2020 MLB thread

ss13

Not exactly baseball related, but this headline caught my eye looking for new games for the kids in the fall.... and then I see the author...

of course Keith Law is a board game dork:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/board-games/board-games-fall-2020-preview/?utm_source=PMNTNL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=200820#leder-games

Edited by UTexasFight

A one-of-a-kind Mike Trout baseball card set a new record on Saturday night for the highest selling sports card of all time, selling for $3,936,000.

The 2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Prospects Superfractor signed rookie card sold at Gold Auctions online, eclipsing the previous record, which was set in 2016 in the sale of a 1909 Honus Wagner T-206 card for $3.12 million.

The Trout card is in mint condition, graded by Beckett Grading Service as a Mint 9 with a certified autograph issue logo on the card attesting to the authenticity of the signature.

I had no idea people were paying millions for cards that are 11 years old. Mind boggling bottling.

Edited by Blotto

Today's chapter from Zen and the Art of Greinke:

Of course the usual:

But then, having a rough 4th inning, Zack complains about the landing spot, goes into the dugout for a drink and sit as the grounds crew comes out, Padres complain, ump tells Greinke to get back on the field, so he chills and supervises:

(The Rangers had also complained about the mound this week.  Perhaps worth noting that the Padres broke his collarbone a few years ago.)

But the Padres got the last laugh, for now:

Edited by clapclapclap

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Remember when we all thought BP was crazy for ranking Tatis as a better prospect than Vlad Jr?

Trout is clearly passing the torch to this dude within the next 3-4 years, right? He’s elite at everything. I saw him turn a double play against the rangers where it seemed like he had no chance to get Kiner-Falefa, but his arm is ridiculous. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

random thought(s): i want to see a hitter do something like two 3-HR games in one series or something. that would be cool. is there a place to go to look up stats like that? like "fewest days between 3-HR games" or something like that.

Doug Decinces 5 days in 1982

Possibly an easier way but this works for me:

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/3-Home-Runs-In-A-Game.shtml

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/24/2020 at 9:20 AM, Sbbruin said:

Dodgers on a 44-16 pace halfway through.  That probably gets them in the playoffs.

Still want to see Slam Diego match up with them in a PO series.   Can the Padres bats stay hot?  Can LA's pitching show up?

Also down with Manny Machado taking out Baby Joe at the mound.   Mutual destruction would be very satisfy...