Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Strict liability.  If you are cited and convicted for not wearing a mask on a particular day, and a person who had contact with you on that day comes down with COVID, you are strictly liable (in a civil action) for causing their illness.  It creates a legal presumption that you gave it to them. Takes away the proof problem.  And creates a strong incentive to wear your damn mask.

Apologies if this had already been addressed... but you’ve lost your fucking mind.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

But of course, mask wearing has become a culture war issue.  Wear a mask in close quarters?  Shit, I would rather kneel for the anthem.  My mask-free face is a symbol of my individuality and my belief in a personal freedom.

It was easy to see it coming: Trump advised mask wearing when the recommendation started, but also went out of his way to state that he would certainly not be wearing one.  Pence tours a Covid ward and is the only person who can't be bothered to wear one.  Trump tours a mask factory, refusing to wear a mask.  Cities like San Antonio and Austin put teeth into mask ordinances, only to have Gov. Hot Wheels (after putting his finger in the air to see which way the conservative wind was blowing) completely gut local control by making it an unenforceable recommendation.  

The new study from Austria shows that mask wearing reduces Covid transmission by 90%.  It should be an easy sell, Golden Rule issue for the already-vulnerable MAGA crowd.  But, they have confused something that is a minor inconvenience for the collective good with the concept of "fighting tyranny."  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

In collin county what I've observed at least among the White, Hispanic, and Black populations it's more like 3 to 10 percent wearing masks. Among the Asian population it's about 80 to 90 percent wearing masks. 

I doubt statewide is anywhere near 30% people wearing masks. If he made the law on mandatory masks and flipped it to seventy to eighty percent of people wore masks, if for no other reason than to avoid a $500 fine, we could probably reopen a lot more and keep the medical system safe. It's sheer stupidity at this point. 

From my observations, Collin County is no bueno on this, both from a leadership perspective and a citizen participation perspective.

i thought the one bite rule was england's exception because it didn't have rabies.  everywhere else put your dog down immediately.  in england the dog was allowed to bite once.

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

He went to work responsibly? Has he said don't wear masks or some such?

Well, the thing is, he wore that mask on March 4 prior to voting on the emergency appropriations funding. He later walked the publicity stunt back after not only being exposed to a positive COVID carrier, but also getting into an argument on Fox with Christopher Hahn, and then one of his constituents passing away from the virus.  It was a PR stunt by someone with a sophomoric sense of humor and entitlement and he was only sorry after the fire got too hot for him.

Some context:

March 4: 158 cases; 11 deaths

April 4: 311,544 cases; 8488 deaths

May 4: 1,180,288 cases; 68,922 deaths

You may excuse him for that petty childish behavior when by March 4, Kelly Loeffler had already dumped her stock over a month earlier and the seriousness of the virus was more than apparent due to briefings to the Senate and the House by intel committees and the CDC,  but I won't. He and the GOP have been sorry assed, dishonest, and boorish during a time when American citizens are suffering from a variety of misfortunes due to this pandemic.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

He went to work responsibly? Has he said don't wear masks or some such?

Lulz holy shit. Is this a broke ass Ana routine? You have to be more subtle, you can't both sides hilariously dumb shit like Gaetz's actions. You'll get there... 

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Not really sure what all of this "let's have a conversation" is supposed to mean. We're a republic because we're larger than a village and thus have too many people to make direct democracy work. So, we elect a bunch of people who are supposed to figure out what to do in situations like this. They're supposed to have personnel and protocols in place to weigh the costs and benefits of various alternatives and determine the best course of action.  But nearly every place Republicans are in charge, they've largely decided to wing it. To the extent they really care about anything, they've been motivated by helping businesses, but they don't even really want to think through what would help businesses. It's just too much work for them and apparently thinking hurts their brains, so they just decided to go with a shitload of wishful thinking. 

The answer to the problem wasn't going to be easy, but it was always simple: Lock down for a time, use that time to surge hospital capacity, the production of necessary supplies and equipment, and test and trace capabilities, and develop effective logistics to ensure that everything gets delivered to those who need it. While locked down, the government could backstop everything: suspend mortgages and rent, guarantee payroll, etc. A real testing and tracing system would give people confidence that, when things re-opened, the risk of going back out in the world would be minimal and more federal aid at that point would've been unnecessary.

Of course, that all would have required competent messaging from our officials explaining why we need to lock down and what that time will give us the opportunity to do, and real diligence from government officials at all levels to make sure all that shit got done. However, Republican officials in most states are simply incapable of doing anything with competence and the ones that are capable of competence recognize that actually doing their job competently would put the lie to their decades of propaganda about how government can't do anything right. So this is what we got. The closest we've come to accomplishing any of what we needed to do while locked down is that we've ramped up hospital capacity (though it's not clear if we've done enough) and established a black market by which cities, states, and hospitals can acquire a fraction of the supplies they need at extortionate costs, which go into the pockets of politically connected GOP donors. There's been no real effort to establish a capable testing and tracing system that would allow us to safely re-open in phases. You still can't find any fucking hand sanitizer on store shelves. 

Nevertheless, we're trying to YOLO this shit and using the threat of cutting off unemployment benefits to force retail and service workers back to jobs in dangerous conditions, in the hope that business will just magically return to normal for everyone if we pretend that it's all done. But very few people are actually going to pretend. Many of us are going to stay in our homes most to all of the time. So those stores and restaurants that now have to re-open because they've got to pay rent are going to be incurring normal operating costs but only bringing in a fraction of the revenue they need, because most people don't feel safe to go out. And those people who do go out are going to spread covid not just among themselves but also to those we've forced back to work, many of whom live with at-risk family members, and to the medical professionals who inevitably have to treat them. So we're going to see a new spike in cases, when it happens everyone will panic again, and we'll probably end up shutting shit back down again for an indeterminate length of time. And we'll probably repeat the same stupid pattern until a vaccine is produced in sufficient quantities to inoculate most people. This slapdash bullshit doesn't help anyone because it's not a choice between keeping everyone healthy and keeping the economy healthy. If we had done it right, we could've endured a few months of pain and then recovered relatively quickly. Instead, we're going to see a death toll in the hundreds of thousands and the economy is going to sink into a depression. All because Republicans don't want anyone to realize that anything better was actually possible. 

There is no way to rep this enough. Darwinism isn't survival of the fittest. It's survival of the most adaptable. Conservatism is an obstinate toddler who refuses to accept time will not stand still and demands subsequent generations, with their whole lives ahead, acquiesce to serfdom so that they can get one last lick at re-living their warped rosy-colored memories of the Chocolate Waterfall at some shitty Golden Corral, fuck to everything they leave behind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

There is no way to rep this enough. Darwinism isn't survival of the fittest. It's survival of the most adaptable. Conservatism is an obstinate toddler who refuses to accept time will not stand still and demands subsequent generations, with their whole lives ahead, acquiesce to serfdom so that they can get one last lick at re-living their warped rosy-colored memories of the Chocolate Waterfall at some shitty Golden Corral, fuck to everything they leave behind.

That's certainly what conservatism has become.  It never should have been that way.

The idea of going backward fucked everything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

From my observations, Collin County is no bueno on this, both from a leadership perspective and a citizen participation perspective.

Yeah it's horrible. These rubes are ridiculously stupid. Going to be driving down to Dallas to do my shopping (outside of H Mart) for the foreseeable future

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

Gyms open on the 18th. Salons open Friday I think.

I heard on radio salons were opening Friday. I went to a spa/salon today, to purchase a gift card for mother’s day.  They had apparently, already opened.  I paid and gtfo there.  Wife likely going to wait a month or so before she uses it. Cutting hair, ~10 people in the little lobby.  Fuckers couldn’t wait 2 more days?  I’m West of Houston. 

15 hours ago, Pancho said:

Gyms open on the 18th. Salons open Friday I think.

I will probably return to the gym on the 18th. It’s a CrossFit gym so it’s smaller. They put up an Instagram post with some info and that they will be limiting class sizes but offering more classes throughout the day with sanitization, temperature checks, and more outside workouts. I figure by the 18th we should see some of the effects from the May 1st openings. 

15 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I will probably return to the gym on the 18th. It’s a CrossFit gym so it’s smaller. They put up an Instagram post with some info and that they will be limiting class sizes but offering more classes throughout the day with sanitization, temperature checks, and more outside workouts. I figure by the 18th we should see some of the effects from the May 1st openings. 

Yeah, I’ve already decided I’m going back on the 18th, but my gym is a large chain. 

I’ll probably do early ass morning workouts as that was the time the gym was least busy anyway.  It will be interesting to see how they handle the 25% occupancy rule. 

39 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Negged.

28 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I mean you know a crossfitter is obligated to mention it every time the topic of the gym comes up right?

It's the first rule of Cross Fit.

The problem with mandatory is that it 100% creates the scenario of what do you do with the 1-2% of the public who will refuse the order based on personal freedom ideals. No one wants to police and ultimately arrest them or anyone.  

Same thing you do with people who don’t wear their seatbelt. You give them a ticket.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Dan Patrick paid the fine for that Dallas salon lady who was jailed. 

Can't make this shit up if you tried. 

https://www.kgns.tv/content/news/Two-arrested-for-allegedly-violating--569720721.html

got to give ward credit for talking about this. these two were arrested last week for operating out of their own home. is dan patrick going to pay their fine? there was no furor for mata and castro-garcia being arrested in a targeted sting in laredo. well, until it hit a well-off white blonde lady in north dallas, then i guess it's time to worry about it.

43 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Fuck the gym right now. Spend a few hundred bucks on kettlebells and skip that shit for a few more months. 

32 minutes ago, softlynow said:

fifm

Fifm and the rest of us who loathe working out at all.

28 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

https://www.kgns.tv/content/news/Two-arrested-for-allegedly-violating--569720721.html

got to give ward credit for talking about this. these two were arrested last week for operating out of their own home. is dan patrick going to pay their fine? there was no furor for mata and castro-garcia being arrested in a targeted sting in laredo. well, until it hit a well-off white blonde lady in north dallas, then i guess it's time to worry about it.

Maybe if they changed their last name to something, I dunno, less hispanic?   Like Patrick?  

48 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Greg Abbott: “Hold my beer, Dan.”

Setting aside for a moment the question whether Abbott can supersede local virus orders and the penalties for violation, I don't see how he could possibly curtail the contempt power of a civil court.

I don't believe any of Dallas' orders call for a jail penalty.

This broad violated an injunction of a civil court.  Sometimes, in the practice of law, you have to do that in order to appeal aspects of the court's injunction.  This isn't one of those cases.  She's just being an asshole.

News flash:  Shelly Luther is an asshole attention horse and Abbott and Paxton are disingenuous Trumpists.

• Like 1