Formula One 2020

wood

Unreal.  So thankful Grosjean is alive, and while it's obviously too early to know what happened one can hope F1 can determine what, if anything, can be done to continue improving the safety of the cars and the barriers in various parts of each track.

Absolutely amazing he was able to walk away from that.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

For all the shit Stroll gets, how come nobody ever talks about Latifi? Isn’t he also there because of family money?  Dude has never won a racing series in his life, and Russell soundly beat him up and down the track every single race

The difference is Stroll is in a fast car and Latifi is not. Pay drivers buying their way into a back marker doesn't annoy people as much as buying their way to a competitive car.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

For all the shit Stroll gets, how come nobody ever talks about Latifi? Isn’t he also there because of family money?  Dude has never won a racing series in his life, and Russell soundly beat him up and down the track every single race

49 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

The difference is Stroll is in a fast car and Latifi is not. Pay drivers buying their way into a back marker doesn't annoy people as much as buying their way to a competitive car.

Yep.  Plus Latifi doesn't constantly do stupid shit that put peoples lives at stake. 

Max doesn't hold back on his opinion of Albon's performance.

“You can fill that out for yourself, but I don't think that if you drive 30 or 40 seconds behind your teammate, that's very good. I can just be honest about that, right? It was a shame for Checo [Perez] too, because I think he drove a very strong race. It's nice for Alex that he is on the podium," said a clear Verstappen to Ziggo Sport.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/73707/no-jubilation-for-verstappen-over-albon-s-p3-i-m-allowed-to-be-honest-right.html

We watched the race and were amazed at the crash, as was everyone. Did anyone ask why he seemed to be cutting right across the track the way he did? Sort of like he was missing an offramp and trying to get over from a few lanes.

That fire was insane.

The safety level of the sport is just amazing as well, as were the track personnel. One of my good friends was one of the top 410 Sprint Car drivers in the east and he raced in a Wingless Sprint race up at Jennerstown Speedway, back when it was still dirt, and he had a horrible crash, and it involved fire.

He said it was the only time he was truly scared in the car. It was funny afterward because even though he was a grown man when asked if he would ever take part in any more of the Wingless races he would answer, "my mom won't let me".

I like Albon and I hope he can get himself right. But I think it is too late for him at Red Bull. I do hope that Red Bull does get its engine program to a high level. The sport needs it badly, especially if Ferrari continues to suck. I sure don't understand what Stroll was doing. 

38 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

The few drivers who are saying the coverage of this during the race was bad are way off. 

what were they supposed to do? 

Yeah, IIRC, Brundle specifically said on-air immediately after the crash that they weren't showing footage of the incident until they were sure it wasn't graphic.  Wasn't sensationalized coverage, just reported on the event.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Did anyone ask why he seemed to be cutting right across the track the way he did? Sort of like he was missing an offramp and trying to get over from a few lanes.

There was a group of cars in traffic on the left side. There was open track on the right. Looks to me like RG didn’t realize Kvyat was so close behind him to the right. Their wheels hit and sent RG careening right. Separately, replays showed a piece of car debris flying right under RG’s right front tire just before his move to the right. It’s unclear if the debris affected RG or the car.

Bernard

In his defense, he’s not used to someone behind him. Too early to get lapped. 

too soon?

and they waited what seemed like forever after the crash before showing the images. Immediately after they cut to cars heading to the pit lane. It might have been 10 mins before the first replay shots 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Today's TV coverage of racing accidents is extremely cautious and controlled, compared to what I grew up watching in the late '70s and '80s. Back then, when there was a bad crash at a place like Indy, the TV coverage would practically zoom in to get a good shot of the driver's limp, twitching body. And they'd cover the extrication and rescue efforts live.

I think the first racing death I really saw and understood was Gordon Smiley's. It's on youtube, but don't watch unless you want to see someone die.

George Russell is a contracted Merc driver; what are the chances Merc could call up Williams and borrow him for the weekend?  It would also give them a look at whether he is a viable option for a full-time drive in the future, but I'd imagine that's in their contract with Williams.  

Edited by Dutch

Man, I just got through watching the race.  Knowing I wouldn't get to see it live or in a timely manner, I was trying to avoid any news but still saw a mention of "a fiery crash in F1".  So I knew something was coming, but holy shit...  it was still a shock - way worse than what I was thinking I would see at some point, let alone a few turns into the race.

Major respect to the various engineers, scientists, etc., that produced the designs that saved his life.  I'm sure they are busy learning from this one as well.

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Is Botas signed for next season already?  And by “release” in the article, do they mean if Merc gets Williams to release him for these possible two races, it would be for this season only and his contract would still be in place next season with Williams?  Or would that void his next season contract as well?

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

George!

Odds of Russell breaking his 0-35 “starts without a championship point” streak just increased dramatically, and it will be interesting to see if he keeps up his perfect quali record vs teammate. 

17 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Is Botas signed for next season already?  And by “release” in the article, do they mean if Merc gets Williams to release him for these possible two races, it would be for this season only and his contract would still be in place next season with Williams?  Or would that void his next season contract as well?

Yes, Bottas is signed for 2021 and Russell is contracted for Williams.  Since Russell is a “Mercedes Junior” driver, I’m sure there’s language in his contract for situations like this.

Edited by Dutch

Clarkson is sort of right.

An easier way to say it, is== "Get rid of all rules."

No engine specs, teams can build what they want.  No sporting regs, other than those strictly for safety.  No downforce limits, no electronics limits, no radio limitations, nothing.

Only rule I would have, is that at least one manufacturer MUST have a 6-wheeled car.  They can draw straws or something.