The New Jim Crow into the Congressional record. They can draw attention. They can make noise. They should, and they must. The more you let the overt oppression slide, the more it will be seen as the standard playbook for the next election.

Donald Trump is an idiot savant who understands one single thing about politics: the theater. He does not know about laws. He does not know the Constitution. He does not know ethics, or conservative principles, or budgets. He knows how to put on a show. The fact that he is now the fucking president demonstrates how important a show is in politics. Democrats can also put on a show—one that has the added benefit of being righteous, and using true facts. Subpoena Brian Kemp and his entire campaign staff and drag them before Congress and harangue them for being racists and if they don’t come, harangue an empty fucking chair with a Brian Kemp name tag in front of it, live on CNN. Besides making a very salient point, do you know who might appreciate such a spectacle? The people whose votes are being suppressed.

https://splinternews.com/start-the-voter-suppression-hearings-now-and-dont-stop-1830280410

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yet we are still winning elections. 

Yes Republicans are good at winning elections, but it's not because their positions are popular. Progressive policies are favored by the majority of the country.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

It is. I can't believe that shitbag won, and by a bigger margin than Rick Scott. I've written of FL as a red state at this point much like I have OH. Won't count on it at all for the Ds except in elections they'd win anyway with PA, MI, and WI in hand.

The newly eligible 1.4 million felons will have a say in how Florida leans going forward. It should be competitive in 2020, and not a state to write off.

34 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The media was obsessed with the Senate races because they're easier to follow but the House results were bad to terrible for the GOP and it's getting very little play.  They lost seats in Oklahoma, Salt Lake City, and Charleston for God's sake.  

Georgia too, two of these races here are going into a recount it looks like.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

The culture war is almost over. And culture itself is about to lose.

This gave me a huge afternoon pick me up.

A least one of the female Muslim new Congresswomen wasn’t wearing a disgusting hijab which is something I guess. I will never support Muslims gaining political clout in this country considering what they have done in my ancestral homeland and everywhere else in the Middle East. There is a reason why the educated, Westernized people in the Middle East and religious minorities like the Copts wholeheartedly support dictators like Sisi in Egypt. The Muslim electorate is a danger to anyone who cares about freedom. Before you bitch that I’m an Islamophobe, my family is Muslim.