Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Some families always seem to run errands together. I’ve never understood that mentality unless you’re out for 4 errands, one for each person.

csb. Was at the vet the other day. You waited outside in your car, and the vet techs came out to get your pet. Car next to me has 4 adults in it at 3pm on a Wednesday. Made me wonder why 3 of them didn’t stay home.  Odd. /Csb.

I absolutely loath shopping basically anywhere with my wife.  Our grocery store habits are not compatible at all.  

What is the board thinking on kids sports?  I am hearing rumbling about trying to squeeze in baseball in the summer, and already seeing chatter about the select soccer firing back up.  I am not sure that I love the idea of either at this point, but man I am going to have some seriously unhappy kids to deal with. 

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I absolutely loath shopping basically anywhere with my wife.  Our grocery store habits are not compatible at all.  

What is the board thinking on kids sports?  I am hearing rumbling about trying to squeeze in baseball in the summer, and already seeing chatter about the select soccer firing back up.  I am not sure that I love the idea of either at this point, but man I am going to have some seriously unhappy kids to deal with. 

I hear rumblings about soccer.  But my kid is out on soccer after this year, so I'm not paying much attention to that.

I've heard fuck-all about baseball.

7 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

It sure looks like Jimmy and Lobo and I all live in the same 'hood.

But I thought that Twin Liquors was closed.  At least, it looks dark every time I have driven by.

Believe me, that Twin Liquors is open. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

csb. Was at the vet the other day. You waited outside in your car, and the vet techs came out to get your pet. Car next to me has 4 adults in it at 3pm on a Wednesday. Made me wonder why 3 of them didn’t stay home.  Odd. /Csb.

Maybe they were having their dog put down and everyone wanted to say goodbye.  Didn’t think about that did you, you heartless bastard.  Man, some people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

The two on 2244 are both open, I think.  Actually I haven't been inside the bigger one by HEB in quite awhile, so dunno for sure.  I usually hit up the little one by Walgreen's.  

I know they're all doing truncated hours so maybe you drive by too early/too late?  

Their selection is really small and I know all stores kick up to the same owners, but I like to support the little one because everything in that strip center is dying, and the goofy window display and squirrel pie dispenser outside make me chuckle.  The property manager said they had somebody lined up to take over the Popeye's space but they fell through due to Covid-19.  ,

And pacman---no need to go to Twin Liquor for my boxed wine girl's night supply.  7-11 has a fine selection.

Actually, another plug for a struggling business in the area-----that Thom's Market on Spyglass by tacodeli has a really good wine selection for a convenience store.  And good prices, too. Only about $1/bottle more than the same thing at Twin's.  Give them a shot if you get a chance.  

Thom’s market is good, especially for a convenience store. I think they have one on Barton Springs road that used to be one of the crappiest convenience stores in town until Austin got rich. Times have changed. 

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i will say, it appears that managers are given a lot of local control, given the vast different in how the triangle of hebs around me handle entry and exit. my normal hood heb at slaughter and manchaca 100% masks, they hand you a wipe for your cart, and off you go. might need to wait in line. brodie/wm cannon heb has people spray sanitizing carts as they come in, as does the bougie circle c heb, except there it's a full on metal cannister sprayer instead of just spray from a bottle.

One of HEB’s strengths has it has always given its managers local control. That’s why the HEB in Westlake is so much different than the one in central McAllen. 

Not sure its a good idea on this subject though. 

Wife reports vast majority masked at grocery store. I wouldn't know, I don't go there.

My last time beaming down to the planet's surface was a week ago to mail a box of widgets. Had to have a mask to get in, which keeps the Freedom Fries types away. Guess they are all paying double at FedEx. Postal clerk gave me extra gloves. We go back a ways.

Next door neighbor had a birthday. I know this because his friends drove by in a convoy, maintaining distance, shouting Happy Birthday to him. Then their IQs dropped, they parked, and mobbed the yard. Hugs. Somebody must have had a synapse fire, because then they all spaced back out 6 feet, and by "6 feet", I mean maybe 3 1/2 feet. I just stayed up in my house, muttering.

The next restaurant I buy even so much as take-out from will be the one that sent me food when I was last deathly ill. As in, Not A Fucking One. Those fuckers are breathing plague on everything they cook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Wife reports vast majority masked at grocery store. I wouldn't know, I don't go there.

My last time beaming down to the planet's surface was a week ago to mail a box of widgets. Had to have a mask to get in, which keeps the Freedom Fries types away. Guess they are all paying double at FedEx. Postal clerk gave me extra gloves. We go back a ways.

Next door neighbor had a birthday. I know this because his friends drove by in a convoy, maintaining distance, shouting Happy Birthday to him. Then their IQs dropped, they parked, and mobbed the yard. Hugs. Somebody must have had a synapse fire, because then they all spaced back out 6 feet, and by "6 feet", I mean maybe 3 1/2 feet. I just stayed up in my house, muttering.

The next restaurant I buy even so much as take-out from will be the one that sent me food when I was last deathly ill. As in, Not A Fucking One. Those fuckers are breathing plague on everything they cook.

I had to do a fed drop off today. Not one person working there was wearing a mask. I dropped my shit off and got the fuck out of there. Seems like very few businesses are taking it serious. 

Well fuck it, at least the lightening bugs are out and about this year. 

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

It sure is.  And the manager there is a good dude.

Is that the guy with the really big beard?  

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I had to do a fed drop off today. Not one person working there was wearing a mask. I dropped my shit off and got the fuck out of there. Seems like very few businesses are taking it serious. 

Well fuck it, at least the lightening bugs are out and about this year. 

Damn, do I miss lightning bugs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i'm fairly certain heb won't let you in without a mask. hence the security guards and the employees at the door handing out wipes.

i think i've noted this in this thread or maybe the other, but damn, it really seems hispanics aren't doing the whole mask thing an a much higher %. evidence is anecdotal, but is related to seeing workers both inside and outside.

I was at 7-11 and a hispanic construction worker tried to refill his 5 gallon cooler of a thermos from the fountain machine.  He was told that wasn't allowed.  He fucking removed his mask to better argue the point.  The employee basically told him it wasn't fucking happening and to quit crying. When he realized he wasn't going to be allowed to refill the thermos he started walking out.  At the door another customer is walking in. They obviously recognize each other, shake hands and hug.  He was one of the 6 dudes who arrived in a F250 crew cab.  I don't know if it was because he was hispanic or in construction but he clearly didn't give a shit about distancing or masks.

Guest Lobo

He was probably one of those pre-diabetic flag-waving protesters out in the last couple of weeks, getting in cops' faces at myriad capitol buildings around the country demanding to get their big gulps and movie theater tickets whilst packing an assault rifle.  I'm sure these carnival cruise ships leaving port in August fueled by stupidity and stubborness will be chalk full of Hispanics as they usually are.  Stupid old white people are gonna cause this thing to rip through America, not construction workers.

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'd like to start responsibly peppering in getting takeout as usual, but getting a couple drinks at the bar while I wait provided I stay a few stools away from other patrons.  Would the protocol be to keep your mask on between sips?  But yeah, eating a full  meal at the bar doesn't sound at all appealing to me right now.  

Nah, if it's dead and you don't have anyone but the bartender within 10 or so ft of you just chill and drink normally except don't touch anything to your mouth except the glass and hope the bartender who served you the glass is clean

On 5/3/2020 at 6:43 PM, mdmost said:

60 Minutes doing a story on rural Texas hospitals that are dying off during the pandemic and how things are not going well in those areas because people don't have insurance due to being poor.  Low Medicare reimbursement rates. Having to reuse PPE. 

19 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Same reason it’s happened here in Alabama and in the following states in yellow - refusal to expand to expand Medicaid in the wake of Obamacare as a purely political “fuck you” to Obama.

That has hurt small rural hospitals disproportionately and resulted in many of them closing up shop because they relied heavily on payments from Medicaid.

2132904a0adca2da8666fcf812d32eed.jpg

The other part of this equation is declining O&G prices driving down the property taxes both hospital districts and Emergency Services Districts live on.   The income stream for our VFD/EMS had already dropped by half last year.  Since they run a year in arrears, the future looks pretty grim.

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Maybe they were having their dog put down and everyone wanted to say goodbye.  Didn’t think about that did you, you heartless bastard.  Man, some people.

Yeah, and he calls himself a Nice Guy, too.  Smdh.

From what I've seen, my area of Dallas, central, residential, affluent, is still sticking by the stay home guidelines.  A few more people in the parks, a little more traffic than in past weeks.  The grocery and convenience stores are masked and pretty stringent six feet with things on the floor, sneeze shields, etc.

The further north you go, toward and into Collin County, the worse it gets.  More traffic and it's never been down to the levels of central Dallas.  Part of it is probably politics, part of it is probably people going to work at both essential and non-essential places because there are more workplaces in those areas.

The couple of times I have ventured south, it's been pretty moderate despite likely having a lot of people economically coerced into working.

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

He was probably one of those pre-diabetic flag-waving protesters out in the last couple of weeks, getting in cops' faces at myriad capitol buildings around the country demanding to get their big gulps and movie theater tickets whilst packing an assault rifle.  I'm sure these carnival cruise ships leaving port in August fueled by stupidity and stubborness will be chalk full of Hispanics as they usually are.  Stupid old white people are gonna cause this thing to rip through America, not construction workers.

Lucky that the Hispanics are immune.

19 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Same reason it’s happened here in Alabama and in the following states in yellow - refusal to expand to expand Medicaid in the wake of Obamacare as a purely political “fuck you” to Obama.

That has hurt small rural hospitals disproportionately and resulted in many of them closing up shop because they relied heavily on payments from Medicaid.

2132904a0adca2da8666fcf812d32eed.jpg

These are the stories we need from the media, ro point out these self-inflicted wounds.

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Question for you Texas peeps - it seems like a lot of you are now making grocery runs. So have you stopped using Whole Foods delivery and Instacart altogether? 

Shortly after the shit hit the fan, wait times for delivery or curbside pickup were in excess of a week, more like 10 days.  At every store.  I didn't mess with Instacart, but store services.

So I have been a daredevil and made a once every 7-8-9 day run.  Probably after the first one, could have switched to delivery, but didn't.  

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Shortly after the shit hit the fan, wait times for delivery or curbside pickup were in excess of a week, more like 10 days.  At every store.  I didn't mess with Instacart, but store services.

So I have been a daredevil and made a once every 7-8-9 day run.  Probably after the first one, could have switched to delivery, but didn't.  

You are a brave man. Haven't been to the grocery store since mid-March. Instacart and Whole Foods both have hired more shoppers so I've been having more success finding delivery times. Curbside is more difficult though - always seems booked up days. 

I just did our store instacart order that will deliver at 10am tomorrow. Past few weeks have been fine. A few substitute items and a couple of refunds. I’ve been saying for years how much I dislike going to the grocery store. Now I don’t have to. Kroger keeps track of your past purchases so I just go in and rebuy previous items. The delivery and tip are worth it. Grocery stores were hard enough to get though before you had to account for 6 feet of distance between you and the next person.

Edited by mdmost

If you are out and about in Midland, you would barely know that anything has changed since last year other than the increased number of realtor signs on every other house. Less than 10% of the customers at HEB wearing masks, almost zero attention to social distancing except where it is enforced in the checkout lines. Huge groups of families hanging out by the duck pond last night, getting food from a food truck, nary a mask to be found. We've had very few cases so far, most of which are associated with a bad outbreak at one nursing home, and people basically believe it can't happen here. Hope they're right.
To be fair, most people already avoided Midland like the plague, and now there's an actual plague, so they could be on to sonething...
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

You are a brave man. Haven't been to the grocery store since mid-March. Instacart and Whole Foods both have hired more shoppers so I've been having more success finding delivery times. Curbside is more difficult though - always seems booked up days. 

I'm not there any longer than 20 minutes, much of which is wait in line time.  Wash hands first thing back, put shit up, wash em again.  Mask.  Avoid people, move fast.

• Like 1

I went to both HEB and WF 365 yesterday. HEB 90% had masks and 365 required one and supplied one if you didn't have one. On Saturday the house down the street with an LSU flag had a 50 person crawfish party going in the driveway.
That is so fucking on-brand.

Swamp aggy
i generally agree with this, and i'm happy with the pushback, though it took him a fucking week to come out with this. should have been a no-brainer. "ignore the governor, it's safer to continue SIP right now"
Yeah, I'm still disappointed the city/county didn't tell the state to pound sand sooner. Psychologically things have changed for people already, and waiting until now throws business for yet another loop.

Seriously, unless the circumstance simply do not permit, one person per household should be doing the shopping. 
We did a virtual happy hour and I called a couple friends out on this when they brought it up. These two are both plenty smart enough to know that. People are really good at finding excuses for themselves.

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I go out once a week.  I go to 3 places.  The grocery store,  the liquor store, and I have a bad habit, so I have arranged for the local manager of the convenience store to have my needed supply of tobacco products on hand on the day I go out.  I know him, I call him when I get there, and he brings it out to me.  The amount I need on a weekly basis works out close enough that I can just hand him a nice round number in cash and it leaves a little for his trouble.  I may get in the car and drive around every now and then, but that’s just to clear my head.

• Like 1

Question for you Texas peeps - it seems like a lot of you are now making grocery runs. So have you stopped using Whole Foods delivery and Instacart altogether? 

Instacart is a really shitty company and the wait times/stocking for delivery or curbside at the grocery stores are crazy. I did get delivery from Randalls, which was the only store that could deliver within a week, while I was self quarantined. Dude left them at the wrong apartment, and of course a little old lady lived there. I felt so bad she got roped in.

50 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Nah, if it's dead and you don't have anyone but the bartender within 10 or so ft of you just chill and drink normally except don't touch anything to your mouth except the glass and hope the bartender who served you the glass is clean

So pretty much college, but a different type of clean.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
29 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I go out once a week.  I go to 3 places.  The grocery store,  the liquor store, and I have a bad habit, so I have arranged for the local manager of the convenience store to have my needed supply of tobacco products on hand on the day I go out.  I know him, I call him when I get there, and he brings it out to me.  The amount I need on a weekly basis works out close enough that I can just hand him a nice round number in cash and it leaves a little for his trouble.  I may get in the car and drive around every now and then, but that’s just to clear my head.

Yeah, driving around somehow got a bad rap.  I even go park at my 'hood Trader Joe's (far away from the entrance) to make work calls just to get out of the loud house.  Driving around is fine, getting out of your car is fine in open air, even going into establishments can be okay.  Just stay the fuck away from one another, wear a fucking mask, and then wash your hands.  But nope, the Constitution.  Amazing to me how many people are now scholars on the document but don't know how to wash their hands.  

I guess they think neither the Constitution nor the Covid-19 Virus are living, breathing things. 

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Curbside pickup at H-E-B FTW. We had to go into Costco to the pharmacy 6 weeks ago but that was our only stop inside a store in the last 10 weeks. Everything else we’ve gotten either from curbside at H-E-B or central market, Instacart, or delivered from places like Farm to Table for produce and eggs. Did have to make a Home Depot run today but did curbside for that as well. Dog food delivered from Healthy Pet and the rare takeout situation from doordash. All other sundries from Amazon or direct from supplier.  Turns out I’d been really procrastinating about finding a solution to my dislike of shopping and now this became the impetus for me to finally find some solutions.  

8 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Curbside pickup at H-E-B FTW. We had to go into Costco to the pharmacy 6 weeks ago but that was our only stop inside a store in the last 10 weeks. Everything else we’ve gotten either from curbside at H-E-B or central market, Instacart, or delivered from places like Farm to Table for produce and eggs. Did have to make a Home Depot run today but did curbside for that as well. Dog food delivered from Healthy Pet and the rare takeout situation from doordash. All other sundries from Amazon or direct from supplier.  Turns out I’d been really procrastinating about finding a solution to my dislike of shopping and now this became the impetus for me to finally find some solutions.  

Nice, looks like some HEB locations are better staffed with shoppers for curbside than others. The Chicagoland grocery stores are still lacking. And Trader Joe's has no plans for it.

My ace in the hole has been Target delivery - not great produce but if I place an order before 645a I can usually get a slot for the next day. 

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I hear rumblings about soccer.  But my kid is out on soccer after this year, so I'm not paying much attention to that.

I've heard fuck-all about baseball.

They cancelled our swim summer season Friday. Softball had been trying to sneak in, but didn’t make it. I was hoping, if they could do it safely, softball might come back. But that just isn’t reality. 

My oldest’s team was killing it.  Not just doing good, I’m talking beating teams by 18-20 runs in several of the games.  Last year she was on a 1 win type team, so it was cool for her to get to experience the other side.  I’m talking ‘05 horns shit here, except in 8U.  Oh well. Y’all stay safe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

They cancelled our swim summer season Friday. Softball had been trying to sneak in, but didn’t make it. I was hoping, if they could do it safely, softball might come back. But that just isn’t reality. 

My oldest’s team was killing it.  Not just doing good, I’m talking beating teams by 18-20 runs in several of the games.  Last year she was on a 1 win type team, so it was cool for her to get to experience the other side.  I’m talking ‘05 horns shit here, except in 8U.  Oh well. Y’all stay safe. 

That sucks for her man. Hopefully they're more like the 04 team and next year "they'll be baaaack".

• Like 1

Just now, Grade of D as in David said:

That sucks for her man. Hopefully they're more like the 04 team and next year "they'll be baaaack".

Yeah. She handled last year really well, so it was good to get a taste of both sides. But next year, we’ll see. She’s  7, and the Young’s, Griffins, and Huff are 8 and will probably still be killing it in 10U.  But without a doubt, better safe than sorry.  They finished unbeaten and differential was something astronomical. And she leaned a lot being around all those girls. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

They don’t have the run rule in little leagues anymore?

Yeah. 7 or 8 runs depending on how the coaches agree.  We were good for several double plays a game, and I saw a triple once when they were slacking a bit and let the bases fill up. But they play for 75 mins, so if you can get your 21-24 runs in 3 innings, you just had to field well. Being one of the only teams that third can reach first is a big advantage at that age. Most kids just toss it to the “circle” which kills the play.  Not this group. Last year, we threw to circle ALOT.