CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

So the same people protesting for states to re-open will be the same ones who support Republicans and Trump trying to cancel or postpone the election in November because it’s “not safe” amirite?

youre GIF

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah that and the fact that trump doesn’t want to test. 

Trump aside, we are doing 200-300k tests per day right now, and total out at ~5.5MM total tests. I mean, I know that you don't let things like reality interfere with your delusions, but there are actual numbers that we can talk about here. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Trump aside, we are doing 200-300k tests per day right now, and total out at ~5.5MM total tests. I mean, I know that you don't let things like reality interfere with your delusions, but there are actual numbers that we can talk about here. 

So is it your position that we are currently and have tested enough? Just trying to understand what you are claiming here. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

So is it your position that we are currently and have tested enough? Just trying to understand what you are claiming here. 

I think that we should be ramping testing as quickly as possible. We are still far behind what we should be doing but I don’t see a grand conspiracy to suppress testing when we are running more test than any other country and many countries combined. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

So the same people protesting for states to re-open will be the same ones who support Republicans and Trump trying to cancel or postpone the election in November because it’s “not safe” amirite?

remake bingo GIF

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think that we should be ramping testing as quickly as possible. We are still far behind what we should be doing but I don’t see a grand conspiracy to suppress testing when we are running more test than any other country and many countries combined. 

We have a larger population than most other countries and many other countries combined. Grand conspiracy? Eh. You could argue the Trump WH actively tried to keep numbers down early on, but regardless, it's certainly never been a priority.

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

How much more is needed? To sustain a resumption of activity, estimates range from 500,000 tests per day to five million per day, and beyond. The uncertainties are considerable; what is clear is that the current level is not enough.

15 minutes ago, deech said:

What is with all the Bill Gates shit?  Why is he getting pillaged?

Because anyone who approaches any current problem with thought, knowledge and reality automatically makes Trump look foolish so they have to be demonized.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

We have a larger population than most other countries and many other countries combined.

Well yes. This impacts our per capita numbers of course.  But testing capacity doesn’t scale by population it scales by manufacturing capacity and run up. We have conducted far more tests than any other country. I agree that the ramp up was delayed and we have more to do. But this notion that we are suppressing testing is unfounded. 

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I’m not saying there is a grand conspiracy. I’m saying the trump administration is incompetent for all of the obvious reasons and specifically when it comes to testing it is incompetent because trump himself doesn’t want it. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

Well yes. This impacts our per capita numbers of course.  But testing capacity doesn’t scale by population it scales by manufacturing capacity and run up. We have conducted far more tests than any other country. I agree that the ramp up was delayed and we have more to do. But this notion that we are suppressing testing is unfounded. 

Actively? No probably not. Doing anything about it? Also no. You could interpret that as suppression in a way, though that's semantics.

At this point it's pretty clear that we're going to open up without the testing capacity the public health community wants to see, and without accurate antibody testing. I hope the dice roll goes in our favor.

Just now, gmr548 said:

Actively? No probably not. Doing anything about it? Also no. You could interpret that as suppression in a way, though that's semantics.

At this point it's pretty clear that we're going to open up without the testing capacity the public health community wants to see, and without accurate antibody testing. I hope the dice roll goes in our favor.

I agree that any “opening up” is premature. 

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We are not “suppressing testing.” We have not and continue to not prioritize it. Surely you know the difference. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Has COVID-19 led to more deaths than the Vietnam War?

EDIT: The answer is no. But that will change this week. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war#Wars_ranked_by_total_number_of_U.S._military_deaths

I guess I’ve been in somewhat of a state of denial but I didn’t realize until this day, how much worse it is here than pretty much every where else. My outrage has turned into sadness. I guess the outrage will come again soon.

49 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

so is the federal govt responsible for the rise in testing numbers?  seems like trump put this on the states a couple weeks ago.

it's a fact that millions of tests were promised "by the end of the week" and that was 7-8 weeks ago.

it's a fact that widespread testing is key to start easing restrictions and opening up the country/economy.  so if he's going to tweet about liberating states, maybe he should start helping out with the testing instead of lying about how perfect they already are and were (in early march).

if i was a vindictive fuck like he is, with his resources, i would be like, hey mainstream media, you want fucking tests?  here (and shove 25mm tests into circulation).  he could've spent the back half of march doing that, maybe some early april.  but he didn't.  he instead spends his time telling everyone we don't need as many hospital beds/ventilators/tests.  why?  so that he can wait a few weeks and rewrite history to proclaim he was right? 

a lot of people think trump is evil.  turns out he's just lazy and stupid.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I guess I’ve been in somewhat of a state of denial but I didn’t realize until this day, how much worse it is here than pretty much every where else. My outrage has turned into sadness. I guess the outrage will come again soon.

well you have to understand that every other country is lying about their numbers.  we're the most transparent country.

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

So, tired of winning then? Remember that greatness requires sacrifice. 

8 minutes ago, softlynow said:

So, tired of winning then? Remember that greatness requires sacrifice. 

Yes I am so tired of the winning. Been tired of it for going on three years now.

We were lucky for three years that the worst thing that happened was Trump, Moscow Mitch and their republican cronies only looted the country for their own profit. I myself thought we were lucky that that was all that had happened. 

I didn’t predict a disaster as bad as this. I was most worried about Trump somehow bumbling into a nuclear war because he got pissed at someone. 

I guess the good news is that hasn’t happened, yet. 

1 minute ago, otisdog said:

My take is that he thinks China has under reported...and thinks 55K deaths is chickenfeed - was supposed to be soo much more!

It probably is underreported. So what. Its probably underreported here because we have so limited testing. 

The virus started there, they have more people, and we have way more death. 

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

You got any better numbers to provide? Do they have more than the 50k deaths we claim we do? 

Somebody else tell jdf how ridiculous citing chines numbers are in this discussion because his brain damage will not allow it to process if it comes from me. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

My brain hurts for you. Moreso my heart hurts that nobody else is willing to chime in and help you keep from embarrassing yourself. 

Ok. So you give up. Sall good man. 

I’m still gonna post your long desired articles for you. I’m just waiting until you stop embarrassing yourself tonight to get to that.  Might take awhile though. 

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Ok. So you give up. Sall good man. 

I’m still gonna post your long desired articles for you. I’m just waiting until you stop embarrassing yourself tonight to get to that.  Might take awhile though. 

Cheers. I be out in the backyard under the oaks drinking Pacificos waiting on it. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Is there not a positive relationship between population and manufacturing capacity?  Especially in the USA, where we were the manufacturing power of the world for decades?

Would be interesting to compare the domestic POC lab diagnostic manufacturing capacity on a per capital basis for US compared to say SK. I dont have a good idea of where to get those figures from but I have a pretty good inclination as to what they would show.