EPL 2020-21

Firemans4Horn

City is the team with the most potential to run away from the pack.  they have 3 cupcakes coming up - West Brom, Sheffield U, and Burnley.

but then they have Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham, and United.

there should be some drama involving several teams over the next few months.  hope City doesn't decide to say screw everybody and wreck shop.

Didn't seem like offsides to me. Comes down to how much you beleive Mings had control of the ball. I think under the rule as written it could go either way. Whether that rule is within the spirit of the game or not seems like a different debate.

Edited by ztejas

According to this article, games will be on USA.

The move is in line with the current media trend of consolidating cable channels. For NBC, it also is part of a bigger strategy to grow its Peacock streaming service, while, at the same time, bolstering the programming schedule for other NBC channels like USA Network. Bigger properties, like the NHL, NASCAR and EPL, will move to USA Network while keeping some windows on the broadcast channel. Smaller properties, like car shows, dog shows and some motorsports, will have to find new linear TV outlets.

How much longer does the NBC/EPL contract last?

42 minutes ago, midtown said:

Lets hope the PL decides they want to move to a network where they can continue to expand their brand vs having most matches put behind a pay service.

We can hope, but I’m afraid their attitude is “don’t care, got paid.”

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Look at England. They put most of the games on PPV. They only care about $$$ not the fans. 

Completely different markets.   England fans are already fans.  They have their team(s) that they follow religiously.   The US is in infancy as far as viewers.   The more US fans they can draw in the more advertising they can sell the more they can make at each broadcast rights contract.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Completely different markets.   England fans are already fans.  They have their team(s) that they follow religiously.   The US is in infancy as far as viewers.   The more US fans they can draw in the more advertising they can sell the more they can make at each broadcast rights contract.     

providing a robust slate of matches via  non-premium network tv isn’t going to magically draw a critical mass of fans to drive the premium on ad space up, especially since most of the matches take place during non-primetime viewing. how many posting in this thread became a premier league fan because nbc suddenly made it easier to see the majority of the matches on a weekly basis? 

with the premium that the EPL charges for their broadcast rights, networks in the US will likely continue to find ways to monetize the hell out of their programming via subscriptions from current fans until such time that the USMNT does enough on the international stage (collectively and individually) to generate more interest from the casual american sports fan.

Edited by mr. littlejeans

The premier league is based on the the NFL
Pl executives understand growth and marketing based on the NFL.
There are American owners in the Pl who actually want to make money.
There are a lot of dads up at 8am who will watch sports.
ESPN home depot at 8am gets good ratings.
Dad's have a lot of money.

13 hours ago, midtown said:

The premier league is based on the the NFL
Pl executives understand growth and marketing based on the NFL.
There are American owners in the Pl who actually want to make money.
There are a lot of dads up at 8am who will watch sports.
ESPN home depot at 8am gets good ratings.
Dad's have a lot of money.

and how accessible is the full slate of nfl games in england without a paid subscription? 

The EPL will go to whomever pays them the most which at this point is probably either Fox or a streaming service. If it's Fox, it won't be on Fox proper, at least not in the fall when they're fully on CFB. If it's FS1 and FS2, that's not a lot of options so you're then looking for higher tier pay channels like Fox Soccer Channel. They just dropped the Bundesliga last spring so I'm not sure how much more they want to shell out for European football.  

I'm fine with it going to a streaming service. ESPN+ would be perfect as it's a great app, you can go up to 4 games on one screen and there's no debating if your match will be shown. They currently hold all the Bundesliga matches on there. The problem for the EPL is the pandemic made the ability to pay for more content a lot harder unless it's on a streaming platform. It's a shame NBC is going to drop the EPL. Their coverage is fantastic. The Peacock stuff doesn't bother me anymore other than the clunkiness of the app. With everyone being cashed strapped, more content will be going to streaming. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

and how accessible is the full slate of nfl games in england without a paid subscription? 

Soccer is more popular in America than football is in England. By far. 

America is a much bigger market and culturally more sports-crazed. 

The reason England gets away with putting games on PPV or whatever they do to make it difficult to watch is because they know that fans over there will do ANYTHING to watch the game. The PL is still trying to build a brand in America - so the more games they can put on TV for basic cable owners the better. 

But... it might not matter since I'd guess most of the potential market for soccer in this country isn't paying for cable, anyway.

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

Soccer is more popular in America than football is in England. By far. 

America is a much bigger market and culturally more sports-crazed. 

The reason England gets away with putting games on PPV or whatever they do to make it difficult to watch is because they know that fans over there will do ANYTHING to watch the game. The PL is still trying to build a brand in America - so the more games they can put on TV for basic cable owners the better. 

But... it might not matter since I'd guess most of the potential market for soccer in this country isn't paying for cable, anyway.

I would ask you what do you base these first two points on? I really haven't taken any sort look at this, but I would question this.

Sure, there is no question about America being a bigger sports market. That pretty obvious. And if we are comparing pure eyeballs watching games, sure the USA is going to win.

But interest in the NFL vs soccer and sports-crazed ... I'm not sure I would agree. My experiences is that England is just as sports-centric as the USA. And the NFL vs soccer is a pure numbers thing that we would need to look into.

How many Brits grow up playing football?  How many Americans grow up playing soccer?  In fact on a pure numbers basis I wonder if more Americans play soccer than Brits.   If you can get just a small percentage of Americans to flip on the tele on a Saturday or Sunday morning to watch a match while they wait for college or pro football to start. 

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

"Growing demographic" is a good thing if you are selling something. However, the networks want instant cash back.

Think of how well the NFL did in growing it's base. Back in the day, you could watch your regional team every Sunday. Now with the NFL network you have the option to pay more if you want more. But they spent YEARS building that fan base to the point where enough would pay to make it worth while. 

32 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I would ask you what do you base these first two points on? I really haven't taken any sort look at this, but I would question this.

Sure, there is no question about America being a bigger sports market. That pretty obvious. And if we are comparing pure eyeballs watching games, sure the USA is going to win.

But interest in the NFL vs soccer and sports-crazed ... I'm not sure I would agree. My experiences is that England is just as sports-centric as the USA. And the NFL vs soccer is a pure numbers thing that we would need to look into.

As for sports-crazed I was just guessing but I'd find it hard to beleive that isn't true. As for soccer here vs. football there it isn't even close. Midtown brings up a good point. All of us are on youth soccer teams as kids. There are also tens of millions of Mexican and Latin American immigrant/1st/2nd/3rd generation Americans here. Our women's national team is a good example. You don't consistently beat everyone's ass on a world stage without a huge number of girls here being afforded the opportunity to grow up playing soccer and have that end up being their "sport".

Edited by ztejas