Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

Brian could have clarified point #3 a little better (from the report)...

“The surviving contemporary accounts don’t allow a direct, definitive answer. Neither the printed program for the show nor reviews afterward identified cast members as specifically wearing blackface or not. No photographs from the show have been found.”

Brian Davis can get fucked

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

The song isn't going anywhere and never was. 

I'd like to hear what Quan has to say about things and the committee.   The guy is practical and full of common sense so I'm interested to hear his feedback.

Of former players who are on the radio I really enjoy Quan and Babers opinions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

It allows players to opt-out and not stick around for a song they don't want to venerate.

That's progress.

So is that going to be your dog shit talking point from now on since you were completely wrong about the eyes going away? Haha you win but I can still say this! 

you’re such a fucking pussy. Like you probably shake a guys hand and thank them after they make you watch them fuck your wife. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

So is that going to be your dog shit talking point from now on since you were completely wrong about the eyes going away? Haha you win but I can still say this! 

you’re such a fucking pussy. Like you probably shake a guys hand and thank them after they make you watch them fuck your wife. 

I still believe it will be retired. That's not going to change.

Just now, David Dennison said:

You're wrong.

Incorrect.  And the players not staying for it over the past year proves it.  I'm sorry today is so hard for you, being so blatantly, completely, 100% wrong and having to pick up those heavy goalposts and move them so far so you can twist something out of it to say "that's progress" proves that this really sticks in your craw.

Now...

go away gtfo GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Horn of Gabriel said:

Incorrect.  And the players not staying for it over the past year proves it.  I'm sorry today is so hard for you, being so blatantly, completely, 100% wrong and having to pick up those heavy goalposts and move them so far so you can twist something out of it to say "that's progress" proves that this really sticks in your craw.

Now...

go away gtfo GIF

You are wrong.

It's funny seeing grown men in here spiking the football over a silly little song, but whatever.

I don't think this dumb controversy is going away yet unfortunately, a significant segment of the fanbase seems to have convinced themselves that the song has racist origins and I don't see this report changing most of their minds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Do people not understand pretty much every song was sung with people in blackface during that time period. If they sung happy birthday to someone in the audience while in blackface, does that make happy birthday racist?

This gets back to that whole nuance and understanding of human history. The idiot brigade will never have it and they'll never be happy. This is why you never give in to them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

It's funny seeing grown men in here spiking the football over a silly little song, but whatever.

I don't think this dumb controversy is going away yet unfortunately, a significant segment of the fanbase seems to have convinced themselves that the song has racist origins and I don't see this report changing most of their minds.

I'm just spiking the football on David Dennisons corpse of an opinion on it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

It might flare up here and there but with the nature of the news cycle they'll be something new to be outraged about quickly.

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

It might flare up here and there but with the nature of the news cycle they'll be something new to be outraged about quickly.

It won't be that much of an issue now that players have the freedom to leave the field or court when the song is being played. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

It won't be that much of an issue now that players have the freedom to leave the field or court when the song is being played. 

Hey I have a question. You said it was a fact the song is directly tied to Robert E Lee. Can you provide evidence to the contrary of the report that states it does not? I mean you clearly stated it did as fact. Please post evidence. Thanks again!

THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU!

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Do people not understand pretty much every song was sung with people in blackface during that time period. If they sung happy birthday to someone in the audience while in blackface, does that make happy birthday racist?

Anything that old can be tied to racism in some way or another. We'd all hate our great grandparents. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It probably was sung in blackface given the era.  It was not written with minstrely lyrics ridiculing black dialect like "Shortenin' Bread". I think both are true.

Minstrel shows were the entertainment of the day up until tv and radio became common.  So if you want to ban songs sung at minstrel shows, that means you probably have to cancel every song written before 1930.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Hey I have a question. You said it was a fact the song is directly tied to Robert E Lee. Can you provide evidence to the contrary of the report that states it does not? I mean you clearly stated it did as fact. Please post evidence. Thanks again!

Throwing T.U. Taylor under the bus is a nice touch.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Facts are not friendly to our little social justice cupcakes.  Can someone help DD find a safe space?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 3/6/2021 at 5:20 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Had he not, this would not be nearly as big an issue as it is now. I understand why he did what he did, but at what cost? 

I wish we had won the game and all the players had stayed on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1