Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah dude, we're not.  My daughter is still remote learning, we sure as shit ain't breaking protocol to attend some shitfest for some second cousin or friend we barely keep up with.  Two of the cheapest thrills in life---RSVP'ing "NO" to something and knowing you just bought yourself hours, even days, or freedom.  And dropping stuff off at Saint Vincent de Paul.  At least a couple boxes per quarter of old stuff.  I fucking hate shopping, but I love giving shit away.  It's like a drug.  So good.  Anyway, yeah---not going to any weddings unless it's one of my wife's two sisters.  Even then, I think I can personally get out of one.  

Why is your daughter remote learning?  My kids go to a private school in Houston and we have been in person since August.  The only blow up of cases was during the Christmas vacation (my kids both got it too during the break from their mother and me).  There has been basically zero transmissions at school.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why is your daughter remote learning?  My kids go to a private school in Houston and we have been in person since August.  The only blow up of cases was during the Christmas vacation (my kids both got it too during the break from their mother and me).  There has been basically zero transmissions at school.

Because I believe in school choice.  As a parent and political advocate, I have fought for charter schools (served on an advisory board of IDEA schools), advocated for vouchers, testified before the state legislature, lobbied TEA, serve on my school district's Envision Committee (kind of a link between administration and Board of Trustees), and serve myriad roles to get students and parents prepared for higher education as well.  So with all that advocacy for choice comes my family's choice for ourselves.  We chose to keep our daughter in a learning pod in our own home with three students for the first 3 9-week periods.  She will return to in-person learning in early March for the remainder of the school year. 

I am glad your private school worked out for your kids, but in our public district---while parents were threatening administrators and principals and teachers...we quietly built out a badass learning pod in our garage where my wife, who holds a master's degree in speech pathology and worked in public schools for almost 20 years, worked with the little pod cohort from 9-1pm each day before they went home to do their remote iPad lessons.  When I was able to work at home,  I organized music and "recess" and some Spanish, and she handled everything else with the other moms.  We were more fortunate than others, I admit (not as cool as you private school cats ;)  ).  But it's reached its end, our daughter needs to return to the classroom so we are re-engaging next month to go back for the final 9-week period in early March.

We completely understand the risks of remote learning.  Our daughter has done great overall, but there are certainly hiccups.  But school choice is something I've fought for since before I had children.  I think teacher's unions are bullshit, I think our State Board of Education is a fucking joke, and I don't like the monopoly that most underperforming public school districts have on their residents.  But I made a commitment to do three things---work my ass off to stay in a premier school district for my the benefit of two girls, to help lift up other people in other districts to get better access to better opportunities, and expand school choice for parents.  For us...this year...that choice was ours to make we chose remote learning/POD for 3/4 of the year and in-person for the last 1/4 of the year.  

TL;DR....my 5 year old can't stop putting her hands in her mouth so she was determined to be patient zero at her elementary school.  

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Weird how you suggest the election was stolen types are more likely to get Covid.  Considering a comparison the stats of per capita hospitalizations and deaths between red and blue states.  How do you reconcile that?  At some point there needs to be a score keeping done on per capita deaths in various states and their unemployment rates due to their ineffective mitigation and shutdown requirements.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills when I see our media slam Desantis and praise Cuomo.  I don't see how that makes any damn sense.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am going to wait to vaccinate even though I have some connections at a Houston hospital where I could get one pretty much whenever.  I have already had Covid as has my wife.  I am waiting until June or July to get it and all the older and high risk people will have had their chance.  I am thrilled with American innovation of getting the vaccines with high efficacy rolled out so quickly.  There are hiccups with distribution but overall it is pretty damn impressive (and this is not political, I credit our pharma industry and think overall the various state governments are doing an admirable job allocating vaccines).  From the beginning the only thing that was going to defeat Covid was these vaccines. I am thrilled we have the vaccines with their proven efficacy.

Life comes at you pretty fast...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well, the vaccine ain’t coming at me & Mrs. Brat very fast.

We’ve been signed up on waiting lists to get an appointment for 3 weeks but haven’t heard a word.

Keep trying. It should happen soon. Texas has been one of the best big states and getting shots in people. 

two paragraphs dude, not a "wall of words."  Only thing more incessant than a long post is your bitching about it's length or tone.  You post like a fucking middle-aged woman day in and day out.  Instead of complaining, either put a poster on "ignore", report it, or skip over it.  Your fucking whining is a wall of wailing, menstruating words in and of themselves.  Man the fuck up and move on.  You say "wall of words" like you're some kinda champion of a non-existent sport in your own sad head. 

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

“Weaponized Autism” shits on that.

I like the spirit of that, but it doesn't roll off the tongue.  Probably because of all the cotton residue and rimming remnants. 

Oooohhhh...what about "Rimming Remnants" for a band name?  Bad_teammate and GrHorn on dueling drum kits.  

4 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

proud of you two communicating without being cunts to each other.  2021 is looking up

The last two pages of this thread have been some kumbayah voodoo stuff, considering the posters involved (including myself). Cheers, assholes.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The last two pages of this thread have been some kumbayah voodoo stuff, considering the posters involved (including myself). Cheers, assholes.

I feel so many people inching closer to what a lot of people have advocated for a long time. 

The system is irreversibly set against the average American. The elite here can avoid jail time and financial losses when most would be rekt. Eyes are being opened. 

How do you rebel? Support someone like Bernie? How did that work? Resistance from within is futile.

On top of people realizing that it’s a two tiered justice and financial system, throw in the realization that with direct stimulus and massive money printing there will be inflation to devalue what savings you have. 

If you really wanna protest against the system, and make some money, you buy Bitcoin.

Probably not the most correct thread, but I know so many of our braintrust have outspoken opinions on newsom

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/man-found-with-five-fully-operational-pipe-bombs-was-targeting-governor-newsom/

What a funny coincidence that the same gov newsom most reviled in this thread by the "covid is no biggie" crowd was also targeted by a "stolen election" loon. I sure do wonder why there's such an overlap there... 

Probably not the most correct thread, but I know so many of our braintrust have outspoken opinions on newsom
https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/man-found-with-five-fully-operational-pipe-bombs-was-targeting-governor-newsom/
What a funny coincidence that the same gov newsom most reviled in this thread by the "covid is no biggie" crowd was also targeted by a "stolen election" loon. I sure do wonder why there's such an overlap there... 

Maybe he was a waiter at French Laundry and Newsom gave him a shitty tip?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Interesting post. Could you define covid no biggie? Is it the type that won’t wear masks, won’t vaccinate, storm the capitol....or the type that go to bed and not think tomorrow’s their last day on earth because they’ll die to covid even tho they’ve worn masks this entire time?
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Also a funny coincidence that Newsome's recall votes are inching closer to the needed 1.5M.  Nothing but loons there too, right?  Everyone with a voice coming out of LA:  podcasters, comedians, business & restaurant owners, ex pats, all rage against that imbecile.  You truly have the intellect of a bag of rusty hammers. 

We're through January?  What month has 27 days in it?  Or this is some secret Qanon shit..."And on the 28th day of the 1st month, we shall have had two fornights.  Two WEEKS!"  ???

I think I'm gonna give up Covid for Lent next month. 

Officially through the coldest month of the year in a lot of places around the country, if that’s worth anything.

As someone who resides in the area of the country, late January-February is brutal, but our cases have stayed down compared to November.

Also Columbia university thinks North Dakota is close to herd immunity

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We're through January?  What month has 27 days in it?  Or this is some secret Qanon shit..."And on the 28th day of the 1st month, we shall have had two fornights.  Two WEEKS!"  ???

I think I'm gonna give up Covid for Lent next month. 

Officially mostly through, if it makes you feel better. 

'officially mostly'...you should run for office ;) 

I am thankful that some of the numbers seem to be coming down a bit, which is good news because Austin/Travis County was really flaring up.  The dates of import on the calendar seemed to have had a much larger effect on community spread than do the weather of the calendar.  As a family, we're starting to get a hint more optimistic but know we have still have six more months of this shit.  We're a year in, but we've 50% more to go. 

February and March weather is so fucking goofy in Austin anyway, there have been freezes and even snow.  And there have been Ozone advisory days near 100*.  I'm more concerned with people being stupid again with travel/spring break/Easter/etc. than the weather though.  

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

As someone who resides in the area of the country, late January-February is brutal, but our cases have stayed down compared to November.

Also Columbia university thinks North Dakota is close to herd immunity

So the bison are going to make it huh? 

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

All the folks denying some pretty good science that says schools are safe and should be open makes me think neither side of the political spectrum has a solid grip on the moral high ground.

well yeah but don't let the media and big tech know.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wonder if any group or entity is going to be doing the same kind of postmortem auditing of the Texas Covid numbers to get any halfway accurate sense of how it has affected the different demographics.

This article indicates there has been some real incompetence going on in NY, so undoubtedly Texas probably hasn’t performed any better, what with the doofuses we have in charge here.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/536297-cuomo-administration-severely-undercounted-covid-19-deaths-at

16 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Well, the vaccine ain’t coming at me & Mrs. Brat very fast.

We’ve been signed up on waiting lists to get an appointment for 3 weeks but haven’t heard a word.

Randall’s has some vaccines. Go to their website. Select Austin Balcones location. I get their updates but couldn’t register since I don’t qualify for first phases 

two paragraphs dude, not a "wall of words."  Only thing more incessant than a long post is your bitching about it's length or tone.  You post like a fucking middle-aged woman day in and day out.  Instead of complaining, either put a poster on "ignore", report it, or skip over it.  Your fucking whining is a wall of wailing, menstruating words in and of themselves.  Man the fuck up and move on.  You say "wall of words" like you're some kinda champion of a non-existent sport in your own sad head. 

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Randall’s has some vaccines. Go to their website. Select Austin Balcones location. I get their updates but couldn’t register since I don’t qualify for first phases 

Thanks, but that’s in Austin and I do not want to be a carpetbagger. We’ll stick with Wilco. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I assume this is the link to do so:
https://mhealthcheckin.com/covidappt

I didn't see any available times people could sign up, I'm assuming they filled up pretty quick.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Thanks, but that’s in Austin and I do not want to be a carpetbagger. We’ll stick with Wilco. 

Brat, your call, but not everyone is getting the same amount in all locations.  Its expected that people will sign up for whereever you can to get a shot.  Austin/Wilco is the same region.  You are in the 1A/1B group.  you aren't carpetbagging and you aren't jumping the line.  sign up and get it, IMO.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

When you look at covid outcomes, Florida (which has very few restrictions, schools open, and no mask mandate) has run laps around NY.  And now we see that NY deaths are even higher than officially reported, yet Desantis is vilified by the media and Cuomo is fellated. 

I wonder why that is? 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

When you look at covid outcomes, Florida (which has very few restrictions, schools open, and no mask mandate) has run laps around NY.  And now we see that NY deaths are even higher than officially reported, yet Desantis is vilified by the media and Cuomo is fellated. 

I wonder why that is? 

are they saying it is more overall deaths than have been reported or are they saying he classified a bunch of deaths that were nursing home residents as NOT nursing home deaths but hospital/home deaths?

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

are they saying it is more overall deaths than have been reported or are they saying he classified a bunch of deaths that were nursing home residents as NOT nursing home deaths but hospital/home deaths?

I'm guessing Cuomo didn't cover this in his book he wrote about how to effectively handle a pandemic or in his primetime DNC speech, so we'll need to look at today's news stories.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cuomo-nursing-home-covid-deaths-ny-attorney-general-james-report-2021-1

In the James report released Thursday, the New York Department of Health (DOH) is essentially accused of juking the stats by omitting nursing home patients who died from the coronavirus while in hospital.

"Preliminary data obtained by O.A.G. suggests that many nursing home residents died from Covid-19 in hospitals after being transferred from their nursing homes, which is not reflected in D.O.H.'s published total nursing home death data," the AG's office wrote in a summary of the report.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away