NCAA to Allow Players to be Compensated for their Names, Likenesses, and Images

Seasick Sailor

16 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Kid just made 10% of coach’s salary without playing a down or winning multiple NCs 

How does Saban bench the kid?  

“Coach, you are messing with my money”

What about position coaches that don't make as much as the star player they are coaching now? Yeah it's common in the NFL but these college coaches aren't used to dealing with it...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
17 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:
Kid just made 10% of coach’s salary without playing a down or winning multiple NCs 
How does Saban bench the kid?  

“Coach, you are messing with my money”

I really feel terrible for Nick Saban that his job just got a little bit harder.

Did it?  Alabama name = guaranteed cash. 

That headline might be the only recruiting in person he needs to do. 

Money isn’t coming out of his pocket. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/6/2021 at 8:57 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

This all feels like the dot com start up bubble. Lots of money will be thrown around in anticipation of glorious returns only to see a major market correction in a few years. Should be fun to watch. 

I get the feeling no one really has thought this through .... color me shocked.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:43 AM, Tex-19 said:

What's up with this high school bbal player getting an NIL deal? Mikey Williams. I thought high schoolers still couldn't do that, no?

Not sure what deal you’re talking about, but no HSs can’t sign NIL deals under any of the statutes I’ve seen. They all require players to be student athletes at the college before the law applies to them. 

Although if you use the logic for college NIL deals, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to limit HS either. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not sure what deal you’re talking about, but no HSs can’t sign NIL deals under any of the statutes I’ve seen. They all require players to be student athletes at the college before the law applies to them. 

Although if you use the logic for college NIL deals, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to limit HS either. 

https://www.espn.com/high-school/story/_/id/31861613/mikey-williams-signs-excel-sports-nil-deal-expected-generate-millions-high-school-basketball-star

43 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah, that would violate NIL rules. No idea if the NCAA would actually enforce it. Also the one and one rule is going away before he’s eligible, so I doubt he’s planning on playing in college anyways. 

Plus, if he can make real NIL money for the next 3 years, the trade off of skipping a year in college would be we worth it anyways. 

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Under the Texas statute, and I think most of them, what that would do is permit the university to deny eligibility.  That's it.

It would also permit the NCAA to deny eligibility (assuming they’re still in charge by then), and if he’s publicly signed endorsement deals, that would be easy enough for the NCAA to prove, so they’d probably enforce it. 

COLLEGE NIL MARKET’S TOP END IS LIKELY $600K DESPITE SABAN CLAIM

University of Alabama head football coach Nick Saban recently divulged that his quarterback Bryce Young—who has yet to start a college game—had already signed “almost seven figures” worth of deals tied to his name, image and likeness. If true, it is a staggeringly high data point in an NIL marketplace that has largely underwhelmed thus far. “The marketplace right now is heavily made up of local, regional, smaller brand deals,” said Darren Heitner (founder, Heitner Legal). “We haven’t seen many large brands dip their toes in the water just yet.”

But some see Saban’s comment as a mixture of hearsay and salesmanship, rather than a matter of fact (CAA and Young’s agent declined to comment). Conversations with college administrators, marketing agents, marketing executives and Heitner, the sports lawyer, indicated players at the top end of the NIL spectrum have earned  around $500,000. “I haven’t heard of [anyone with deals] worth $1 million. I’ve heard of a lot of top players with numbers in the $400,000-$600,000 range,” said David Woodley (chief revenue officer, Playmaker).

Our Take: To be clear, no one thought Saban made up the number. But none of those we spoke to believed Young has made anything close to $1 million dollars in a marketing advance (from an agency) or in marketer compensation to date, either (Cash App is believed to be his only national sponsor). One high-profile athletic director said, “While I do not doubt that Bryce or his agent may well have made this representation to Nick, the chances that Nick has real knowledge about the deal [or deals] is zero.”

Saban also made the comment at the 89th annual Texas High School Coaches Association convention and coaching school. So, “it is safe to assume he was in sales mode,” the AD said. Saban’s suggestion that the deals are a product of the “Alabama brand” lends credence to that theory.

While the seven-time national champion coach was almost certainly looking to reinforce the power of Alabama’s brand and the “almost seven figure” estimate could well be inflated, Young is expected to be among the early winners of the NIL era. “I have no doubt that Bryce will be at the top of the market. And if he is sufficiently active on social media, his value may well [eventually] meet or exceed Nick’s projection. But I doubt we will know that for a while,” the AD said.

The reason we likely will not know for some time is because if Young does have around $1 million dollars in deals under contract, it is almost certain that a portion of the money is performance-based. “There is a lot of initial anecdotal evidence of athletes signing deals with high speculative value,” (e.g., royalty-based deals) the AD said.

We have seen deals with rosy but unrealistic projections done over the first few weeks of the NIL era because just about everyone is incentivized to pump the biggest numbers possible. “The other thing is, the real players [with big bucks] aren’t in the game right now,” the AD explained. “You largely have small potato companies, who don’t have the marketing budgets [doing deals]. So, they are doing royalty- or commission-based.”

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2021/nil-market-compensation-1234635276/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_campaign=Sportico_JohnWallStreet&utm_content=289141_07-26-2021_college-nil-market's-top-end-is-lik&utm_term=8165163

Listened to the latest EGAT podcast yesterday, and Paul and Kevin both say something that @closetojumping has alluded to before - that there is a compliance logjam right now in the UT administration that may put us behind the 8 ball if we don’t get it sorted out. It’s not coming from the top, Eltife and Hartzell are all in, but it’s in the mid-level entrenched bureaucracy at Belmont that is living in the past mindset and takes a very risk-averse approach to approving anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Listened to the latest EGAT podcast yesterday, and Paul and Kevin both say something that @closetojumping has alluded to before - that there is a compliance logjam right now in the UT administration that may put us behind the 8 ball if we don’t get it sorted out. It’s not coming from the top, Eltife and Hartzell are all in, but it’s in the mid-level entrenched bureaucracy at Belmont that is living in the past mindset and takes a very risk-averse approach to approving anything. 

It has the same initials as Center for Disease Control and Prevention

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

They didn’t go there, but I know CTJ has made that point. 

Actually, no, Paul and Kevin said it was not CDC, rather the bloat, the midlevel bureaucrats in the AD that were the problem.  They were pretty adamant about it.

After listening to that podcast, I feel like I have quit worrying and learned to love the bomb/NIL.  It is legalized, above-board cheating.  And, because it's now legal, we need to cheat like motherfuckers.

One issue could be that a lot of our BMD made their money in real estate and oil, neither of which requires endorsements from athletes, or can make much use of them.

Also, to the extent this takes off, it is probably going to ruin a fair number of pretty decent players who take their eyes off the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

One issue could be that a lot of our BMD made their money in real estate and oil, neither of which requires endorsements from athletes, or can make much use of them.

That doesn't matter, just work out a deal where they just do 1 tweet for like 10-20k from those sources just to pay them. Not doing that is retarded.

16 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It would also permit the NCAA to deny eligibility (assuming they’re still in charge by then), and if he’s publicly signed endorsement deals, that would be easy enough for the NCAA to prove, so they’d probably enforce it. 

Is this under what NCAA has put out?  Seems like most of the state statutes deal solely with the student athlete and the institution.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That doesn't matter, just work out a deal where they just do 1 tweet for like 10-20k from those sources just to pay them. Not doing that is retarded.

What I mean is, those BMDs aren't naturally inclined to marketing and whatnot.  Their businesses, unlike some, probably don't have a social media department, or much of a marketing wing at all.  It's going to take them some time to ramp up to it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It has the same initials as Center for Disease Control and Prevention

That’s not who they were talking about, but it’s obviously on him if he doesn’t make it change. 

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is this under what NCAA has put out?  Seems like most of the state statutes deal solely with the student athlete and the institution.

Current NCAA rules wouldn’t allow it, so unless he leaves in a state where the NCAA denying eligibility for that action is prohibited by the statute, then the NCAA could still enforce. Who knows if they will though; they seem to really be backing off of anything NIL-related. 

• Hook 'Em 1

"Compliance" equals Plonsky. And she reports to Del Conte. We can argue around and around about the what's and the why's, but the "who" is Plonsky. The day that evil shithead is shown the door will be a glorious day for all of us. Regardless, she's about to moved aside on this one, becuase the opportunity is far bigger than her small-minded fat ass can fathom.

As to the big money and NIL, and Texas generally, my best way to frame this is to remember that all of this isn't a month old. Yes, Texas was caught flatfooted, and so was everyone else besides Oregon. This is a game for the ages, not months or weeks, and if folks can just be patient for a little longer, mobilization is in the works, and it has a chance to be Cadillac level shit compared to stupid nonsense like just throwing shit at the wall that we're seeing from everyone else.

Ketchum, of course, isn't helping anything by just straight-up paying guys for interviews. He must have gotten his bullshit approved by sending Plonsky two dozen Pluckers wings every day for a two week period or something. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

"I don't always need fracking chemicals, but when I do, my go to is always BASF." - @Bijan5Robinson

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

When an outcome with paradigm shifting consequences is undetermined, we’re of the opinion people should operate off at least two different tracks until you have clarity of direction.

Here is Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte discussing month-old NIL legislation:

Regarding NIL, Del Conte said he believes there will be federal intervention soon in the form of a narrow antitrust law. “You can have something in Oregon that’s different in Florida, that’s different in Maine, that’s different in Texas. That’s just not how we’re operating. Am I anticipating that [intervention]? Yes.”

Waiting for federal intervention — inaction — is one track, I suppose. What’s the other?

NIL is of course name, image, and likeness which affords college athletes the ability to monetize the same. Essentially they can make money off things that belong to them every bit as much as their own thoughts, provided they don’t use trademarked material.

We don’t know what Chris Del Conte’s personal beliefs are on the matter, but it’s quite concerning he seems content to let UT fall behind on taking advantage of legislation that should benefit Texas more than any other school.

If Texas doesn’t capitalize on NIL, the move to the SEC will be more shortsighted than..:..Texas not capitalizing on NIL.

While NIL is currently in its infant stages, that doesn’t matter in the proactive world of recruiting. If you’re reacting in recruiting, you’re falling behind.

This is a useful article to see where things sit on the macro level after one month, but it doesn‘t mention the velocity with which we’re about to see things pick up nationally:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1421874100604125187

It also doesn’t mention the micro concerns of Texas. While it is concerning tenured UT bureaucrat Chris Plonsky heads up the NIL committee, we’re not hearing of any large deals getting hung up in compliance. She makes for an easy scapegoat, and whoever put her in that position is one odd duck, but so far she seems to be more of a scapegoat. Our info on that could change with one phone call.

The much bigger concern is lack of coordination between the AD and boosters of all sizes who stand at the ready to help.

Here’s an example: “Talked to a few guys last week about getting a group together to sponsor some appearances and maybe give kids like 5k or something for taking some pictures or something. Everyone is asking what red tape we would have to go through and how easy it would be.“

Here’s another. This guy isn’t a cigar yet, but he’s at least an unfiltered cigarette: ”The fact that I have a group text with 100 of my fraternity brothers looking to organize a NIL cash funnel for an appearance at a “dinner” and no one can seem to figure out where the hell to get the process started isn’t a good look… everyone just pretty much says ‘ah **** it.’”

I get texts like this all the time and have heard anecdotes of people willing to spend big money with no idea where to go with it. These are all people who Del Conte or one of his donor reps have on speed dial.

If Texas tackled this issue with the fervor it attacks trademark infringement, or the aggression it dials for dollars, NIL would be the huge coup for the school it should be.

Del Conte will eventually be saved by a private, organized group. Maybe that’s the other track.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The much bigger concern is lack of coordination between the AD and boosters of all sizes who stand at the ready to help.

Here’s an example: “Talked to a few guys last week about getting a group together to sponsor some appearances and maybe give kids like 5k or something for taking some pictures or something. Everyone is asking what red tape we would have to go through and how easy it would be.“

Here’s another. This guy isn’t a cigar yet, but he’s at least an unfiltered cigarette: ”The fact that I have a group text with 100 of my fraternity brothers looking to organize a NIL cash funnel for an appearance at a “dinner” and no one can seem to figure out where the hell to get the process started isn’t a good look… everyone just pretty much says ‘ah **** it.’”

I get texts like this all the time and have heard anecdotes of people willing to spend big money with no idea where to go with it. These are all people who Del Conte or one of his donor reps have on speed dial.

This. I've wondered where you even start with engaging a player. A lot of marketing alums (and bosses of marketing departments) out there could add a ton of value but what do they do? Send Jamison a DM? 

Just for kicks I checked out OpenDorse the other day to see how that worked. For a lot of pro athletes, you can just submit a deal request right there. I only saw like 4-5 UT football players and none of them had that feature.

I almost feel like someone tech savvy could just create a simple website with each player's basic info, social account stats/links, and a contact form where people can submit deal proposals that get sent to the player. Idk what the compliance workflow is like but maybe it can even help with that too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If the players use the school’s NIL(brand etc) why wouldn’t the school get a cut?  They are also taking the chance someone tarnishes their brand through their actions. 

Schools don’t have NIL, they have IP and the players are not allowed to earn any compensation while using the school’s intellectual or physical property per the Texas statute. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

I don’t get it how do our rules differ from other states and schools?   I read Alabama’s and it seems the same to me.  https://tide1009.com/understanding-the-nil-rules-for-the-crimson-tide/

The Texas bill doesn't even allow schools to approve players' use of the school's own IP.  It's ridiculous. Also, the Texas bill has a lot more small exceptions that make things tougher, like not allowing players to have sponsorships from alcohol, tobacco, or gambling companies. That's a lot of potential revenue right there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

The Texas bill doesn't even allow schools to approve players' use of the school's own IP.  It's ridiculous. Also, the Texas bill has a lot more small exceptions that make things tougher, like not allowing players to have sponsorships from alcohol, tobacco, or gambling companies. That's a lot of potential revenue right there. 

The Alabama one says the exact same things…..    It’s seems a lot of people have heard how restrictive Texas’s is vs others without knowing what’s different, not just you.    

Edited by Hook1997