CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

On 9/7/2020 at 6:06 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

For some COVID spread news, it was reported here on Surly that the Sturgis, SD motorcycle rally had some cases travel across the US but no one will know for sure just how many. I think the latest was well over 200 potential links plus at least one confirmed fatality.

As mentioned above - the 10-day Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota in August, which drew more than 400,000 people, has now been linked to more than 250,000 coronavirus cases, according to a study by the IZA Institute of Labor Economics. The event will cost an estimated $12.2 billion in health-care costs.

Link to the study:

https://www.iza.org/publications/dp/13670/the-contagion-externality-of-a-superspreading-event-the-sturgis-motorcycle-rally-and-covid-19

39 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The event will cost an estimated $12.2 billion in health-care costs.

The number is not health care costs.  It's a number ($46k per COVID case) that they back in to using department of transportation value of a statistical life numbers.  It comes from this paper.  I looked it up cause I was curious as to how they got to that number. It's a very soft number that ranges from $11k for asymptomatic cases to $3MM for ventilated patients and doesn't really relate to direct healthcare costs or any real cost. 

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3680348

• Hook 'Em 1

May be nothing...may be something,,,

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/08/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-study-put-on-hold-due-to-suspected-adverse-reaction-in-participant-in-the-u-k/

AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine study put on hold due to suspected adverse reaction in participant in the U.K.

Alarge, Phase 3 study testing a Covid-19 vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford at dozens of sites across the U.S. has been put on hold due to a suspected serious adverse reaction in a participant in the United Kingdom.

A spokesperson for AstraZeneca, a front-runner in the race for a Covid-19 vaccine, said in a statement that the company’s “standard review process triggered a pause to vaccination to allow review of safety data.” 

It was not immediately clear who placed the hold on the trial, though it is possible it was placed voluntarily by AstraZeneca and not ordered by any regulatory agency. The nature of the adverse reaction and when it happened were also not immediately known, though the participant is expected to recover, according to an individual familiar with the matter. 

Thanks Ana. 

Interesting conclusions in the non-fatal valuations study:

"Our main points include that in the current pandemic economic policy decisions may be at least as important to society as medical policy decisions.

One need only examine the NBER Working paper series and the new journal, Covid Economics, to become convinced. Most of the literature to date has focused on the most serious of all medical outcomes, death. We contend that this has led policymakers to largely ignore the importance of non-fatal cases of infection and their implied economic consequences.

At a minimum this would involve changing the equation for the net economic benefit of interdicting the spread of Covid-19 to add the gains from preventing the various types of non-fatal infection cases net of any additional attendant prevention costs. Put simply, more of the details of the importance of preventing the spread of infection and the costs of doing so need to be fleshed out in public decisions

Although it is the case that so-called herd immunity achieved by people who get non-fatal infections is of value in possibly stemming the pandemic in the absence of an effective vaccine, and may be as low as about 40 percent (Briton, Ball, and Trapman 2020), and that people may suffer emotionally from a lack of varied human contact during a lockdown, this needs to be balanced against the losses people suffer from non-fatal cases of Covid-19.

We have attempted to demonstrate here that non-fatal infections from Covid-19 are just as important economically in the aggregate as the losses from fatal infections to the affected persons because of the much greater numbers involved, the incompletely appreciated seriousness of the non-fatal infections and the dread people suffer from not knowing whether their infection will become fatal ultimately. The near future is likely to bring as many as 75 million new non-fatal covid-19 cases by the end of 2020 with little in the way of policy other than protective masks and social distancing. Our calculations imply that policymakers must enlighten the public that non-fatal infections can be prevented and are as economically serious in the aggregate as ultimately fatal infections because of the large numbers of cases involved."

Do we have anyone in Federal leadership speaking about the costs of non-fatal infections of Covid-19? From my perspective, we appear to be rudderless. 

41 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/08/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-study-put-on-hold-due-to-suspected-adverse-reaction-in-participant-in-the-u-k/

AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine study put on hold due to suspected adverse reaction in participant in the U.K.

Alarge, Phase 3 study testing a Covid-19 vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford at dozens of sites across the U.S. has been put on hold due to a suspected serious adverse reaction in a participant in the United Kingdom.

A spokesperson for AstraZeneca, a front-runner in the race for a Covid-19 vaccine, said in a statement that the company’s “standard review process triggered a pause to vaccination to allow review of safety data.” 

It was not immediately clear who placed the hold on the trial, though it is possible it was placed voluntarily by AstraZeneca and not ordered by any regulatory agency. The nature of the adverse reaction and when it happened were also not immediately known, though the participant is expected to recover, according to an individual familiar with the matter. 

I'm guessing nothingburger.  Also interesting that this story is published the same day the safety pledge from the 9 key pharmas developing a vaxx is announced.  Could be a coincidence.  Or not.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm guessing nothingburger.  Also interesting that this story is published the same day the safety pledge from the 9 key pharmas developing a vaxx is announced.  Could be a coincidence.  Or not.

In what scenario is it not a coincidence

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

In what scenario is it not a coincidence

In the scenario that publicizing this today would re-enforce the transparency in the process that everyone should be demanding anyway, which is also consistent with the integrity messaging about the safety pledge.

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I would guess it is the Data Safety Monitoring Board (a group of independent experts who follow procedures specified in the protocol). That would be consistent with the pr language "standard review process." It is almost certainly not a regulatory agency, since they won't have access to data until it is submitted by the sponsor.

Also, I don't think this has anything to do with the pledge. In my 20+ years experience in the industry I can say that the people involved in this take the integrity very seriously. The people you gotta watch out for are the people who take the results and spin them later (commercial leaders, occasional medical directors). Oh, and more companies are fairly ethical than those that are not.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would guess it is the Data Safety Monitoring Board (a group of independent experts who follow procedures specified in the protocol). That would be consistent with the pr language "standard review process." It is almost certainly not a regulatory agency, since they won't have access to data until it is submitted by the sponsor.

Also, I don't think this has anything to do with the pledge. In my 20+ years experience in the industry I can say that the people involved in this take the integrity very seriously. The people you gotta watch out for are the people who take the results and spin them later (commercial leaders, occasional medical directors). Oh, and more companies are fairly ethical than those that are not.
Is this the vaccine Trump wants to release by November?

12 hours ago, PsychMike said:

Apparently it was a case of transverse myelitis.  I don't really know anything about that condition, but if the description below is accurate, that it can be triggered by viral infections, I can understand the concern in a trial of an adenovirus vector vaccine. The chances are that it is just coincidental, but if there is a plausible connection to the vaccine, best to pause the trial and sort it out. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/health/coronavirus-astrazeneca-vaccine-safety.html

A person familiar with the situation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that the participant who experienced the suspected adverse reaction had been enrolled in a Phase 2/3 trial based in the United Kingdom. The individual also said that a volunteer in the U.K. trial had received a diagnosis of transverse myelitis, an inflammatory syndrome that affects the spinal cord and is often sparked by viral infections. However, the timing of this diagnosis, and whether it was directly linked to AstraZeneca’s vaccine, is still unknown.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/bob-woodward-rage-book-trump-coronavirus/index.html

President Donald Trump admitted he knew weeks before the first confirmed US coronavirus death that the virus was dangerous, airborne, highly contagious and "more deadly than even your strenuous flus," and that he repeatedly played it down publicly, according to legendary journalist Bob Woodward in his new book "Rage."

"This is deadly stuff," Trump told Woodward on February 7.

In a series of interviews with Woodward, Trump revealed that he had a surprising level of detail about the threat of the virus earlier than previously known. "Pretty amazing," Trump told Woodward, adding that the coronavirus was maybe five times "more deadly" than the flu.

Trump's admissions are in stark contrast to his frequent public comments at the time insisting that the virus was "going to disappear" and "all work out fine."

The book, using Trump's own words, depicts a President who has betrayed the public trust and the most fundamental responsibilities of his office. In "Rage," Trump says the job of a president is "to keep our country safe." But in early February, Trump told Woodward he knew how deadly the virus was, and in March, admitted he kept that knowledge hidden from the public.

"I wanted to always play it down," Trump told Woodward on March 19, even as he had declared a national emergency over the virus days earlier. "I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

These recordings of Trump being interviewed by Bob Woodward are damning.  Woodward has achieved a career bookend to his work in taking down President Nixon via "Deep Throat".

Trump knew on FEBRUARY 7 that the virus was airborne, and that it was not only far more serious than the flu but that it was likely to cause great suffering in the American public.

He.  Did.  Nothing.  

He continued to downplay the severity of the virus for months, and in mid-March, revealed to Woodward that he knew it was a threat to people of all ages, something he STILL denies publicly.

This man needs to be taken from office today and imprisoned for the rest of his miserable fucking life.  There is no more defense.  None.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:
14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:
That's pretty damning.

We have seen that 3 word phrase written 100s of times now in the last 4 years. Another 3 word phrase has always followed it. Nothing fucking matters.

I think its curious that he calls the virus airborne.  Based on the context, it appears that he got this information in a conversation with Xi.  But most groups, including the WHO had pushed back on the airborne designation until only very recently, once faced with mounting evidence.  I don't want to read too much into that because I suspect Don doesn't know the distinction between airborne transmission and other forms of transmission, but it jumped out at me that that terms was being used in a conversation between Xi and Trump in early Feb. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Narcissism unbridled.

Yeah, same thought.  He knows Woodward is going to do another book, but he sits there and says "yeah, I knew it was airborne, kids at risk. I like downplaying the risk, prevents panic" knowing that he is going to get whacked with it in the news cycle. Which I guess only just feeds back into his narcissism. 

I think its curious that he calls the virus airborne.  Based on the context, it appears that he got this information in a conversation with Xi.  But most groups, including the WHO had pushed back on the airborne designation until only very recently, once faced with mounting evidence.  I don't want to read too much into that because I suspect Don doesn't know the distinction between airborne transmission and other forms of transmission, but it jumped out at me that that terms was being used in a conversation between Xi and Trump in early Feb. 
I think your suspicion is accurate. Trump doesn't know the difference. I don't think Xi told him anything different from the WHO in early February.

Strange to say this about a US President, but I imagine world leaders and his advisors usually try to explain things to him in the same way you would explain things to a child. When explaining covid and why we wear masks to my first grader, I did talk about air and breathing. That could be taken as meaning airborne. Talking about droplets and vapor and other things that can reside briefly in the air is too complex. Plus you have to be careful explaining microscopic things to avoid the "there are things living on me and in me!!!!" reaction from children.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

transverse myelitis

Interesting diagnosis. I assume there is a lesion in this patient not present on earlier films. I wonder how many fatal Covid cases show a lesion on in the cervical or thoracic spine? 

Thanks for the link. 

Edited by washparkhorn

45 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It’s more likely that our snoops relayed that info in a PDB.  Xi wouldn’t tell him something like that when the CCP was busy covering everything up. World leaders know trump is an idiot that can’t keep his mouth shut. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

That's pretty damning.

Has anyone seen some actual math done on what a reasonable response result (deaths/million) would have looked like for the USA?

The good old USA is cruising along at smooth 587 deaths /1MM (Worldometer)as of today but we have UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Belgium, and France   right there with us. But look at their the responses following initial high death rates.  All of those other countries named have had an initial spike (like us)and then kept daily and cumulative deaths very well under control (not like us)through policy or something even when they have had trouble controlling numbers of cases while we have highs and lows but never less than the ~550+ deaths/day along with daily case trouble.

Conversely, Germany, South Korea, Norway, Japan rates are very low from the beginning.

I am kind of cherry picking the data here and am leaving out China (ha) , Russia, Brazil and India for comparison purposes. But their numbers do not help our case as we are trying to compare ourselves to comparable 1st world countries.

Worldometer is projecting well in excess of 400,000 American deaths by the time Trump leaves office or completes his first term.  A complete analysis would breakdown the curves on a before and after initial wave and then compare, but just thumb nailing this thing,  I would conservatively say that this administration and its response  will be responsible for at least 200,000 deaths by Jan 21, 2020 if the Worldometer projections hold.  That figure is also not taking into account the head start we had(and squandered) over some if not all of those countries.

Kind of depressing when you think about it.

5 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I know, its a few posts above.  I've had to listen to it a few times.  Holy shit.  I like the sentiment attached to this one, especially when combined with the same group making a conscious decision to hope it only killed folks in blue dominated areas. 

Trump could have downplayed this all he wanted in speeches or whatever, but as long as there was some tactical response and plan that resulted in a reasonable result (see above math post), he would have had some cover.  But nope.

Not only did we blow our time and lag advantage at the beginning, we blew our reduced infection rate which was hard earned through shutdown, and then once we leveled that off, appear to be throwing that away.  Strike 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Trump could have downplayed this all he wanted in speeches or whatever, but as long as there was some tactical response and plan that resulted in a reasonable result (see above math post), he would have had some cover.  But nope.

Not only did we blow our time and lag advantage at the beginning, we blew our reduced infection rate which was hard earned through shutdown, and then once we leveled that off, appear to be throwing that away.  Strike 3.

The only reasoning I can think of for his down playing, doing nothing and not listening to experts is because he was scared of how it would affect his reelection chances. But the dumbass didn't/doesn't realize if he would have a strong response and our numbers were really good, he would have sailed his way into reelection. He had the opportunity to use the virus and, like everything else handed to him, he blew it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I have wondered about the airborne thing too.  We know that the Administration has massively undermined the CDC and FDA.  So shouldn't this be criminal?

13 minutes ago, sachick said:

The only reasoning I can think of for his down playing, doing nothing and not listening to experts is because he was scared of how it would affect his reelection chances. But the dumbass didn't/doesn't realize if he would have a strong response and our numbers were really good, he would have sailed his way into reelection. He had the opportunity to use the virus and, like everything else handed to him, he blew it. 

This with a strong assist from the American people.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

This with a strong assist from the American people.

Yes, but that assist really came from Trump supporters and not the American people as a whole.  Had Trump worn a mask early and encouraged others to wear masks early, nearly all of the Karens and freedom fry patriots starting shit in stores about "my rights" would have been wearing masks the whole time.  And we'd have this shit under control already.

Trump is unique in that his people would literally follow him off a cliff.  But they would also follow him to shelter.  He knows that and yet he led them off a cliff anyway, and they dragged the rest of us off it with them.

Given their willingness to die for him, even outside of covid, he really did lose a golden opportunity to actually be a uniter.  Imagine him going to a rally and saying, "Liberals aren't your enemy.  We are all Americans and its time to come together."  This isn't something that anyone else would have had the power to do.  Just Trump.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yes but Obama said if you wanted to keep your doctor you can.  Then the next year, when insurance companies added and lost providers to their networks, like they do every year, a few people could in fact not see their old doctor.  This is basically the same thing and proves its really both sides.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yes, but that assist really came from Trump supporters and not the American people as a whole.  Had Trump worn a mask early and encouraged others to wear masks early, nearly all of the Karens and freedom fry patriots starting shit in stores about "my rights" would have been wearing masks the whole time.  And we'd have this shit under control already.

Somebody just needed to pitch him on the fundraising that could be done by selling masks with Trump's name on them.

All Trump had to do was promote mask wearing, and couple the shut down of travel from China with a shutdown of travel from Europe and he would be spiking the football on everyone and coasting into election day. In 2020, orange face make up decides the next presidential election outcome. 

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

Yes but Obama said if you wanted to keep your doctor you can.  Then the next year, when insurance companies added and lost providers to their networks, like they do every year, a few people could in fact not see their old doctor.  This is basically the same thing and proves its really both sides.

Not both sides. Narrow network benefit designs. The only kind that can actually survive under the ACA. 

51 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Trump is unique in that his people would literally follow him off a cliff.  But they would also follow him to shelter.  He knows that and yet he led them off a cliff anyway, and they dragged the rest of us off it with them.

Given their willingness to die for him, even outside of covid, he really did lose a golden opportunity to actually be a uniter.  Imagine him going to a rally and saying, "Liberals aren't your enemy.  We are all Americans and its time to come together."  This isn't something that anyone else would have had the power to do.  Just Trump.

The assist also came from our general existing comorbidities (both sides) which were caused by poor diet, poor health care, and stupidity.

Honest question.  What is everybody seeing in their areas since school has started as far as spread?   In the north Dallas suburbs where I am, school has been going for a couple of weeks.  I kept my kid home to be virtual but so far there have seen only two reported cases at his high school of 2500 kids.  The whole district of 10 elementary, middle and high schools has about 10 confirmed cases total (including staff).  I figured we would see higher numbers so was I duped?  The wife is is pissed as she has seen all our neighbors send their kids to school along with go on vacations, hang out at parties, etc... and none of them have gotten sick so she is starting to question the truth about the virus which is driving me crazy.

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Honest question.  What is everybody seeing in their areas since school has started as far as spread?   In the north Dallas suburbs where I am, school has been going for a couple of weeks.  I kept my kid home to be virtual but so far there have seen only two reported cases at his high school of 2500 kids.  The whole district of 10 elementary, middle and high schools has about 10 confirmed cases total (including staff).  I figured we would see higher numbers so was I duped?  The wife is is pissed as she has seen all our neighbors send their kids to school along with go on vacations, hang out at parties, etc... and none of them have gotten sick so she is starting to question the truth about the virus which is driving me crazy.

Give it 4-6 weeks. Remember when all the articles came out 2 weeks after Florida fully re opened and everyone in right wing media was all “WhErE iS tHe ApOlOgY for DeSantis?” And then about a month later things went fucking haywire and hospitalizations and deaths followed. Well, now Texas, but with kids. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Our district has been in session for two and a half weeks. The cases are beginning to trickle in, but not in a super spreader type of growth thus far. I think the ratio of face to face to online is about 60 to 40, so that may be assisting. I am expecting it to climb slowly and then release like a mofo in another month when the parents begin to catch it. Each of the various campuses has cases and we already had community spread.

RISD just started in person classes Tuesday. Daughter teaches third grade (so that article from yesterday hits close to home). It’s way too early to draw any conclusions.