NCAA to Allow Players to be Compensated for their Names, Likenesses, and Images

Seasick Sailor

35 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This all feels like the dot com start up bubble. Lots of money will be thrown around in anticipation of glorious returns only to see a major market correction in a few years. Should be fun to watch. 

And just to reiterate from my end, I will not blame the kids, or say they should not have gotten money, when the evil and corrupt NCAA implodes.

Fuck the NCAA.

This whole thing is going to be a colossal shit show. But, if it brings about the end of the NCAA then I am all in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

And just to reiterate from my end, I will not blame the kids, or say they should not have gotten money, when the evil and corrupt NCAA implodes.

Fuck the NCAA.

This whole thing is going to be a colossal shit show. But, if it brings about the end of the NCAA then I am all in.

💯 

On 7/5/2021 at 9:30 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Why even make them enroll in school? That seems to be the next logical step in the evolution of “college” football.

I think the next step is going to be a track where there aren't gardes and any academic rigor and definitely not a degree conferment. just a "football/sports track" like an informal classes type thing. 

1 hour ago, JulesVerne said:

I think the next step is going to be a track where there aren't gardes and any academic rigor and definitely not a degree conferment. just a "football/sports track" like an informal classes type thing. 

How would this work?  Would only the NFL prospects go this route or the whole team?  Seems awful for the 90% that won’t play professional football. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That's literally the way it used to be before the NCAA passed the "must-be-making-progress-towards-a-degree" rule last decade.

This is a horribly written story.

No matter, it's not going to slow down the $$-Train.

https://bestlifeonline.com/hercy-miller-master-p-son-ncaa-news/

Master P, whose real name Percy Robert Miller, made a name for himself as a rapper and as a successful record producer and entrepreneur in the late 1990s, but some may not realize he was also an NBA basketball player. The founder of No Limits Records briefly played for both the Charlotte Hornets and the Toronto Raptors and he even owns a basketball league of his own called Global Mixed Gender Basketball. Now, his 19-year-old son Hercy Miller is following in his footsteps. In fact, he just made NCAA history. Read on to find out how.

After the NCAA announced on June 30 that it was allowing college athletes to make money off their fame, Hercy was one of the first to accept a brand endorsement deal. For the hefty paycheck of $2 million dollars, Hercy will become the brand ambassador for technology company Web Apps America. Per the deal, the company will be able to market Hercy's name, likeness, and image. According to his dad, the company sought him out because he was an A student headed to an HBCU (Historically Black Colleges And Universities.)

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This is a horribly written story.

No matter, it's not going to slow down the $$-Train.

https://bestlifeonline.com/hercy-miller-master-p-son-ncaa-news/

Master P, whose real name Percy Robert Miller, made a name for himself as a rapper and as a successful record producer and entrepreneur in the late 1990s, but some may not realize he was also an NBA basketball player. The founder of No Limits Records briefly played for both the Charlotte Hornets and the Toronto Raptors and he even owns a basketball league of his own called Global Mixed Gender Basketball. Now, his 19-year-old son Hercy Miller is following in his footsteps. In fact, he just made NCAA history. Read on to find out how.

After the NCAA announced on June 30 that it was allowing college athletes to make money off their fame, Hercy was one of the first to accept a brand endorsement deal. For the hefty paycheck of $2 million dollars, Hercy will become the brand ambassador for technology company Web Apps America. Per the deal, the company will be able to market Hercy's name, likeness, and image. According to his dad, the company sought him out because he was an A student headed to an HBCU (Historically Black Colleges And Universities.)

Yeah, this is going to get out of control in a hurry.

13 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Fuck the NCAA.

I get that the NCAA has some stupid rules, and uneven enforcement.

But the NCAA is nothing more than its member institutions.  

This won't bring the end of the NCAA, but the antitrust issues may.

Nevertheless, unless you want this whole thing to turn into a thunderdome free-for-all with zero semblance of amateurism, there's going to have to be an NCAA or something very much like it.

Don't like the playoffs?  Well, tough shit, because if this goes where it may be heading, there's gonna be maybe a dozen teams that are ever candidate for the playoffs.  Fucking forget about 16 teams.  

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I get that the NCAA has some stupid rules, and uneven enforcement.

But the NCAA is nothing more than its member institutions.  

This won't bring the end of the NCAA, but the antitrust issues may.

Nevertheless, unless you want this whole thing to turn into a thunderdome free-for-all with zero semblance of amateurism, there's going to have to be an NCAA or something very much like it.

Don't like the playoffs?  Well, tough shit, because if this goes where it may be heading, there's gonna be maybe a dozen teams that are ever candidate for the playoffs.  Fucking forget about 16 teams.  

I’m not opposed to oversight. I just think the NCAA is way worse than some stupid rules and uneven enforcement. It’s a bloated, ineffectual and inefficient organization.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

There has LONG since been zero semblance of amateurism. There's been big money flowing around college sports for years and years and years. I don't mind if there is a fresh new modern progressive organization that takes the helm that isn't toting around antebellum baggage along with it. But if there is going to be a Thunderdome situation that arises, I'm rooting for one that goes after the NCAA with the pig-shit powered chainsaw.

Edited by ouflak
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ouflak said:

There has LONG since been zero semblance of amateurism. There's been big money flowing around college sports for years and years and years. I don't mind if there is a fresh new modern progressive organization that takes the helm that isn't toting around antebellum baggage along with it. But if there is going to be a Thunderdome situation that arises, I'm rooting for one that goes after the NCAA with the pig-shit powered chainsaw.

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Don't like the playoffs?  Well, tough shit, because if this goes where it may be heading, there's gonna be maybe a dozen teams that are ever candidate for the playoffs.  

Well, there are five right now, so "maybe a dozen" would be a huge improvement.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, regardless of the actual number, the "universe" of highly competitive programs will shrink.

I guess it depends on how you define “highly competitive,” but if you’re talking about teams with a chance to win it all or make the playoffs, then I think it’s actually likely to increase the pool. The perennial top 5-6 teams are already known cheaters. NIL will provide large schools with wealthy fan bases who don’t currently cheat at the level of a Georgia or Bama to catch up some (if they utilize NIL effectively). There will start to be more of a gap between P5 and G5 and possibly even  within some P5 programs, but CFB is already a sport lacking in parity, and I don’t think it will change that much among P5 schools, barring super conferences being formed and that would create a gap regardless of NIL. 

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I guess it depends on how you define “highly competitive,” but if you’re talking about teams with a chance to win it all or make the playoffs, then I think it’s actually likely to increase the pool. The perennial top 5-6 teams are already known cheaters. NIL will provide large schools with wealthy fan bases who don’t currently cheat at the level of a Georgia or Bama to catch up some (if they utilize NIL effectively). There will start to be more of a gap between P5 and G5 and possibly even  within some P5 programs, but CFB is already a sport lacking in parity, and I don’t think it will change that much among P5 schools, barring super conferences being formed and that would create a gap regardless of NIL. 

Maybe so.  I feel like the "known cheaters" will just take it to 11 now that they have this to "cover" them.

Maybe having this "quasi legitimate" way to pay players will open up the UTs of the world to be more  . . . "generous."

Clearly, there is a bit more to it than simply buying recruits.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm glad to see the athletes get a chance to make some money. But by this time next year I have a feeling some of these athletes are going to get a big slap in the face. They are going to find out that the market is just not there for what their team thinks. And as we've seen in several instances it will be someone else's fault.

I got my popcorn ready.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I'm glad to see the athletes get a chance to make some money. But by this time next year I have a feeling some of these athletes are going to get a big slap in the face. They are going to find out that the market is just not there for what their team thinks. And as we've seen in several instances it will be someone else's fault.

I got my popcorn ready.

Yeah, to the extent the NIL system relies on the actual commercial appeal of player's NIL, I am sure there's going to be a lot of disappointment.

To the extent it's just cover for a slush fund for athletes, it may not disappoint.

I mean, that Overshown and Jamison are crowing about this is kind of laughable.  Half the Texas fanbase barely knows who they are.

On 7/4/2021 at 4:55 PM, UtBlaw said:

If you wanna be a bitch about it then you mean minor. She is still someone’s kid. And I didn’t say she was a minor.

Allow me to introduce you to Beau Vine

Arch Manning going to make $20mil a year as a college player 

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I got my popcorn ready.

Yep. It’s gonna be the hardest for athletes that are highly recruited and then don’t pan out and all of a sudden these companies don’t care at all.

I think there will be far less money in this game than people think. And there are fewer BMDs who will want to shell out than people think. It’s one thing when it’s contained and under the table. But these people are gonna get fed up, really quickly with basically keeping 19 year olds with massive egos on payroll. 

Also, I can see this getting really bizarre for women’s sports. Those deals will for many cases be totally untethered from performance on the field. 

The next “pole vault girl” sensation or tennis bunny will get deals of six or seven figures and the national champion in those sports will get zilch. 

Of course, this is how actual pro women sports endorsements work so— you wanted it, you got it. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think this is CFB's Curt Flood moment, with purists lamenting that they somehow wont enjoy watching the game anymore because of the improved financial situation of the players (weird)
But the game will go on

I’d say chances are good I’ll give up my season tickets of 25 years in the next few years. In part because of this but other factors as well.

Now I do get a reduction to an extent for my loyalty. What I haven’t gotten is a refund for a crappy product when I eat a ticket here or there. Parking has gone up. Obviously I’m no Phil knight. It ain’t costing $500 bucks either.

Playing college sports is hard work no doubt. I’m in favor of adhering to time restrictions. I don’t believe in paying players under the table. Full cost of tuition sure, but I’m guessing that is inflated somewhat. Straight up buying dudes like Master Ps kid is a bit much. My guess is that it will help keep the portal alive and we’ll.

So I’d say what’s weird is that no one gives a shit about a certain population of ticket paying fans. But you are right, the game will go on.

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

Also, I can see this getting really bizarre for women’s sports. Those deals will for many cases be totally untethered from performance on the field. 

The next “pole vault girl” sensation or tennis bunny will get deals of six or seven figures and the national champion in those sports will get zilch. 

Sure, but all it means is they'll finally be able to do what any NON-NCAA athlete has been able to do for years.  Hot girls have been making plenty of money and getting tons of free products on insta, youtube, tik tok, and twitch, for years now.  But NCAA athletes weren't allowed the same.   Now, they'll be able to do it.  In some cases their status as an NCAA athlete might be coincidental.  So what?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Of course, this is how actual pro women sports endorsements work so— you wanted it, you got it. 

You mean free market capitalism and the ability of fully emancipated adults to legally earn money as they see fit? Because we've had that in this country for a long long time. If the NCAA and the schools were truly in the right in limiting the economic opportunities for student athletes, they wouldn't have needed to hide behind federal anti-trust exemptions and state exemptions from labor laws.

Edited by ouflak
  • Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Hey, if guys get to claim "but market forces and eyeballs/ratings!" as a backstop defense for why they get paid 100x more, then women should get to take advantage of their unique abilities in social media to do the same. Fair is fair.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yep. It’s gonna be the hardest for athletes that are highly recruited and then don’t pan out and all of a sudden these companies don’t care at all.

I think there will be far less money in this game than people think. And there are fewer BMDs who will want to shell out than people think. It’s one thing when it’s contained and under the table. But these people are gonna get fed up, really quickly with basically keeping 19 year olds with massive egos on payroll. 

Naw, when you have an institution that supports an entire states since of self by playing football BDM's will do what they have always done..  I would suggest talent will be more affordable in an open market verses the backdoor that is historical.  It will create a much harsher reality on the the front and the team possibly divide as a result.  

On 7/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, JulesVerne said:

On 7/6/2021 at 12:30 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

How would this work?  Would only the NFL prospects go this route or the whole team?  Seems awful for the 90% that won’t play professional football. 

I've thought for quite a while that money making collegiate sports (football, mens hoops, Southern baseball, Northern hockey) could all adopt a model whereby they would have a license agreement with a college and get to use the name, mascot, colors, etc in exchange for a fee. Part of the agreement would be the team paying to use facilities, dorms, chow halls, etc., and an arrangement to enroll any of the player who wish (and can meet enrollment standards) into a college degree program.
It would be a change, but not that big of a change - the best schools have the most money and could sign the best players; smaller schools can keep DII and DIII (and NAIA) teams. There are a lot of wrinkles to be ironed out, but it could also get these colleges out of the Title IX equal access restrictions. Hell hockey and baseball (and to a much lesser extent basketball) all compete with professional leagues for signing talent straight out of high school.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Sure, but all it means is they'll finally be able to do what any NON-NCAA athlete has been able to do for years.  Hot girls have been making plenty of money and getting tons of free products on insta, youtube, tik tok, and twitch, for years now.  But NCAA athletes weren't allowed the same.   Now, they'll be able to do it.  In some cases their status as an NCAA athlete might be coincidental.  So what?

I have no issues with it, but I am setting my watch to the moment that we start getting long think pieces about how the system is racist and sexist. 

• Like 1

Hey, if guys get to claim "but market forces and eyeballs/ratings!" as a backstop defense for why they get paid 100x more, then women should get to take advantage of their unique abilities in social media to do the same. Fair is fair.

I am not at all objecting to this, just pointing out that this was sold in large part as rectifying a system that sees young Black athletes not being compensated appropriately. And that’s gonna be true for football and basketball. 

And in women’s sports at least, we are going to see a recreation of what happens on say, the WTA tour where Maria Sharapova far out earned Serena Williams even at her absolute peak. 

• Like 1

Idk take Women's Softball for example. Probably the biggest girls sport in terms of $ and interest. There will be plenty of opportunities for the OU girls for example based on merit rather than attractiveness. Lots of #girldads out there willing to drop 5-10k annually through their daughter's teen years to help them get some type of scholly. And trainers will be there to take their money and those trainers will pay $ to top players to be associated with them.

Montana Fouts will have the most demand sure. But the big Alabama catcher will get her money too because those dad's arent paying for their daughters to look like Montana Fouts, they're paying so she'll play like Bailey Hemphill

She’s already out of college but she’s easily one of the highest endorsed track athletes. She is top 10 in the world so she can back it up. However, she’s fully aware sex sells and she’s making that dollar while she can. Even just started an OnlyFans account.

fbc37765d77a870a84f7809a26bf8fcd.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 7/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, JulesVerne said:

I really have my doubts about where this all ends and think eventually it will finish with a lot fewer college athletics programs. This whole thing turns on its head the more professional it gets. Imagine trying to get someone to give a donation to the Dallas Cowboys Foundation. It’s one thing to tell yourself you’re just helping a disadvantaged family AND helping old State U win the conference. Phil Knight literally has nothing better to do with his money but most of the types of people inclined to pay for college football players are rich at the millions of dollars level— not hundreds— and they will start asking if this really is how they want to spend their money. 

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, to the extent the NIL system relies on the actual commercial appeal of player's NIL, I am sure there's going to be a lot of disappointment.

To the extent it's just cover for a slush fund for athletes, it may not disappoint.

I mean, that Overshown and Jamison are crowing about this is kind of laughable.  Half the Texas fanbase barely knows who they are.

it's almost a chicken/egg question though.  Overshown has been a leader on the team.  Would more people know who he is if he was endorsing some local eatery/ hangout/ or UT apparel retailer the past few seasons? 

This could go for any program, but I wonder which businesses will become 'injury jinxes' like HEB was in Houston and Madden cover is for the NFL.

Edited by slorch

I think this is CFB's Curt Flood moment, with purists lamenting that they somehow wont enjoy watching the game anymore because of the improved financial situation of the players (weird)
But the game will go on

When they start making purely business decisions, people that are paying for the tickets will obviously get to the point where they don’t like the product.

It’s part of the reason people don’t give a damn about some of the bowls.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

it's almost a chicken/egg question though.  Overshown has been a leader on the team.  Would more people know who he is if he was endorsing some local eatery/ hangout/ or UT apparel retailer the past few seasons? 

This could go for any program, but I wonder which businesses will become 'injury jinxes' like HEB was in Houston and Madden cover is for the NFL.

Doesn’t the company pay money to a man to bring eyeballs to their brand and not to bring eye balls to a man they are paying using the power of their brand?

Maybe the Butts family are just big fans?

Edited by ChickenSandwich