Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

Interestingly the only recruit the EOT and Sam/OU controversy has cost us was Quinn Ewers because he mistakenly thought his team had abandoned him.

Proving two things...

1.) Information matters

2.) Recruits really care more about winning and getting to the NFL

Edited by maninblack
  • Hook 'Em 3

kind of amazing there hasn't been a stink about renaming the Cotton Bowl. does anything out there have more of a slavery and racism association than cotton? for that matter, why isn't there a call to end the use of cotton in clothing and other products. how are people not offended when they see people wearing jeans? it is only a matter of time. it is coming.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, po elvis said:

kind of amazing there hasn't been a stink about renaming the Cotton Bowl. does anything out there have more of a slavery and racism association than cotton? for that matter, why isn't there a call to end the use of cotton in clothing and other products. how are people not offended when they see people wearing jeans? it is only a matter of time. it is coming.

Great stuff. It’s like whatever happens during the course of the day this thread has to find a way to revert back to dipshittery equilibrium. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

Please don’t do this 

3 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I'm sure people did and they were wrong too.  Lots of assumptions were made against that picture without the context, and almost all of them were wrong.  And I'll add this: if some of the players didn't want to participate in singing the EOT, I'm fine with that - no one ever has, nor ever will force anyone else to sing that song.  Just like I support those who want to keel during the anthem to make their point.  However the "rewrite not reclaim" crowd isn't going for that, they want the disassociation of the EOT and the University.  So for all DD's false posturing of "no one trying to take the Eyes away from you," the opposite is actually true.  And it's mostly based on lies that got repeated into truths. 

I do think it's reasonable for the team to at least stand with the fans during the official school song, even if they don't want to sing it.  But if someone really doesn't want to even participate in that, ok.  LHB can get fucked however, they have one job as the school's band and that's to play the school's song.  Anyone who can't handle that should be dismissed or quit to stand for their own principles. /ex-LHB

If the middle ground decision is “it’ll be played and if you don’t want to stay on the field after the game, you don’t have to” - I am 100% fine with that. They shouldn’t be forced to stay and participate. And no one should be mad at them if they choose not to.

Not every players has a pic of themselves doing hook ‘em horns as a toddler. Some are here because they want to exposure and the coaching by Sark. They don’t give a fuck about the EOT and that’s fine. College football is a business nowadays. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Holy shit. I didn’t realize how fucked this is.

From the Tribune article: ““It was really eye opening,” Overshown said. “These are some high-power people that come to see you play and they can keep you from getting a job in the state of Texas. It was shocking that they said that. To this day I still think back to the moment. They really used that as a threat to get us to try to do what they wanted us to do.””

This is no longer about the EOT, a tradition I had hoped would survive. It’s about the message that playing for Texas could potentially fuck up your future. What am I missing?

The bed is shat. The pooch is fucked. Cant have nice things. EABOD. DIAF. 

Here, GS:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2021/03/03/ut-austin-eyes-of-texas-donors/amp/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

From the Tribune article: ““It was really eye opening,” Overshown said. “These are some high-power people that come to see you play and they can keep you from getting a job in the state of Texas. It was shocking that they said that. To this day I still think back to the moment. They really used that as a threat to get us to try to do what they wanted us to do.””

This is no longer about the EOT, a tradition I had hoped would survive. It’s about the message that playing for Texas could potentially fuck up your future. What am I missing?

Here, GS:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2021/03/03/ut-austin-eyes-of-texas-donors/amp/

the big lebowski dude GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

If that was said to Overshown first hand or through university officials -- it is unclear to me what he is alleging -- whoever said it or emailed it should be identified and their exact words published. It would be funny to see who thinks they are powerful enough to stop someone from getting a job in this state.  Ain't no one got that kind of stroke. And I am betting it is some slap dick who isn't in our top group of money men.

It seems to me the vast majority of people complaining were just threatening to pull their charitable donations to the athletic department if the Eyes was pulled.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Let's make a deal.  When that happens, I'll stop posting.  Until that happens you stay in the cloak room.

Why are some of you so threatened by DD having an opinion or making his guess?  Sure he’s a beating but the whining about him is far more annoying. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Here, GS:
Reading the article it seems a few dipshit donors (all it takes is one to actually verbalize it, then it becomes "all") were threatening job opportunities of players who didnt stay on the field for the eyes, but it seems most were just threatening to pull donations..such as money for the SEZ and other things. Not as bad, but still bad optics.

3 hours ago, sheeeit said:

Just one quick comment on minstrel shows.  People have to understand that there is no common type of "minstrel" show.  The ones in Texas at the time were much more akin to variety shows than anything related to racism.  Most had no performers in black face at all.  

Per the info found when this shit came up previously, the author of the song wanted to make a school song and poke fun at the current UT Pres.  The song was NOT created to be performed at a minstrel show.  It was not created by people associated with putting on the minstrel show.  It had exactly nothing to do with the show.  The truth is that in those times there was literally almost no way for the song creators to perform it for an audience that included the school president except at the minstrel shows.  The only reason it was performed there was because the creators knew that the school president would be in attendance.  Thats it.  The Lee association stuff is stupidly ignorant.  The minstrel show connection has been taken wildly out of context.  There just isnt anything there.

The reality is that a professor stirred up racial animosity during an emotional time on campus and convinced some 18-22 year olds that something was racist and none of the 18-22 year olds spent any time researching the facts for themselves.  I dont blame the 18-22 year olds.  And I dont blame the professor.  Just pointing out what happened.  My guess is that all of this will be pointed out in the report.

I completely disagree with those that are saying that because something offends a particular group that other people have no right to question them.  Of course they have the right to do that and they should do that.  I am not talking about criticising them or belittling them or anything similar.  I am saying that the offended group needs to have all of the relevant facts before making snap judgments.  Allowing traditions and other things to be cancelled based on extremely weak or made up or taken out of context information, is always bad.  I especially think those that maintain that they personally do not think the song is racist but think it needs to go because some of the players think it is are lacking in character.  If you believe in something and you have researched all of the relevant facts about it and still feel that way then you should never back down.  Because you may not care about the song or other types of traditions but one day this same thing will happen to something that you do care about.

"In March 1903, while Johnson was in the University Post Office in the old Main Building, Sinclair arrived, grinned, handed Johnson a folded scrap of brown laundry paper, and left. On it, scribbled in pencil with scratched-out lines and corrections, was the first draft of a poem:

They watch above you all the day, The bright blue eyes of Texas. At midnight they're with you all the way, The sleepless eyes of Texas.

The Eyes of Texas are upon you, All the livelong day. The eyes of Texas are upon you, They're with you all the way. They watch you through the peaceful night, They watch you in the early dawn, When from the eastern skies the high light Tells that the night is gone.

Sing me a song of Texas, And Texas' myriad eyes Countless as the bright stars That fill the midnight skies.

Vandyke brown, vermillion, Sepia, Prussian blue, Ivory black and crimson lac, And eyes of every hue."

https://www.texasexes.org/about-us/history-and-traditions/eyes-texas

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
16 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Here, GS:

Reading the article it seems a few dipshit donors (all it takes is one to actually verbalize it, then it becomes "all") were threatening job opportunities of players who didnt stay on the field for the eyes, but it seems most were just threatening to pull donations..such as money for the SEZ and other things. Not as bad, but still bad opticsl.

I don't think threatening to pull donations is bad optics at all.  The athletic department is not entitled to that money. You want to cave to the mob on the Eyes, which on objections which are a bunch of silly bullshit, then donors who care about it are justified in spending their charitable dollars elsewhere. 

If someone told players or told someone who told players they would never work in Texas because they objected to the Eyes, then those people should be called out and ridiculed.  And it would be funny to see who actually did it. Because that is an empty threat. I have a sneaking suspicion anyone who did that employs less than 20 people anyway.

Eyes should stay. Athletes should stay on field while it is being sung.  They can choose to sing or not.  I hope most do, but certainly won't throw a fit is some don't.  Just stand there for two minutes and then be on your way.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

If someone told players or told someone who told players they would never work in Texas because they objected to the Eyes, then those people should be called out and ridiculed.  And it would be funny to see who actually did it. Because that is an empty threat. I have a sneaking suspicion anyone who did that employs less than 20 people anyway.

Here’s one, have at him. Hell, Mark might be on this thread somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Why are some of you so threatened by DD having an opinion or making his guess?  Sure he’s a beating but the whining about him is far more annoying. 

Who's threatened?  When I want to see his bs I'll go to the CR.  It's not like he's hugo or futureman who I put on mute or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Here’s one, have at him. Hell, Mark might be on this thread somewhere. 

Just a quick google search shows he's a landman in Midland.  Doubt he is signing the front of checks, and if he is it is not many and no threat to Thompson.

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/5914f6b1add7b0493499135b

"Starting off you life after football."  

Wow Mark, you are just a straight shooter with "next-to-be-laid-off" written all over you.  We all have valid opinions on the song, but don't target individual players.  Particularly when the extent of your LHF account is "went in with some co-workers on yardline seats back in Herman's first year."  Your services are no longer needed...on this planet.  Please exit through the gift shop. 

Edited by Lobo

I especially think those that maintain that they personally do not think the song is racist but think it needs to go because some of the players think it is are lacking in character. 

Listening to black people is low character.

Some embarrassing motherfuckers on this board.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

I don't think threatening to pull donations is bad optics at all.  The athletic department is not entitled to that money. You want to cave to the mob on the Eyes, which on objections which are a bunch of silly bullshit, then donors who care about it are justified in spending their charitable dollars elsewhere. 
Eyes should stay. Athletes should stay on field while it is being sung.  They can choose to sing or not.  I hope most do, but certainly won't throw a fit is some don't.  Just stand there for two minutes and then be on your way.

If they want to donate fine. But talking to the PLAYERS about it is bullshit. If they want to whine about it then get a dog, or call CDC.
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Just a quick google search shows he's a landman in Midland.  Doubt he is signing the front of checks, and if he is it is not many and no threat to Thompson.

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/5914f6b1add7b0493499135b

Whether Mark Hardwick is personally in a position to offer Josh Thompson a job isn’t really the point though. 

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, Nivek said:

If they want to donate fine. But talking to the PLAYERS about it is bullshit. If they want to whine about it then get a dog, or call CDC.

Did anyone talk directly to the players?  Over shown was vague.  Seems like he was saying he heard it through a school official and not directly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Did anyone talk directly to the players?  Over shown was vague.  Seems like he was saying he heard it through a school official and not directly.  
It was a bit more vague than that, but nobody associated with UT should even be implying such things. But of course we don't know what was said..

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

It was a bit more vague than that, but nobody associated with UT should even be implying such things. But of course we don't know what was said..

I think it should be examined.  Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The song will stay until it is retired by the University. We can agree on that.

Why would the University go through the process of initiating an investigation of the song with a multi-background committee, that according to some will make a recommendation to keep the song, but to only have the University ultimately retire it?  Is your crystal ball better than the school's?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mininghorn88 said:

Why would the University go through the process of initiating an investigation of the song with a multi-background committee, that according to some will make a recommendation to keep the song, but to only have the University ultimately retire it?  Is your crystal ball better than the school's?

Is DD Mike Roach?

19 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Because that's how politics works. 

Edited by David Dennison
  • Fuck You 2