2020 MLB thread

ss13

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Baseball’s “Unwritten Rules” are stupid. 

The whole thing is stupid. When is he allowed to swing? Is 3-1 still an issue? What about 3-2? You’re really supposed to just give the pitcher a free pitch?

7 run lead isn't big enough to bitch about that. He lets that one slide and takes, gets out, scores no one, and the Rangers score 4 in the bottom of the 8th, it's a 3 run game with an inning to go. Complaining about that is like complaining about a team throwing deep passes while up by 21 with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. There's still enough game left to be played for that win to still be in a little doubt. Especially in the pros.

It's a stupid thing to complain about. The Rangers absolutely could have mounted a comeback down 7. Woodward spoke up to deflect from the utter failure of his bullpen and the team's fielding that helped San Diego mount the lead. I have no issue with Tatis crushing a ball with 3 men on. That's what you're paid to do. 

• Like 1

as a Rangers fan I generally like Woodward but I hate the butthurt.  I fucking hate the unwritten rules bullshit with an undying passion.  Just take the loss pussy.

Reporter: Chris, what were your thoughts on Tatis' GS.

CW: As a rule I dont like when we give up GSs.

Also I'm not a fan of Tingler giving the guy a take sign.   Let him swing away.  but whatever. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

also wasn’t it the Padres that busted up a no-hitter with a bunt a few years back? Now that one....that was BS

Fuck that. Your objective as a batter is to reach base, if bunting is the best way you think you can do that then you should do it. It’s pretty evident that baseballs unwritten rules were made by overly sensitive pussies who were scared of effort and competition. 

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

That Chris Woodward quote is Jeff Bannister if I’ve ever heard him 

also wasn’t it the Padres that busted up a no-hitter with a bunt a few years back? Now that one....that was BS

Why is one of these things bullshit and the other not?

defense has a chance to field a bunt just as much as any other batted ball. 

47 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Fuck that. Your objective as a batter is to reach base, if bunting is the best way you think you can do that then you should do it. It’s pretty evident that baseballs unwritten rules were made by overly sensitive pussies who were scared of effort and competition. 

Someone bunted with a no-hitter late in a 2-0 game a few years ago.  I have no problem with that.  Bunting in an 8-0 no-hitter is a different story. 

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Someone bunted with a no-hitter late in a 2-0 game a few years ago.  I have no problem with that.  Bunting in an 8-0 no-hitter is a different story. 

Why?  Strategies change to preserve a no hitter, managers leave pitchers in longer than normal, play defense a little differently. Why can’t the team at the plate try to not get no-hit however they choose?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why?  Strategies change to preserve a no hitter, managers leave pitchers in longer than normal, play defense a little differently. Why can’t the team at the plate try to not get no-hit however they choose?

Because the goal is to win the game, not to not get no-hit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So take your starter out at 110 pitches like usual, since the goal is not a no-hitter. 

Well, if he has a no-hitter going, that pretty much means he's pitching well, so why would removing a pitcher who's pitching well be optimal to winning the game?

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Well, if he has a no-hitter going, that pretty much means he's pitching well, so why would removing a pitcher who's pitching well be optimal to winning the game?

This is the weakest argument you’ve ever made about anything. In this day and age pitchers get taken out all the time even if they’re mowing bitches down. It’s a race to the bullpen now, everyone knows that.

28 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Same reason guys get pulled right after giving up the first hit in the 8th or 9th. So you don’t overextend their workload for the game and keep them ready and healthy for future starts. Same reason a guy gets pulled after 8 having only given up 2 hits all game. 
You think it’s ok for a team to go after a no-hitter, and that they should expect bunting to be off the table if the score is a bit lopsided, but you don’t think the team being no-hit should be able to use all of its tools to get a hit just to avoid being no-hit.  

getting a runner on base via a bunt base hit seems to me to be advancing the goal of winning the game irrespective of the score at the time.

We just disagree on this point, and that’s fine. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

So all that talk about safety from MLB was just a bunch of bullcrap.  Woodward gets a joke 1 game suspension, and 4 hours laters the Giants are throwing at Mike Trout's head, because why not?

Joe Kelly's suspension was stiff because the league wanted to send a message to move on from the Astros scandal, lest a pissed off Houston starts leaking more about Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers/Rangers/Cubs/and more involvement.  Safety, as usual, was just a fig leaf claim.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

So all that talk about safety from MLB was just a bunch of bullcrap.  Woodward gets a joke 1 game suspension, and 4 hours laters the Giants are throwing at Mike Trout's head, because why not?

Joe Kelly's suspension was stiff because the league wanted to send a message to move on from the Astros scandal, lest a pissed off Houston starts leaking more about Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers/Rangers/Cubs/and more involvement.  Safety, as usual, was just a fig leaf claim.

I’m going to take a wild guess and say that’s not why they suspended Kelly that way. He has a long history of doing shit like he did against the Astros, does he not? I think that was more of a message specifically to Kelly than it was to the rest of the league. Kind of like a Vontaze Burfict “we’ve talked about this on numerous occasions” type of situation in the nfl. But I could be wrong.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I hate the extra inning rules

I can live with it for 2020 given the circumstances.

but please no for 2021

Bottom of twelve. (Only one runner had made it to third in extra up to that point).
Buxton starts at 2nd
Two broken bat, swinging “bunts” that don’t leave the infield and travel a total of 150’
Twins win.

• Hook 'Em 1

I like the extra inning rules.  I liked it when they announced it, and I like it even more in practice.  That said, I find myself still doing a double take when an inning starts with a runner on second.  

Baseball is a strange game and strange things happen that make the difference in a game all the time.   There are probably twenty games a year that have weirder, flukier endings than that Twins game.  

14 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

That Chris Woodward quote is Jeff Bannister if I’ve ever heard him 

This is a terrible take, in fact this is possibly THE WORST unwritten rule in baseball.

Why in the hell should one of the ways batters can get on base be taken away from them when a pitcher is going for a no-hitter? The entire reason a no-hitter is impressive is because of the assumption that the hitters are trying their best to get a hit in every at-bat. If batters willingly give up that option then the no-hitter is less impressive. Furthermore, we've seen infielders start backing up even on quick hitters because they assume that this unwritten rule will be followed. That, again, makes the no-hitter less impressive.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I like the extra inning rules.  I liked it when they announced it, and I like it even more in practice.  That said, I find myself still doing a double take when an inning starts with a runner on second.  

Baseball is a strange game and strange things happen that make the difference in a game all the time.   There are probably twenty games a year that have weirder, flukier endings than that Twins game.  

You mean Buxton grounding into a double play in the bottom of the eleventh ( his second GIDP in the game, something that had never happened before in his career) allowing him to leadoff at second in the 12th...And then advancing 90’ twice on two excellent pitches that sawed off the batter/broke bats both times (the second one of which barely made it to the pitcher’s mound and someone slower than Buxton probably doesn’t score on) isn’t freakish enough for you?

Look, I’m sure I’ll get used to the extra inning rules and be fine with it if it’s adopted permanently, but right now I like my baseball rules being the same no matter the inning, not changing once the inning counter rolls over to double digits.

Before this year, baseball was the only major sport that played by the same rules from beginning to end. I’d personally prefer to keep it that way, but understand the arguments on the other side as well.

/old man yells at cloud

I don’t like the pitcher owning the run if the runner scores from 2nd. If they come in in relief in regulation, they don’t own existing runners...

Maybe give him .5 for the Earned Run.  That’ll make the statbois’ heads fall off.

Otherwise, I like the new Extra Innings.  It’s not like they’re all ending in the 10th either, so it’s not a gimme.

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don’t like the pitcher owning the run if the runner scores from 2nd. If they come in in relief in regulation, they don’t own existing runners...

Maybe give him .5 for the Earned Run.  That’ll make the statbois’ heads fall off.

Otherwise, I like the new Extra Innings.  It’s not like they’re all ending in the 10th either, so it’s not a gimme.

I was under the impression that the runner on 2nd was never an earned run for anyone. That is actually a pretty big deal for relievers who are looking for their next contract. 

Im with you though. I don’t love it and i don’t hate it. I could see myself getting used to it though, and i almost positive we’re going to have to. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I was under the impression that the runner on 2nd was never an earned run for anyone. That is actually a pretty big deal for relievers who are looking for their next contract. 

Im with you though. I don’t love it and i don’t hate it. I could see myself getting used to it though, and i almost positive we’re going to have to. 

Correction of my post:   You are right.
it is an unearned run if the designated runner scores.

Edited by slorch