CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Umm, what "success stories of businesses" are they gonna point to?

The airline industry is dead.  The hospitality industry is dead.  The restaurant industry is dead.  Literally millions of small businesses are gone.

Fucking Threadgill's just closed after 87 years in Austin.

Success stories.

Just spin it, man.  Fox News will help.  Everything's fine.

Mypillow dude gonna be there hawking his shit.

There will be a farmer or two.

Some PPE manufacturer will be there saying things are great.

Along with a pharma CEO.

40 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

So Donald Trump dismantled the NSC's pandemic response outfit, and a couple of years later, over 50,000 Americans died...  In a pandemic...  And he made it worse by downplaying the danger and refusing to listen to doctors and scientists...  Because he was afraid of what the truth would do to his money...  And to his re-election chances...  So tens of thousands more Americans died, literally fucking died...

It should be impossible for anyone to defend him after this.  Forget everything else.  This one thing, by itself, should have made absolutely everyone turn on him.

But you're welcome to keep this up, of course, you army of Fox News parroting idiots.  You just don't get to call yourselves patriots ever again.

But her emails!

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, I’m starting to believe they weren’t lying, and they actually just really think people can live off $1,200 for 2.5 months and immediately start paying back rent.  

It’s hard to tell sometimes when they’re knowingly lying, or when their grifting has just become so internalized that they really believe their own bullshit.

I'm going to post Mnuchin's picture in the "most punchable faces thread."  Be right back.

26 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, this just shows me that they have absolutely no understanding about what is about to happen to the country. They really think everything is going to be back to normal when they snap their fingers.

22DC-MNUCHIN-diptych-jumbo.jpg?quality=9

44 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, I’m starting to believe they weren’t lying, and they actually just really think people can live off $1,200 for 2.5 months and immediately start paying back rent.  

It’s hard to tell sometimes when they’re knowingly lying, or when their grifting has just become so internalized that they really believe their own bullshit.

Isn't that what unemployment is for? It seems some people forget that.

A 57 page talking points memo for Republican officials got leaked.

https://static.politico.com/80/54/2f3219384e01833b0a0ddf95181c/corona-virus-big-book-4.17.20.pdf

And, boy howdy, I can smell the bullshittery through my phone.

5d4795b2439dfd7a495311d7dfdfeb3d.jpg
6def4c5cf649ba6057269381ffcd6b21.jpg
774c29f04762fd9eb3eaf57a61efd4f8.jpg
44b7109b99a6bd435f35d3d6d6c81806.jpg
98a860dbd3e5df868e26a9e311cdf6a2.jpg

Up is down, black is white.

I don’t know why I can still be shocked at the utter hypocrisy coming from Republicans.

But, please let’s make an issue of “corrupt” offspring using tax dollars to travel abroad.

And get ready to hear China pulled a “hit and run” - that little nugget is on every page.

Also, the memo takes great pains to make clear that they aren’t blaming Chinese people - just the Chinese government. Yet the only specific gatherings that are pointed out are a Chinese Lunar parade in NYC and a Chinatown gathering in San Francisco. No mention of officials promoting Mardi Gras or Spring Break or St. Patrick’s Day parades/parties.

How odd!

https://static.politico.com/80/54/2f3219384e01833b0a0ddf95181c/corona-virus-big-book-4.17.20.pdf

I don’t know why I can still be shocked at the utter hypocrisy coming from Republicans.

But, please let’s make an issue of “corrupt” offspring using tax dollars to travel abroad.

And get ready to hear China pulled a “hit and run” - that little nugget is on every page.

Also, the memo takes great pains to make clear that they aren’t blaming Chinese people - just the Chinese government. Yet the only specific gatherings that are pointed out are a Chinese Lunar parade in NYC and a Chinatown gathering in San Francisco. No mention of officials promoting Mardi Gras or Spring Break or St. Patrick’s Day parades/parties.

How odd!
We should print up BINGO cards and play on Zoom!

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

How odd!

All the while Putin led Russia is our bestest buddy.  I would guess he owes the Russian mafia more than he does the Chinese bankers.  In fact, I bet he has been told by Putin his Chinese debt will be covered if he can pull this off.   

9 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

OK can you two motherfuckers tickle each other's balls and have your little slapfights somewhere other than this thread?  Nobody gives a fuck. 

No shit. Fuck me, what a beatdown.

Just in case it didn't get posted, here's Gov. Cuomo putting a beatdown on Mitch McConnell:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

How odd!

Disappointed.  I did a word search, and Obama isn't even mentioned once.

So question to our Trump defenders...let's assume everything is this memo about China's culpability is 100% on the nose...how does that explain the fact that every other country in the world...including Italy and Spain, did a better job combating COVID-19 once it took root, than the wealthiest, most technologically advanced country in the world?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Would be interesting to compare the domestic POC lab diagnostic manufacturing capacity on a per capital basis for US compared to say SK. I dont have a good idea of where to get those figures from but I have a pretty good inclination as to what they would show. 

Best I could find, specific to COVID. 

Annotation-2020-04-27.png

How odd!

This reads a lot like the DT thread.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

WaPo getting Pompeo testy with the testing.

I don't see testing discussed in the WaPo article at all.  The content is potentially much more damning to the Trump administration than a cable about tests kits would be.  The cables suggest that the Trump administration was alerted in 2018 of serious problems at the biological facility in Wuhan, where they were studying coronavirus.  If the lab origin story pans out, that's pretty much a smoking gun in the hand of the State Department. 

On April 14, Post columnist Josh Rogin reported on the existence of the cables written in 2018, almost two years before the highly contagious virus erupted, warning of inadequate safety precautions at the lab. They were categorized as sensitive but unclassified. The first cable, a copy of which Rogin obtained, warned that the lab’s study of bat coronaviruses and the potential for human transmission risked a SARS-like pandemic.

In the early weeks of the coronavirus epidemic, the United States recorded an estimated 15,400 excess deaths, nearly two times as many as were publicly attributed to covid-19 at the time, according to an analysis of federal data conducted for The Washington Post by a research team led by the Yale School of Public Health.

The excess deaths — the number beyond what would normally be expected for that time of year — occurred during March and through April 4, a time when 8,128 coronavirus deaths were reported.

The excess deaths are not necessarily attributable directly to covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. They could include people who died because of the epidemic but not from the disease, such as those who were afraid to seek medical treatment for unrelated illnesses, as well as some number of deaths that are part of the ordinary variation in the death rate. The count is also affected by increases or decreases in other categories of deaths, such as suicides, homicides and motor vehicle accidents.

But in any pandemic, higher-than-normal mortality is a starting point for scientists seeking to understand the full impact of the disease.

The Yale analysis for the first time estimates excess deaths, both nationally and in each state, in those five weeks. Relying on data that the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) released Friday, the analysis paints a picture of unusually high mortality that will come into sharper view as more data becomes available.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/04/27/covid-19-death-toll-undercounted/

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't see testing discussed in the WaPo article at all.  The content is potentially much more damning to the Trump administration than a cable about tests kits would be.  The cables suggest that the Trump administration was alerted in 2018 of serious problems at the biological facility in Wuhan, where they were studying coronavirus.  If the lab origin story pans out, that's pretty much a smoking gun in the hand of the State Department. 

On April 14, Post columnist Josh Rogin reported on the existence of the cables written in 2018, almost two years before the highly contagious virus erupted, warning of inadequate safety precautions at the lab. They were categorized as sensitive but unclassified. The first cable, a copy of which Rogin obtained, warned that the lab’s study of bat coronaviruses and the potential for human transmission risked a SARS-like pandemic.

My lede was weak should have gone for more clarity; the lab safety is a separate issue (also important) and the primary focus of the article as you stated; the testing refers to if they can broaden or add to their FOIA (referring to the tweeter's comments) they will find out more about the SK issue with the test kits and why the kits  went to Europe instead of U.S.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Praise Jebus!

Now, how long can he hold out without his daily ration of TV time?

I give it till Thursday.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

you misspelled "Tuesday."

Actually you misspelled tonight.  Just announced.

45 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Is there a graphic of that somewhere?

i did a quick search and couldn't find it.  i'm not sure the exact one he used actually lives online anywhere.  it was basically showing the difference between how much states give vs how much they receive - citing that ny state has the highest delta between the two figures.

they showed the top 5 from each.  i believe the top 5 "givers" were ny, nj, conn, mass, and california.  the big takers were florida, kentucky, miss maybe, i can't remember.  i think you could easily find the two different charts and do the math.  otherwise, i'm sure those pressers are recorded somewhere online and it wasn't that long.

he knows it's become a bullshit gop talking point, and he was ready.  it's only a matter of time before a broke-ass red state governor opens his mouth and chimes in about needing the cash.

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i did a quick search and couldn't find it.  i'm not sure the exact one he used actually lives online anywhere.  it was basically showing the difference between how much states give vs how much they receive - citing that ny state has the highest delta between the two figures.

they showed the top 5 from each.  i believe the top 5 "givers" were ny, nj, conn, mass, and california.  the big takers were florida, kentucky, miss maybe, i can't remember.  i think you could easily find the two different charts and do the math.  otherwise, i'm sure those pressers are recorded somewhere online and it wasn't that long.

he knows it's become a bullshit gop talking point, and he was ready.  it's only a matter of time before a broke-ass red state governor opens his mouth and chimes in about needing the cash.

I think this is what you are looking for.  Balance of payments by state, both per capita and total with some nice visualizations. 

https://rockinst.org/issue-areas/fiscal-analysis/balance-of-payments-portal/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well shit, now Cuomo can't run for POTUS or VEEP because he won't be able to carry Kentucky after that tacit insult.  

To be fair, Joe Biden is going to be the last white male candidate for the the Democratic Party.... whether he wins or not.