2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Or he was hiding something.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

It was widely known last year that his knees were gimpy. He’s pretty big to be hiding from the trainers and team doctors. Altuve might be able to get away with it but not Yordan 

Edited by TonyTexas

I am pretty sure he escalated the aggravation of  whatever was already bothering him when he slide into third.  After that he was limping just running out a grounder.   

Next year he just needs to be on a no slide mandate and just run motherfuckers over.  

Astros designated hitter Yordan Alvarez may miss the remainder of the season, manager Dusty Baker revealed in a radio interview on Wednesday afternoon.

“Yordan Alvarez, it looks like he’s done, maybe for the year, maybe,” Baker said on KBME 790 in response to a general question about the team’s health. “We’ll see.”

I'd sign Puig today.  

Ideally you want Brantley DH, Springer in CF, Tucker/Reddick splitting time in OF spot.  I do not want both of them playing at the same time.  Then again Brantley/Springer can't even stay healthy.  

I do not want Straw/Toro/Mayfield getting significant playing time in late September/Playoffs.  They can pinch run for Garneau/Brantley/Maldo etc....pinch hit for Garneau as well.  

So I would sign Puig and have him join the rotation(once everyone is healthy) of him, Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Tucker for 3 OF spots and DH.  

Puig is already better than 2 of those guys.  

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I agree, sign puig today (if he’s ready to go) 

he probably isn't.  Probably wouldn't see him until end of month, but regardless we need something better than fucking Straw/Toro/Mayfield/Tucker/Reddick getting ABs all game 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scraps said:

he probably isn't.  Probably wouldn't see him until end of month, but regardless we need something better than fucking Straw/Toro/Mayfield/Tucker/Reddick getting ABs all game 

He is probably more ready than the first three and Altuve right now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I'd sign Puig today.  

Ideally you want Brantley DH, Springer in CF, Tucker/Reddick splitting time in OF spot.  I do not want both of them playing at the same time.  Then again Brantley/Springer can't even stay healthy.  

I do not want Straw/Toro/Mayfield getting significant playing time in late September/Playoffs.  They can pinch run for Garneau/Brantley/Maldo etc....pinch hit for Garneau as well.  

So I would sign Puig and have him join the rotation(once everyone is healthy) of him, Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Tucker for 3 OF spots and DH.  

Puig is already better than 2 of those guys.  

That wasn’t even close to my guess.

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

Grandpa Yuli will keep the Cuban in check 

Actual Yuli I’m not sure about... but literal Grandpa Gurriel... or Lourdes Sr. I could see having some godfather-type, uh, “influence” back home.

fuck it. I’m in. Just to see game 7 against the Dodgers and Scrubb get the late inning win in relief with Puig the game-winning RBI.

• Like 1

Ive had a partial tear of my patella tendon before.

Thats actually a huge relief.  Very straightforward and easy to come back from, if my situation was anything like his.  

Did mine snow skiing at 19 spring break and was out running around after a couple of months.

Ive had a partial tear of my patella tendon before.

Thats actually a huge relief.  Very straightforward and easy to come back from, if my situation was anything like his.  
Did mine snow skiing at 19 spring break and was out running around after a couple of months.
I hope so.

I'm a Houston sports fan though and I can't help but think that there's an underlying chronic issue not publicly revealed. If he had tendinitis in his knee and they knew about it, why surgery now and not last year? And if it wasn't torn sufficiently for a surgical remedy, why didn't the training staff do enough to maximize his chances of recovery during the off-season?

I pray this tendon problem isn't caused by arthritis because that would be not good.

Re: Yordan.  Stuff happens.  If you’re going to miss a season, might as well be this one.  
Next man up.  Keep the streak going. 
No doubt about it, it's just the compound effect of some many key pieces either being shelved for the season or a sizable chunk of games along with the struggles of Springer and Altuve, all against a never ending backdrop of media dumbfuckery over 2017.

Yordan's return was our beacon of optimism for an underperforming lineup, and instead it's just another kick in the dong cherry.