Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

On 10/16/2023 at 3:53 PM, Art Vandelay said:

I don’t really get the Tecovas hate, but I suspect it mostly has to do with their marketing, which I admit can be annoying in the way they seem to target hipsters. But there’s nothing wrong with the boots themselves. I've been wearing boots for 30+ years. I own, or have owned, Lucchese, Anderson Bean, Tony Lama, Justin, Dan Post, and others, and my Tecovas are easily the most comfortable. I get compliments on them all the time. I realize what I'm paying for and that they're not made as well as say, Black Jack or Lucchese Classics, but for the price, they're a good value.

I’ve been interested in a couple of their styles. I tried on one pair at the tecovas on south congress and the other at northpark in dallas. Each pair had a dye defect.

I took an uber in austin last month. The driver and I talked about boots. He said he used to work for tecovas and said they have QC issues.

I want to like tecovas but their quality is suspect. If the finish is poor, I suspect what’s under the hood is defective as well.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I’m now obsessed.  I’ve got a mountain of beat up, broke in, worn out and fancy cowboy and work boots that my dogs have filled over the years. These Del Ranchos look to be fun, comfy and cool. 

Bring on the hate. 

IMG_9278.jpeg

IMG_9279.jpeg

IMG_9281.jpeg

IMG_9280.jpeg

IMG_9283.jpeg

IMG_9284.jpeg

had no clue you were a mexican scaffold builder 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

I am all about people wearing what they like, but I think broad square toes look like ass. Quack, quack (if that’s your thing)

Differing opinions is why we have horse races.   I like round toe, as well.  

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

had no clue you were a mexican scaffold builder 

Yep.  I’ve had a career change.  

• Haha 1

Like many of you, I have owned a dozen of boots at least since my late teens, 53 now.  Red Wings for my college days and early 20's decade. Served me well for many years.  Kept mink oil on them repeatedly and I still have one pair since 1992 that I mow the yard in, occasionally, though my feet feel it after.  Wore Justin Ropers as my "nice" boot for many years.  Bought 2 pairs of Luccheses , a soft skin (cant recall which), caramel/distressed brown color Roper that I still wear and get compliments on periodically.  My second pair of Luccheses currently in rotation is a western style boot , round toe, well worn in and look like they just come off the Dutton ranch.  Love those boots, though they are looking a bit too worn; i call them my drinking boots.  I will say the strap broke a couple months ago, so getting them on, I have to wear a business sock, versus tube so they slide in

The most recent purchase is a pair of Tecovas from their shop in Frisco at Legacy, western style, suede.  Been getting a lot compliments on them;  they pair well with a dark khaki jean.  You have to be careful with Tecovas boots as the jean/pants cannot be too skinny, as the shaft is larger (no ghey) than any other boots ive owned.

Ill try and get some pictures uploaded.  Love all my boots, its about all i wear outside of work.

My 25 year old Justin ostrich boots need another resole.  I think I've had them resoled twice by Austin Shoe Hospital.

I'm worried about using them again for such an ancient pair of boots.  

Can someone recommend a higher end repair shop near Round Rock?

My mom gave me these boots when I was 20, so I really want to keep them alive.

IMG_0956.jpeg

IMG_0957.jpeg

Edited by Elvis
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2023 at 9:02 PM, deadshank said:

I’m now obsessed.  I’ve got a mountain of beat up, broke in, worn out and fancy cowboy and work boots that my dogs have filled over the years. These Del Ranchos look to be fun, comfy and cool. 

Bring on the hate. 

IMG_9278.jpeg

IMG_9279.jpeg

IMG_9281.jpeg

IMG_9280.jpeg

IMG_9283.jpeg

IMG_9284.jpeg

Got a friend down in Monterrey now looking for these 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bring on the hate. 

IMG_9278.thumb.jpeg.a9019e875741f9620a1ca4ee7499fd92.jpeg
IMG_9279.thumb.jpeg.d9da689272699b2fb8ff67e9eba4ff03.jpeg
IMG_9281.thumb.jpeg.a9117368106add09690594b317866343.jpeg
IMG_9280.thumb.jpeg.f3ccd4d43f7b591f1e843cad4141fda3.jpeg
IMG_9283.thumb.jpeg.0f49a4fc7b506faaae85c827b0d3b3ef.jpeg
IMG_9284.thumb.jpeg.a677f69680515a795d7b9198b1bfef2b.jpeg

Those are bad ass. Buddy brought some home from arandas, jal. I need to get a pair.
  • Hook 'Em 4

So my brother has the unfortunate situation of spilling bacon grease, a "fuckton" per him, on his boots. Lives near San Antonio so any ideas of someone he can take them to or him remedies to help? Seen people rec cornstarch or talc powder overnight to see what can be done.

They are full quills, kind of a burnt tan/brown color, and his favorite boots, which makes it worse.

Open to any ideas.

• Like 1

So my brother has the unfortunate situation of spilling bacon grease, a "fuckton" per him, on his boots. Lives near San Antonio so any ideas of someone he can take them to or him remedies to help? Seen people rec cornstarch or talc powder overnight to see what can be done.

They are full quills, kind of a burnt tan/brown color, and his favorite boots, which makes it worse.
Open to any ideas.

Elmer’s rubber cement. Lightly coat the affected area and work it around. It will ball up pretty quickly. Work the ball around for a good few minutes. Repeat 2-3 times if necessary. If that doesn’t work I would then try the Lexol leather cleaner in the orange container. Do not use the brown one that is conditioner and will seal in whatever oils are in the skin.

If neither of those work, then get some mink oil and coat both pairs evenly and enjoy the new darker shade of birds because nothing else will work.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Elmer’s rubber cement. Lightly coat the affected area and work it around. It will ball up pretty quickly. Work the ball around for a good few minutes. Repeat 2-3 times if necessary. If that doesn’t work I would then try the Lexol leather cleaner in the orange container. Do not use the brown one that is conditioner and will seal in whatever oils are in the skin.

If neither of those work, then get some mink oil and coat both pairs evenly and enjoy the new darker shade of birds because nothing else will work.

Very good insight here, thank you! Do or don't let it dry?

From askandy years ago on smooth shoes:

>Get a can of Rubber Cement. Brush the cement onto the stain. Let dry completely. Rub off the cement with your hand. Repeat this process until most if not all the stain is gone. Then polish like normal. This is the best method of success we have used for years.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wait a week. I took my ostrich to Austin Shoe Hospital. should have back next week, will tell you how they did.

I feel like I remember several folks back in the shaggy days having great things to say about this place. I hope you find it to be the same, because I used to recommend a place here in the DFW was absolutely incredible. Then the owner retired and sold out to his understudy who turned out to be an absolute turd of the highest order.

I got a pair of rujos for christmas. This my second pair of them. I get lots of compliments on my peanut colored pair so I got the same style in chestnut. They’re goat and come with a distressed finish.

IMG_2507.thumb.jpeg.f52cf0147266d6d2e4e134833e2cf889.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 7:27 PM, GenXer said:

I got a pair of rujos for christmas. This my second pair of them. I get lots of compliments on my peanut colored pair so I got the same style in chestnut. They’re goat and come with a distressed finish.

IMG_2507.thumb.jpeg.f52cf0147266d6d2e4e134833e2cf889.jpeg

Reminds me of these from the 70's

image.thumb.png.5ed8ae0cf99c4249e81be0390d901448.png

The caramel Tecovas Jason with the Rubber sole are my favorite boot right now. I get compliments on them all the time too. I will say: I had the same pair about a year ago and noticed part of the sole was coming loose after about 4 months of wear. I emailed Tecovas and they asked almost no questions. Sent me a box and replaced them for free. 

On 3/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

I shared it before under my old handle in this thread or the boot thread on the TOS for sure, but go see David at The Colony Cobbler.

Multiple people in this thread heeded my advice and were extremely satisfied. David is one of the most talented I’ve ever been around and an all around good dude. He has saved boots that I would have bet my life were destined for the garbage. He is truly a master of his craft. It’s 143 miles round trip from my house to his shop and I’ve never considered trying to find someone closer. Never.

The googles show that Angel is the owner of The Colony Cobbler unless I’m looking at the wrong place.

Has it changed ownership? Is David still there?

I’m not much of a boot wearer, even though I grew up in Wharton County around a lot of farm and ranch folks.  I have one pair of pointed toe boots that I bought at the old South Congress Cowtown Boots store about 35 years ago.  I finally decided I would like another pair, so I bought this pair of python skin boots a couple of weeks ago across the border in Nuevo Progreso…cost was $134 and quality looks really good to my untrained eyes…name-brand python skin boots run about $300+ in the states, so since I’m generally a cheapskate, I’m happy with the purchase.

IMG_5230.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Got 2 items today.  An old management buck back from taxi and a pair of caiman Hyer boots. 

Gonna quit while I’m ahead. 

IMG_9555.jpeg

IMG_9554.jpeg

IMG_9556.jpeg

Thems Kansas boots. Get a rope! 

Interesting how TX and KS are prime boot states and other cattle country much less so. 

6 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Blackjack are a great pair of boots. My sueded hippo’s from them have that same upper inlay, just 17” and baby blue

I would like to see these baby blue hippo boots please.  That's an exotic I never imagined.

I would like to see these baby blue hippo boots please.  That's an exotic I never imagined.

The upper is baby blue. Vamp is chocolate. My former boss was an SHSU alum and he had a pair with a blue vamp and orange upper with the Kats logo. I believe it was camel skin. Those were wild.

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Texans drove cattle to the railhead in Kansas, a here they got paid and had new boots made. So a thriving business arose there making boots. 

Oh yeah, I get it.  Just kind of interesting that other cattle-raising states don't seem to have much of a bootmaking tradition.  Or one that survived for very long.

Also kind of interesting, you dig around on the Hyer site and there's some indication that in the past they were known as Olathe.  The current Olathe I believe is part of the RIos/Anderson Bean family.