EPL 2020-21

Firemans4Horn

Offsides enforcement is totally drunk this year. City played a ball that looked offsides to the naked eye, but of course the assistant waited like 5 full seconds to raise the flag. WBA saw the flag and stood around while City passed around and shot it in. I guess there was no whistle, so VAR was able to review and lo and behold, onsides and goal counted.

6 hours ago, Bartles said:

Offsides enforcement is totally drunk this year. City played a ball that looked offsides to the naked eye, but of course the assistant waited like 5 full seconds to raise the flag. WBA saw the flag and stood around while City passed around and shot it in. I guess there was no whistle, so VAR was able to review and lo and behold, onsides and goal counted.

How dastardly. WBA must be livid to lose by such a controversial goal.

Let me check this deciding goal ...

WAIT THEY LOST 0-5?!!??!

But seriously, which goal was it?

Oh I see it's that 2nd goal. It looked off to the naked eye because a guy way across the field played him on.  Really stupid defending there, he had nothing to worry about a drifted 2 yards beyond the defense.

Edited by Captain Ron

6 hours ago, Bartles said:

She raised her flag when she shouldn't have. But you don't stop play just because the flag is up. Especially when you know that VAR might correct it. 

2 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Welp ... when you have a literal shit-ton of chances in the first half and only net one of them, a Charlie Fox in front of your own goal will lead to the equalizer.  1-1 in the 52nd.

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Cries in Liverpool

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

What the fucking fuck?

TWO cheap goals and we're down 3-2 in the 79th.

Yeah at least you guys can fucking score. 

21 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

that was a gorgeous strike.

Everton and ManU can't afford these results.  good for Liverpool.

Everton continuing to hang around seemed pretty unlikely. As for manu - Arsenal has shown much better form as of late - a point there isn't a terrible result. Now, losing to Sheffield? Yeah - they probably can't afford results like that.

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I feel like handballl in the first half could have gone Southampton’s way as well. 

but them’s the breaks. 

Yeah, I'm less offended by that one, as the defender was falling backwards and the arm was in a natural bracing position, but yeah --- y'all got screwed on the last one.  Should've been 1-1, and that would have been VERY representative of that match.  These two clubs are solid and pretty much level across the board.

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Huh? Why would it be decided? We still have 17 match days.

Because the bottom 3 have shown very little thus far that show they can get out of relegation.

Sheffield - done, so let's not even entertain them.

WBA - they could win their next 3 games and they would still be in a relegation spot. Given they only have 12 points now, I don't see them overcoming being 9 points down.

Fulham - This is the only squad that might have a chance. But down 7 is still a really tough ask for a team that only has 14 points.

And let's not forget the teams they are chasing Brighton (21 pts), Burnley (22), Newcastle (22) and Wolves (23) are picking up points themselves. So this bottom 3 needs to not just make up the ground, but also keep pace in fewer games. I don't see it.

On 1/31/2021 at 1:10 AM, shadow_operative said:

E12B30D9-76FE-4D97-8B81-DD63EC8761B2.jpeg

^^^ not even a yellow, and that's with a VAR review. switch the players and Xhaka is seeing red, no doubt about it. can't fucking stand how these "rules" are enforced completely differently from match to match, seemingly at random. 

I think you posted just a still (link dead), and IMHO that doesn't tell much of the story, you see this video

https://streamable.com/xbffc0

And IMHO, this is a clear card, minimum a yellow, but could be a red.

HOWEVER, this is the problem, they can't give yellows due to VAR.

According to this page on ESPN: https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3925549/the-ultimate-guide-to-var-in-the-premier-league-all-your-questions-answered

What will the VAR review?
- Goal/no goal
- Penalty/no penalty
- Direct red card (not second yellow card/caution)
- Mistaken identity (when the referee cautions or sends off the wrong player)

What will it not review?
- Any yellow card (including second yellow card leading to red)
- Any free kick offence outside the box (other than red card offence)

Emphasis mine.

So unless this has changed in the last year, they can't give a yellow. The only question for the ref is "Straight red, yes/no?"

And I agree, this was a bad call. I'm curious what it looked like in real time for the ref to miss it.

Edited by Captain Ron

21 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Because the bottom 3 have shown very little thus far that show they can get out of relegation.

Sheffield - done, so let's not even entertain them.

WBA - they could win their next 3 games and they would still be in a relegation spot. Given they only have 12 points now, I don't see them overcoming being 9 points down.

Fulham - This is the only squad that might have a chance. But down 7 is still a really tough ask for a team that only has 14 points.

And let's not forget the teams they are chasing Brighton (21 pts), Burnley (22), Newcastle (22) and Wolves (23) are picking up points themselves. So this bottom 3 needs to not just make up the ground, but also keep pace in fewer games. I don't see it.

I got caught up on the word "decided". Of course it isn't "decided" yet. Do we think the 3 teams sitting down there are the 3 that will be relegated? Probably - you aren't going to get an argument from me there. But there are a lot of games left. Even looking at recent form - Sheffieled and West Brom have done better over their past 5 than Newcastle has. All it would take for any of them is to surprise in a few outings and have a team above them slip up and those points can be made up quickly.