80's Movies

NoRagrets

3 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Huh? The sequel was teased but never made because I’m still waiting on it!

Big Trouble in Little China was the sequel. Or what the sequel turned out to be. Basically, the sequel fell through, and the writer was brought on as a script doctor for the original script to BTiLC, which was a fantasy/western originally. There were rulings afterwards, but the tl;dr is that he basically made it the sequel that Buckaroo Banzai didn't get.

On 11/28/2018 at 5:14 PM, SuperSport said:

Weird Science

Real Genius

No idea why but I always get these two mixed up. 

The Last Starfighter

Enemy Mine

Valley Girl

American Gigolo

Night of the Comet

The Tutor

Flash Gordon

Body Double

Body Heat( peak Kathleen Turner)

Edited by Underdog

There are better 80s movies, and certainly better Tom Hanks movies, but this was one of his more underrated films.

220px-Nothing_in_common_movie_poster.jpg

A father-son story that will tug at your heartstrings, and the seeds of Hanks’ more serious dramatic roles.  And the movie screams the 80s, down to the hairstyles, clothes, and soundtrack.

• Like 1

On April 7, 2018 at 2:59 AM, Papa Johnny Road said:

Three O'Clock High

This is a severely underrated movie, a classic of the high school genre. It's biggest failing was the casting, imo. Jeffrey Tambor was the best actor in the cast and he was still a relative unknown and only played a supporting role. It was a great story. If it had the cast of, say, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, it probably would've been a huge hit. 

Classic 80's fare, complete with music by Tangerine Dream. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

You seem like a Michael Keeton fan.  And rightfully so.  Clean and Sober also wasn't bad.

It actually started as a Kevin Costner list. He had a good streak in the 80's, including a very minor part in Night Shift.

Since I included Night Shift, it just made sense to mention Keaton's 80's movies.

Edited by BornOrange

3 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

It actually started as a Kevin Costner list.

I noticed the Costner flavor as well.  The thing about Costner, he's made a lot of pure crap, movies I just can't stand.  But he's also made some of my favorite films, such as Bull Durham (my favorite sports movie of all time), Field of Dreams, Fandango, Dances with Wolves (yeah it's good, come after me bro), A Perfect World.  And No Way Out is an incredibly underrated political thriller.  I'll watch that any time it's on.

14 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This is a severely underrated movie, a classic of the high school genre. It's biggest failing was the casting, imo. Jeffrey Tambor was the best actor in the cast and he was still a relative unknown and only played a supporting role. It was a great story. If it had the cast of, say, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, it probably would've been a huge hit. 

Classic 80's fare, complete with music by Tangerine Dream. 

That really is a fucking great movie. 

"Don't fuck this up, Mitchell!!!!"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I noticed the Costner flavor as well.  The thing about Costner, he's made a lot of pure crap, movies I just can't stand.  But he's also made some of my favorite films, such as Bull Durham (my favorite sports movie of all time), Field of Dreams, Fandango, Dances with Wolves (yeah it's good, come after me bro), A Perfect World.  And No Way Out is an incredibly underrated political thriller.  I'll watch that any time it's on.

You forgot to mention Silverado. He was great in that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I'll have to admit that I never saw that movie, or I only watched pieces of it as a kid.  I need to check it out.  I'm usually a sucker for Lawrence Kasdan films.

Oh man, it's a great flick. You've got to check it out. That was my introduction to Costner. He doesn't play a huge role, although his story is central to the plot, but his character is pretty cool. Young, brash, goofy, really good with a gun (or two).

Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Danny Glover, Brian Dennehy, Jeff Goldblum, Linda Hunt. John Cleese has a great part that's pretty awesome. It's a good story and very well made.

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

APW is an outstanding movie, Waterworld is a guilty pleasure of mine, not sure when it was made. 

Both are 90s movies, but was including that era in my post about Costner's overall career.

And here's what else I'll say about him -- he seems like a pretty cool guy, and far from an entitled Hollywood douche bag.