CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Soju sounds like the South Korean version of drinking lean.  Pos rep for some of y'all's stories.  particularly "my roommate got some kind of special olympics level drunk"  

I doubt I'll ever make it to the Korean peninsula, but if I do----I will skip Polly's.  The first few photos online look like a Waffle House bathroom after Mardi Gras.  I don't even want to know what's on page 2.  

3 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Is Polly’s still standing?  Last time I was over there we rolled through Itaewon and hooker hill was a ghost town. Seemed like all the internationals found a new place to party. Itaweon was more shopping than anything else, and with Yongsan closing, I would guess that last little bit of fun is toast. 

They're still there...just more on the other side of the street. When I was there the past few trips I saw way more foreigners in Gangnam and Hongdae than I did when I was living there. Friends told me they got rid of the booking clubs a while back. Legitimately the greatest type of clubbing ever invented. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Soju sounds like the South Korean version of drinking lean.  Pos rep for some of y'all's stories.  particularly "my roommate got some kind of special olympics level drunk"  

I doubt I'll ever make it to the Korean peninsula, but if I do----I will skip Polly's.  The first few photos online look like a Waffle House bathroom after Mardi Gras.  I don't even want to know what's on page 2.  

You don't go to kettle houses for the atmosphere, you go there to get hammered.  Then you stumble next door to the club and try to remain standing as long as you can.  The first soju experience is pretty much the same for everyone.  You laugh off the soju because you're drinking this fruit soda mixed with it and cant really taste it and you only feel slightly buzzed.  Then you get up to take a piss and find that someone replaced your legs with those of a newborn giraffe.   It gets better/worse from there.  You will definitely do some time traveling while drinking kettles.  

6 hours ago, AngryDragon said:

They're still there...just more on the other side of the street. When I was there the past few trips I saw way more foreigners in Gangnam and Hongdae than I did when I was living there. Friends told me they got rid of the booking clubs a while back. Legitimately the greatest type of clubbing ever invented. 

Makes sense, Gangnam has the party reputation.  Korea doesn't stand still, my last run through Polly's was in 97.  Back then they were still pretty fucked up infrastructure wise.  Last time I was over there was in 2012 IIRC, and Itaewon was already really different.  They had cracked down on a lot of the counterfeit stuff and the stores were more and more upscale.  We had to run down to Osan to find good deals on coachie purses.  The other haunt we would frequent back in the 90s was OB's beef and beer because it was all you could eat and drink for like 15k won.  We would hit that place at 5, eat the shit out of some beef and leaf and choke down that horse piss before heading to the hill.  It was a bit of a ride on the subway, I don't remember what part of town that was in anymore.  

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Goredho said:

It seems like Covid-19 and its impact can be largely controlled if individuals elect and/or are allowed to:

* avoid large gatherings (I include avoiding offices/cubical farms in this)
* wear masks when in public

I live in a part of Colorado where tourism is the economy.  I know a guy here who runs a VRBO property management business.  Since Memorial Day when things started to be relaxed, he's seen 30% more bookings for his clients over the previous highest year for June-August.  So we are getting people from all over the country here in numbers larger than ever seen before, but we have not had a huge outbreak.

Common sense, and letting expertise and data guide the strategy seems to have worked.  Our governor was quick to shut down the ski resorts going into spring break, pursued testing aggressively, reopened cautiously and immediately put in a mandatory mask requirement when cases started to tick up slightly.  Almost all of the local businesses are enforcing masks, almost all the locals willingly accept it and our county shut down big events like the 4th of July celebration and the like so we aren't having huge gatherings of people.

The net result is a curve that flattened and has stayed flat while almost all of the small businesses dependent on tourism have already recouped their losses from earlier this year.  I know of two local businesses that will likely not reopen, and they both would likely have gone out of businesses anyway.

In short, Covid-19 isn't *that* bad assuming you have competent leadership in the government where you live and aren't completely surrounded by a bunch of fucking morons.

I just got back from spending about 9 days in Pagosa Springs, Colorado.  It might have been 60-70% mask usage in convenience stores.  Mask requirement signs on the door but people just walk right in.  First time I saw it I had to make sure there was actually a sign on the door (there was).  Even the 50-60 year old cashier (smelled like a smoker and easily 300+ pounds) took her mask off while helping those gentlemen in the store without the mask and only put it back on when I went up to the counter.  Also noticed as the week went on (I got there last sunday) more and more people began to arrive in this small town.  From what I gathered, most of the people in that town don't care for the masks.

Also driving back and holy shit San Angelo.  went into a gas station and there may have been 4 out of 10 people wearing a mask inside with me and the 2 cashiers being 3 of the 4.  West Texas don't give no fucks.

Also: not intended to be a dig or be seen as talking shit to Goredho but those were my experiences.  The more west from San Antonio I went, mask usage declined.  

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

I just got back from spending about 9 days in Pagosa Springs, Colorado.  It might have been 60-70% mask usage in convenience stores.  Mask requirement signs on the door but people just walk right in.  First time I saw it I had to make sure there was actually a sign on the door (there was).  Even the 50-60 year old cashier (smelled like a smoker and easily 300+ pounds) took her mask off while helping those gentlemen in the store without the mask and only put it back on when I went up to the counter.  Also noticed as the week went on (I got there last sunday) more and more people began to arrive in this small town.  From what I gathered, most of the people in that town don't care for the masks.

Also driving back and holy shit San Angelo.  went into a gas station and there may have been 4 out of 10 people wearing a mask inside with me and the 2 cashiers being 3 of the 4.  West Texas don't give no fucks.

Also: not intended to be a dig or be seen as talking shit to Goredho but those were my experiences.  The more west from San Antonio I went, mask usage declined.  

I don’t take it as a knock.  Colorado is not perfect by any means.  We have red counties full of libertarians and sovereign citizen types that bristle against the governmental intrusion (aka common sense).  There certainly isn’t 100% mask usage across the state.

My point was simply that the ratio of people exercising common sense vs willful stupidity needs to just be high enough for a community to be weathering the pandemic alright.  With “high enough” probably varying on local population density & other factors.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

A salon in Springfield MO had a Covid-positive stylist work on well over 100 clients' hair, and no clients and no coworkers caught the virus.  The salon workers were all wearing masks.

I don't know why our resident right-wingers feel like random drive-bys hold any purchase, but they don't.  If you feel like you've uncovered some rare political doublespeak, you need another fucking hobby.

• Hook 'Em 2

COVID-19 Can Wreck Your Heart, Even if You Haven’t Had Any Symptoms

A growing body of research is raising concerns about the cardiac consequences of the coronavirus

Here’s the background: Myocarditis appears to result from the direct infection of the virus attacking the heart, or possibly as a consequence of the inflammation triggered by the body’s overly aggressive immune response. And it is not age-specific: In The Lancet, doctors recently reported on an 11-year-old child with multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C)—a rare illness—who died of myocarditis and heart failure. At autopsy, pathologists were able to identify coronavirus particles present in the child’s cardiac tissue, helping to explain the virus’ direct involvement in her death. In fact, researchers are reporting the presence of viral protein in the actual heart muscle, of six deceased patients. Of note is the fact that these patients were documented to have died of lung failure, having had neither clinical signs of heart involvement, nor a prior history of cardiac disease.

Experts estimate that half of myocarditis cases resolve without a chronic complication, but several studies suggest that COVID-19 patients show signs of the condition months after contracting the virus. One non–peer reviewed study, involving 139 health care workers who developed coronavirus infection and recovered, found that about 10 weeks after their initial symptoms, 37 percent of them were diagnosed with myocarditis or myopericarditis—and fewer than half of those had showed symptoms at the time of their scans.

Any such cardiac sequelae lingering weeks to months after the fact is clearly concerning, and we’re seeing more evidence of it. A German study found that 78 percent of recovered COVID-19 patients, the majority of whom had only mild to moderate symptoms, demonstrated cardiac involvement more than two months after their initial diagnoses. Six in 10 were found to have persistent myocardial inflammation. While emphasizing that individual patients need not be nervous, lead investigator Elike Nagel added in an e-mail, “My personal take is that COVID will increase the incidence of heart failure over the next decades.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/covid-19-can-wreck-your-heart-even-if-you-havent-had-any-symptoms/

But holy shit, Pelosi's haircut!

Since GRHorn is obviously a twitter fan, I wonder how he feels about this?

The twitter account of Herman Cain posted that Covid-19 was "not as deadly" as made out, just weeks after the one-time Republican presidential candidate died from the virus.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/herman-cain-twitter-coronavirus-death-claim-republican-cdc-figures-a9696966.html

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

2 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Herman Cain died from covid so he could later on tweet about how big of a hoax it is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Seriously?

Holy shit, you're right, no need for masks!

16 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I just don't get it.  Even if Pelosi fucked up, somehow that makes the mask emphasis not a good one?  It terrifies me that somehow he claims to be in the medical field.

I’m not a no masker. I’m a minimal lockdowner. Nance’s party and state are not. But she’s ok bending the rules for herself while people’s livelihoods are rekt. 

14 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Myocarditis happens with most viral infections, rarely. 

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

4MS65WZCWZAGKA4XMEPR4A26BM.thumb.jpg.37322ad9944ca4522f96367c627ad5bf.jpg

From trump's convention speech.  Which I highly doubt GR Horn bothered to criticize.  But Nancy Pelosi's hair cut.

I’m guessing most of those people and their party don’t pontificate about how people should follow strict lockdown procedures. 

• Fuck You 1

Can’t wait until Herman Cain retweets that facebook post that only 9000 have died from covid and argues from the grave that he isn’t dead because of getting covid at a trump rally but he just happened to catch pneumonia. Maybe tucker Carlson can interview him on Fox from the grave.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m guessing most of those people and their party don’t pontificate about how people should follow strict lockdown procedures. 

So you're fine with people crowding in and not wearing masks.  Gotcha.  

(also with the president brazenly violating the Hatch Act in a perfect rules for thee but not for me).

15 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m not a no masker. I’m a minimal lockdowner. Nance’s party and state are not. 

But your party insisted on sending young kids to school in person.  Your party gave trillions to their friends and cronies while denying help to the average person.  Your party has actively been engaging in gaslighting on Covid-19 even being a threat at all, from the beginning.  Your party is against joining the world's effort to develop and distribute a vaccine. Your party denied that masks were even effective, continuing its long standing policy of being anti-science.  Edit:  Shit, that's not even going into the drinking bleach and HCQ bullshit.  

But somehow Nancy's haircut just counters all of that?  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 4

Pelosi’s district is masked outside haircuts only currently.

Her official twitter account just condemned the RNC for not wearing masks and practicing social distancing including the line that his message is “please put me ahead of your child...cause it’s better politics for me.”

There was a time that this board would have absolutely criticized that hypocrisy from an elected official, especially the SotH. I’m no Dotard, (but now fully expect y’all to rip me for expecting better than the absolute minimum from our political leaders.)

Just now, Llano Estacado said:

Her official twitter account just condemned the RNC for not wearing masks and practicing social distancing including the line that his message is “please put me ahead of your child...cause it’s better politics for me.”

There was a time that this board would have absolutely criticized that hypocrisy from an elected official, especially the SotH. I’m no Dotard, (but now fully expect y’all to rip me for expecting better than the absolute minimum from our political leaders.)

She was wrong to get a hair cut.  Period.  And I'm far more outraged but the GOP's endangering the lives of millions and cavalier disregard of 180,000 deaths, and their blatant hypocrisy, than I am by Pelosi's haircut.  Jared was fine with Covid, so long as deaths were in blue states to use against blue governors, while my little sister in NYC had Covid, and still has issues months later.  So, yeah, I don't want to hear about Pelosi's stupid haircut by people who cheered on that nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Llano Estacado said:

Can you give links to this info?  Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

She was wrong to get a hair cut.  Period.  And I'm far more outraged but the GOP's endangering the lives of millions and cavalier disregard of 180,000 deaths, and their blatant hypocrisy, than I am by Pelosi's haircut.  Jared was fine with Covid, so long as deaths were in blue states to use against blue governors, while my little sister in NYC had Covid, and still has issues months later.  So, yeah, I don't want to hear about Pelosi's stupid haircut by people who cheered on that nonsense.

Shit.  Forgot to mention that as well.  That's the problem right there.  Pelosi should be shamed.  Trump and company should be in fucking prison right now.

• Hook 'Em 6

Can you give links to this info?  Thanks in advance.

Here you go. First google hit. Outside only starting today according to color code policy.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/hair-salons-barbershops-reopen-for-outdoor-services-in-san-francisco/

If you want a link to her twitter, help yourself.

Shit.  Forgot to mention that as well.  That's the problem right there.  Pelosi should be shamed.  Trump and company should be in fucking prison right now.

So shame her and dunk on Trumptards too. Everyone skipped right to step 2 on this thread.