CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

10 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Maybe so, but southern Arkansas makes north Louisiana look like the Hamptons. I've never seen such sprawling methed-out squalor anywhere, and I spent a week in rural West Virginia.

If you gave North Louisiana to Arkansas it would improve both states. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Double dose of dumb coming up shortly.

Perhaps the Boomer Magas can crowd around their televisions and sing that little known flip side Platter's tune: Sand Gets In Your Eyes. Cause they are blinded by something, that's for certain.

I'm hoping the two are going to announce that the air show will be spraying yellow disinfectant instead of red, white, and blue smoke.

I’m pleasantly surprised with Governor MeeMaw’s continued caution.

UPDATE: Gov. Ivey announced the stay-at-home order will expire on April 30 at 5 p.m., and a “safer at home” order will take effect at that time. The “safer at home” order will expire on May 15.
Under the “safer at home” order, people are encouraged, but not ordered, to stay home and follow good sanitation practices.
Businesses may open but are subject to sanitation and social distancing guidelines. However, certain higher-risk businesses and activities are to remain closed.
All retail stores are allowed to open but must have a 50% occupancy rate and follow social distancing and sanitation rules.
Restaurants and breweries are still limited to take-out, curbside or delivery services.
Beaches may open, but no gatherings of 10 or more people are allowed. People must also maintain six feet of separation.
Elective medical procedures are allowed, and providers must follow rules and guidelines from public health officials. Hospitals and nursing homes must still restrict visitation.
The following will remain closed under the “safer at home” order:
Entertainment venues (Ie. Night clubs, theaters and bowling alleys)
Athletic facilities and activities (Ie. Fitness centers and commercial gyms)
Close contact service providers (Ie. Barber shops, hair salons and tattoo providers)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Fantastic use of money and great way to get people outside and congregating!

Total waste of money, but I mean I’m still gonna go to my garage rooftop to check em out when they fly over DFW. I can’t find the schedule of when they’ll be in the area. Anyone have a link?

25 minutes ago, Tuco said:

This article is certainly making the rounds, so let's break it down:

So, this is a common tactic that right wing media uses when attacking science.  To argue against evolution, they find guy with a doctorate who believes in intelligent design.  To argue against global warming, they find someone with a doctorate to argue that the world is getting colder.  It doesn't matter how much of outliers these people are.  It doesn't matter the number of professional organizations who wholly disagree with them.  The right wing media just needs to find one.  Congrats NYPost. 

Can you cite a professional organization that disagrees with staged reopening of the economy? 

25 minutes ago, Tuco said:

This is just an idiotic statement.  There was no "natural course of the outbreak" that didn't include some level of heightened isolation.  Not in NY, not in Wuhan, not in Italy.  We, as humans in the 21st century, understand the benefit of isolation in fighting an outbreak.  Anybody who follows this shit understands that, however bad it was as described the preceding paragraphs, it would have been worse without isolation. I don't know if the doctor is this stupid (and certainly, many doctors are stupid) or if he is meaning to say something different..  

His assessment was that the majority of his patient population is unable to practice distancing, thus he saw the bulk of what it would have been without it. I don’t know enough about the demographics of his community to know either way. 

28 minutes ago, Tuco said:

This is my biggest bitch about most of those who are advocating for "reopening the economy."  Yeah, there are things that should be re-opened.  Once there is enough PPE to handle elective surgeries, and enough ICU/ventilator space to deal with the small percentage of people who have complications from such surgeries, I think elective surgeries should be allowed. If there is enough PPE for general care providers to see patients, and have established procedures to minimize chances of transmissions, I think they should start seeing patients.  But that should not be confused with going out to eat, getting hair cuts, and going to movies.  In fact, I see those as being in competition with each other.  Because if a bunch of people stop social distancing, we will up additional COVID patients, which will reduce the PPE and scare people, and fewer people will go to their doctors and get important elective surgeries.  This is a question of priorities, not a binary decision between open and closed.

There is enough PPE for elective surgeries. It’s reassessed on a daily basis here. There are procedures to minimize transmission.

Your last sentence here is correct. Nothing is static about this. Things can be tweaked as needed. But maintaining the status quo in a lot of areas, like Texas, is unnecessary.  

35 minutes ago, Tuco said:

For fucks sake, that is not a random sample.  He is either being intentionally misleading with that stat, or he is proof that some doctors are morons.  (As are many engineers, plumbers, teachers, etc..) In NY state, we are still only at most at 4.2% of the population overall being tested.  (Probably much less than that, but I don't know how many people have received multiple tests.)  There are plenty of qualified people trying to estimate what percentage of the population are carrying the virus.  He isn't one of the qualified people trying to do this. He's just the guy the Post found.

Do you have a breakdown of antibody testing by borough? He’s stating that of those tested in Bronx, 43% were positive. 

37 minutes ago, Tuco said:

That last sentence is just unmitigated bullshit.  How does "getting back to work" help essential workers?  It doesn't.  

Yeah, I didn’t get that either. 

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Can you cite a professional organization that disagrees with staged reopening of the economy? 

His assessment was that the majority of his patient population is unable to practice distancing, thus he saw the bulk of what it would have been without it. I don’t know enough about the demographics of his community to know either way. 

There is enough PPE for elective surgeries. It’s reassessed on a daily basis here. There are procedures to minimize transmission.

Your last sentence here is correct. Nothing is static about this. Things can be tweaked as needed. But maintaining the status quo in a lot of areas, like Texas, is unnecessary.  

Do you have a breakdown of antibody testing by borough? He’s stating that of those tested in Bronx, 43% were positive. 

How are you a doctor but don't get how stupid this is?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You are stating things that he didn't.  He didn't state that the 43% of those receiving antibody tests in the Bronx indicated they were positive.  My guess from the context is that he was saying off the people tested in his clinic, 43% were positive.  (That is in-line with other areas that have outbreaks and limited testing.) I think antibody testing in NY overall was something like 8%, but even that is pretty iffy as these tests are still really new.  .  

You are stating that he was making an assessment of the population in his area.  Nevermind that it would have been extremely difficult to do so, while working the hours he indicated he was working, let's go with the assumption that is what he meant.  It's a profound misunderstanding of what social distancing accomplishes you think it doesn't help protect those who are still working because they are essential workers.  That's a big reason I am doing social distancing.  And is really trying to make the case that everyone in the Bronx is working an essential job?  Really?  Does that pass the smell test to you?   

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I’m pleasantly surprised with Governor MeeMaw’s continued caution.

She's a woman, so might actually listen to doctors.

She's an elderly cancer survivor, as no doubt are many of her friends, so she's not playing.

Her accent is real, so she's got nothing to prove compared to various carpetbagging opportunists.

Imagining the standard issue morons we could have had, we are quite lucky.

I cracked up when somebody asked her about a Birmingham salon that was going to open up early-- "I have not huuuuhd of that, but it's an oawaduh, a guvment oawaduh, with a 5 hundred dolluh faen, so if so they might wawnt to reconsiduh...."

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

https://www.apmreports.org/story/2020/04/23/covid-infected-attendee-ces-tech-conference

i said months ago that i was at this show, and i've openly wondered if i was exposed and/or have had this thing.

i was coughing all through january, which is fairly common due to seasonal allergies. now i think i must have had it and been a super spreader, without any knowledge.

CSB - went to UT with Michael, he was drum major in LHB and his girlfriend (wife now) was the first female drum major

I now return you to your virus

My take on her from a distance is that she's not stupid or mean, merely cynical and keenly aware of her surroundings. 

Ehhh, she has a history of pretty problematic racial comments and she’s fucking draconian about abortion.

I still dislike her a whole lot.

[mention]RDCanecutter [/mention] is probably right - being a elderly woman and a cancer survivor gives her a different perspective. That and she already won her primary so she can afford to irritate the aggro part of her base in order to seem reasonable to everyone else. She can’t go full Kemp-DeSantis for fear she might motivate our non-voters like the Moore/Jones race did.

32 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Ehhh, she has a history of pretty problematic racial comments and she’s fucking draconian about abortion.

I still dislike her a whole lot.

[mention]RDCanecutter [/mention] is probably right - being a elderly woman and a cancer survivor gives her a different perspective. That and she already won her primary so she can afford to irritate the aggro part of her base in order to seem reasonable to everyone else. She can’t go full Kemp-DeSantis for fear she might motivate our non-voters like the Moore/Jones race did.

You're probably right,  I guess for me problematic or regressive views on race and abortion were sort of priced in.  

https://gen.medium.com/how-do-you-reopen-a-state-that-never-closed-33eb43f63129?source=social---tw.gen

TL;DR.  Iowa is now the fastest growing rate of spread in the country for Covid.

On March 11, the day the World Health Organization declared the novel coronavirus a global pandemic, Iowa seemed to think it was unassailable. News stories had filtered into the state. We had our first confirmed case on March 8, but the virus itself felt distant. We had a shitshow of a caucus only a month before, and Super Tuesday was still a recent memory. The thing about living in the middle of the country is that so many things pass over you: Trendy apps don’t make it out until years later; Broadway shows skip us on tour; bands only come to town when they are still scrambling for relevance. Once the political candidates clear out, we go back to being confused with Idaho and Ohio. After all, we had only 54 cases of West Nile, so maybe we’d be okay.

But on March 11, the whole state had 14 confirmed cases, all tied to an Egyptian cruise along the Nile sponsored by a local bank. Our local leaders didn’t seem too worried. One county supervisor was on the road with the Bernie Sanders campaign; another left that day for a vacation with his family to New Zealand. Life in Iowa in mid-March felt like watching your toddler walk along the edge of the water. Maybe he’d fall and be okay, maybe he wouldn’t be okay, or maybe he wouldn’t fall.

Except we hadn’t. After the emergency declaration, the governor soft-pedaled, refusing to issue a stay-at-home order. For some people, life changed dramatically — my employer was proactive in making sure people worked from home — but others took longer. Collins Aerospace, a global company headquartered in Cedar Rapids with offices around the world, didn’t mandate its employees to work from home until a full week after an employee tested positive for the virus.

You can’t blame Iowans for being confused. Our governor issued an order stating that all gatherings with 10 or more people should be canceled but then allowed a horse auction in northeast Iowa to continue: It drew more than 600 people. Afterward, Reynolds issued an order that said only 10 people could be present at an auction — unless it’s for food animals, in which case it could have up to 25 attendees.

The bigger divide isn’t between Iowans but between states in the Midwest. Our neighbor Minnesota has over 2.4 million more residents than Iowa; as of April 25, that state has tested 58,987 residents and has nearly 2,000 fewer cases than Iowa, which has tested almost 23,000 fewer residents. The difference: Minnesota issued a stay-at-home order on March 27.

Minnesota also recently partnered with neighboring states, joining Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers, and Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker to form a regional coalition to respond to the pandemic. Iowa was left out.

What Reynolds has been up to instead is technocratic dealmaking and the willingness to cut deals with friends. While Minnesota partnered with the Mayo Clinic to test everyone in the state, Iowa chose to partner with a VC-funded tech startup out of Utah with no health care experience to test Iowans. The reason? Ashton Kutcher said it was a good idea. In lieu of issuing a stay-at-home order, Gov. Reynolds called the Cedar Rapids native and asked him to film a PSA for Iowans encouraging them to stay home. On the call, Kutcher told her about a Utah tech company that was trying to test people, because one of the company’s partners is a friend of Kutcher’s.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

While Minnesota partnered with the Mayo Clinic to test everyone in the state, Iowa chose to partner with a VC-funded tech startup out of Utah with no health care experience to test Iowans. The reason? Ashton Kutcher said it was a good idea

Why?  Why are we so stupid?  Why?