Halloween/Horror Movie Thread

SimonBolivar

So I watched a movie on HBO Max called The Lodge. It was more of a psychological thriller. Has a couple of “what the hell” moments (you’ll know what I’m talking about early in the movie if you watch it). It dragged a little in the middle but that’s more due to the subject content. I thought it was worth the watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/16/2023 at 3:35 AM, Billy Pilgrim said:

So I watched a movie on HBO Max called The Lodge. It was more of a psychological thriller. Has a couple of “what the hell” moments (you’ll know what I’m talking about early in the movie if you watch it). It dragged a little in the middle but that’s more due to the subject content. I thought it was worth the watch.

Was that the one with Riley Keogh? If so, it held my attention well enough--was a nice slow burn.

The new Exorcist movie with the two little girls looks scary AF! For real. I still avoid the original, it gets to me like nothing else. 

I saw The Nun II. It was kinda meh, though I didn't see the first one and admit I'm not super knowledgeable about the Conjuring universe. It was kind of like, let's run here, let's run there... if a demon, much less Satan was so powerful, how are you shutting the door on it and keeping it out or being able to hide from it? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Has anyone ever watched all the Halloween's, from the 1978 OG that "redefined a genre" to the early 2000 glut with Busta Rhymes and LL Cool J to the Rob Zombie remakes to the last trilogy with an old JLC and co-written by ::checks notes:: Danny "Eastbound and Down" McBride?!?

I've read seen about half and read the wikis for the rest-- it just seems like a very messy and sloppy franchise at this point and it kind of bothers me that there is no definitive canon or origin story for Michael Myers evil and motives and superhuman ability, outside of that one sequel which tried to shoehorn in the Celtic Ruin Cult for some reason.

Discuss.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/16/2023 at 3:35 AM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Nice recommendation.  Enjoyed this yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

What streaming service is this on?

8 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

JustWatch shows it same price on Amazon/Google/YouTube. 

Free on AMC+. 

I will once again rep that AMC+ is one of the best services out there, particularly for this thread. The shudder sub makes it worthwhile, but it also comes with the AMC, Sundance, IFC, and BBC catalogs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/24/2023 at 12:29 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

If any of you have DirecTV, check your email. They sent me a free rental, so gonna hit up Fall after USC puts Ari St away. 

If that's the one where the two chicks climb the abandoned tower it's awesome. Made me super uncomfortable the whole time. I don't do heights.

There's a Hulu original called No One Will Save You that was pretty entertaining. There were like 2 lines of dialog in the whole movie. But I liked it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of the horror movies that are on my watchlist that I'll try to watch in October. Hoping to knock out at least five of these, would really like to knock out closer to ten

Possession

Talk to Me

Terrifier

Terrifier 2

The Wolf House

The Queen of Black Magic

Ravenous

Pulse

Vampires

The Brood

Opera

The Sadness

Come True

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

29 minutes ago, Fud said:

Some of the horror movies that are on my watchlist that I'll try to watch in October. Hoping to knock out at least five of these, would really like to knock out closer to ten

Possession

Talk to Me

Terrifier

Terrifier 2

The Wolf House

The Queen of Black Magic

Ravenous

Pulse

Vampires

The Brood

Opera

The Sadness

Come True

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

Possession is one of my all time favorite movies. 

I enjoy the Terrifier movies but they are really all about cool kills. YMMV

The Sadness is good.

I'll see Talk To Me as soon as its available to rent on apple. Pissed I missed that in theaters. 

So get this.  I started The Lodge but can't get past the beginning because the teen boy looks and acts EXACTLY like my own (future Longhorn) son.  Exactly.  I know it's a movie, but it's hard to watch the kid struggle w/ what happened to his mom.

Hey!  True nightmare material.  Every father's worst fear is seeing their own kid in distress.

Some of the newer horror movies I watched over the past year that I liked

Deadstream

Megan

Smile

Anything for jackson

Hellraiser (2022)

Barbarian

Speak No Evil

We're All Going to the World's Fair

The Black Phone

Some of the newer horror movies that weren't for me

Scream 5 & 6

X and Pearl

VHS 99

Malignant 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Fud said:

Some of the newer horror movies I watched over the past year that I liked

Deadstream

Megan

Smile

Anything for jackson

Hellraiser (2022)

Barbarian

Speak No Evil

We're All Going to the World's Fair

The Black Phone

Some of the newer horror movies that weren't for me

Scream 5 & 6

X and Pearl

VHS 99

Malignant 

We seem to have very similar taste in movies. The new Screams were awful and I didn’t think malignant was as good as others did.

Megan, Smile, Barbarian, Speak No Evil and Black Phone were great.

If you like comedy horror (Happy Death Day, Freaky) then you'll like Totally Killer on Prime right now.

Writing, pacing, editing are all over the place and plot holes abound but still enjoyable.

Btw - Kiernan Shilpa from this movie (also Mad Men and Sabrina the teenage witch) is end up looking like Sweet Dee.

totally-killer-clip-e1696531874839.thumb.jpg.1cd4e2f64eb82458109a464f9dc742d7.jpg

images(4).jpeg.a8bc42ae60b03ee75250ffafa2f3b6d9.jpeg

• Like 1

I decided to watch an old school summer camp slasher movie Sleepaway Camp. 

What. The. Fuck.

Cheesy as hell but that ending. No way that gets made today.

I also watched Sleepaway Camp 2. Bruce Springsteen's sister is kinda cute as she giddily murders everyone.

On 10/6/2023 at 12:13 PM, Fud said:

Terrifier- this is really good for what it is; a throwback grindhouse type of b horror. 7.5/10

Terrifier 2- got damn. 8/10

The Terrifiers are the best slashers since the early installments of the Halloween, Elmstreet, and Friday the 13th classics, although it's more gory than any of those

Saw two new horror movies over the last few days ...

The Thing (1982) was awesome! The special effects was great. Love the mystery of who is really an alien and who isn't.

The Strangers (2008) was good, but felt something was missing. The camers shots where the killers were in the background was scary!

Saw two new horror movies over the last few days ...
The Thing (1982) was awesome! The special effects was great. Love the mystery of who is really an alien and who isn't.
The Strangers (2008) was good, but felt something was missing. The camers shots where the killers were in the background was scary!

The Thing is my favorite horror movie ever. It’s an absolute classic. The prequel is not.

In terms of relatively recent stuff everyone should see Malignant. It’s wild and fun.
  • Like 2