Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

went out to Target today to get stuff for Mrs Rojo's birthday tomorrow, and I swear to god old people must be trying to catch this shit. I'd say 80% of the people in the store were wearing masks, but 80% of those who weren't were over 60. They were also most likely not to observe a respectable distance. I had one old fucker walk right up next to me and lean into the area I was looking to grab something. He would have been encroaching on my personal space in normal times, much less in today's world. I turned and looked at him and said "I'll come back later" and walked off.  

Cough on their old asses

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I did notice that but was hoping for the entertaining and puzzling reason for why it is supposed to be a remedy.

Wouldn't the vinegar most likely be as a disinfectant?  It doesn't work with corona virus, but in general is a natural disinfectant.  People are probably buying it now that Lysol is nowhere to be found. And you make homemade hand sanitizer by mixing alcohol and aloe vera gel.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Since Abbott seems to use small-town Texas as the barometer for his decisions, I'm sure he will say his measures are working and he's sticking to his re-opening plan. He may pay some lip service to hot areas needing to increase their non-regulatory safety measures.

One area that I think Abbott will eventually fight against are private businesses requiring masks. Not today but I think he will say that people have the right to decide that for themselves and not businesses. It could be another month before he makes that argument. He has too many constituents that are refusing to wear masks and he will have to side with them at some point.

As someone who doesn’t want to be told by the government that I have to wear a mask and get fined I find this idea just awful. Masks are best practices and a business ought to be able to tel their employees or customers to wear a mask or get fucked if that’s their decision. 

I don’t think Abbott will do this. Maybe I’m naive, but that’s just callow and spineless lack of principal to anything resembling orthodox conservative positioning- which is that the government doesn’t have to do this because it violates rights but if it’s a good idea the private sector will take care of it 

really hope you are wrong. That would be terrible. 

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

White vinegar? I doubt that for sunburn, probably as a disinfectant if they were worried (hah) about cleaning but tbh I don't know much about home remedies for sunburn beyond the aloe or perhaps an oatmeal bath like one might do for poison ivy. I haven't had a sunburn in many years and if I go out in the sun now I have to wear coverings that make that Florida Grim Reaper guy look like a Chippendale's dancer.  Melanoma tends to make one attempt to avoid sunburns like the erm ...plague.

Maybe they’re getting into gardening and need vinegar for homemade pickles. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

As someone who doesn’t want to be told by the government that I have to wear a mask and get fined I find this idea just awful. Masks are best practices and a business ought to be able to tel their employees or customers to wear a mask or get fucked if that’s their decision.

Masks aren't "best practices" they're absolutely essential to keep from spreading respiratory viruses. In a society under pandemic conditions they're the tool for keeping unclean idiots from directly infecting responsible citizens. Your personal right to choose what you want to do should stop when your choice kills innocent people. 

• Like 2

Judge Jenkins posted some summary data. 4600 tests yesterday and 253 cases. 5% positive rate. That’s about double the amount of tests Dallas was doing a week or two ago

Covid hospitalizations peaked 3/28 at 185. As of 5/2 at 70. Last week 158. Week before that 159. So declining

• Like 4

went out to Target today to get stuff for Mrs Rojo's birthday tomorrow, and I swear to god old people must be trying to catch this shit. I'd say 80% of the people in the store were wearing masks, but 80% of those who weren't were over 60. They were also most likely not to observe a respectable distance. I had one old fucker walk right up next to me and lean into the area I was looking to grab something. He would have been encroaching on my personal space in normal times, much less in today's world. I turned and looked at him and said "I'll come back later" and walked off.  

The wife wanted tacos from Fuzzys for lunch so I volunteered to brave the elements and get it. Placed the order on the phone and took one step inside to see a half full restaurant of a mix of 30/40 something and elderly white people with zero masks, zero social distancing, and at least 4 people coughing simultaneously. Employees at the bar/counter had no masks. Backed right out. 

So sorry fuzzys for making you waste that food but get ahold of your shit because you're letting these idiots kill your idiot employees and themselves in your establishment. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Wanker Bob said:

Masks aren't "best practices" they're absolutely essential to keep from spreading respiratory viruses. In a society under pandemic conditions they're the tool for keeping unclean idiots from directly infecting responsible citizens. Your personal right to choose what you want to do should stop when your choice kills innocent people. 

You absolutely missed the main point I was making but ok. My point is I will be in open revolt if he tried to say businesses couldn’t require masks. That would be complete and utter horseshit.  

• Like 1

Judge Jenkins posted some summary data. 4600 tests yesterday and 253 cases. 5% positive rate. That’s about double the amount of tests Dallas was doing a week or two ago

Covid hospitalizations peaked 3/28 at 185. As of 5/2 at 70. Last week 158. Week before that 159. So declining

Misread. Looking again. Hospitalizations numbers are right

7 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

The wife wanted tacos from Fuzzys for lunch so I volunteered to brave the elements and get it. Placed the order on the phone and took one step inside to see a half full restaurant of a mix of 30/40 something and elderly white people with zero masks, zero social distancing, and at least 4 people coughing simultaneously. Employees at the bar/counter had no masks. Backed right out. 

So sorry fuzzys for making you waste that food but get ahold of your shit because you're letting these idiots kill your idiot employees and themselves in your establishment. 

Fucking Fuzzy's?  I mean, what?  I think I had that shit twice.  Terrible.  Terrible even for Fort Worth tacos.  I mean, just fucking awful.

What the fuck's wrong with you, man?

• Like 2

Weird double post. 

Edited by Wanker Bob

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

Fucking Fuzzy's?  I mean, what?  I think I had that shit twice.  Terrible.  Terrible even for Fort Worth tacos.  I mean, just fucking awful.

What the fuck's wrong with you, man?

I think you missed the second word in that post you quoted

Just now, Wanker Bob said:

So now I'm doubly flummoxed that you would want to reiterate your confession that you would eat at fucking Fuzzy's.  I mean, do you enjoy eating shit?  Are you one of those guys?

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I'm at the point where I'd prefer that we just say fuck it and go no holds barred open rather than go through the charade that we're following any kind of methodology here.  I don't think it will go well but at this point why bother pretending we're being careful in Texas?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

That's good news for Dallas.  Looks like El Paso is a hot spot for the state and has near or over 1000 hospitalizations.  Today, Abbott said hospitalizations looks flat but today we have 1,888 hospitalizations, the most since this started.

I don’t think Abbott will do this. Maybe I’m naive, but that’s just callow and spineless lack of principal to anything resembling orthodox conservative positioning

Not familiar with the Republican Party, are you?

15 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I'm at the point where I'd prefer that we just say fuck it and go no holds barred open rather than go through the charade that we're following any kind of methodology here.  I don't think it will go well but at this point why bother pretending we're being careful in Texas?

I think it's possible Abbott just opens everything up completely on May 18th only for May 25th to be when we really start getting hit hard by the infections that are taking place at this moment

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Not familiar with the Republican Party, are you?

I’m not a partisan. That’s not to say I’m apolitical because I believe in ideology and things, but if he does that I will shout that he’s a no good son of a bitch from the rooftops  with a mask on even.  Fair?  

That's good news for Dallas.  Looks like El Paso is a hot spot for the state and has near or over 1000 hospitalizations.  Today, Abbott said hospitalizations looks flat but today we have 1,888 hospitalizations, the most since this started.

El Paso has 1000 of the current 1888 hospitalizations for the state? Wtf

I saw that of the deaths in Texas over 400 of the 800ish were from long term care facilities.

59 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You absolutely missed the main point I was making but ok. My point is I will be in open revolt if he tried to say businesses couldn’t require masks. That would be complete and utter horseshit.  

How would you feel if businesses required their employees to not wear masks?  That is happening.

https://www.peoplenewspapers.com/2020/05/03/its-not-safe-for-anyone-restaurant-employees-say-bosses-forbid-face-masks/?fbclid=IwAR3rriyT6l1kNA5GK4KRz2z8H7EAuHhXZZhS8t6An1gr6Gz1N38fgIJ8CcI

Edited by conVINCEd

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Help me out with the numbers in that chart-

is that 1888 new hospitalizations or total right now?  If that’s total and 1000 of them are El PASO exactly how fat are they out there?

also, as a border city of some size any chance that some of those are people being shipped up here from Mexico? I don’t see how we have 60% of total hospitalizations in the state in a city that small by comparison to the size of the state?  Or is that 1888 new hospitalizations in the state of Texas and 1000 total El Paso hospitalizations? 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

I’m not a partisan. That’s not to say I’m apolitical because I believe in ideology and things, but if he does that I will shout that he’s a no good son of a bitch from the rooftops  with a mask on even.  Fair?  

Not about you. I was referring to your assertion that being spineless and not at all conservative would stop him from doing something. That's just not reality.

5 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I saw that of the deaths in Texas over 400 of the 800ish were from long term care facilities.

No, that isn't correct. Their county has about 1000 cases but their hospital region has 73 patients hospitalized.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

As of a week ago more Texans had died inside nursing homes than outside nursing homes. Not sure if that’s still the case. Apparently they’ve found a case in a Nursing home near where I live. Hoping for the best but preparing for bad news. 

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Not about you. I was referring to your assertion that being spineless and not at all conservative would stop him from doing something. That's just not reality.

I hope you are wrong. I’m prepared to believe I’m overly naive and you are right, but I will need to see it first. 

I'm looking at the dialed in data from the DHS website for the Trauma Service Area and this is what I see for El Paso:

73 lab confirmed COVID patients in hospital.

502 active cases for El Paso County

474 recovered cases

7531 tests

22 fatalities

1029 cases

11 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The republicans want some of you to die for their economy. Their pocketbook demands it.

Do you believe if OUR economy goes into Great Depression territory we won’t see people die?  Do you really believe anyone wants people to needlessly die?

Is it at all possible to believe that maybe the people who don’t agree with you 100% aren’t disagreeing with you bc of evil or nefarious reasons, but maybe have a different perspective?

id like to hope that the number of people in this country who would cheer for a bunch of deaths to benefit themselves could be counted in the single digit percentages of people that that are essentially sociopaths. 

I doubt I’ve met more than a handful of people in my life who would actually root for deaths to others to benefit themselves. 

• Like 3

I hope you are wrong. I’m prepared to believe I’m overly naive and you are right, but I will need to see it first. 

I mean he may or may not come down wherever it is you want on the mask thing. I have no idea. But it's already been proven several times.

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

How would you feel if businesses required their employees to not wear masks?  That is happening.

I’d want a list of them publicized and I’d assume those businesses wouldn’t exist in about a week. I feel like public pressure would kill them. I’d never frequent such a place that was that callous toward their employees. I guess if it was a strip club or Beauty pageant or something like that where looks and face were integral to the point of the thing I might understand it, but seriously if you make a decision that callous I believe you will pay dearly for it. Where is this that has that policy? 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Maybe they’re getting into gardening and need vinegar for homemade pickles. 

Well, that would be a reasonable reason for vinegar, but putting it on a sunburn sounds odd and one of the replies indicated that the essential oils fans were doing just that.

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Do you believe if OUR economy goes into Great Depression territory we won’t see people die?  Do you really believe anyone wants people to needlessly die?

Is it at all possible to believe that maybe the people who don’t agree with you 100% aren’t disagreeing with you bc of evil or nefarious reasons, but maybe have a different perspective?

id like to hope that the number of people in this country who would cheer for a bunch of deaths to benefit themselves could be counted in the single digit percentages of people that that are essentially sociopaths. 

I doubt I’ve met more than a handful of people in my life who would actually root for deaths to others to benefit themselves. 

You should try looking in the mirror.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Jimmy James is probably the dumbest poster on this sub forum. Bullneck a close second recently. Don’t waste your time. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d want a list of them publicized and I’d assume those businesses wouldn’t exist in about a week. I feel like public pressure would kill them. I’d never frequent such a place that was that callous toward their employees. I guess if it was a strip club or Beauty pageant or something like that where looks and face were integral to the point of the thing I might understand it, but seriously if you make a decision that callous I believe you will pay dearly for it. Where is this that has that policy? 

Read the article.  It’s a very popular high-end restaurant chain.   I used to frequent two of their Dallas locations.

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

You should try looking in the mirror.

I have no problem doing that every day. 

Actually, that’s not true. I’ve gone to counseling and prayed and studied and meditated and cried over the depravity in my soul, and been overjoyed and beyond happy at the idea I could be so flawed and fallen yet be totally loved by my family, friends, co workers, and most importantly God. But never in plumbing the deepest depths and darknesses of depravity in my souls did I ever come across a place where I believe that I would cheer over other people’s deaths to benefit myself. I don’t think I’m unique in my depravity and sinful nature. I also don’t think I’m unique in not wanting to see dead bodies stacked in ditches for my own fucking amusement or gain (and the gain is not even really a gain btw- as I can’t imagine anyone but a very small group actually gaining) and I think I would dare to say that the vast vast vast majority of Americans are not rooting for this in any way, shape or form. 

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I remember posting last week about this happening because restaurant owners will considerate it "unappetizing"

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Read the article.  It’s a very popular high-end restaurant chain.   I used to frequent two of their Dallas locations.

I’ve never heard of them. I would imagine this puts them out of business. I’m dubious about the efficacy of masks but I can’t fathom how it would harm anyone to wear one as a personal decision. Even if it’s prophylactic why mess with your employees like that?  Strange decision making there. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve never heard of them. I would imagine this puts them out of business. I’m dubious about the efficacy of masks but I can’t fathom how it would harm anyone to wear one as a personal decision. Even if it’s prophylactic why mess with your employees like that?  Strange decision making there. 

Very popular in TX and CA.  Think upscale Chili’s.  Houston’s is one of their restaurants if you are familiar with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Jenkins issued the shelter in place order on 3/29, so it seems that the measures are working in Dallas.  But, I don’t see a reason to keep levels from going back to 3/28 levels.  

So are we just going to yo-yo between shelter in place and “give me Lubby’s, or give me death” until a vaccine happens?

Edited by Chewy's Hairy Horn

48 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Yea, that was my mistake.  Typing fast.  Over 1000 cases.  They have like 75 hospitalizations..... My apologies.