Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

Just now, Wanker Bob said:

No doubt, but if anyone is going to be strictly tested that short list should definitely include people who directly work with cancer patients. To not even test their employees after known exposure and to threaten their employees about not revealing their negligent indifference is terrible. That's going to get patients exposed and killed. 

Yes - that's egregious.  The not testing them part or offering them a script to go get tested.  She can walk into a variety of places and get a test.  Hell send me a DM and I'll write her a script/call it in to a lab for her.  That's BS. 

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes - that's egregious.  The not testing them part or offering them a script to go get tested.  She can walk into a variety of places and get a test.  Hell send me a DM and I'll write her a script/call it in to a lab for her.  That's BS. 

I let my wife know to text her and ask if she wants you to get her a test. I'll DM you if she says yes

8 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Texas reports more new cases yesterday than any other day since this shit started - 14% more than the previous high on May 1.

Last two days were two of our biggest testing days yet. The positive rate is going down. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

The two of you aren’t this stupid. Anastasis at least.

At best he is selectively picking the time frame to make a misleading point.  Very aggy. I would argue that by necessity the three day total for each day during the current month includes data from the prior month for the two days at the beginning of the assessment period. Maybe that makes me stupid.  More likely imo, it is an indication of imprecision in the wording of the post, if not an attempt to outright mislead the reader.  

Just now, Anastasis said:

At best he is selectively picking the time frame to make a misleading point.  Very aggy. I would argue that by necessity the three day total for each day during the current month includes data from the prior month for the two days at the beginning of the assessment period. Maybe that makes me stupid.  More likely imo, it is an indication of imprecision in the wording of the post, if not an attempt to outright mislead the reader.  

May 1 was when Texas reopened, right? That’s probably the reason “this month” was used even though everyone knows you don’t attract, get sick, and hospitalized in one day.  Shitty use on their part, just as mind numbing to use it as a gotcha.

4 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

May 1 was when Texas reopened, right? That’s probably the reason “this month” was used even though everyone knows you don’t attract, get sick, and hospitalized in one day.  Shitty use on their part, just as mind numbing to use it as a gotcha.

May 8. 

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Try again

You are right, May 8 was the second tier of reopening. 

That still doesn't change the fact that the three day total on May 1 was greater than today's three day total. 

Edited by Anastasis

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

San Antonio stats. 

hospitalized patients

may 13- 81

May 7- 83

vented patients 

may 13- 27

may 7- 20

Hospitalizations are also down statewide from the peaks. So we got that going for us I guess.  

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I feel for that person.  But if everyone in the medical field followed the 2 week quarantine rule if they've been exposed - there would literally be nobody to work in big cities/hot spots.  The entire healthcare system would fully collapse.  There's no way you can work day in and out and not have been exposed over and over.  That may fly in rural America but the real world is a bitch for healthcare workers and by extension, their families. 

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

No doubt, but if anyone is going to be strictly tested that short list should definitely include people who directly work with cancer patients. To not even test their employees after known exposure and to threaten their employees about not revealing their negligent indifference is terrible. That's going to get patients exposed and killed. 

This is the proper response.  Telling them NOT to get tested?  That seems like a good path to creating liability for 1) illness of one of your workers getting worse because they weren't diagnosed via test early, and 2) letting that infected worker infect a patient, when you could have found out the worker was infected and taken them off the floor.

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Yeah I don’t remember the exact number but the peak here was 130-140s. 

Annotation-2020-05-14-175635.png

Too early to tell the impact of re-opening imo, but the good news is that we are well below capacity across the state.  That was the purpose of the flattening measures, to prevent ourselves from overwhelming our hospital and vent resources. It looks like it worked.  I think that I personally would have preferred that we stretch the shutdown a couple more weeks and really started to see a consistent decrease in new cases before reopening, but if the endgame was preventing an italy situation where we overwhelm our medical resources, it would appear we accomplished that.  If shit turns south, and it very well could if people act reckless, we have to be prepared to go right back to a shutdown scenario.  I am not sure that there will be much appetite for that however, which is why I think that we needed to try to stretch another couple weeks out of the initial action.  

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Annotation-2020-05-14-175635.png

Too early to tell the impact of re-opening imo, but the good news is that we are well below capacity across the state.  That was the purpose of the flattening measures, to prevent ourselves from overwhelming our hospital and vent resources. It looks like it worked.  I think that I personally would have preferred that we stretch the shutdown a couple more weeks and really started to see a consistent decrease in new cases before reopening, but if the endgame was preventing an italy situation where we overwhelm our medical resources, it would appear we accomplished that.  If shit turns south, and it very well could if people act reckless, we have to be prepared to go right back to a shutdown scenario.  I am not sure that there will be much appetite for that however, which is why I think that we needed to try to stretch another couple weeks out of the initial action.  

Yeah....I think that's what we all need to come to grips with: there's NO solution that stops continued infections.  There will always be some risk.  We just have to keep the rate of transmission low enough not to overwhelm our ability to treat the sick.

That's a depressing thing to acknowledge -- that no matter what, more people will get sick, and more people will die.  But it's reality.  Knowing that reality, how do we live in it for the next year or so?

• Like 2

Just now, Loch Ness Monster said:

Was definitely thinking Texas re-opening so soon was dumb as hell but probably the right call.

Now on board with the old/vulnerable need to stay home and the rest get back to it. Those that can WFH certainly should WFH.

Yep, it is what it is at this point. I guess that the real question then is, what if the data shift and clearly demonstrate that re-opening takes the lid off things?  Do we revert back to shutdown mode, or just let the thing burn through the susceptibles while doing everything we can to isolate those at high risk. I think it's gonna be the latter. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

Yep, it is what it is at this point. I guess that the real question then is, what if the data shift and clearly demonstrate that re-opening takes the lid off things?  Do we revert back to shutdown mode, or just let the thing burn through the susceptibles while doing everything we can to isolate those at high risk. I think it's gonna be the latter. 

I think we've used our one "shutdown."  It's like using your one "phone a friend."  It's smarter to save it as long as you can, but when you gotta use it, you gotta use it.  Just know that once you do, you've got to do the rest of the game the hard way.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....I think that's what we all need to come to grips with: there's NO solution that stops continued infections.  There will always be some risk.  We just have to keep the rate of transmission low enough not to overwhelm our ability to treat the sick.

That's a depressing thing to acknowledge -- that no matter what, more people will get sick, and more people will die.  But it's reality.  Knowing that reality, how do we live in it for the next year or so?

That’s where I’m at.  So accepting that (while not overlooking or forgiving the why behind it), how do I protect my family?  How do I protect them not just from coronavirus, but from isolation induced depression, financial ruin, dumbasses with a violent freedom boner, etc...?  That’s where my mental energy is focused.

There will be a time for a reckoning.  A time to hold those responsible to account.  But right now it’s about being one of the group of people that make it through this intact.  47 Ronin and shit.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think we've used our one "shutdown."  It's like using your one "phone a friend."  It's smarter to save it as long as you can, but when you gotta use it, you gotta use it.  Just know that once you do, you've got to do the rest of the game the hard way.

Yeah, with the caveat that if we do actually start trending towards something appearing to exhaust our medical capacity, I could see a second shutdown. Fortunately we appear to have a lot of overhead in capacity. But shit man.  If it comes to that it is gonna get really nasty on a number of fronts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Glad to have you on board. 

I’ve seen you share a couple posts talking about feeling down and anxious for others and this whole situation. It does suck, but we will get through it. 

I suggest you and others here try to enjoy the summer as much as possible. Go to the beach or the lake or the river or whatever you enjoy outside. Go eat a nice meal somewhere, preferably outside. May I suggest a steak. 😉 

Living in fear about this isn’t the way to do it imo. We can’t take all the risk off the table. Just be smart and live your new modified life. 

And hope we make some advances in the coming months before the next season. 

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. You’re not gonna keep ‘em down on the farm once they’ve seen Karl Hungus...so to speak. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Glad to have you on board. 

I’ve seen you share a couple posts talking about feeling down and anxious for others and this whole situation. It does suck, but we will get through it. 

I've BEEN on board with that, you fuckstick.  One always has to make the best decision from where things are at a given moment.  I just don't have to accept the unnecessary suckitude.  I refuse to normalize it or accept it.  Ever.  We have to do the best we can with where we are right now.  But don't think I've forgotten, or will ever forget, that we ended up where we are now because of a shitload of choices that were made by those in charge.  That many of those choices continue to put selfishness, ego, and narcissism above job 1: protecting and serving the people.  Goddamned right I'm keeping fucking score.  Justice will come, and that right soon.

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

There will be a time for a reckoning.  A time to hold those responsible to account.  But right now it’s about being one of the group of people that make it through this intact.  47 Ronin and shit.

The time for reckoning is now.  Always now.  Sharpen your blades.  We can both survive, and fight.  I intend to do both.  I intend to hold the fucksticks to account.  All of them, and their enablers.  Acceptance of fuckery is a recipe for further fuckery.  I'm done with it.  It's killed tens of thousands of my countrymen, and will kill tens of thousands more.

When some fucksticks killed 3,000 Americans with their asshattery, I thought it was time to raise the black flag and start slitting throats.

Kill 80,000 and counting with your selfish decisions?  We need more black flags.  We need a lotta whetstones for the blades.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That’s where I’m at.  So accepting that (while not overlooking or forgiving the why behind it), how do I protect my family?  How do I protect them not just from coronavirus, but from isolation induced depression, financial ruin, dumbasses with a violent freedom boner, etc...?  That’s where my mental energy is focused.

I guess it depends how old and how vulnerable. Might want to come at this like an insurance assessment.

It's been almost 2 weeks since things began to open up more. I saw where Texas set a record day for infections by 14 percent yesterday. I think where it will really begin to look ugly will be tied more to the 2-3 weeks from mother's day as that is likely when far more people went out and about in groups. 

The name of the game is keeping local outbreaks to a minimum when they happen b/c the are certainly going to happen.  You need some kind of credible rapid response test and trace infrastructure to alert populations when outbreaks pop up in their area.  Otherwise, the virus is going to undo all the precautions we’ve been taking for the past few months and the hospitals will get overwhelmed.

• Like 2

I would have preferred that we had waited for 2 weeks of a pretty pronounced decline in deaths before getting the ball rolling and that Abbott wouldn't have come out the Monday after we got rolling and said fuck it we're opening more stuff this week but I don't have any beef with getting things started.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I've BEEN on board with that, you fuckstick.  One always has to make the best decision from where things are at a given moment.  I just don't have to accept the unnecessary suckitude.  I refuse to normalize it or accept it.  Ever.  We have to do the best we can with where we are right now.  But don't think I've forgotten, or will ever forget, that we ended up where we are now because of a shitload of choices that were made by those in charge.  That many of those choices continue to put selfishness, ego, and narcissism above job 1: protecting and serving the people.  Goddamned right I'm keeping fucking score.  Justice will come, and that right soon.

The time for reckoning is now.  Always now.  Sharpen your blades.  We can both survive, and fight.  I intend to do both.  I intend to hold the fucksticks to account.  All of them, and their enablers.  Acceptance of fuckery is a recipe for further fuckery.  I'm done with it.  It's killed tens of thousands of my countrymen, and will kill tens of thousands more.

When some fucksticks killed 3,000 Americans with their asshattery, I thought it was time to raise the black flag and start slitting throats.

Kill 80,000 and counting with your selfish decisions?  We need more black flags.  We need a lotta whetstones for the blades.

You know it’s my fault I tried to bring some positivity in here. I should’ve known that would be upsetting. I hope you can find some peace. Seriously, go to a state Park.  Go for a long drive. Eat somewhere outside. You can do these things while increasing your risk only minimally  I think it would do your mindset a lot of good.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I empathize, I really do, but what exactly are you going to do about it?  Start voting from the rooftops?

34 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The name of the game is keeping local outbreaks to a minimum when they happen b/c the are certainly going to happen.  You need some kind of credible rapid response test and trace infrastructure to alert populations when outbreaks pop up in their area.  Otherwise, the virus is going to undo all the precautions we’ve been taking for the past few months and the hospitals will get overwhelmed.

I’m becoming more and more confident that our hospitals will not be overwhelmed. I guess it depends on your definition of overwhelmed. Look at what happened in NY. They made it to the other side despite having maybe the worst natural conditions for spread of the virus as well as bad policy decisions (encouraging people to congregate well into time when it was not advisable, not closing or attempting to disinfect the subways for weeks into the outbreak,  sending infected patients back to nursing homes) that exacerbated things. 

58 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is an interesting take. So an anti Trump would’ve prevented all the deaths? Now that’s some grade A dumbfuckery. 

Imo the number one decision that would’ve most helped the US would’ve been restricting travel from Europe as soon as we did from China. Trump has done a lot of dumb shit, but I don’t think any politician would’ve done that. Even if Trump had been smart enough to do that, he would’ve encountered all kinds of backlash there. Then you throw in local govt screwups (see above) and it lead to New York blowing up and seeding a lot (most?) of the country. Then the testing debacle has impeded Things from there. 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

I guess it depends on your definition of overwhelmed. Look at what happened in NY.

They had the US military convert their convention center to a hospital that was supposed to be for non-C19 patients but the hospitals were so strained that the Javitz center became a C19 only facility.  

46 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You know it’s my fault I tried to bring some positivity in here. I should’ve known that would be upsetting. I hope you can find some peace. Seriously, go to a state Park.  Go for a long drive. Eat somewhere outside. You can do these things while increasing your risk only minimally  I think it would do your mindset a lot of good.

I do all of those things.  And they help keep me on balance.

But I'll never excuse the evil that's been inflicted on my countrymen, in the name of ego, selfishness, and depraved narcissism.  I'll keep feeling this way, thank you very much.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They had the US military convert their convention center to a hospital that was supposed to be for non-C19 patients but the hospitals were so strained that the Javitz center became a C19 only facility.  

Correct. And that was the worst case environment. It was a terrible situation, but I think it’s pretty clear other metro areas that had outbreaks weren’t as bad. New York was a unique case because of the conditions there. 

On 5/13/2020 at 6:13 AM, Hookah Horns said:

Would have been great if you or the clerk asked him where it's written that he has the right to be served by a business despite refusing to adhere to said business's policies. And then asked him where his dumb ass was educated. 

I remember nearly every business had one of these while I was growing up.  My dad told me most were there to keep places segregated.  (His store didn't have one, btw).  Now people need them to keep out the loudmouth entitled wypipo they originally intended to protect.   

right-to-refuse-service-osha-notice-sign

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

False dichotomy (would we ever expect anything OTHER than a logical fallacy from a Trump apologist?  It's your native fucking tongue). 

People were going to die.  Not AS MANY needed to die.  Healthcare workers were going to have thin supplies of PPE.  Didn't need to be as thin as it ended up being.   Testing was going to be a challenge.  Starting with an admin that LITERALLY SAID IT WAS OPPOSED TO TESTING BECAUSE IT MADE "THE NUMBERS LOOK BAD" put us behind the fucking eight ball.

Bad would be bad enough.

Horribad, so bad that the rest of the world looks at us and shakes its goddamned head....that's where we are, and horribad didn't have to happen.  But keep carrying water for him.  It only puts you further and further on the wrong side of history.  

It’s literally what you put Brisket.

80,000 and counting with selfish decisions. 

Whatever. You’ll stay mad. 

Go smoke a joint. Or beg your wife for a Bj. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

Just now, HenryJames said:

Any administration would have put Jared Kushner in charge of the government’s response.

exactly. That was Obama’s plan too. When the Trump team opened the pandemic plan Obama left behind it was just an envelope with this: 

DFh0PvWW0AE9O3n.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Do you think that with a different president in charge the results would have been as bad? Because if you do then you’re simply lying. This has been a failure in every way from our president and it has caused more deaths than we otherwise would have seen.

Trump has not done a good job. I’ve never said he did with this. Like ever.