Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  It's a very simple thing: for your country and countrymen, please wear a simple mask.  Even a bandana.  Do it for your country and fellow Americans.

Response: "FUCK YOOOOOO!  MAH FREEDOMS!!!!!!"

We now know this about our country -- when asked to do a simple thing to help our fellow man, the response of a huge swath of our country is "no way, fuck you."  Greatest country in the world my ass.

I wonder what transformed us from a country that was once actually pretty good at this sort of thing. Victory gardens. Polio cautions. That sort of thing.  Hmmm.

Could it be...

The right wing hate engine built behind the curtain of Ronald Reagan's avuncular smile and cornball platitudes? The Dems have gone so far left that they left the country? Culture war, anyone? Liberals hate America and want to enslave everyone to government. Environmentalists are terrorists. Feminists are akin to Nazis. 

Don't just disagree during political discourse; condemn those with whom you disagree as traitors and fools! Take America back from those Americans! They're effiminate and have ebil agendas to support their false narratives!

Division and hate are the currency of the Trumpist GOP and the right as defined by Rush Limbaugh and his kind. Add the unthinking person's certainty in his own conclusions, and you have quite a shit stew bubbling over on the stove.

I don't see a road to recovery. Nobody, including me, is doing much more than venting anger on the internet. I'd like to think it's the virus keeping us from taking over the streets, but I really doubt that.

• Like 4

half the country thinks education and science is only for the elite and pussies.  more than half think the the government is either evil or pointless. i see no way to convince these people they're wrong when they have so many outlets that will tell them they're exactly right.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

And I'm just sitting there like "oh, fuck--now I have to go before this judge who just sent that pretty little blonde Collin County mom to jail."

Actually your client had to go before the judge. I bet your chances of going to jail, although not zero, were pretty small. 

8 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Actually your client had to go before the judge. I bet your chances of going to jail, although not zero, were pretty small. 

The problem is, if your client goes to jail on contempt, a lot of the time the lawyer has to spend an excessive amount of time in said jail (arranging for paying child support arrears, answering discovery requests, etc.).  It's not quite the same as being behind bars, but it sucks in its own way.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The problem is, if your client goes to jail on contempt, a lot of the time the lawyer has to spend an excessive amount of time in said jail (arranging for paying child support arrears, answering discovery requests, etc.).  It's not quite the same as being behind bars, but it sucks in its own way.

But you’re charging by the hour.  Everyone has aspects of their job that suck, that’s why we get paid. 

12 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The running joke years ago every time you had to go to Fort Worth for a hearing with Judge McBryde was "bring your toothbrush".

24 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

And Beto is obeying the rules and looking appropriately quarantine hot.

I have an apology to make Ms. Bama.  I took off my Beto for Senator bumper sticker last week. 

Wife was always warning me that some Republican asshole was going to shoot me because I'm a shitty driver.  And a meskin. 

She didn't think the Beto sticker increased my chances for survival.

Went to a steakhouse for the first time out/dine in a restaurant since early March. Half the dining room was closed off, only 3 waiters staffed and only saw three tables the whole time I was there. Was a nice, quiet experience. Would do it again.

I have an apology to make Ms. Bama.  I took off my Beto for Senator bumper sticker last week. 
Wife was always warning me that some Republican asshole was going to shoot me because I'm a shitty driver.  And a meskin. 
She didn't think the Beto sticker increased my chances for survival.

Listen, I feel you.

I’m a woman in Alabama with a Beto sticker and a Doug Jones sticker on my car.

I really worry about my daughter who has a Bernie sticker and all kinds of “liberal propaganda” on her car like “Save the Earth”, March For Our Lives, a rainbow, and “Be Nice To People”.

She’s good with her mace spray.

23 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Went to a steakhouse for the first time out/dine in a restaurant since early March. Half the dining room was closed off, only 3 waiters staffed and only saw three tables the whole time I was there. Was a nice, quiet experience. Would do it again.

Well, I’m gonna need to see a pic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

How was the glazed carrot and potatoes with gravy?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Did you order your steak really, really, really, really well done?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Listen, I feel you.

I’m a woman in Alabama with a Beto sticker and a Doug Jones sticker on my car.

I really worry about my daughter who has a Bernie sticker and all kinds of “liberal propaganda” on her car like “Save the Earth”, March For Our Lives, a rainbow, and “Be Nice To People”.

She’s good with her mace spray.

I think your daughter gets treated better than if I were to wear a Maga hat in California. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

But you’re charging by the hour.  Everyone has aspects of their job that suck, that’s why we get paid. 

By the time your client gets thrown in jail for contempt, they have quit listening to you, probably blame you for the contempt citation, and is unlikely to pay their bill.  If you knew you were getting paid, that would be one thing.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

By the time your client gets thrown in jail for contempt, they have quit listening to you, probably blames you for the contempt citation, and is unlikely to pay their bill.  If you knew you were getting paid, that would be one thing.

ben affleck love GIF

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I think your daughter gets treated better than if I were to wear a Maga hat in California. 

When someone proclaims to the world that they are a moron then they should expect to be treated as such.

• Like 3

Fuck your feelings! Libtards are snowflakes! Trump is the alpha male!

Liberals are bullies who pick on me for my hat!

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

i've seen maga hats around austin.  nobody says anything (except maybe to one another) because we all know that's exactly what they want.

Same deal when you see them here. Idiot southern tourists wear them looking for a response from people. They were always mostly ignored when I saw them.

33 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Same deal when you see them here. Idiot southern tourists wear them looking for a response from people. They were always mostly ignored when I saw them.

I really is some of the most childish public behavior I've seen in my lifetime.  An entire cadre  of people who dress in a way to say "Fuck you, wanna make something of it?"  Goddamned children.

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I really is some of the most childish public behavior I've seen in my lifetime.  An entire cadre  of people who dress in a way to say "Fuck you, wanna make something of it?"  Goddamned children.

35 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I’m fortunate that I have Hispanic in-laws (wife is first gen USA) and would you like to know what drives those maga pussies nuts?

When we speak in Spanish to each other and occasionally glance at them. They very nearly have the kind of reactions against us that they’d wish we were having against them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, zork said:

Exactly.  People wear that shit because they are looking for a fight.  That's what children do.  And there are enough idiots out there that occasionally -- but pretty rarely -- they get what they were looking for.

It's the equivalent of walking into a bar in Norman with all of your UT gear on, saying loudly "Sooners are pussies."  Some Sooner will probably crack, and throw a punch at you.  Most won't, but one or two juvenile ones will.  None of which changes the fact that you were the punkass bitch who purposefully went out looking for a fight.  What kind of pathetic cockmunch does that?

Well, I've been among some MAGA gear crowds -- that's exactly the vibe most of them are sending off -- "yeah, I'm MAGA, whadda ya gonna do about it, libtard?"  When an entire movement is mostly about taunting people and looking for a fight -- yeah, they're fucking children.  The fact that they occasionally get someone to respond to their taunts doesn't change that even a little bit.

• Like 5

Guest Lobo

I applaud those brave enough to wear their "MAGA" hats in public.  And they should certainly not be assaulted nor have drinks thrown in their faces.  

My older sister with Down's Syndrome has had a similar plight.  Whether it's a hat, or the facial structure of a person, sometimes you can tell that someone is slow and needs special help, not to be attacked.  All people with mental disabilities, be they my sister or my fellow Texans, need protection.  

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Exactly.  People wear that shit because they are looking for a fight.  That's what children do.  And there are enough idiots out there that occasionally -- but pretty rarely -- they get what they were looking for.

It's the equivalent of walking into a bar in Norman with all of your UT gear on, saying loudly "Sooners are pussies."  Some Sooner will probably crack, and throw a punch at you.  Most won't, but one or two juvenile ones will.  None of which changes the fact that you were the punkass bitch who purposefully went out looking for a fight.  What kind of pathetic cockmunch does that?

Actually the sooners will try to chew your balls off.  This has happened.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I applaud those brave enough to wear their "MAGA" hats in public.  And they should certainly not be assaulted nor have drinks thrown in their faces.  

My older sister with Down's Syndrome has had a similar plight.  Whether it's a hat, or the facial structure of a person, sometimes you can tell that someone is slow and needs special help, not to be attacked.  All people with mental disabilities, be they my sister or my fellow Texans, need protection.  

Your sister 1) didn't choose to have Downs 2) to be a dick and taunt people.

And, I mean, if she did, it would probably end up being delightful.  Been a long time since I've worked with young folks with Downs, but they were uniformly kind, made me laugh and enjoyed laughing with me, and were great to be around.

None of that's true about MAGAs.  Except the reduced mental faculties part.

Guest Lobo

She was given 25-35 years at birth to live, at best.  They offered to put her in a distant facility.  I'm glad she's turning 51 this year and I'm glad she got to live to see this administration.  Because she can take some solace in the fact that tens of millions of people, without the burden of the extra chromosome slowing them down, are beneath her ability to reason and to love.  

I am a proud and deeply connected Republican, and I am glad that my stunted, retarded sister has millions of Trumpkins to look down upon.  At least she gives a shit about humanity.

Mark Cuban hires army of secret shoppers to gauge Safety Protocol compliance level of Dallas-area businesses after the Abbott opens up state. Not good. Sorry about the format.

http://blogmaverick.com/2020/05/07/i-hired-a-team-of-secret-shoppers-to-find-out-how-businesses-were-opening-in-dallas-its-not-good/

11 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Mark Cuban hires army of secret shoppers to gauge Safety Protocol compliance level of Dallas-area businesses after the Abbott opens up state. Not good. Sorry about the format.

http://blogmaverick.com/2020/05/07/i-hired-a-team-of-secret-shoppers-to-find-out-how-businesses-were-opening-in-dallas-its-not-good/

This was easily predictable and there is no real enforcement mechanism.  There are no “health police” except for federal and state inspectors and they might make a visit once a year in normal times.  

Also, as I said before, the supply chain on the products needed to be in full compliance are not obtainable.  Every business in the country is trying to get their hands the same stuff at the same time and the manufacturers are not set up for that kind of production or distribution yet. There’s also the testing and tracing capabilities that are still nonexistent.  

Magical thinking and “winging it” is our government’s plan right now and it looks like the population is aware for the most part which is the only reassuring thing.