EPL 2020-21

Firemans4Horn

7 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I'm curious to see what you guys are bitching about on yesterday's red card calls. I don't see anything that says they shouldn't be red cards. I want to know what was so terrible against them.

That David Luiz call was pretty bad. I understand the pen, but red seems a bit harsh.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I'm curious to see what you guys are bitching about on yesterday's red card calls. I don't see anything that says they shouldn't be red cards. I want to know what was so terrible against them.

re: Southampton. I swallowed my tongue after the Villa game last Saturday and just said: "hey sometimes, VAR doesn't go your way".  But couple those two calls at Villa with the two that occurred in the ManU game (as well as both matches involving Mike Dean and Lee Mason), and my temperament is being tested.

no excuse for 9-0, but one could argue the scoreline could have been more like 6-1 with some decent refereeing.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That David Luiz call was pretty bad. I understand the pen, but red seems a bit harsh.

red.jpg

Stating my bias upfront as an Arsenal fan, but a red is very harsh. Luiz was chasing the striker, whose heel ran into Luiz' knee.  Like all futbol players, said striker immediately went down like he had been hit with a .30-06 round from a 1903 Springfield (or perhaps .303 from a Lee Enfield is a more appropriate metaphor for an EPL match). I can see a penalty being awarded, as contact did occur in the box.  Iffy, but yes there was contact on a player in possession in the area. A straight red though? The contact wasn't "careless, reckless, or excessively forceful" as the rulebook defines.  Luiz didn't attempt to tackle him from behind (though perhaps he should in the future, if "running" generates the same result). I also think Luiz' history of red cards factored into the ref's decision.  "Oh him again? Yeah, red."

Then as noted above, the first Southampton red was very iffy as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One thing I didn't realize/forgot was that the denial of scoring opportunity rule was relaxed. Incidental contact doesn't incur the automatic red.

That should wipe out the Luiz red and potentially the 2nd Southampton one (though I can see an argument). The problem is the position of the ref, who probably saw this and thought Luiz clipped him intentionally and didn't see how minor the contact was. This didn't come via VAR mind you:

https://goalbackup.xyz/FuszC8eC

I gotta ask how anyone thinking studs up into a knee is not a red card though.

https://streamable.com/xh87gy

So best player at Arsenal that left Chelsea past their prime.

David Luiz

Willians

Cech

I think I'd have to go with Cech simply based on awful results by the other two.

Ok now best player at Chelsea who left Arsenal.

Ashley Cole

Cesc

Giroud

Obviously Cole is an all-timer, but the other two have been top notch adds.

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Nah. That's a clear red.

yeah, that is a clear red. No complaints at all. Stupid and rash from Jankewitz or whatever his name is. First PL start and he gets a straight red in the 2nd minute.

i think Dutch was referring to the second red on Bednarek, which was very similar to the Ruiz one. Bednarek was actively trying to avoid contact with Martial and Martial dove and created the contact from behind.

Mike Dean deemed it a penalty, and a straight red because Bednarek was not "playing the ball". Yeah, no shit, he was trying to avoid contact. This was after Dean had the luxury of watching Martial dive in slow motion on the monitor.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, alincoln said:

It almost appears that he was trying to get sent off immediately. Reminiscent of Gerrard's 38 second red

some are speculating that he was trying to get sent off.

i had never heard of him until two week ago when it was announced he put in a transfer request because he wasnt getting any PL playing time. I dont think this guy had even made the bench before yesterday. That is how depleted Southampton is right now.

Southampton had denied his transfer request and reportedly he was pretty angry about it. Way to impress, eh?

whether he did or didn't mean it, will probably never know for sure.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

also, how are we to make any sense of the rules when VAR works like this:

https://streamable.com/h70l1s

But your comparing a call that went to VAR vs one that didn’t. 

The Brighton-ManU one has no context. What came before that a foul call or no?

Finally, these are very different plays. Accident or not, Luiz committed a foul. That Brighton player looks like he’s taking a dive on his play. 

17 hours ago, yoladu said:

yeah, that is a clear red. No complaints at all. Stupid and rash from Jankewitz or whatever his name is. First PL start and he gets a straight red in the 2nd minute.

i think Dutch was referring to the second red on Bednarek, which was very similar to the Ruiz one. Bednarek was actively trying to avoid contact with Martial and Martial dove and created the contact from behind.

Mike Dean deemed it a penalty, and a straight red because Bednarek was not "playing the ball". Yeah, no shit, he was trying to avoid contact. This was after Dean had the luxury of watching Martial dive in slow motion on the monitor.

for those following along..

https://theathletic.com/news/southampton-bednarek-appeal-newcastle/qCHGJxs59Zjd

Southampton successfully appeal Bednarek red card

(does Southampton get the 3 goals back that we're scored against them while playing with 9 players after the erroneous sending off?)

***Article also mentions that Arsenal's appeal on the David Luiz sending off was not accepted. Sorry Gunners.

Edited by yoladu

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

FYI - Newcastle is down to 9 men.  Schar is off injured.  out of subs.

Yeah, kind of crazy that they had 2 injury subs in the 1st half and then had the 3rd injury after they had used the 3rd sub.  But they still held on.

rashford cross was never more than 10 feet off the ground.  extremely difficult to do with velocity and precise delivery on a driven ball with swerve.

we should test all kids playing soccer at ages 8, 10 & 12 to find the 1% of the 1% on this skill, and you will find your 1000 national candidates who might go on to develop spatial awareness and close control.