NCAA to Allow Players to be Compensated for their Names, Likenesses, and Images

Seasick Sailor

4 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You would think if an athlete endorsed something along those lines, it would be handled internally by the team, along with the university.

There is also a provision in the law that the deal can't conflict with the "team contract," so I would guess that a lot of behavior, association, and "turpitude" issues are covered there.  So yes, sort of internally.

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Interesting perspective.  

I suppose this is going to be fertile ground for team chemistry issues.  Not only are some going to be better players, or favored by coaches, but some will be richer than others.  Not to mention all the "me, me, me" this engenders.

9 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

So why doesnt McCombs Ford draw up an ad contract for Campbell, Banks, Dewberry, Neto, etc. thats contingent on them signing with Texas?

As I said earlier.....sky is the limit....and quit thinking so small....

• Hook 'Em 2

I have some questions: 

1. How does this play with school licensed apparel? Can an athlete go to a licensed vendor, and get a piece of a jersey sale with his name on it that also bears the Texas logo? 

2. Will jersey sales that bear the athlete's number automatically entitle them to compensation while they are in school? 

3. What about NFTs? Can an athlete sell a picture of himself in a school jersey without the school taking their cut? 

Lots to navigate here. 

29 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

So why doesnt McCombs Ford draw up an ad contract for Campbell, Banks, Dewberry, Neto, etc. thats contingent on them signing with Texas?

No reason and I'm certain things like this are already in the works, and have been for several months, ever since it became obvious the NIL dominoes were going to topple.

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

No reason and I'm certain things like this are already in the works, and have been for several months, ever since it became obvious the NIL dominoes were going to topple.

Dont know the texas NIL law, but the florida law prohibits this. 

2 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:

Dont know the texas NIL law, but the florida law prohibits this. 

The letters of the law probably prohibit it most places.

But once the market value for the NIL licensing rights of a 5* running back with X thousand yards last year, and Y thousand career yards, and Z TDs, for a prospect going to Texas, or Florida, or Ohio State, is established, then there won't be any way to prevent it.

Edited by utee94

42 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

so if a player thinking of declaring for the draft signs with an agent he he declared a pro and inelligible for college play. Can he sign with an agent to help him get the best deals on this NIL stuff?

The law allows players to sign a licensed agent to help with NIL. 

42 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

The law forbids entering into contracts until the player is at the college, and also forbids making the compensation contingent on attending a certain school.

26 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:

I have some questions: 

1. How does this play with school licensed apparel? Can an athlete go to a licensed vendor, and get a piece of a jersey sale with his name on it that also bears the Texas logo? 

2. Will jersey sales that bear the athlete's number automatically entitle them to compensation while they are in school? 

3. What about NFTs? Can an athlete sell a picture of himself in a school jersey without the school taking their cut? 

Lots to navigate here. 

Technically, the law doesn't allow compensation for any school IP/branding.  But as TwiceHorn and I discussed, the only enforcement mechanism is the school/NCAA pulling their eligibility. So if the NCAA changes their rule to allow this, then as long as UT is on board, it could theoretically be done. But as of the letter of the law, this is not protected per the Texas law. Most other states don't have that specific provision.

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The letters of the law probably prohibit it most places.

But once the market value for the NIL licensing rights of a 5* running back with X thousand yards last year, and Y thousand career yards, and Z TDs, for a prospect going to Texas, or Florida, or Ohio State, is established, then there won't be any way to prevent it.

They will still be prevented from actually entering into a contract before getting to the school, and it will still be illegal to make compensation contingent on choosing that school, but yes, functionally once we've had enough years of NIL and the schools show recruits all the data, they'll have a very good idea of what they could make once they get there.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

will still be prevented from actually entering into a contract before getting to the school, and it will still be illegal to make compensation contingent on choosing that school, but yes, functionally once we've had enough years of NIL and the schools show recruits all the data, they'll have a very good idea of what they could make once they get there.

And in the meantime, back-channel communications will take care of the information gap.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The IRS looking at all these NIL deals being made by people who aren’t taught how to properly file taxes

I was never taught how to pay taxes. Got my first paying job when I was eighteen, got the forms, filled them in, sent them off. * shrug * You make money, you pay taxes. NIL or no, that's just life. Is she implying that just because somebody is black and young that they are too stupid to file a tax form? Because I would be happy to meet with her in person to dispel that myth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

But worse in a sense. the NFL has salary caps to keep a semblance of parity. NIL bidding wars combined with the transfer portal will  drastically alter cfb, and not for the better.

Yeah, I'm really worried that this is going to mess with the incredible competitive balance the CFB enjoys, and a small group of elite schools will get all of the best recruits.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SwAss said:

Reggie Bush tweeting how he wants his Heisman back (though that award should have been given to Vince Young).   https://twitter.com/ReggieBush/status/1410661680334315521/photo/1

Fuck Reggie Bush.

And concerning other posts that bring up the tax angle and whether the kids will be able to navigate it, it's an entirely different world than most of us were exposed to with our first job.  Taxes get withheld by the store you work for.  You file, 1040EZ for the win, to get a refund.  That's easy as it gets, IRS wise.

I'm 54 and have navigated taxes for decades.  What exactly are the tax implications for an individual receiving lots of free stuff for a tweet or post?  I'm sure there is one, but I have no idea how to file that.  Some 18 year old kid likely doesn't as well.  The can of worms has been opened and UT, and other schools, had best be prepared to help the student athletes navigate this minefield or there may be some ineligible players next season for reasons we had not seen up to this point.