Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I'm not opposed to opening schools. But it's amazing that our politicians can sit here and say that getting kids back in schools is essential and is worth the risk and at the same time refuse to allow teachers to get vaccinated as part of the 1A rollout. 

What an absolute dick move. "You're super essential and we MUST get kids back in school, but not essential enough for us to take steps to protect you". Unreal.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

How many of the grubby little shits infected others? I know it is challenging to count for that impact, but it was where a big part of the fear was. 

I can only speak for SMISD. What we saw when schools locked down was kids said fuck online and it was party as normal going from house to house, park to park. Daughter was a senior last Spring and most of her friends gave zero fucks. 

School is still a hybrid in San Marcos and changes weekly. Have a few friends who teach at SMHS and they are always moving from Pods to all virtual to half and half. Maddening. 

I would have preferred half days for 50% of kids, Friday can be online and sanitize the shit out of school/teacher prep/sip read wine from coffee mugs. Keeps numbers down in the hallways, lunch time is the switch over period so those kids who need meal assistance still have access, and kids at least get some time 4 days a week with their teachers. Impact would be on transportation for sure, but these are assets that could be adjusted and utilized vs. sitting parked. 

I don't doubt kid infection is spread via contact with other kids as a large % but I would imagine there is also parent to child transmission as a major driver as well.

Ultimately kids don't seem to be passing it in school due to all the steps that are taking place to prevent spread. Teachers don't seem to be catching it from students either but rather just from the outside lives they lead. AISD has been super conservative here in terms of returning to schools and it doesn't seem that they have seen a material reduction in cases etc compared to other districts.

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Ultimately kids don't seem to be passing it in school due to all the steps that are taking place to prevent spread. Teachers don't seem to be catching it from students either but rather just from the outside lives they lead.

This is how I see it. As long as the proper procedures can be followed, namely mask wearing and distancing, in person school does not appear to be a huge site for transmission (and esp elementary). To the extent that I have seen tracing of cases tied to school, the transmission has been in environments outside the classroom setting (e.g. busses, and sports with indoor components). 

This is how I see it. As long as the proper procedures can be followed, namely mask wearing and distancing, in person school does not appear to be a huge site for transmission (and esp elementary). To the extent that I have seen tracing of cases tied to school, the transmission has been in environments outside the classroom setting (e.g. busses, and sports with indoor components). 

I recall seeing that either the UK or the SA variant (or both) seems to spread more among children.

If you want open schools, give the teachers vaccination priority.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Meanwhile I just checked and since the start of the delayed semester (last Monday) my kids’ school is averaging 1 new confirmed and 1 new presumptive case per day at 25% capacity two days per week. More than I thought.  

My advanced statistical modeling tells me that at 100% every day we’d be looking at several more than that.  

You should take that advanced model of your kid’s elementary school and show it to the officials at all the entities that have said transmission at school is not a major issue. They might need to walk some things back. 

It’s time to face facts. Opposing opening for safety concerns is anti-science. Almost as much as saying there’s more than two sexes or that the vaccine will put the mark of the beast on you. Embrace it. 

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

HOW ARE WE GOING TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!! /amirite?

fiscal conservatism begins crawling out of its hole, covered in its own shit but still breathing.

When you think about it, it’s not often that you get such concrete evidence of incompetence and/or corruption on a state and local level. Saying it’s impossible to open safely without X billion more dollars when so much of the country has done it months ago. Or when private schools without federal grants have opened in the same jurisdictions. Just pathetic governance. 

I'm not opposed to opening schools. But it's amazing that our politicians can sit here and say that getting kids back in schools is essential and is worth the risk and at the same time refuse to allow teachers to get vaccinated as part of the 1A rollout. 
What an absolute dick move. "You're super essential and we MUST get kids back in school, but not essential enough for us to take steps to protect you". Unreal.

Yeah, the gall is pretty incredible. I have a friend who teaches in a suburban Houston district; I forget the details on the logistics but he was vaccinated through his district. Young guy, not 1B health wise. So at least some of them are being proactive. But if we’re going to have skills open, and I think most of us agree they should be, I don’t know how staff aren’t 1A.

26 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

So I've been told that it's primarily Trump voters and Qanoners and dumb rednecks who are going to refuse the vaccine.

I guess I didn't realize those groups were made up primarily of young people and Blacks.

26 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

So I've been told that it's primarily Trump voters and Qanoners and dumb rednecks who are going to refuse the vaccine.

I guess I didn't realize those groups were made up primarily of young people and Blacks.

God damn you are a whiny pussy.

• Like 1

Extrapolating from the data by age in these two breakouts (same poll), well, get your shit together gen X.

Also Q anon and dumb rednecks fall pretty much exclusively into the Republican and non college grad categories as opposed to Democrats and college grad, and, well yeah.

Generalizations are fun.

Building on the school age work above I pulled Travis Co age demo breakdown from 2019. It will be a little lower than 2020 but 2019 is what is out there currently.

I then divided CV19 cases to date into the population by age bucket to get a view of what % of that age bucket have had CV19. We see a high of 9.21% of the 20 to 29 group have had CV19. A low of 2.19% of the 0-9 age group. Interesting breakouts.

edit - Y Axis on Left is population count, secondary Y axis is % of CV19 within that population

image.png.9054340eea04e40c2b57df8ccf250caf.png

Edited by BrazilHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Every Texan, I implore you...try to pretend you'd give a solitary fuck about people from Florida not being let out of their insane asylum.  Put aside your politics and just realize, we'll still get the sublimely ridiculous "Florida Man..." headlines.  We just don't have to let them openly operate around us.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Every Texan, I implore you...try to pretend you'd give a solitary fuck about people from Florida not being let out of their insane asylum.  Put aside your politics and just realize, we'll still get the sublimely ridiculous "Florida Man..." headlines.  We just don't have to let them openly operate around us.  

But I’m going there this summer. Can I go if I wear 8 masks? 

Why in the fuck would you voluntarily go to Florida in the summertime?  If it's to visit a dying relative, then my thoughts and prayers.  Otherwise, da fuh?  

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

The beaches 

Take it from someone who used to live there, there are some nice beaches but nothing you can't find all over the rest of the country.  And the nice ones are filled with Floridians.  All the time.  Remember, you can have all the private access to the beach you want (resorts try to advertise this fact like they have some special slice of the beachfront), but where the sand meets the water in Florida, you'll find nothing by Florida white trash as far as the eye can see...it's all public.  They start at some public beach input and then make their way down to the nice areas and infect it like...well...like Covid. 

Why in the fuck would you voluntarily go to Florida in the summertime?  If it's to visit a dying relative, then my thoughts and prayers.  Otherwise, da fuh?  

Nobody goes in the summer. Willingly. We go in the spring because the weather is perfect and when we get back to Minny, it’s not gonna be a -30 shock.

So joes covid plan thus far is Double mask and ban Florida?

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Take it from someone who used to live there, there are some nice beaches but nothing you can't find all over the rest of the country.  And the nice ones are filled with Floridians.  All the time.  Remember, you can have all the private access to the beach you want (resorts try to advertise this fact like they have some special slice of the beachfront), but where the sand meets the water in Florida, you'll find nothing by Florida white trash as far as the eye can see...it's all public.  They start at some public beach input and then make their way down to the nice areas and infect it like...well...like Covid. 

Where I go they keep the riff raff like yourself out. 

The Chili’s there is phenomenal.  I’ll get you a table, let me know you know me.  ;)

actually new Smyrna beach is very underrated and less riff taffy than Daytona.  I used to live about 15mts from there. 

38 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Nobody goes in the summer. Willingly. We go in the spring because the weather is perfect and when we get back to Minny, it’s not gonna be a -30 shock.

So joes covid plan thus far is Double mask and ban Florida?

well yes, but this plan is after the initial "I give up" plan.

Edited by dcar00
  • Haha 2

How exactly would they be able to restrict Florida travel? 

They would do it because 1/3 of all Uk variants cases are there? So that means 2/3 of them are elsewhere in the USA. Um, ok. 

All reasonable people are strongly for travel restrictions on Florida, with or without COVID.
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, GRHorn said:

You should take that advanced model of your kid’s elementary school and show it to the officials at all the entities that have said transmission at school is not a major issue. They might need to walk some things back. 

It’s time to face facts. Opposing opening for safety concerns is anti-science. Almost as much as saying there’s more than two sexes or that the vaccine will put the mark of the beast on you. Embrace it. 

1.  High School. Kids who are at an age where transmission is roughly equivalent for adults, or so say those experts who you selectively choose to listen to.

2. It’s not a “model,” it’s these neat things called facts. I get an email virtually every single night from the principal that says at least one new confirmed and usually at least one additional presumptive case. Works out to 4-5 cases per week. At a school where no more than 25% of the kids are going, and no kid goes more than two days per week. So, Mr. Science, does it seem likely to you that 4 times the kids going 5 days a week might mean more cases?

You need to face the fact that there is just the slightest fucking possibility that those facts don’t fit your narrative. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I get an email from my kids school every time there is a positive test from student or teacher that has been in person. Roughly 60% of the kids are in person going 5 days a week and I can count on two hands how many emails I’ve gotten since the start of the school year.

Fingers crossed we can finally get rid of Kim Ogg. Hopefully we finally have bipartisan support to kick her ass to the curb.

Edited by Enchubben

8 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

1.  High School. Kids who are at an age where transmission is roughly equivalent for adults, or so say those experts who you selectively choose to listen to.

2. It’s not a “model,” it’s these neat things called facts. I get an email virtually every single night from the principal that says at least one new confirmed and usually at least one additional presumptive case. Works out to 4-5 cases per week. At a school where no more than 25% of the kids are going, and no kid goes more than two days per week. So, Mr. Science, does it seem likely to you that 4 times the kids going 5 days a week might mean more cases?

You need to face the fact that there is just the slightest fucking possibility that those facts don’t fit your narrative. 

High schools are worse for sure. 

I’m confused, what exactly do you think is my “narrative”?

For decades the folks in here crying every day about schools have been voting to gut our education system.

Now that they're not available to babysit their kids, they've come to Jesus and constantly bitch and moan about how critical the schools are.

Oh no, the leopards ate my face! Who could have ever predicted this!

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd719hr2xxhc5bgcs7k1mq9rczvhv6mqdor1lw8lj3r&rid=giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

StrawMan2.jpg

Nope. If schools weren't running on fumes from a funding perspective they'd have the money to put in ventilation systems and other measures to make it safer. If we hadn't gutted them to the point where there are 25-30 kids in every class the risk would be much lower.

If a certain type of politician hadn't demonized the education system to the point where they are now locked into their political corner , they'd have already vaccinated all of our teachers and there wouldn't even be any issues.

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

If schools weren't running on fumes from a funding perspective

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) compiled educational data from nations across the globe each year for its publication Education at a Glance. The most recent version for 2018 reports that, in 2015, the United States spent approximately $12,800 per student on elementary and secondary education. That is over 35% more than the OECD country average of $9,500. At the post-secondary level, the United States spent approximately $30,000 per student, which was 93% higher than the average of OECD countries ($16,100).

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/020915/what-country-spends-most-education.asp

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....unless there’s some real important facts omitted from that story....that’s fucking bullshit. Hell, it should be a cold dead stop once you get to the “he got approval from a supervisor” part.

This story is a little funny.  I need to see more - this story reads like it was solely from the doc and his lawyer.  

He drove these doses from the drive-thru vaccine site in Atascocita all the way to Sugar Land just to vaccinate his wife and his friends?  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away