Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

58 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

That doesn't happen when a sizable chunk of the population deliberately refuses to put to forth the minimal amount of effort required to wear a mask. Directing your sentiments to "everyone" when it's not "everyone" endangering those around them, and the violence and threats of violence is coming pretty much exclusively from one side, is amateur level both-siderism. Go fuck your own self. 

From one of your previous posts it appears that maybe you headed to Port A? You referenced I37 traffic. If so you want to tell me that these are all or even mostly Trump voters here acting like idiots? It’s a bunch of 20 30 and 40 year olds with a very healthy mix of Hispanics from San Antonio and Corpus. Most of the older,wealthier, likely Trump  people here are wearing masks. Or leaving. The locals here are wearing masks. The problem is on both sides which was the point of my post, and your continued insistence that is was THOSE OTHER BAD PEOPLE  ON THE OTHER SIDE is a large part of the problem. People in general are fucking idiots. We are all guilty of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Seriously- can we drop the bullshit of “you are advocating for an approach that’s going to kill lots of people?”  

Every approach is going to kill lots of people if there’s not a vaccine or treatment protocol by yesterday. 

Shelter in place happens?  People still dying. 

Unemployment hits 20%?  People dying 

people can’t get medical care or are afraid to go to the hospital?  People dying. 

Theres no outcome here without a fairly significant body count. You can decide to play it out for a long period of time and consume basically the entire economy or you can try to rip the bandaid off. Either way though, lots of people are going to die. 

And yes- I realize- either way the economy is going to get hit. And hit hard. But man- if we could lock in “only” a 10% drop in gdp I’d be ecstatic. Maybe our kids can someday be as well off as our parents!  What a wonderful thing to shoot for. It all sucks. 

Our kids were never going to be as well off as our parents.

Our parents made sure of that.

• Like 3

Hello, Peter Ludlow here, CEO of InGen, the company behind the wildly successful dinosaur-themed amusement park, Jurassic Park. As you’re all aware, after an unprecedented storm hit the park, we lost power and the velociraptors escaped their enclosure and killed hundreds of park visitors, prompting a two-month shutdown of the park. Well, I’m pleased to announce that, even though the velociraptors are still on the loose, we will be opening Jurassic Park back up to the public!

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/sure-the-velociraptors-are-still-on-the-loose-but-thats-no-reason-not-to-reopen-jurassic-park

• Like 4

Well, yeah, because masks are FASCISM! Better strap on my AR and March on the capitol, rifle at a low ready to indicate I’m ready to kill or die for the sacred liberty of [checks notes] being able to go to TJ Maxx without a piece of cloth over my mouth and nose. Fuck yew! FREEDOM EAGLE LIBERTY PATRIOT GUNS!
No plan. Even worse, active and threateningly violent RESISTANCE to even the most basic, easy of planning measures.
We’re not just going to kill people, we’re going to utterly fuck up re-entry into economic activity because THIS IS ‘MURICA NOBODY TELLS ME WHAT TO DO! God we’re stupid.
You are smart as fuck and I respect your opinions. What are some angles of profit for survival and future humanitarian aid with what's coming. What are some angles and efforts that can be made besides hoarding cash and GTFO?

Twice said it best "I think his play is to declare that it was impossible to beat the invisible enemy". If you're never gonna truly get rid of this that means you can never truly open up. What world do people not say, "Fuck this!" when you can't be let out?
Are you okay with staying inside indefinitely to save one life?
I'm also not saying there isn't ways for people to mitigate this either.
I'm saying I see people take jobs with zero precautions in tight quarters in central Texas with no regs then have testing hit 20% of the staff positive in two weeks.

Then hear about people quitting those jobs out of fear

Vs

Essential plants owned by Asian companies doing contact tracing and having every precaution and keep rolling along at full production because they aren't stupid

Oh, really?  Why would it be like Sweden here, and not like New York, the UK, Spain or Italy?  What is the evidence for that?
And for that matter, what is your evidence that Sweden’s economy isn’t going to be killed?  Sweden doesn’t agree with you.
https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-sweden-economy/update-1-swedish-finance-minister-warns-coronavirus-recession-could-to-be-worst-since-wwii-idUSL5N2CC2Y0
”The downturn in Sweden's economy could be the worst since World War Two, a government forecast showed on Friday, with gross domestic product shrinking as much as 10%.”
Declaring the economy open for business doesn’t mean everything is magically healed and Covid-19 never happened.   The head in the sand theory of economics is only comforting until it’s not.  I think people might as well start accepting some hard truths about the economy - because it’s going to happen either way - so we can at least try to limit the body count.
Don't bother. Evidence of what's coming will be clear in a few weeks. Goal post will be moved.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, justhookit said:

From one of your previous posts it appears that maybe you headed to Port A? You referenced I37 traffic. If so you want to tell me that these are all or even mostly Trump voters here acting like idiots? It’s a bunch of 20 30 and 40 year olds with a very healthy mix of Hispanics from San Antonio and Corpus. Most of the older,wealthier, likely Trump  people here are wearing masks. Or leaving. The locals here are wearing masks. The problem is on both sides which was the point of my post, and your continued insistence that is was THOSE OTHER BAD PEOPLE  ON THE OTHER SIDE is a large part of the problem. People in general are fucking idiots. We are all guilty of that.

As a truck driver that travels daily all over Texas, I definitely see a difference depending where I'm at, and that pretty much tracts what people report here. There is definitely overlap, but there is no equivalency. The ones that are most deliberate about it, defiant about it, that are making an issue out of a simple request to wear a mask, from what I can tell comparing my first hand experience with what shows up in the news, overwhelmingly are GOP material.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand
  • Like 1

This has also been my go to for how this is going down. We might as well have just skipped to that and avoided all the economic carnage as the sick and death are going to happen how they are going to happen anyway with something that kills less than 1% of the people. 
We can’t and won’t shut ourselves inside for months/years for something with that low a level of lethality. So, worst of every world here as a final result, with a dash of systematic leadership failure pretty much everywhere and at every level, be it pro opening or against opening.  
Cool.

Expect most of the people that can afford to dig in with comforts are. The poors are not so lucky

I'm wondering why y'all believe no one has died from closing. Do you think tanking the supply chain, or killing hospitals haven't killed people? This isn't black or white.
Ya ya, if everyone goes back to work everyone who is compromised will die. No one isn't saying they should go out, but that the healthy people should.
Cool
Open schools?
Large events?
Daycares?

If not all 3 how do you mitigate the impact just of that?

Or I don’t know, maybe everyone should stay safe? Fuck off.
As long as we have extreme thoughts like Brisket’s - a small minority - and the fuck you my guns freedom bullshit - another small minority - it always appears that things are worse than they are. The truth is that a majority of people in this country are caught somewhere in the middle of the bullshit. My guess is that Brisket knows some Republicans or even Trump voters who aren’t trying to kill everyone. I certainly know some anti-trump people that are refusing to wear a mask. I don’t FREAK THE FUCK OUT thinking they are trying to kill me.
Drawing a political line helps nothing and likely makes it worse because instead of arguing science we are arguing politics. That line was already set in stone. Moving the discussion from Democrats want to shut things down and kill the economy but Republicans want to open things up and help the economy,  to something more like it’s really fucking clear that the more testing the better and we can all do our part by staying home when sick. It’s a simple message and isn’t politically polarizing. Oh, and when your governor starts to open up the state in a limited capacity, despite local stay at home guidelines, this doesn’t mean run out and take a fucking vacation.

Seen any cheap real estate down in the Osa?

Im ready to flee this smoldering wreckage.
I'm looking less forward to coast trips just based on emboldened Redneck fuckery

As a truck driver that travels daily all over Texas, I definitely see a difference depending where I'm at, and that pretty much tracts what people report here. There is definitely overlap, but there is no equivalency. The ones that are most deliberate about it, defiant about it, that are making an issue out of a simple request to wear a mask, from what I can tell comparing my first hand experience with what shows up in the news, overwhelmingly are GOP material.
I see that as well. I require mask on all my jobs and the Latino population complies 100% indoors and close to that outside until I leave. No complaints. The trumptard helper to the fiberglass has to get run the fuck off the job despite the fact that he should be wearing a respirator not just my sake, but for the toxic fumes he breathes daily.

So yes lots of demographics don't wear mask unless asked too.

It's entitled white assholes not only not wearing them, but also crusading for others to not wear them. That's the problem.

9 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Reasonable and I can agree. My issue is only that I don’t think it’s overwhelmingly crossing political lines. To which I’ll add that as with almost any issue the loudest, defiant people are almost always a small minority and appear to be much greater in numbers than they are. I’d say 80% of this country falls somewhere in the middle. And that’s where I diverge completely away from @Brisketexan, because I’ve still got faith. We aren’t a bad people or a bad nation. We are just stupid and that’s been the case for a long time. In the meantime we do the best with what we’ve got.

A lot of people on this board are very much alike - educated, middle aged, and financially secure. We are not nearly as far apart in ideology as it would appear from reading this board. and I go back to the 360 days so I’ve “known” most of these assholes a very long time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Seen any cheap real estate down in the Osa?

Im ready to flee this smoldering wreckage.
I'm looking less forward to coast trips just based on emboldened Redneck fuckery

As always it’s still cheap if you are buying in the undeveloped areas. Golfito is still a good buy because one of these days it will take off when they actually get a marina project to stick. Last 2 failed but they will try again one day.  I don’t see any fire sales in LosSuenos or Manuel Antonio happening though even if this runs well into 2021. the businesses there will be fucked though.

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

You and workswithseed’s immediate response to my post about Sweden estimating their GDP will decline by 10% this year was, “WOW, that’s so much better than here!”

Is it, though?   What’s the basis for that? The Swedish government estimate was from late April.  A more recent analysis by Swedish banks estimates the yearly reduction in Sweden’s GDP for 2020 being 7%.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-06/sweden-s-gentler-lockdown-strategy-to-limit-gdp-drop-seb-says

I’m admittedly not sure what current projections for yearly GDP reduction in the USA are, but in April PIMCO estimated a 5% total decrease for US GDP over the entire year.   That was with an estimate of a 30% contraction in the 2nd quarter, so it’s not like they just had no idea how bad it would get, either.  It’s important to keep in mind the huge 30% and 40% decrease numbers are quarterly, not for the whole year. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-gdp-pimco-idUSKCN21Q2VL

The PIMCO theory, however, was that economic activity would pick back up in the 3rd and 4th quarter after we shut down during the 2nd quarter.  That may not be the case if the 2nd quarter shutdown ends up being in vain because we stopped it before cases actually declined and before the spread was actually contained, due to Karen just having to take her entire maskless family with her to the grocery store instead of ordering curbside another month, and Jimbo just having to let everyone know that social distancing in a pandemic is a worse affront to liberty than Apartheid.  So ... oops.

Again, it’s nice to think the economy would be awesome if we followed the Swedish model.  What’s the evidence of that, though?  Our economy was already tanking before official shelter in place orders.  Sweden’s economy is tanking with a strategy of no shutdown, full stop.  Where’s the data to support that Sweden’s expected economic outcome is so preferable to ours that it justifies throwing all medical caution to the wind?

There’s no data at all yet to support any of this stuff, but if you want to make a trading places style wager with me (ie $1.00 Randolph and Mortimer style) I’m taking Sweeden and laying the points. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/take-shutdown-skeptics-seriously/611419/

This article encapsulates about 80% of what I’m thinking about why the shutdown is bad. 

The other 20% I don’t like about the shutdown is my reflexive distrust of government granting itself additional rights and privileges in times of crises that it never really gives back. 

Nobody wants to stay sheltered until a vaccine. But in order to function *and limit the deadly impact* we need diagnostic and antibody testing coupled with isolation protocol and massive contact tracing, so exposed people can stay home and not spread the disease further. But that’s not happening. It’s just “back to work/restaurants/malls/haircuts”. Why can’t “re-open” be done in a scientific way designed to protect as many people as possible?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Why can’t “re-open” be done in a scientific way designed to protect as many people as possible?

Because it's brought to you by the same people who believe that "intelligent design" is on equal footing with the scientific method and that the 'intelligent' part is optional.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:56 AM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Just drove over the Guadalupe on 281 and see people already picking out their primo day spots on the river. I imagine it will look like the Caddyshack pool scene by noon.

Drove by there Saturday at 4pm. It was a madhouse. Just as busy or busier than the typical summer day. 

I was thinking about the "sunlight/heat" and the virus and the folks that are spending time outdoors but not perhaps social distancing. Since a percentage of those folks are still of a mind that COVID is no worse than the flu, I looked up a general statistic or two regarding the flu season. It's estimated that anywhere from 5-20% of Americans get the flu each year. Some of those people may have still received the vaccine as it doesn't provide complete protection. The supply of the flu vaccine is capable of inoculating over half of the population (that is an estimate). So, really, your chances of getting the flu are already somewhat low not only due to the vaccine, but the eventual partial immunity your body would have over previous similar strains.

While the virus may lessen a little in the summer with school still being in recess, I really just see a drop and then a plateau that lasts until the fall when all hell breaks loose.

13 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Seriously- can we drop the bullshit of “you are advocating for an approach that’s going to kill lots of people?”  

Every approach is going to kill lots of people if there’s not a vaccine or treatment protocol by yesterday. 

Shelter in place happens?  People still dying. 

Unemployment hits 20%?  People dying 

people can’t get medical care or are afraid to go to the hospital?  People dying. 

Theres no outcome here without a fairly significant body count. You can decide to play it out for a long period of time and consume basically the entire economy or you can try to rip the bandaid off. Either way though, lots of people are going to die. 

And yes- I realize- either way the economy is going to get hit. And hit hard. But man- if we could lock in “only” a 10% drop in gdp I’d be ecstatic. Maybe our kids can someday be as well off as our parents!  What a wonderful thing to shoot for. It all sucks. 

Recessions actually cause decreases in mortality rates. There's a lot of science on this. You're working from bad assumptions.

Hard to believe that we've politicized a pandemic (plandemic) this much. Or perhaps it's not surprising. I also think both sides have varying degrees of guilt in this.

However your personal response is practically becoming a signal of your current political support. Libertarian or far right, then hell no you're not staying home or wearing a mask. Far left, then you want to shut down until a vaccine is available (or Trump is voted out.)  Like other political issues, I think the majority from light red to light blue are more pragmatic in their views of covid-19 and how to respond.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hard to believe that we've politicized a pandemic (plandemic) this much. Or perhaps it's not surprising. I also think both sides have varying degrees of guilt in this.

However your personal response is practically becoming a signal of your current political support. Libertarian or far right, then hell no you're not staying home or wearing a mask. Far left, then you want to shut down until a vaccine is available (or Trump is voted out.)  Like other political issues, I think the majority from light red to light blue are more pragmatic in their views of covid-19 and how to respond.

Nobody that matters has said this. 

• Like 3

Agree with LF68 ^. Also, I spend too much time reading about this shit every day, and I honestly have seen NO ONE advocating keeping lockdowns going until a vaccine or cure is available. No one, not in media, on blogs, message boards.

Most of my "side" is aligned with what Pig Bellmont wrote in #1328 above. Open up ASAP...but do it safely, which actually shouldn't take that long

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Nobody that matters has said this. 

This happens with a lot of different issues.  The Rs actually say some bat shit lunacy and then claim the Ds want the polar opposite when in reality the "Dems" are the other 65% of the nation that just wants some rational decisions.  Look at the "OPEN BORDERS!" cries.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Nobody wants to stay sheltered until a vaccine. But in order to function *and limit the deadly impact* we need diagnostic and antibody testing coupled with isolation protocol and massive contact tracing, so exposed people can stay home and not spread the disease further. But that’s not happening. It’s just “back to work/restaurants/malls/haircuts”. Why can’t “re-open” be done in a scientific way designed to protect as many people as possible?

Because this country is really fucking stupid.

46 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Seen better "both sides" on campus. 3/10.

No one is arguing for an indefinite shutdown.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I live in the bluest part of a blue state, and I have not heard anyone say that.  

But, when one "side" of the debate focuses on bs youtube videos from doctors, armed protests for the "freedom" to make other people given them haircuts, spouting off about tin foil hat hoaxes, lies, propaganda, let grandma die for the stock market, and a refusal to even fucking wear a face mask, there can't be a rational discussion.  

I wish we'd have Brisket's rational discussion about how and when to open things up and risks that should be taken.  But it's impossible right now.  And that's one side's fault.

• Like 4

Are there tests now that give immediate results?   They talk about the WH being tested daily.  If the results aren't immediate then, seems like it would be too little too late.  If Monday's results aren't available until Wednesday, and they come back positive, then the infected has been spreading that stuff for 2 days, since you know they aren't quarantining.  I know they used to test and quarantine for 14 days.  I assume it was because it took 14 days for symptoms to manifest at the longest?  They don't do this anymore because tests are better?   I'm confused.

So if the test results are immediate, then why the hell can't they be readily available to the public?  Because some Trump grifter hasn't found a way to corner the market on said tests?  

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

. Far left, then you want to shut down until a vaccine is available (or Trump is voted out.) 

You’re a pretty educated person, so it’s shocking that you think anyone has actually said this.  

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Are there tests now that give immediate results?   They talk about the WH being tested daily.  If the results aren't immediate then, seems like it would be too little too late.  If Monday's results aren't available until Wednesday, and they come back positive, then the infected has been spreading that stuff for 2 days, since you know they aren't quarantining.  I know they used to test and quarantine for 14 days.  I assume it was because it took 14 days for symptoms to manifest at the longest?  They don't do this anymore because tests are better?   I'm confused.

So if the test results are immediate, then why the hell can't they be readily available to the public?  Because some Trump grifter hasn't found a way to corner the market on said tests?  

Abbott's tech takes 15 minutes for results. 

But the Abbott tests aren't very reliable. Presumably the White House has some top of the line version that produces results within a couple hours at most.

As to why we can't all have such testing, well that's basically the subtopic of the year. The short answer is because the federal government doesn't want people to get tested. The longer logistical answer involves scarcity of materials, administrative fuck-ups dating back years, and the simple fact that the science on this is difficult (viruses change over time, immunity level varies, etc). The longer political answer is all over this thread, but pretty much comes back to Trump/GOP trying to get re-elected using their usual cruel, divisive process. The more chaos and anger, the better his chances in November.

I actually think we should NEVER have shut the economy down.  Of course I would have been planning for millions of tests being made available staring in very early January. But when as President you do the dumbest fucking thing you can do, then follow up with the new dumbest fucking thing you can do?  You have to shut the fucking economy down, because when you do the dumbest fucking thing you can do, your options are shitty and shutdown became the ONLY choice possible.  

I could rant about how important testing will be to opening up the economy like I have been for fucking weeks, upon weeks. In essence I was a fucking genius in that I and ONLY I, was able to see that this virus was going to seriously fuck up our country.  I was smarter than the President and every single cabinet member.  

Of course I read....

SO let's all go play Russian Roulette and do our part to open up the economy, while our dear leader hides out tweeting and ignoring the obvious need to test people widely to get the economy back!!!!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I actually think we should NEVER have shut the economy down.  Of course I would have been planning for millions of tests being made available staring in very early January. But when as President you do the dumbest fucking thing you can do, then follow up with the new dumbest fucking thing you can do?  You have to shut the fucking economy down, because when you do the dumbest fucking thing you can do, your options are shitty and shutdown became the ONLY choice possible.  

I could rant about how important testing will be to opening up the economy like I have been for fucking weeks, upon weeks. In essence I was a fucking genius in that I and ONLY I, was able to see that this virus was going to seriously fuck up our country.  I was smarter than the President and every single cabinet member.  

Of course I read....

SO let's all go play Russian Roulette and do our part to open up the economy, while our dear leader hides out tweeting and ignoring the obvious need to test people widely to get the economy back!!!!!

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

This fucking bitch!

hold on a second...

She took PPP money but didn't have employees. So she knew going in the loan wouldn't be forgiven

But is saying she didn't use the money because she didn't know how to use it? What a load of shit

You think the government isn't handing tests out like candy is cause they're evil, and not cause they just don't have the capacity, and resources to do 300m tests a day?

When incompetence is intentional it's malfeasance. So, yes, evil. 

15 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Heard on NPR that Senegal is offering everyone free or cheap in home testing. Results in minutes. Both antibody and active infection tests.

Took me two days just two weeks ago to find a test for my son who was sick.

Which country is the third world shit hole?

free july 4 GIF

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Heard on NPR that Senegal is offering everyone free or cheap in home testing. Results in minutes. Both antibody and active infection tests.

Took me two days just two weeks ago to find a test for my son who was sick.

Which country is the third world shit hole?

The crisis demanded a response that was swift, rational, and collective. The United States reacted instead like Pakistan or Belarus—like a country with shoddy infrastructure and a dysfunctional government whose leaders were too corrupt or stupid to head off mass suffering. The administration squandered two irretrievable months to prepare. From the president came willful blindness, scapegoating, boasts, and lies. From his mouthpieces, conspiracy theories and miracle cures. A few senators and corporate executives acted quickly—not to prevent the coming disaster, but to profit from it. When a government doctor tried to warn the public of the danger, the White House took the mic and politicized the message.

Every morning in the endless month of March, Americans woke up to find themselves citizens of a failed state.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/06/underlying-conditions/610261/

• Like 2

Today I went from very quiet, low-traffic central Dallas, where I think people generally continue to social distance and wear masks, to north Arlington to ride my bike.

Northwest Highway continues to be pretty lightly trafficked, even out to 183, which includes some industrial areas.  183 out to 360 was as normal, that is pretty heavily trafficked, even with the airport in relative disuse (I would guess 183 traffic is often airport traffic).

However, at River Legacy Park, Arlington Police were on patrol, the playgrounds were taped off, and people walking and riding were observing social distancing and often masked (I'm not torqued about people outdoors exercizing wearing masks unless it's some kind of group grope).

So, the actual people still seem to be in safety mode, but the volume of traffic was a bit disconcerting.

Just some data points.

Latest CDC numbers, gathered the same science-y way each year I suspect, some argue the data is delayed but still it is compared against similarly delayed previous years(same science), show Texas at 93% of expected all deaths thus far for the week as of 5-9-2020.   for reference:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm?fbclid=IwAR3bC8l68kMc0X8xcagMyMwS3ijD3v8PikMb7I7lTXvc_T6UHOJRq21PREU

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1q2EKunqTCZ7XeuY8gTc

HDKMBXZx_400x400.png