Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

What is the rationale for this, I wonder?  Putting an acid (although weak) on one's skin after a burn? That's like putting an empty pumpkin on the head for a snakebite. Not seeing the thought process here.

No clue. I learned of its supposed status as a miracle elixir a few years ago from my nutcase anti-vax sister. I stupidly let myself get sunburned at a family get-together on the lake a few years ago, and she literally tried to spritz me with a spray bottle full of diluted apple cider vinegar . When I got home I looked it up to see what the fuck she was on about, and there was link after link directing me to "natural" remedy sites touting vinegar as a miracle cure for pretty much everything, but especially sunburns for some reason.

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

As someone who doesn’t want to be told by the government that I have to wear a mask and get fined I find this idea just awful. Masks are best practices and a business ought to be able to tel their employees or customers to wear a mask or get fucked if that’s their decision. 

I don’t think Abbott will do this. Maybe I’m naive, but that’s just callow and spineless lack of principal to anything resembling orthodox conservative positioning- which is that the government doesn’t have to do this because it violates rights but if it’s a good idea the private sector will take care of it 

really hope you are wrong. That would be terrible. 

Lol. 

on the other hand, that was me 10 years ago. Shame.

• Like 1

Questions from today's briefing. I was dividing my attention between work and kid, so please tell me if there's something I missed/got wrong

1. The reason Abbott gave to enter phase one of reopening was a decline in new cases. New cases have been trending up, but that's to be expected because of increased testing. So that's no longer the preferred indicator that could stop reopening. Did I understand that correctly?

2. The new preferred indicator is hospitalizations and keeping that number manageable so the system isn't overwhelmed. Did I understand that correctly?

3. Did he give any specific way that was measured?

4. Did he give any specific number or point that would indicate that the system was in danger of being overwhelmed?

4 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Questions from today's briefing. I was dividing my attention between work and kid, so please tell me if there's something I missed/got wrong

1. The reason Abbott gave to enter phase one of reopening was a decline in new cases. New cases have been trending up, but that's to be expected because of increased testing. So that's no longer the preferred indicator that could stop reopening. Did I understand that correctly?

2. The new preferred indicator is hospitalizations and keeping that number manageable so the system isn't overwhelmed. Did I understand that correctly?

4. Did he give any specific number or point that would indicate that the system was in danger of being overwhelmed?

1. Is the only one I think I can tackle. The percentage of positive tests is declining despite increased testing. That’s a really clear indication new cases are going down.

• Like 1

1. Is the only one I think I can tackle. The percentage of positive tests is declining despite increased testing. That’s a really clear indication new cases are going down.

Was a decline in the percentage of positive tests the metric that was used before the initial reopening last Friday? Or was it 14 days of declining new cases? Did I have it wrong before?

1 hour ago, tchookem said:

Ok I’ll try.

2 - I didn’t hear it but that’s always been the goal. This was going to run it’s course in the US, despite what we did and particularly because it is the U S. Testing more in March leaves us pretty much where we are today, but with the benefit of more data going forward. That’s huge.

3- it’s looking backwards but they have the numbers. We are in good shape FOR NOW.

4-  That’s sort of the whole problem. Bad data, or almost no data, gives you bad decisions. There’s also no indication that Texas or anywhere right now is in danger of being overwhelmed. If they see that coming it’s likely too late.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

White vinegar? I doubt that for sunburn, probably as a disinfectant if they were worried (hah) about cleaning but tbh I don't know much about home remedies for sunburn beyond the aloe or perhaps an oatmeal bath like one might do for poison ivy. I haven't had a sunburn in many years and if I go out in the sun now I have to wear coverings that make that Florida Grim Reaper guy look like a Chippendale's dancer.  Melanoma tends to make one attempt to avoid sunburns like the erm ...plague.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

We used to pee on a sunburn. Oh wait that was Portuguese jellyfish things.

White vinegar has eased bad sunburn for me for years.   Mainly took the sting out of it.  Don't know the science, but it worked pretty well.  

Used Adolf's meat tenderizer on man o' war or jellyfish and wasp stings.     

• Like 1

Just double checked to make sure I was in CR which I’ve said I would always avoid. I lied I guess but I can go forward -

we need a treatment or vaccine. That’s it. Until we have one or both of those everyone can argue how it would be better or worse depending on who is president or governor or 29 yr old county whatever.

we needed a leader that had the balls to say we just don’t know yet what’s going on, but we are trying to figure it out. It’s political suicide but better than this shitshow. We needed a Peggy Noonan points of light speech that might galvanize the country or at least sound good. Did Trump forget to hire anyone to write for him? Tremendously? It’ll be a miracle. Or maybe just fucking someone to say “Hey, stay home. Don’t travel. If you have to work do it and if you don’t you know what, stay the fuck home. And if you are sick, really stay the fuck home. “ Instead we have this mishmash of rules and orders and here we are hoping for good weather so this shit doesn’t blow up.

It’s square one, after 6 motherfucking weeks of stay-at-home, which I did, and it’s still not clear whether it’s ok or even legal for me to go to the damn pool. By myself. 50 people without masks is ok in 7/11 though. I’m sure it’s science. Like last week I couldn’t go to the beach. By myself. Cuz science. This week I can invite my 200 closest friends. Fuck all of our “leaders”. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

Just double checked to make sure I was in CR which I’ve said I would always avoid. I lied I guess but I can go forward -

we need a treatment or vaccine. That’s it. Until we have one or both of those everyone can argue how it would be better or worse depending on who is president or governor or 29 yr old county whatever.

we needed a leader that had the balls to say we just don’t know yet what’s going on, but we are trying to figure it out. It’s political suicide but better than this shitshow. We needed a Peggy Noonan points of light speech that might galvanize the country or at least sound good. Did Trump forget to hire anyone to write for him? Tremendously? It’ll be a miracle. Or maybe just fucking someone to say “Hey, stay home. Don’t travel. If you have to work do it and if you don’t you know what, stay the fuck home. And if you are sick, really stay the fuck home. “ Instead we have this mishmash of rules and orders and here we are hoping for good weather so this shit doesn’t blow up.

It’s square one, after 6 motherfucking weeks of stay-at-home, which I did, and it’s still not clear whether it’s ok or even legal for me to go to the damn pool. By myself. 50 people without masks is ok in 7/11 though. I’m sure it’s science. Like last week I couldn’t go to the beach. By myself. Cuz science. This week I can invite my 200 closest friends. Fuck all of our “leaders”. 

He’s alright, that kid. /Guarnere 

6 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

White vinegar has eased bad sunburn for me for years.   Mainly took the sting out of it.  Don't know the science, but it worked pretty well.  

You guys are like Quint/Crocodile Dundee/Rhodesian mercenaries and shit. 

I assume you treat deep knife wounds with a poultice of wine and briny mud.

6 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

The best thing for sunburn or any burn is a heavy layer of hand lotion.

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The best thing for sunburn or any burn is a heavy layer of hand lotion.

The medical literature recommends a pain reliever such as ibuprofen, drinking lots of water,  and a light moisturizer that doesn't contain petrolatum which can trap heat making the skin feel worse. Aloe vera gels or cool compresses. The issue with the vinegar is that one is putting an acid/exfoliant on a first or second degree burn (a sunburn with blisters) and that isn't great. I'm not a doctor obviously, but I do have to be careful with the skin. YMMV.

Back to reopening talk: is anyone going to get a haircut? I've been trimming my own hair, and am considering waiting until July to visit a shop.

There are no guidelines or indicators. His initial announcement made it very clear this won't be a transparent process. We are reopening because the governor is hearing it from his idiot base and his corporate overlords. That's it.

Edit: Oh, and of course, so the state can get off the hook for a bunch of unemployment claims.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There are no guidelines or indicators. His initial announcement made it very clear this won't be a transparent process. We are reopening because the governor is hearing it from his idiot base and his corporate overlords. That's it.

Edit: Oh, and of course, so the state can get off the hook for a bunch of unemployment claims.

I am FAR from an Abbott fan -- I think he's been beyond disappointing, has displayed petty tyrant tendencies, and has gleefully become a Trump sycophant.

All of that said....we were going to do a phased-in reopening no matter what, no matter who was governor.  And I think it's generally the right thing to do.  I have some issues with how it's being done, how ready we are, and how basic responsibility has NOT been adequately communicated to the public, but I find the GENERAL approach reasonable.  And yes, some of the reasoning is because his "no gestapo on Bastropo" base is yelling at him, the donor class is yelling at him, etc.  But the truth remains: we can't stay in lockdown forever, because the economic and social/mental consequences will end up killing people as well.

We have to strike a balance. He may not be on target with the exact balance that I would strike, but he's not so far off the mark that I think he's being nuts/evil.

Oh, and as to the points that folks are making that "Texas started reopening, cases went up," understand that "confirmed cases" are a creature of TWO factors: 1) the number of people being infected, and 2) the number of people being tested.  We have dramatically increased the number of people being tested.  So of course the number of "confirmed cases" will go up.  We do not yet know if we're seeing a material increase in infections.  I'm sure we will see some - it's a natural consequence of increased human contact.  But "more cases" isn't a bad thing in and of itself.  In this circumstance, it's "more cases to a level that we see spikes that threaten the hospital system" that we have to look for.  The numbers to watch are the numbers hospitalized, in ICU, and deaths.

So, in summary, just because Abbott is a truly shitty, disappointing governor, doesn't mean that he got this all wrong.

• Like 6

If the water/amusement park and beach tourist industry can convince the Lege/governor to *mandate that local schools cannot start early due to teen/college essential workers, then they sure as hell can convince this governor to open up so they can make bank.

*When Perry was governor, the school start dates that (for some districts) had been in mid August were forbidden and schools could no longer set their dates based on community needs. Don't recall what year that was but it was a hassle for us due to work schedules. Apparently the lobby for Schlitterbahn etc was quite effective at getting into the ear of the governor that people HAD to be at the beach, etc or their industry would go under and their business relied on high school and college age workers who, surprise!, needed to get back to their education.

Districts were later able to get a work around by being labeled a "District of Innovation" or some such thing and that allowed them to change some of the requirements.

Again, IF we are going to open to one degree or another, I do not understand why the governor, who acknowledges face masks will constrain the spread of the virus, does not make this mandatory in public places other than to placate the Muh Freedom minority. Seems like such a small cost to substantial benefit measure that Abbott and the GOP has just knee-jerked to the Nope bin.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25410/20200421/austria-90-drop-coronavirus-cases-requiring-people-wear-face-masks.htm

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Again, IF we are going to open to one degree or another, I do not understand why the governor, who acknowledges face masks will constrain the spread of the virus, does not make this mandatory in public places other than to placate the Muh Freedom minority. Seems like such a small cost to substantial benefit measure that Abbott and the GOP has just knee-jerked to the Nope bin.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25410/20200421/austria-90-drop-coronavirus-cases-requiring-people-wear-face-masks.htm

The problem with mandatory is that it 100% creates the scenario of what do you do with the 1-2% of the public who will refuse the order based on personal freedom ideals. No one wants to police and ultimately arrest them or anyone.  

Not to mention that Abbott is clear that he will use the lowest common denominator in terms of what the counties' needs. Small town Texas doesn't need the mandatory rule so he's not going to force it on anyone.

9 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Yeah....I really don't understand why that's not a bigger issue.  I mean, it's so easy to sell.

"We all want to reopen for business as much as possible, while protecting each other from this dangerous infection.  And there's one thing that's key to doing that, and it's so easy -- wear a mask.  We've seen countries reduce their infection rate by 90% -- NINETY PERCENT -- by simply requiring people to wear a mask when they are out and about.  This is the cornerstone of our reopening plan, so the State of Texas now requires that you wear a facemask when out around other people."

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Shockingly, when you cater to morons, you end up having to do some really stupid shit.

It's our national sickness.  We chose to be the Republic of Stupid, and all the stupidity that comes with it.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The problem with mandatory is that it 100% creates the scenario of what do you do with the 1-2% of the public who will refuse the order based on personal freedom ideals. No one wants to police and ultimately arrest them or anyone.  

Not to mention that Abbott is clear that he will use the lowest common denominator in terms of what the counties' needs. Small town Texas doesn't need the mandatory rule so he's not going to force it on anyone.

I would like for them to be arrested.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

1-2% not following mask rules would be better than 30%. You’re never going to have perfect enforcement, but we should implement a policy that’s more likely to get the desired result 

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Then fine them for every violation. 

This, and make it hurt. Make it a $5,000 fine. Hell, make it $10,000. They're free to endanger themselves, but fuck them if they think they've got the right to recklessly endanger the rest of us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

1-2% not following mask rules would be better than 30%. You’re never going to have perfect enforcement, but we should implement a policy that’s more likely to get the desired result 

This.  We don't dispense with speed limits (which unquestionably save lives) just because we know that a certain percentage will disregard them.  In fact, in practice, the authorities don't enforce for minor infractions -- going 72 in a 65, the cops usually let you drive right on by.  The speed limits are there to keep folks at a reasonable speed for the area.  It doesn't have to be perfect, just pretty good.  And generally, it works.  I've been on Mopac lately with light traffic, and nobody is driving 100 mph (although they could).  Most folks are going 65-75.

If 95% of people wear masks when out and about, that will help a whole lot.

6 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Then fine them for every violation. Municipalities and counties like revenue, right?

And this.  That's how you deal with it.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This, and make it hurt. Make it a $5,000 fine. Hell, make it $10,000. They're free to endanger themselves, but fuck them if they think they've got the right to recklessly endanger the rest of us.

Naah, just make it like a traffic fine.  I mean, maybe a stiff one.  But all things considered, I'm probably at least somewhat more likely to be killed by Johnny Sportscar going 100 on the road than I am by Fred Fuck Facemasks, so the fines should be similar.

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

And create a registry available to hospitals so that they can put these folks at the back of the line when it comes to treatment. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Naah, just make it like a traffic fine.  I mean, maybe a stiff one.  But all things considered, I'm probably at least somewhat more likely to be killed by Johnny Sportscar going 100 on the road than I am by Fred Fuck Facemasks, so the fines should be similar.

Yes, but Johnny Sportscar has to carry liability insurance...Fred Fuck Facemasks ain't helping with your medical bills.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Yes, but Johnny Sportscar has to carry liability insurance...Fred Fuck Facemasks ain't helping with your medical bills.

He has to....but often he doesn't.

Oh, and I think that maybe a liability statute -- strict liability for infections of anyone who can prove contact with you -- should be effective if you are convicted of a violation.  That's an easy way to do it.  Want to put other people at risk?  Fine, you're strictly legally responsible for choosing to expose them to that risk.  Rights come with responsibility -- swinging fist ends at my face and all that.

17 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Meanwhile, I just downloaded my application for a ballot by mail.  No fucking way I am going to stand in line with a bunch of dirty fuckers if I can at all avoid it.

Where can one find said application?

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not a good comparison because one involves the transmission of a highly infectious disease and the other doesn't. 

Not sure if we've run a similar analysis of any people who got covid here, but in South Korea that one lady who went to church ended up being the source of a cluster that infected at least 5,500 people. Even assuming a CFR of only 1%, she killed 55 people. That's before even getting to the harm she caused to the survivors who had to be hospitalized and suffered some type of permanent physical damage.  Now, given how widespread covid is at this point, we're almost certainly not going to see anyone here spawn a cluster that large all by themselves since it's more likely someone else they'd infect might catch it from somewhere else anyway. But I think that's an argument in favor of more stringently enforcing mask requirements.

Oh, and I think that maybe a liability statute -- strict liability for infections of anyone who can prove contact with you -- should be effective if you are convicted of a violation.  That's an easy way to do it.  Want to put other people at risk?  Fine, you're strictly legally responsible for choosing to expose them to that risk.  Rights come with responsibility -- swinging fist ends at my face and all that.
Requiring masks by law was extremely helpful for me keeping my jobsites and clients safer. The vast majority of my subs and clients don't want to bother or even think it's rediculous that I'm wearing one in their fucking home.
" Sorry, it's the law " made that conversation quick and easy. I had all my guys wearing them.

Thanks again hot wheels.

I also like the "leadership" on opening salons.

May 1:. " We will assess in phase two and decide on May 18"

May 5 Leeeeroy Jenkinnnnns!
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Requiring masks by law was extremely helpful for me keeping my jobsites and clients safer. The vast majority of my subs and clients don't want to bother or even think it's rediculous that I'm wearing one in their fucking home.
" Sorry, it's the law " made that conversation quick and easy. I had all my guys wearing them.

Thanks again hot wheels.

Yeah, he's not even following his own plan.  It makes me feel really good that he's making shit up as we go.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How do you assign fault?  

For Johnny Sportscar, it's pretty simple to determine fault, and the damages are directly attributable to the cause.  

COVID has a long incubation period, so if I come in contact with 4+ people without masks during a week, and then start exhibiting symptoms a week later, how do I know who's responsible? 

8 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Thanks again hot wheels.

internet seriously GIF

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Thanks again hot wheels.

Just blame it on insurance requirements.

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

How do you assign fault?  

For Johnny Sportscar, it's pretty simple to determine fault, and the damages are directly attributable to the cause.  

COVID has a long incubation period, so if I come in contact with 4+ people without masks during a week, and then start exhibiting symptoms a week later, how do I know who's responsible? 

Strict liability.  If you are cited and convicted for not wearing a mask on a particular day, and a person who had contact with you on that day comes down with COVID, you are strictly liable (in a civil action) for causing their illness.  It creates a legal presumption that you gave it to them. Takes away the proof problem.  And creates a strong incentive to wear your damn mask.