CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Amazing in this day and age, many of our statehouses freely allow citizens to walk in brandishing any kind of firearm that they wish.

I understand why Team GOP has to put up the front that they do, but the fact that GOP legislatures have willingly allowed their statehouses to become a potential firing range while the US Capitol is not is just mind boggling.

Imagine being one of those "Men" in Michigan and totting around a rifle in the Capitol in Michigan, and you're from Lansing or Detroit.  And you think because of the weapon, that you're somehow still in charge of your fate despite that you're from Lansing or Detroit.  A people should know when they've been defeated.  

And on Mike Pence at Mayo.  Give the guy a break, his only medical-grade mask has a hole at the bottom, roughly the size of Trump's dick.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

42%.  The number is 42%.  It's not going to budge any more.

I'm still convincing myself that it's way lower than that.  I have to believe the polling is skewed toward the olds, since they're the only ones answering the phone.

15 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Amazing in this day and age, many of our statehouses freely allow white citizens to walk in brandishing any kind of firearm that they wish.

I understand why Team GOP has to put up the front that they do, but the fact that GOP legislatures have willingly allowed their statehouses to become a potential firing range while the US Capitol is not is just mind boggling.

fify & shit

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Like 3

I'm still convincing myself that it's way lower than that.  I have to believe the polling is skewed toward the olds, since they're the only ones answering the phone.
It's lower in that it was 46 percent of the electorate, which itself is just overt half of eligible voters. "Did not vote" always beats either POTUS candidate. Even approval polls, which is where the 42 percent number comes from, are often registered voters, implying some sense of bare minimum engagement.

Trump's approval rating dropped to like 37-38 percent in the early 2019 federal government shutdown. I'd imagine the core true believer number is 33-35 percent. There is a minority that will abandon him when they feel the consequences personally.

And of course, the whole group is a minority. He's never sniffed 50 percent outside of a brief rally around the flag that was muted relative to governors and local leaders. Vote.

Dallas reports highest confirmed positives yet today which looks terrible on its face in advance of easing restrictions tomorrow.    However, to Clay Jenkins credit, he indicated that epidemioligists are stating that the increase stems from frontline workers being allowed to get tested without symptoms.   I haven't agreed with everything he's said or done but he's been extremely transparent with data.  Honestly pretty impressed he highlighted the increase is primarily asymptomatic driven rather than taking an opportunity to dunk on Abbot for reopening while cases are spiking.   Dallas hospitalization data will be extremely interesting tomorrow to see if the spike last Tuesday becomes a trend.

• Like 2

So wear a mask around the robots but not around the sick people? Got it.  Yeah if you don’t think we’re living in an artificial simulation you’re out of your fucking mind. 

Everyone on our mayo clinic board call this morning indicated that they had an excruciatingly detailed conversation with Mike Pence’s advanced team.  Obviously they discuss everything from security to protocol to background on the higher ups he will be meeting with as well as a detailed itinerary including floorplans logistics and color narratives that he may wish to choose from before and after he speaks with hospital staff and patients.  And you guys think that the second most important person in the country was traveling to its largest hospital during a pandemic and facemasks did not come up?  For god sake‘s they showed us the fucking slide they sent to his security team that discussed facemasks.  Obviously most of the security and evacuation stuff is left classified as with any Destiination.  But we saw the fucking slide that said make sure his entire team is masked during the duration of their inside visit.  I would post it but Johnny sack would fucking explode

59 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Man, Michigan has really showed out during this mess.

34 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

fify & shit

All the crybabies carrying on about Antifa and how they are menacing patriots and one sees these clowns and yes, if they were POC, this would be blasted all over Fox about lawless Detroit thugs loose in Michigan's capitol. Watching the dialogues shift based on class and race is head-shaking until you look at the stats/percentages above for people who will tell themselves to believe anything.

• Like 1

So wear a mask around the robots but not around the sick people? Got it.  Yeah if you don’t think we’re living in an artificial simulation you’re out of your fucking mind. 

Everyone on our mayo clinic board call this morning indicated that they had an excruciatingly detailed conversation with Mike Pence’s advanced team.  Obviously they discuss everything from security to protocol to background on the higher ups he will be meeting with as well as a detailed itinerary including floorplans logistics and color narratives that he may wish to choose from before and after he speaks with hospital staff and patients.  And you guys think that the second most important person in the country was traveling to its largest hospital during a pandemic and facemasks did not come up?  For god sake‘s they showed us the fucking slide they sent to his security team that discussed facemasks.  Obviously most of the security and evacuation stuff is left classified as with any Destiination.  But we saw the fucking slide that said make sure his entire team is masked during the duration of their inside visit.  I would post it but Johnny sack would fucking explode

38 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

And yet here he is today at GM.

They’re so pathetic and transparent.

Well, to be fair, everyone knows about GM's strict mask policy; whereas most Americans don't even know why we have a clinic focused on mayonnaise. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

No one could have seen this coming:

"Republican-led states signal they could strip workers’ unemployment benefits if they don’t return to work, sparking fresh safety fears"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/30/republican-states-unemployment-benefits/

i saw an interview with a governor yesterday, i think iowa's, about some food processing plants and their reopening amidst outbreak concerns.  she said something similar, that once these plants are reopened officially, workers who choose their safety over their paycheck will fall under the "voluntarily quit" category, which will nullify them from any assistance.

good stuff.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i saw an interview with a governor yesterday, i think iowa's, about some food processing plants and their reopening amidst outbreak concerns.  she said something similar, that once these plants are reopened officially, workers who choose their safety over their paycheck will fall under the "voluntarily quit" category, which will nullify them from any assistance.

good stuff.

Oklahoma will be damned if the sacrifices start without us:

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/as-state-reopens-oklahoma-workforce-leaders-discuss-asking-for-end-to-federal-unemployment-payments/

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/state-encourages-businesses-to-report-workers-who-refuse-to-return-to-jobs/

1 minute ago, Stilicho said:

Sometimes you gotta take a man's boots before he can pull himself up by his bootstraps

• Like 5

What about child care? Some of the employees cannot return to work if their children have no place to go. The officials seem rather unaware of the difficulties of the working class actually being able to work for shitty wages and see that their children are cared for. Since some don't have sick pay, that just adds to the insult.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

What about child care? Some of the employees cannot return to work if their children have no place to go. The officials seem rather unaware of the difficulties of the working class actually being able to work for shitty wages and see that their children are cared for. Since some don't have sick pay, that just adds to the insult.

narrator: it wasn't about the people, it was never about the people for the republicans in charge. it was always about money and power and that was all.

• Like 7

It seems like the correct answer should be reducing the amount of unemployment you can get by some percentage every week if you chose to quit because of Covid related concerns. 

You basically give worker's more choice about staying home and you push back the likelihood of an early spike but you still put in place the eventual situation where poorer people have to make a really hard decision.

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’ve never seen any of those Antifa idiots carrying guns around.  

Neither have I, and in some of the cities they have merely shown up to counter protest against the Proud Boys and other far right groups who travel to Democratic majority cities to raise hell and force the cities to spend extra money on crowd control.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What the ever loving fuck is that.

I don't know, but as a parent I get an uncomfortable vibe with letting my children dance on stage before strangers to The Candy Man song when there are all sorts of cosplay Patriots running around. Maybe I'm out of the culture loop, but if the elementary cafeteria stage was good enough for a dance recital when my oldest was in lessons, things can't have changed that much in the last decade or so can they?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't know, but as a parent I get an uncomfortable vibe with letting my children dance on stage before strangers to The Candy Man song when there are all sorts of cosplay Patriots running around. Maybe I'm out of the culture loop, but if the elementary cafeteria stage was good enough for a dance recital when my oldest was in lessons, things can't have changed that much in the last decade or so can they?

Sure, but I think the black face mask overshadows that in this in video.