Get a washing machine to fly, my Jimmy could land it.

TheStoicPaisano

On Showtime right now.  Has anyone else ever noticed when Hanks gets off the pickup helicopter that the man posing as the captain of the Iwo Jima is Lovell himself?

tumblr_lq92s7bzCW1qlbb6zo1_500-1.png

I just caught that the very last time I watched it.  Was like finding a lost toy missing for years.

Edited by mulletpelini

Loved this movie, but it was a different experience for me. I knew from AF Basic Training that we had never lost an astronaut in space (at that point. On the ground and taking off - yes) so I knew they'd make it back. I just didn't know how they'd do it. Took a little of the suspense out of it.

25 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Loved this movie, but it was a different experience for me. I knew from AF Basic Training that we had never lost an astronaut in space (at that point. On the ground and taking off - yes) so I knew they'd make it back. I just didn't know how they'd do it. Took a little of the suspense out of it.

Is this post fucking serious?

Anyone who'd read any history on the space program knew they made it back alive.  The movie wasn't about the "if" -- it was about the "how" and the "who" that took care of that "if" in the first place.

For fuck's sake, did you not know the ship fucking sank the first time you started to watch "Titanic?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Love that line.   

Also....this discussion could go in the "stuff that makes you tear up" thread.

Seriously, that line captures everything there is to capture about the broad nature of heroism, going above and beyond for your brothers, and earning the admiration of your peers.  Hot shot astronaut, pocket protector engineer, didn't matter -- they were the brotherhood of the space program, they were all in it together, they had mutual admiration, and they gave everything they had to the mission and to their fellow team members.  It's just awesome.  It's my favorite part of the movie.

• Like 1

I loved The Longest Day, but it was a different experience for me. My grandfather was at Normandy, so I already knew D-Day was successful.

Ray was also a really good movie, but it was a different experience for me. I saw Ray Charles in concert, so I already knew he was blind.

The Darkest Hour and Dunkirk were both a different experience for me. I showed up to class that one day and learned about them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seriously, that line captures everything there is to capture about the broad nature of heroism, going above and beyond for your brothers, and earning the admiration of your peers.  Hot shot astronaut, pocket protector engineer, didn't matter -- they were the brotherhood of the space program, they were all in it together, they had mutual admiration, and they gave everything they had to the mission and to their fellow team members.  It's just awesome.  It's my favorite part of the movie.
That sums it up well... Everyone was important.

2 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

That sums it up well... Everyone was important.

Of course you'd think that...pocket protector dork.

I was at the Cape for a launch when they were filming and interviewing families during this time. This sums it up best.

From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the moon. And it's not a miracle, we just decided to go.

Some bad ass mfers. RIP everyone but most recently John young.

My uncle, Gerald Griffin was the flight director (mission control) for Apollo’s 12, 15, and 17.  He was supposed to lead the lunar landing of 13.  He ended up being on one of the teams that helped get them home.  He was also a technical advisor for the movie.  (Also advised on Contact and Deep Impact.)

unfortunately, he’s an Aggy.

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Exactly how I feel.  The pocket protector dork gets a huge "you're a bad ass" compliment from the hot shot.   

Is this post fucking serious?

Anyone who'd read any history on the space program knew they made it back alive.  The movie wasn't about the "if" -- it was about the "how" and the "who" that took care of that "if" in the first place.

For fuck's sake, did you not know the ship fucking sank the first time you started to watch "Titanic?"

The Titanic was much better known than Apollo 13. Nobody died on A13. Scary to the people involved, sure, but not really more than a footnote in history books. Unless you actually took a specialized course in the history of the space program you pretty much learned about Sputnik, first man in space, first American in space, first man on the moon, etc. Your average high school history class just hits the highlights. Even when the Challenger exploded my senior year we talked about it more - and watched it live - in Government class, not History.

I was 1 year old when Apollo 13 happened, and I lived in a small farm town in the Midwest until I was 16. So fuck you too.

The Titanic was much better known than Apollo 13. Nobody died on A13. Scary to the people involved, sure, but not really more than a footnote in history books. Unless you actually took a specialized course in the history of the space program you pretty much learned about Sputnik, first man in space, first American in space, first man on the moon, etc. Your average high school history class just hits the highlights. Even when the Challenger exploded my senior year we talked about it more - and watched it live - in Government class, not History. 
I was 1 year old when Apollo 13 happened, and I lived in a small farm town in the Midwest until I was 16. So fuck you too.

I know you think you’re making yourself look better here.

You should probably stop.

Son, there aint no draft no more