Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

giphy.gif

Texas gop is just too lazy or incompetent to change their website which shows the convention being held this past week. A quick search on google says it’s been moved to July. As for them not allowing face masks or whatever, she seems to just be making that up. 

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Texas gop is just too lazy or incompetent to change their website which shows the convention being held this past week. A quick search on google says it’s been moved to July. As for them not allowing face masks or whatever, she seems to just be making that up. 

It's correct on the convention website...

https://www.texasgop.org/2020-state-convention/

Now I feel like I need to take a shower after defending the Texas GOP.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

It's correct on the convention website...

https://www.texasgop.org/2020-state-convention/

Now I feel like I need to take a shower after defending the Texas GOP.

Ah.  They have more than one page on their site.  I stand behind that they’re incompetent. Google took me to this link.
https://www.texasgop.org/convention/

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Bojack said:

These are the shrimp and grits I made last week.  I use carrots and Vienna sausage so every bite is a surprise.  I'm happy to share the recipe.  

Slow-Cooked-Sosig-and-Mash-by-Terri-T.jp

Lol. 

I ended up not doing shrimp and grits. Had pizza instead. But do yourself a favor and just follow the Tyler Florence recipe. It’s excellent every time. You can’t screw it up. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/ultimate-shrimp-and-grits-recipe-2012596

On 5/16/2020 at 9:21 AM, VRHorn said:

As many have said, you are out of your element, so just stop.

You're just showing me that people will choose to go to places or not, and are much smarter than brisket makes them out to be. Just because people themselves aren't going, doesn't mean the state didn't do anything to grow the unemployment numbers we see.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:15 AM, workswithseed said:

I like when you say I'm lying about how you put your sentence together, you make the word "destroy," in my sentence to mean that the economy will never come back. Seems like you're no better then I.

All this started cause you didn't think I know what made an economy, and since I proved you wrong there, you're trying to throw shit at me hoping that I'll cower away. Well fuck that.

“If the economy doesn’t recover in my lifetime” as proof that you are wrong?  Tough beat man. 

I was curious about trends so created the following. Disclaimer: there isn't a single source of truth in terms of the exact day a case is reported but a rolling average should remove discrepancies.

ih9ixypW_o.png

Sunday was a very good day in terms of lower new cases and deaths but Sundays are frequently the lowest day of the week.  Hopefully the crazy Amarillo #s don't spike again and we will see a drop in new case averages by the end of the week.

8 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Starting 5/22, restaurants can increase to 50% capacity, and bars and breweries can open at 25% capacity.

Starting 5/31, youth camps, sport camps and little leagues can resume. 

Lulz. We’re not even trying to make it look like we’re trying. 

Abott presser going on now. Announcing updates and additional re-opening plans. Says based on positive test rates and hospitalization numbers, Texas is ready to enter "Phase 2."

See this is why they didn't release any guidelines. Positive test rates and hospitalizations have not decreased in any meaningful way. We certainly don't meet the federal guidance (not that the federal government is encouraging that in any real way). Nothing short of Donald Trump changing his mind would've stopped any of this from moving forward.

At this point the lack of transparency bothers me as much as the plan, or lack thereof.

If u still think the govt is doing anything but trying to get to herd immunity as fast as possible, then u havent been paying attention

we intervened wayyyy too late at the beginning of this. Now, herd immunity is the only way out. You bet ur ass the govt knows this and wants to open up fast as hell so they can let this virus spread quicker

otherwise, we have 1-2 more years of this shit

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If u still think the govt is doing anything but trying to get to herd immunity as fast as possible, then u havent been paying attention

we intervened wayyyy too late at the beginning of this. Now, herd immunity is the only way out. You bet ur ass the govt knows this and wants to open up fast as hell so they can let this virus spread quicker

Epidemiologist the other night on CNN said it was more like 3-4 years to get to herd immunity.  So we got that going for us.  Which is nice.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

It must be working. In the past week, 3 of my co-workers and 2 family members have tested positive. But I’m sure it’s because of more testing and not their desire to go to TJ Maxx.

Tell me if I’m understanding herd immunity wrong, but doesnt it involve having a majority of people get the virus, recover, and then they can no longer get it? Usually by way of vaccine, that we don’t currently have and only 1 percent of the population has tested positive for? 

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Abbott has adopted the Trump press conference model where every official who speaks starts out by praising Abbott.

After just watching Abbott with the Lt. Gov and Speaker in the house, it must be time to open the State Capitol building and the governor's mansion to visitors. Let thousands of people wander through each day, coughing, touching everything etc...

23 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Tell me if I’m understanding herd immunity wrong, but doesnt it involve having a majority of people get the virus, recover, and then they can no longer get it? Usually by way of vaccine, that we don’t currently have and only 1 percent of the population has tested positive for? 

Sort of.  Yes, the healthy would need to be allowed to proceed as usual and become infected and hopefully recover, whereby they would have develop anti-bodies which would help protect people from either becoming infected again or if they were to get it a 2nd time, it would be much more tolerable.  However, it does not mean you can no longer get it, nor does it mean you're immune, but it's a way of hoping the body's natural defenses can insulate from outbreaks.  Meanwhile, you have to ferociously socially distant or quarantine the 'at risk' demographics or communities -- i.e. the elderly, the immune compromised, folks in poor health, etc.

There was a study in Boston which came out last week whereby they tested all around the city and found about 9.9% of the population had the proper anti-bodies.  Herd immunity is generally considered to be attained at about 60% of the population and more safely, 70%.  So we'd have a long way to go.  Herd immunity basically comes with the stipulations that thinning the herd is going to happen and folks just have to be content with deaths especially from that 'at risk' demographic, but that the healthy should survive and you don't have to disrupt lifestyle as greatly.

At least the way it's been described to me.  I'm sure there's more technical definitions and obviously we welcome them.

For folks who haven't seen:

Opening up but ignoring his own set guidelines..... Basically, just said, "Fuck it".  People want to party...

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The most concerning thing about the Texas response is I fear it will not matter how bad their numbers get, they’re not going to change from the path they’re on. The data and deaths simply will not inspire any change in policy.  

Oh this is it. Another shutdown isn’t gonna happen. At least not from the governor. Counties and cities will try if we see spikes again, but our indicted Attorney General is very concerned with the legality of shutdowns 🤨

Our path has been determined. We’re opening this bitch no matter what. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Oh this is it. Another shutdown isn’t gonna happen. At least not from the governor. Counties and cities will try if we see spikes again, but our indicted Attorney General is very concerned with the legality of shutdowns 🤨

Our path has been determined. We’re opening this bitch no matter what. 

Next we'll see an attempt to fudge/cover-up/obscure the data re: deaths. 

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Next we'll see an attempt to fudge/cover-up/obscure the data re: deaths. 

Hmmm......

Oh really.....

Well, let's just take Wheels word on it.....

This is similar to what Arizona was doing last month until they got busted for it...... 

• Like 2

So all this before we've even gotten past the lag point in hospitalization and death from the "phase 1" open. Not even waiting for the data to catch up. 

I know a lot of us here are in Texas. Good luck to everyone. Talk to your family. Make any peace that needs to be made now just in case. God speed 

Edited by Wanker Bob

The most concerning thing about the Texas response is I fear it will not matter how bad their numbers get, they’re not going to change from the path they’re on. The data and deaths simply will not inspire any change in policy.  
Yep. It's why there are no guidelines. The only thing that would change the course of action is Trump changing his mind.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yep. It's why there are no guidelines. The only thing that would change the course of action is Trump changing his mind.

deaths won't matter, dan patrick already said so 

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:
12 hours ago, zork said:

I, for one, am shocked zork frequents texags.

Their politics board gives a different perspective than here.  If it isn't pro Democrat it mostly isn't posted here.  BTW, I'm not trying to change that or anyone.  I haven't signed up over there nor do I plan on it.

Also, of note, their real estate board generally has good perspective and much higher volume of posts on the topic than the few all encompassing threads here(observation over time, not a criticism).  The rest, if I read any of it, is mostly schadenfreude. 

Gym was way less busy this morning compared to yesterday morning.  Not sure if it was just the thrill of going back yesterday or the typical Monday morning crowd.  

This morning is what I was hoping it would be like.  While most people were not wearing masks, fewer folks meant everyone was more spread out. 

While in line, I chatted with the guy behind me who didn't know they changed the hours.  I'm not sure how, but the convo turned to how this isn't a big deal and everyone is overreacting and we need to get back to normal right now.  Soon as he said the phrase "this isn't a big deal" I turned around and started playing on my phone.  Not here to hear that fox news nonsense bruh.