2020 MLB thread

ss13

4 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I don't follow prospects as well as many of you, but there seems to be some hype on this kid.

Contrary to what this board thinks, my prospect knowledge is about a 70 on the 20-80 scale. I love reading up on the prospects every year, and seeing who the top HS and college players are. I remember Bart from the 2018 draft. Haven’t followed his career much. His stats are decent but he’s always screamed “average player” to me. I’d put his ceiling at about Austin Romine. Catching prospects are almost as hard to project as pitchers.

Contrary to what this board thinks, my prospect knowledge is about a 70 on the 20-80 scale. I love reading up on the prospects every year, and seeing who the top HS and college players are. I remember Bart from the 2018 draft. Haven’t followed his career much. His stats are decent but he’s always screamed “average player” to me. I’d put his ceiling at about Austin Romine. Catching prospects are almost as hard to project as pitchers.
There are times I think you're just trolling on this board. This is one of those times.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

There are times I think you're just trolling on this board. This is one of those times.

That’s great for you. Come back in 5 years when Bart is a backup catcher for the Royals and tell me I was wrong. I could count on one hand the number of first round catchers that have been even slightly better than decent. Mauer, Posey, Munson, Konerko. That’s it. Ever. But yes this guy named after a Simpson’s character will break into that echelon.

That’s great for you. Come back in 5 years when Bart is a backup catcher for the Royals and tell me I was wrong. I could count on one hand the number of first round catchers that have been even slightly better than decent. Mauer, Posey, Munson, Konerko. That’s it. Ever. But yes this guy named after a Simpson’s character will break into that echelon.

Darrell Porter, Jason Varitek, Craig Biggio, Ted Simmons, Mike Scioscia, Terry Kennedy, Jason Kendall, Charles Johson and if you want to count guys moved to other positions before the majors Josh Donaldson and Dale Murphy.

But other than that, you're completely correct. Maybe you. could grow more fingers?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve never heard of Terry Kennedy or Dale Murphy in my life. And include Harper then if you’re going with the Donaldson criteria. I was only counting guys that stuck at catcher most of their career, figured that made actual sense.

And yes, I was today years old when I learned Biggio actually played catcher in the majors. Thought he was a 2nd baseman all the way. So I have that in common with most modern Astros fans.

Nice to see some discussion on things. Apologies for my previous “early game” post, I was on the wrong thread.

I remember Dale Murphy because as an old I remember getting cable in my small town and it really only added a few small channels, one of which was TBS. TBS taught me about the Road Warriors and Jake The Snake Roberts. And they also aired lots of Braves games. A particular memory that for some reason is stuck in the cobwebs is a montage of Dale Murphy set to “Every Breath You Take” by The Police.

/csb

• Hook 'Em 3

I’ll put my hand up and say I’ve never heard of Dale Murphy either. I don’t consider myself to be a student of the game, but I definitely thought i knew enough about it’s history to know about a guy who was a 2x MVP and 7x all star. 

And y’all don’t know enough Astros fans if you didn’t know Biggio was a catcher at one point. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’ve never heard of Terry Kennedy or Dale Murphy in my life. 

And yes, I was today years old when I learned Biggio actually played catcher in the majors. Thought he was a 2nd baseman all the way. So I have that in common with most modern Astros fans.

Stop posting. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 3

A few of you haven't heard of Dale Murphy??? Next you'll say how you haven't heard of Mork & Mindy, Mr. Belvedere, Mr. T, Junkyard Dog, or Kamala the Ugandan Giant. Anyone who either watched sports in the 80's or had cable TV knew about Dale Murphy and recognizes him as one of those players who fell just short of the HoF.

And ferfucksakes Helo stop projecting your South Texas Yankee fan inferiority complex, every Astros fan on this board knows Biggio was drafted as a catcher and played his first two seasons at the position. His transformation from C to 2B to OF is a well-documented aspect of his career resume. We're not ignorant of these things just because you happen to be. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Darrell Porter, Jason Varitek, Craig Biggio, Ted Simmons, Mike Scioscia, Terry Kennedy, Jason Kendall, Charles Johson and if you want to count guys moved to other positions before the majors Josh Donaldson and Dale Murphy.

But other than that, you're completely correct. Maybe you. could grow more fingers?
70 on a 20-80 bruh
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

I was only counting guys that stuck at catcher most of their career, figured that made actual sense.

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

What the fuck is wrong with you?

I’ve never heard of Terry Kennedy or Dale Murphy in my life.

And yes, I was today years old when I learned Biggio actually played catcher in the majors. Thought he was a 2nd baseman all the way.

For the life of me, I have no idea why you'd say stuff like this.  Do you think that means Terry Kennedy doesn't exist, or do you think this just shows your ignorance? Kennedy caught 1500 games and made 4 All-Star teams.  I'll cut you some slack on Murphy because you were probably thinking of Dale Murphy the Catcher, but you put Konerko on your list even though he never caught a single game in the majors. 

Edited by Beau Vine

Just being honest. Sorry I can’t name every single player who played before I was born. Konerko was my bad, but they only played the Yankees 6 times a year. Wasn’t really following the White Sox beyond that. Him, Pierzynski, and Podsednik all blended together as “generic polish-sounding white guy on the White Sox” for me. Couldn’t have told you their respective positions. 

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Just being honest. Sorry I can’t name every single player who played before I was born. Konerko was my bad, but they only played the Yankees 6 times a year. Wasn’t really following the White Sox beyond that. Him, Pierzynski, and Podsednik all blended together as “generic polish-sounding white guy on the White Sox” for me. Couldn’t have told you their respective positions. 

So I guess your excuse for not knowing Dale Murphy is a result of him playing in the National League and never facing the Yankees. Amiright? 

Edited by TonyTexas

32 minutes ago, Helobious said:

We get it, you're not a baseball historian or even knowledgeable about the recent past. That's fine, you can be a stooge if you choose but you should remember this the next time you share another fantastically stupid opinion about Astros fans. All of us know about Craig Biggio and Dale Murphy. Why don't you?

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Shit, then I was mistakenly impressed that you remembered that Konerko was a catcher in the minors.

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

anybody? hint: it's happened five times, with one guy doing it twice. 

fuck it I will guess and hope I get one of them(other than Bieber) ..Big Unit, Nolan, Bieber....

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

Koufax?

another good guess, but nope. the fourth guy is for sure the toughest to get. Nolan did it in like '76 or something, I think Pedro did it back to back years in the early 2000's, and then Bieber has done it this year. i'd be seriously impressed if anyone named the fourth guy. don't get me wrong, he was a great pitcher, but when names like Koufax, Gibson, Kershaw, Randy Johnson, Clemens, etc don't make the list, the guessing starts to get a bit murky.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

another good guess, but nope. the fourth guy is for sure the toughest to get. Nolan did it in like '76 or something, I think Pedro did it back to back years in the early 2000's, and then Bieber has done it this year. i'd be seriously impressed if anyone named the fourth guy. don't get me wrong, he was a great pitcher, but when names like Koufax, Gibson, Kershaw, Randy Johnson, Clemens, etc don't make the list, the guessing starts to get a bit murky.

Roger Pavlik?

• Hook 'Em 1