Grade Todd Orlando tonight

TexArcher

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Hubbard was averaging 6.92 YPC coming in.  He ran for 3.27 YPC with a long of 13 yds vs Texas.  He also was TFLed 6 times for 17 yards in losses and 4 times for no gain.

Sanders' passer rating was 181.79 with 7 TD, 1 INT through 3 games:  117.23 vs Texas with 0 TD and 2 INT.

Wallace averaged 26.0 yds per catch coming in.  He had 16.6 YPC vs Texas.

Prior 3 OSU opponents inflicted a total of 2 sacks, 13 TFLs and 7 PBUs.  The Texas defense virtually equaled that in one game: 2 sacks, 12 TFLs, 6 PBUs.

That'll be the most talented Defense OSU sees all year

We won so the defense was good enough. At this point you think people would see the trend that Texas under Herman can play with anyone and down to anyone so I expect it to be like that every game until they prove me wrong. 

They could play Bama next week and win or lose 45-42 and then play Baylor and win 48-40. That's more maddening to me.

I gave it about 88. Coulda been better, but coulda been a whole lot worse.

Mosta the deductions are for (still) having totally uncovered receivers 10+ yards downfield, and letting a fast-ass QB continually get outside. 

On the other hand the redzone D was A++, forcing fieldgoals and turnovers on downs. And especially so after ST disasters. Dunno if PR/KR is on Horny, but the responsible "coach" needs a grade-A ass-kicking. That shit is inexfuckingscusable.

Not about the D, but this bullshit late-game turtle act is dumber than shit. Saint Darrell always said ya gotta dance with who brung ya, and that's what we need to do. Ain't saying we need to run up the score, but we damn sure need to focus on keeping possession while we're running clock. Running inside again and again and again for 3-n-out won't cut it. 

Oh, and one last ST observation; facing an obvious onside KO and having OL on the front line is beyond stupid - you don't GAF about a runback, all you need is ti catch the fucking ball, and having anyone but receivers and backs up there is on the same level of fuckery with sliding to field punts. Stop that shit.

One thing I know is that we finally have athletic if inexperienced depth.

Another thing I know is that it’s just a matter of time before Coburn is a consistent beast.

A third thing I know is that Ossai is on track to be a conference defensive POY before he goes pro.

As far as the game goes, I give the defense a B+. It’s a good thing Jones stayed upright because he was a coach on the field in the best sense last night. He got people aligned and probably saved us from multiple blown assignments after the injuries took hold.

14 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

We are very lucky that Gundy was so hell bent on running the ball with Chubby instead of throwing it 50+ times or using more QB runs. I mean most of our starting secondary was out and he kept running it over and over again.

I wondered how much the wind had to do with that gameplan.  It was blowing about as hard as South Austin's mom.  

But coming in, Sanders hadn't gotten to 25 attempts in any game.  They actually threw it quite a bit more last night.  I think they just want to be a team that pounds it 30 times a game with Chuba and takes a few deep shots to Wallace.

Edited by TexArcher

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

I wonderee how much the wind had to do with that gameplan.  It was blowing about as hard as South Austin's mom.  

But coming in, Sanders had gotten to 25 attempts in any game.  They actually threw it more last night than in any other.  I think they just want to be a team that pounds it 30 times a game with Chuba and takes a few deep shots to Wallace.

They were running a conservative ball control offense down 2 scores with 5 mins left. It was incredible. 

6 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

C.

Teach players to drive through a tackle with their feet while wrapping up the ball carriers body.  Don’t dive at legs and knees where their knee can dislocate your head or shoulder.  

When a QB gets the edge on you 9 times, you might want to have you edge defenders play outside leverage on their blockers on the 10th aand 11th etc.  

We had to double Wallace or leave a safety over the top and still help the other CB, especially once Green went down. That plus having to respect the inside run game with Hubbard means you can’t stop everything. He chose to live with Snaders running, but he did spy Sanders some in the 4th.

that and our offense going 3 and our a ton meant our D had to defend for 89 plays tonight, the majority of those in the second half. Missed tackles come with fatigue and young guys playing. 

Giving him a C when we only gave up 5.5 YPP and 16 points with regular field position ( he went 1 of 3 stopping short fields) against an offense like this with his personnel and injuries is fucking regarded.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Not nearly as positive about the defense as others on here. They got the win and the defense had some bright spots. However giving a QB so much time in the pocket to throw is going to kill us against OU, and could set us up for an upset or two. It’s keeping games closer than they should be. A few times last night we had positive outcomes despite giving them forever in the pocket, like on the interception.

If he tried to get pressure, our DBs would’ve been exposed and then you’d be whining about all the big plays he gave up.

1 hour ago, fellside said:

I want to say my biggest complaint with Orlando from last night was his inability to adjust to Sanders running. It was like he'd never seen that before. They would pull a lineman to lead block for Sanders and it was 10 yards every time. 

On the other hand, his priorities were stopping Hubbard and Wallace, so you have to give up something.

Overall, good game plan. Not confident about our ability to stop Hurts in a few weeks though.

Again, you can’t take away Wallace, Hubbard, and Sanders’ ability to run. It’s why OSU is a damn good offense even with Sanders still being somewhat raw as a passer.

Specifically this week?

I'm not very bullish on the defense or the defensive staff but I don't see how it isn't at least a B+.

Didn't overthink it and came in with a sound game plan: Limit Hubbard and Wallace, make the untested freshman QB and their far less talented secondary offensive options beat you. The defense came out ready to play and was very physical. Of course they gave up a few big plays but that's part of the deal vs OSU.

Half of OSU's points were gifted. Every single person on here would have been thrilled if you told them the D would hold OSU below 20. The third and long D and the vulnerabilities to running QBs are still there though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'll go A- 

2 INTs were awesome, often stuffed the RB, took away much of their passing game...had a couple problems on the deep ball and setting the edge on/tackling Sanders. He was quicker than I think we were prepared for.

I think Sterns being gimpy even before his injury really affected his ability to catch Sanders on those edge runs.

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

I think Sterns being gimpy even before his injury really affected his ability to catch Sanders on those edge runs.

On two important plays, a TD and an escape on a long 3rd down, Sterns took a terrible angle and let Sanders get outside him. Maybe he used to be able to make the play taking those angles before the injury cost him a step, who knows, but last night he couldn't and it cost us. 

I'm not trying to dog him; he's a stud and angles can be taught/reminded. I hope he's back for WVa., blO-U for sure. 

A-

It was a bend don't break type of night. I was impressed how salty his guys were in the red zone.  Nothing was easy for the OSU offense, they worked hard for everything, even after the gifted muffed punts.  Sanders got away here and there but the tackling in space was pretty damn good.  DBs left some open receivers but closed fast.

If the D keeps playing like this the rest of the season I foresee many wins the in the future.