Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/report-surge-of-student-suicides-forced-las-vegas-school-district-to-return-to-in-person-learning?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro

The nation’s fifth-largest school district of Clark County, Nevada, will return to in-person education “as quickly as possible” following a “surge” of student suicides in and around the county’s central city, Las Vegas, according to The New York Times.

The shocking news of a rash of student suicides in Nevada has school districts across the country rethinking the strategy of in-home and online learning amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and reconsidering their position that students might fully recover from a year spent out of the company of peers.

“Mental health problems account for a growing proportion of children’s visits to hospital emergency rooms, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,” the outlet noted. “From March, when the pandemic was declared, to October, the figure was up 31 percent for those 12 to 17 years old and 24 percent for children ages 5 to 11 compared with the same period in 2019.”

If true, bad news

Yeah, that part is gut-wrenching.  My 5-year old did an absolutely miraculous job for the past 12 months (we were early adopters that this pandemic could be...you know, a pandemic back in early February).  But the last few weeks have really taken a toll on her between the stress on us with business/economics, remote learning, a number of her friends being sick with Covid-19, etc.  They are so much more perceptive than we realize.  I need to be better for my kids in these next few months as we enter the final, but excruciatingly long, lap of this pandemic.  My heart breaks for those parents.  Losing a child is the worst thing ever, in the history of the human condition.  But I imagine suicide is somehow even worse than that.  

Edited by Lobo

I mean this thread is just garbage. If it's moved to CR it will still be garbage. If you are wanting to talk about Covid-19 there is no way for the conversation not to devolve into absolute trash when you are talking about the US response, because there is no way you can look at the data and take anything positive from the way that US has handled this pandemic. It's a full scale failure at a magnitude that we have never seen before in the modern world. 

If we want to lock this up and have a 2021 version I'm fine with that, but this thread isn't even a metathread for news updates at this point. It's just everyone raging that 400k americans are dead because everyone is so smart and knows how to save the next 200k that will almost certainly die because we've reached a point where there is no stopping the spread of this virus because of it's R levels. 

What is it that people want out of this thread?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean this thread is just garbage. If it's moved to CR it will still be garbage. If you are wanting to talk about Covid-19 there is no way for the conversation not to devolve into absolute trash when you are talking about the US response, because there is no way you can look at the data and take anything positive from the way that US has handled this pandemic. It's a full scale failure at a magnitude that we have never seen before in the modern world. 

If we want to lock this up and have a 2021 version I'm fine with that, but this thread isn't even a metathread for news updates at this point. It's just everyone raging that 400k americans are dead because everyone is so smart and knows how to save the next 200k that will almost certainly die because we've reached a point where there is no stopping the spread of this virus because of it's R levels. 

What is it that people want out of this thread?

I'd like to be able to visit it for news and information without having to scroll through a half page of posts putting forward conspiracy theories that states are opening up because Trump lost the election. I'd like to not see that TexAgs nonsense on a Longhorn board. That would be a start.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Trust the Science (that best suits our narrative)

I mean not to be a dick, but the same thing can be said for rejecting science that doesn't suit your narrative. I think that science based arguments should be taken as a whole body and not put forward as an end all be all.

There is 1 thing that is clear from the science and data, and that's the US has failed completely to contain or reduce the spread of the virus over the last calendar year. 

• Like 1

Just now, immamac said:

but the same thing can be said for rejecting science that doesn't suit your narrative.

I agree. Please point out where I've said anything that suggests otherwise. Things are not black and white. Just look at the suicide rates, loss of jobs & businesses that will result in more suicides, etc. There is no "right" answer to a problem as complex as this. 

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

I agree. Please point out where I've said anything that suggests otherwise. Things are not black and white. Just look at the suicide rates, loss of jobs & businesses that will result in more suicides, etc. There is no "right" answer to a problem as complex as this. 

yeah I think we are in agreement, my point is that anyone who thinks they have the answer is either:

1. In the wrong line of work, because if you have the answer you should be talking to the US Gov, not a bunch of assholes on surly
  2. A lying and deluded person trying to push their beliefs onto other people anonymously on the internet

So are we saying we want this to become a meta thread?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

So are we saying we want this to become a meta thread?

Me? No. I like the jokes/memes/occasional content. Frankly, there's not enough "news" that would pass muster and turning off comments is boring. If someone wants "Only Covid News" they should use the Google instead of a place where assholes like me hang out.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think anyone is asking for a meta thread, mac. I think the majority of this thread would just like to see the politics removed from the thread or moved to the CR where they belong. 

Unless the goals have changed and you've just given up on containing the CR'ing of the DT. In which case that's fine, but should probably be explicitly stated so that everyone understands the rules.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, immamac said:

K, we can make this news only - no commentary/extremely limited summarization of links if thats what people want so it becomes a metathread for updates from media outlets.

Would people like that better?

Yes, and I would stop posting stupid pics.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Is that not fucking clear from the god damned title of the thread?

DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics

I figured that was tongue in cheek, not an admission that you were unable or unwilling to enforce the "no politics on the DT" rule you brought up for the first nine months of the pandemic.

My bad.

Is the entire DT now open for political discussion? Or just threads marked "featuring lots of politics"?

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I figured that was tongue in cheek, not an admission that you were unable or unwilling to enforce the "no politics on the DT" rule you brought up for the first nine months of the pandemic.

My bad.

Is the entire DT now open for political discussion? Or just threads marked "featuring lots of politics"?

It was this thread after last time I had this same conversation and got the same answer.

People actually don't care about politics in this thread, they care that their feelings get hurt because someone is calling them out for being stupid. The problem is the person calling them out for being stupid is also stupid, because Covid-19 is fucking stupid.

I seriously don't come to this thread, because there is 0 possibility that I could possibly come out of this thread having learned something or changing my view on Covid-19.

Personally I think we super fucked this up, we are continuing to super fuck this up and lots and lots of people are gonna die because all of us continue to fuck it up. Unless there is a magic wand that we can wave that will keep everyone home for 4 weeks and have all the things they need to just come out of "hibernation" for 4 weeks then we are just fucked with the reality that is a pandemic that got away from us. 

Spoiler alert: There is no magic fucking wand and Joe Biden being elected doesn't change shit. We are all fucked and until we collectively decide to stop fucking ourselves it doesn't matter who is in charge or what fucking policies are made. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, smoky said:

We'd tell you, but you're all too stupid to understand

that has to be Onion right? It can't be real...

Oh I think I figured it out, maybe one of the metrics is "who is president?"

Edited by dcar00
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  But now that the WHO is changing the count criteria and the conversation is switching to deaths which were trending down anyway.

CA issued the Stay At Home order on December 3rd. LA County hospitalizations were at 2,572.

Now LA County hospitalizations are 6,697 - but they are opening back up. 

What does that tell you about the politicization of all of this?  Glad they are opening back up. I am, however very sorry for the fear, lying, and job losses. It was unnecessary and done purposely to cause harm. 

Vectors have a magnitude and a direction.   You are only using magnitude to make your point. 

Restaurants have a lower transmission % than large in-home gatherings.  But which one of those things can the government manipulate best?  There have been mandates not to have large gatherings at home, but they can’t police that.  They can police the large gatherings that are not at home, to an extent. 

maybe if people took this seriously enough to not have a large thanksgiving, a large Christmas, and a large New Years party, the trend never would have gotten where it did and restaurants would have been opened much sooner, or never closed?  

• Hook 'Em 3

It was this thread after last time I had this same conversation and got the same answer.
People actually don't care about politics in this thread, they care that their feelings get hurt because someone is calling them out for being stupid. The problem is the person calling them out for being stupid is also stupid, because Covid-19 is fucking stupid.
I seriously don't come to this thread, because there is 0 possibility that I could possibly come out of this thread having learned something or changing my view on Covid-19.
Personally I think we super fucked this up, we are continuing to super fuck this up and lots and lots of people are gonna die because all of us continue to fuck it up. Unless there is a magic wand that we can wave that will keep everyone home for 4 weeks and have all the things they need to just come out of "hibernation" for 4 weeks then we are just fucked with the reality that is a pandemic that got away from us. 
Spoiler alert: There is no magic fucking wand and Joe Biden being elected doesn't change shit. We are all fucked and until we collectively decide to stop fucking ourselves it doesn't matter who is in charge or what fucking policies are made. 

There was no chance that we could shut down the entire country for the necessary 3-4 weeks right from the beginning. The minute that first case hit our shores we were fucked. Yes, in theory there are things that could have been done, but when you account for all of the variables in the US that it would have taken to stop this cold you realize it just wasn’t possible. We would all have hoped that there wouldn’t be more than 400k deaths up to this point of course and I hope we’ve learned some things for any future viruses. Asking Americans to stay in their houses for 3-4 weeks was never going to happen and that’s just about the only thing that would have “stopped” this.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Vectors have a magnitude and a direction.   You are only using magnitude to make your point. 

Restaurants have a lower transmission % than large in-home gatherings.  But which one of those things can the government manipulate best?  There have been mandates not to have large gatherings at home, but they can’t police that.  They can police the large gatherings that are not at home, to an extent. 

maybe if people took this seriously enough to not have a large thanksgiving, a large Christmas, and a large New Years party, the trend never would have gotten where it did and restaurants would have been opened much sooner, or never closed?  

Oh, I get it.  You're from the government, and you're here to help.....

Too bad they didn’t police the large public gatherings actually held by said politicians.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

that has to be Onion right? It can't be real...

Oh I think I figured it out, maybe one of the metrics is "who is president?"

image.png.97e5c78acbd0ca428d45e52850db98da.png

But please, go on. I know you're emotional about the election and need an outlet. I'm sorry your guy lost.

Edited by BradInATX

Just now, Hate said:

Too bad they didn’t police the large public gatherings actually held by said politicians.

Yes. And too bad Biden victory calls led to mass public celebrations.  And too bad BLM protests didn’t adhere to social distancing and and masks weren’t ubiquitous. People don’t always act in their own self interest. 

also, calling what we’ve done a lockdown is an insult to actual lockdowns. Measures were taken, but nobody has been confined to their homes. 

57 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

https://www.outkick.com/whitmer-michigan-biden/

MICHIGAN ANNOUNCES RE-OPENING OF RESTAURANTS AND BARS TWO DAYS AFTER BIDEN’S INAUGURATION

ab51238b-2009-4a39-beb0-8e01bc636120_tex

Oh, yeah, it's all some BIG coincidence... Now that I see you get your Covid news from those nutbags at Outkick the Coverage, I can better understand why you're so misinformed and prone to conspiratorial thinking.

Picture1.jpg 

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

image.png.97e5c78acbd0ca428d45e52850db98da.png

But please, go on. I know you're emotional about the election and need an outlet. I'm sorry your guy lost.

still raging and well above the stay at home order time. Open up and it could start raging again because the virus knows no calendar it only knows masks and lockdowns.

I know you hate it when the hypocrisy from your little heroes slaps you in the face. continue on with farce.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

still raging and well above the stay at home order time.

Trends. How do they even work? But I don't expect a guy who admitted on the previous page that he doesn't understand what a lagging indicator is to really grasp the concept of trends.

"Open up and it could start raging again because the virus knows no calendar it only knows masks and lockdowns.

I know you hate it when the hypocrisy from your little heroes slaps you in the face. continue on with farce."

You should do yourself a favor and search for any posts I've made on Gavin Newsome. I strongly dislike him and I think he should have been recalled after getting caught violating his own order. I dislike him almost as much as I dislike morons who shit up every conversation that they don't have the intellectual depth for, trying to make it look more like their Facebook (or Parler) feed so they don't feel uncomfortable.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh, I get it.  You're from the government, and you're here to help.....

I’m from the “I wish people would do the right thing and if they did then government could stay out of it”

But lots of people for some reason won’t wear a mask a few minutes a day when in specific situations, and absolutely have to go to church and dine at restaurants and exercise at fitness clubs. 

I’d would like to take a peek at the timeline where we did these things and see how different it is. 

This one minute family photo op was the only close contact of any length that we’ve had with other human beings in over 10 months - besides several surgery procedures, doctor appointments, and waiters setting food plates on our outdoor dining tables three times. The lack of mingling close enough to smell anyone else’s BO doesn’t bother me.

1D65D300-3CEF-4710-A8E0-B6486C9EBB33.jpeg

E8EAE0DF-6568-4F4E-B2E6-4BD945C9F0C9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Trends. How do they even work? But I don't expect a guy who admitted on the previous page that he doesn't understand what a lagging indicator is to really grasp the concept of trends.

"Open up and it could start raging again because the virus knows no calendar it only knows masks and lockdowns.

I know you hate it when the hypocrisy from your little heroes slaps you in the face. continue on with farce."

You should do yourself a favor and search for any posts I've made on Gavin Newsome. I strongly dislike him and I think he should have been recalled after getting caught violating his own order. I dislike him almost as much as I dislike morons who shit up every conversation that they don't have the intellectual depth for, trying to make it look more like their Facebook (or Parler) feed so they don't feel uncomfortable.

yeah of course you completely missed the irony that he going to open up while California is seeing a RECORD BREAKING number of deaths because its a 2 week lagging indicator.

its OK, I've been told "there isn't much we can do" so I'm going with that and hoping the vax does its work.  maybe that is what Gavin is thinking as well.  we can agree that Newsom(no e) is an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 2

yeah of course you completely missed the irony that he going to open up while California is seeing a RECORD BREAKING number of deaths because its a 2 week lagging indicator.
its OK, I've been told "there isn't much we can do" so I'm going with that and hoping the vax does its work.  maybe that is what Gavin is thinking as well.  we can agree that Newsom(no e) is an idiot.

Wait. The only way to measure this thing is hospitalizations

No wasn’t it positive percentage?

2 week lagging indicator with Deaths?

Tests?

Oh I guess this particular narrative is case trends
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, that part is gut-wrenching.  My 5-year old did an absolutely miraculous job for the past 12 months (we were early adopters that this pandemic could be...you know, a pandemic back in early February).  But the last few weeks have really taken a toll on her between the stress on us with business/economics, remote learning, a number of her friends being sick with Covid-19, etc.  They are so much more perceptive than we realize.  I need to be better for my kids in these next few months as we enter the final, but excruciatingly long, lap of this pandemic.  My heart breaks for those parents.  Losing a child is the worst thing ever, in the history of the human condition.  But I imagine suicide is somehow even worse than that.  

I know we argue over politics, and shit, but definitely make sure she's doing well. This won't be over instantly, but hopefully it'll be over soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wait. The only way to measure this thing is hospitalizations

No wasn’t it positive percentage?

2 week lagging indicator with Deaths?

Tests?

Oh I guess this particular narrative is case trends

its a complicated mix of complex data, algorithms, nuance, half ass guesses, and good old ear to the ground.  I could tell you but it would just be a waste of time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

No, I didn't miss anything. That's not irony. The fact that deaths are a lagging indicator is why it's not the correct metric to use for re-opening. You're showing your lack of understanding of what the word means, which is why I said you didn't understand it the first time. And it's still obvious you don't. Deaths have never been a criteria for states reopening exactly because they're lagging.

Deaths reflect case transmission from 2-3 weeks ago. Only a stupid person would think our government should make day-to-day decisions based off of three week old information.

I don't agree with not revealing the metrics for re-opening. But people who think they understand data and numbers but actually don't are probably the reason he's not, and you're certainly a case study supporting his decision.

Edited by BradInATX

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

LOL, It's not just Newsome, it's all the blue strongholds:  NY, CHicago, etc.  Five days after the bad orange man is out, suddenly revenue losses are important?  Suddenly it's not case counts, but hospitalizations, which were trending down from months prior.  

Three days ago CA broke its own record for most COVID-19 deaths in a single day: 736. The National Guard has been called in L.A. County to help manage overloaded hospital morgues. But NOW they want to open?  

At the same time he's talking about opening things up a bit, he also announced that as they wrap up their first phases of covid vaccinations (first responders, medical, compromised immune systems, etc.), they will be transitioning to an age-based system.     

It almost sounds like he and his people have crunched the numbers - they have vaccinated around 1.1 million people, have enough doses on hand for another 1.4 million people, and are looking at what they are projected to get in coming weeks, and how many they are vaccinating a day, and have decided that they have vaccinated a significant enough chunk of those who would die from covid, to start relaxing things and let those who could get covid and still live, run that risk.

Everybody keeps crowing about the timing relating to certain events in D.C., while they conveniently ignore the fact that more and more at-risk folks are getting vaccinated.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

No, I didn't miss anything. That's not irony. The fact that deaths are a lagging indicator is why it's not the correct metric to use for re-opening. You're showing your lack of understanding of what the word means, which is why I said you didn't understand it the first time. And it's still obvious you don't. Deaths have never been a criteria for states reopening exactly because they're lagging.

Deaths reflect case transmission from 2-3 weeks ago. Only a stupid person would think our government should make day-to-day decisions based off of three week old information.

I don't agree with not revealing the metrics for re-opening. But people who think they understand data and numbers but actually don't are probably the reason he's not, and you're certainly a case study supporting his decision.

you are willfuly ignoring the politics at play and that newsom hasn't been following data since this began.  He is having record breaking deaths recently which means just 2 weeks ago it was bad as it has ever been and NOW he is going to take a calculated risk. That is irony.  People have been asking him to take calculated risks for months to help the economy and jobs and he played lockdown king.   And now he is hiding data after saying we must do this by the data.  I wouldn't expect you to understand because you obviously don't.

The icing was the whole "transmissions are happening in restaurants, OMG! the restaurants!" thing that was debunked(I want you to think LONG and HARD about what people do in restaurants, remember).  yet stay at home orders, no restaurants, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you are willfuly ignoring the politics at play and that newsom hasn't been following data since this began.  He is having record breaking deaths recently which means just 2 weeks ago it was bad as it has ever been and NOW he is going to take a calculated risk. That is irony.  People have been asking him to take calculated risks for months to help the economy and jobs and he played lockdown king.   And now he is hiding data after saying we must do this by the data.  I wouldn't expect you to understand because you obviously don't.

The icing was the whole "transmissions are happening in restaurants, OMG! the restaurants!" thing that was debunked(I want you to think LONG and HARD about what people do in restaurants, remember).  yet stay at home orders, no restaurants, etc.

Cases on the day they issued stay at home orders on the way up: 21,846

Cases on the day they rescinded the order, as cases are plummeting: 21,680

The day they rescinded the order was literally the day where cases dipped below the number of cases on the day they made the order.

I mean or it could be the conspiracy theory you got on your Qanon forum. Shrug. Who even knows.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Cases on the day they issued stay at home orders on the way up: 21,846

Cases on the day they rescinded the order, as cases are plummeting: 21,680

The day they rescinded the order was literally the day where cases dipped below the number of cases on the day they made the order.

And the day they issued the order, few people had been vaccinated - CA didn't formally start vaccinating first responders, nursing home patients, heavily compromised, etc. until the December stay-at-home order had just started going into effect.

The day they lifted the order, over a million people in Cali had been vaccinated, with another million scheduled.

May not seem like a lot of people (since there's almost 30 million adults in CA), but we are talking about a million of those most at risk of dying and/or most at risk of contracting/spreading it to those who could die from it.

From a purely numbers point of view, once you start vaccinating certain segments of your adult population, you will dramatically decrease the numbers of deaths and those requiring ICU/ventilators, and as long as you can keep the vaccines coming, those numbers will continue to drop over time.

The only major question is how long does the vaccine last.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

There was no chance that we could shut down the entire country for the necessary 3-4 weeks right from the beginning. The minute that first case hit our shores we were fucked. Yes, in theory there are things that could have been done, but when you account for all of the variables in the US that it would have taken to stop this cold you realize it just wasn’t possible. We would all have hoped that there wouldn’t be more than 400k deaths up to this point of course and I hope we’ve learned some things for any future viruses. Asking Americans to stay in their houses for 3-4 weeks was never going to happen and that’s just about the only thing that would have “stopped” this.

Bingo - It was fucked because we made it fucked with our greed at the very start. American Politicians aren't to blame for the rampant spread (don't give a shit who you voted for) American GREED is responsible.

People need to "get theirs" and no one has time to "support the ones who can't work" - it's really sad that there is enough wealth in this country (not brrrrt machine fed wealth) to pay a 4 week stay at home order 500 times (or more) over if that's what was necessary and those holding that wealth saying "that's not my fucking problem, be less poor lololol" 

Our politicians may have felt like they let us down, but when you get to the brass tacks of it we doomed ourselves. New Zealand didn't fucking make some radical game changing policy from the government to kill the virus, neither did Korea etc. They had all of the people deem it to be their own personal responsibility to keep the spread from happening. In America there has been no personal responsibility, and arguably there has been blatant disregard for those who have been holding themselves personally accountable by those who are too selfish to sacrifice something for the greater good. 

In short: Americans are fat dumb selfish and worst of all stupid and that's why Covid-19 hit here harder than other places. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away