San Antonio

TexasHooch

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

https://www.expressnews.com/food/restaurants/article/mike-sutter-10-best-worst-dishes-february-17815493.php

More on that CFS at Mr. Juicy. 

I was there last week to finally try a burger, which was fantastic.  But the couple next to me both got the CFS and said it was awesome.  It was a huge piece, on a big bed of fries, so neither of them finished.   But I'm getting that next time I go.

I am going to have to go back to that place. Went once, and it felt like the burgers were precooked and sitting in a tub of juice to give them the juicy effect. I could be way wrong on that. Will have to try the CFS.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:41 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I met a guy around 1980 (through a mutual friend) who claimed to be one of the archers. He was a Marshall HS grad. Superior had recently moved to NW Loop 410. Perhaps they are one and same. 

I can’t swing a dead cat over my head without hitting an old buddy who didn’t put an arrow in the abs of that statue back in the day.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Wait....was the Superior Statue downtown at one time?  I only knew the one on 410. Went to St. Luke so it was right there on the way to school and church. 

Yes, just little bit north of downtown, but probably before the Mill Race Road cutoff to Brackenridge Golf Course. The statue was on the west side of the street, mounted either on top of the building or on a platform attached to the side. There was an Earl Scheib Paint & Body* on the east side, but that probably closed around the same time. The Superior building was nothing special 45 years ago, so I’m sure it was torn down. All I remember is the view was looking up at the statue as you drove past. The dick view was as you drove north. My mom was not nearly as amused as her kids.

* Who could forget?

It was only $49.95 in when I got my first car in 1977. Thanks, Jimmy. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Inflation talk not going away.

11 hours ago, wackawacka said:

2M bbq has declined a lot in the past year. Was consistently hitting out the park during covid but barely worth it these past two visits.

Too bad. We lived about a mile from there in the 70s. There was nothing trendy in that part of town. My old neighborhood was pretty decent when Pecan Valley CC was nice. But as the growth and wealth shifted further and further north, PV went downhill, as did our old neighborhood. We had a membership, and my hs golf team practiced there. I never fully appreciated how lucky I was to play there almost every day as a kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 8:05 AM, miguelito said:

9373422-A-58-E8-4552-830-E-C1-F2-B93-F83

We would drive by this guy on the way to church.  We'd always count the arrow sticking in him.

Years later, one of the older guys I worked with said that he and his buddies in high school would drive around that block, and one of the guys would lie down in the truck bed with the bow and arrow, and they'd take turns shooting at the chief.

HAHA....I remember those arrows when I was back in HS...hadn't thought about that until now.  Thanks for the good memory.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 9:08 AM, Helobious said:

No one’s Fiesta-ing this week? I went to market square last year for it. Surprisingly didn’t completely hate it. Probably won’t go this year though, can’t imagine going more than once as it seems like it’s the same thing every year.

I'm a big Fiesta guy. My buds and I are always all in every year. Went to the kick-off on Thursday before the storms put out the fires. I'll be working a beer booth at NIOSA tonight. That's always fun. Free beer and deer stand view of all the crazies. Market square is a must for me, under the bridge of course. Great food there, too. 

Might do King William again, that's always a fun and cool day scene, and a stop at San Fernando. Pick up a beer and confess my sins at the same time. Viva Fiesta!

• Hook 'Em 3

Good lord, I was just looking around at pics of random Mexican places in San Antonio yesterday and came across this glorious invention.

Screenshot2023-04-26103416.thumb.jpg.98a71b21950607ecf9d9cf64cf3daeaa.jpg

Unless my eyes deceive me that looks like a Chile Relleno Taco. I may be needed a special trip down to SA just to stop there (Taco Martinez on W Commerce).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DToro said:

I'm a big Fiesta guy. My buds and I are always all in every year. Went to the kick-off on Thursday before the storms put out the fires. I'll be working a beer booth at NIOSA tonight. That's always fun. Free beer and deer stand view of all the crazies. Market square is a must for me, under the bridge of course. Great food there, too. 

Might do King William again, that's always a fun and cool day scene, and a stop at San Fernando. Pick up a beer and confess my sins at the same time. Viva Fiesta!

King William is great event. Especially with kids. Bummed that I’ll be in Houston for a volleyball tournament with one of the older kids. 

I went to the Fiesta arts thing on Saturday. Good times, great weather. My wife screwed up the calendar and last night we tried to go to Beethovens, but it doesn't start until today. I should know better. May head down there tomorrow night.

Doing pooch parade Saturday morning and probably King William. Last year King William was rough. Super hot, really long beer lines, and the bands were pretty awful. Hoping for a better go at it this year. It's at least supposed to be cooler weather.

I used to love NIOSA but I just can't do it anymore.  We would be there the minute it opened, stay for an hour or so and get out before it got packed. Last time, it was packed in about 15 minutes. No gracias. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 10:25 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I wish I was moving to SA. Fucking hate Houston.

Biggest difference between Houston and SA is that in Houston you have to learn to drive fast if you are going to be in the inside lane on the freeway. In SA... not so much. But SA does have Puffy Tacos!

Biggest difference between Houston and SA is that in Houston you have to learn to drive fast if you are going to be in the inside lane on the freeway. In SA... not so much. But SA does have Puffy Tacos!

While SA is a large city, there are definitely fewer assholes in SA. Plus closer to the hill country yet still the same distance more or less to my folks in Fulton.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

While SA is a large city, there are definitely fewer assholes in SA. Plus closer to the hill country yet still the same distance more or less to my folks in Fulton.

IF I lived in San Antonio I would be down at the coast every other weekend.  The one thing that is really starting to push in San Antonio that reminds me of Houston is the infill is starting to happen.  SA is like Houston 20 years ago.  Gone out and out and out with the suburbs to now New Braunfels is the edge of SA commuting traffic.  I don't think there is as much loose money in SA as in Houston so it may take a little longer, but redevelopment downtown is already starting to rage.  

I was born and raised in Houston, and wife in SA before a teenage Austin move.  I think if I was forced to move to another big city San Antonio would be top of my list.  I would find the place I liked with the best Margaritas a reasonable distance from my house and probably do a lot of what we do now, at new and different dining establishments. But if I were moving there now I would be trying to get into South Alamo Heights if I had kids, or maybe south of that with the idea of buying something that would need a remodel.  Or ability to add on another unit in the best case scenario, as I think it's only going to get hotter in R.E. closer in as the burbs have gone out about as far as they can.

• Like 1

Downtown SA is much prettier and more interesting than Houston.

And yeah, the distance to Fulton is a draw. I guess that is why my grandfather bought a house there in the 60s. Real easy drive from SE San Antonio.

I only need 2-3 good BBQ joints to survive. And one good Vietnamese (I’m assuming SA has one at least).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Downtown SA is much prettier and more interesting than Houston.

And yeah, the distance to Fulton is a draw. I guess that is why my grandfather bought a house there in the 60s. Real easy drive from SE San Antonio.

I only need 2-3 good BBQ joints to survive. And one good Vietnamese (I’m assuming SA has one at least).

San Antonio can't hold Houston's jock for Vietnamese. Like, not even in the same universe.

Singhs on St. Mary's is pretty good though. Brisket banh mi is fantastic. Bun is pretty good. No pho.

One thing about Singhs that I think is bullshit: even though you order at the counter and there is no waitstaff, they will auto charge you a 12% gratuity for dining in, which I have never experienced before. And then they hit you up for another gratuity on top of that after you swipe your card like most places do. So you're not only paying an automatic gratuity plus tax on said gratuity, but then if you elect to tip them you are tipping them based on the number with the gratuity included. It took me several trips to figure out why it was so fucking expensive to eat there relative to their menu prices.  

Does anybody (other than Helobious) have any Vietnamese recs? San Antonio is definitely lacking in Asian food in general. 

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

San Antonio can't hold Houston's jock for Vietnamese. Like, not even in the same universe.

Singhs on St. Mary's is pretty good though. Brisket banh mi is fantastic. Bun is pretty good. No pho.

One thing about Singhs that I think is bullshit: even though you order at the counter and there is no waitstaff, they will auto charge you a 12% gratuity for dining in, which I have never experienced before. And then they hit you up for another gratuity on top of that after you swipe your card like most places do. So you're not only paying an automatic gratuity plus tax on said gratuity, but then if you elect to tip them you are tipping them based on the number with the gratuity included. It took me several trips to figure out why it was so fucking expensive to eat there relative to their menu prices.  

Does anybody (other than Helobious) have any Vietnamese recs? San Antonio is definitely lacking in Asian food in general. 

I never really ordered the Vietnamese food there, or have any idea how good it was, but the Viet-Nam on Broadway always had those badass spring rolls. Hear they're under new mgmt and suck now. 

18 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Houston might have the best food scene in the world outside of NYC when you take in the diversity of cuisine.  Having said that I've spent a lot of time in Viet Nam and some of the Vietnamese food in SA is pretty damn good. 

18 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You don’t deserve this rec, but Kinnaree Pho on NW military in castle hills slams and goes hard. 

And most of you are probably too scared to go into the neighborhood but La Chinita on the southeast side has some pretty incredible Chinese & Mexican food.

31 minutes ago, midtown said:

Houston might have the best food scene in the world outside of NYC when you take in the diversity of cuisine.  Having said that I've spent a lot of time in Viet Nam and some of the Vietnamese food in SA is pretty damn good. 

Agreed on Houston but I think the Vietnamese food there is particularly strong relative to other cuisines. So... what's your go to for SA? 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You don’t deserve this rec, but Kinnaree Pho on NW military in castle hills slams and goes hard. 

And most of you are probably too scared to go into the neighborhood but La Chinita on the southeast side has some pretty incredible Chinese & Mexican food.

There have been several Chinese/Mexican joints in SA over the years. Maverick Cafe, for one. There was one on West Avenue near Lockhill Selma back in the day that I can't remember the name of. They used to have a lunch special that you could mix and match, so you would end up with some freaky combo of egg rolls or won ton soup or tortilla soup along with enchiladas and your choice of Mexican rice or fried rice. Puro San Antonio version of fusion. And that neighborhood near Pecan Valley isn't bad at all. 

There have been several Chinese/Mexican joints in SA over the years. Maverick Cafe, for one. There was one on West Avenue near Lockhill Selma back in the day that I can't remember the name of. They used to have a lunch special that you could mix and match, so you would end up with some freaky combo of egg rolls or won ton soup or tortilla soup along with enchiladas and your choice of Mexican rice or fried rice. Puro San Antonio version of fusion. And that neighborhood near Pecan Valley isn't bad at all. 

Used to love La Chinita 35 years ago. It was one of my favorite joints

On 5/11/2023 at 11:08 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Agreed on Houston but I think the Vietnamese food there is particularly strong relative to other cuisines. So... what's your go to for SA? 

corpus had a place - wok-a-mole  chinese and Mexican buffet 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter’s cheer team had an end of year party at Elsewhere Bar and Kitchen. It’s down on Jones across from a good sushi place we tried recently, Shiro.

Anyway it was a cool place. Good vibes. Lots of misters. Beer and wine mostly. Plenty of draft options. Food was surprisingly good as well. Would recommend highly for afternoon or evening chilling outside with friends. 

• Like 1

Shit I live here and am looking at any chance I can to move back home. Used to love it but have grown to hate it the last couple years. Grass is always greener I guess. 

Anyone been to Santa Diabla yet? Just north of downtown. Read about it online today, looks good and getting lots of hype. 

21 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Anyone been to Santa Diabla yet? Just north of downtown. Read about it online today, looks good and getting lots of hype. 

Yeah... I went for brunch several weeks back.  It's got a very interior Mexico vibe and menu, but it's a cool place overall. Brunch menu was limited. I don't know if they've expanded it since then but there weren't a ton of options. I honestly can't even remember what we ordered other than a couple of margaritas and beers, but they do bring you this little hot sauce sampler thing that was on point. There's one with peanuts in it that's hotter than hell that I loved. I will say that the service was notably bad. There were only two other tables with customers and we had to flag down our waiter multiple times even to get water refilled. Probably because I ate so much of the damn hot sauce.

On another note, I don't remember exactly what your arcane rules were about dining at restaurants that you defined as being downtown, but you should take note that it resides essentially in the shadow of the I-35 overpass. That might cause you some consternation so plan accordingly.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

On another note, I don't remember exactly what your arcane rules were about dining at restaurants that you defined as being downtown, but you should take note that it resides essentially in the shadow of the I-35 overpass. That might cause you some consternation so plan accordingly.

No consternation at all. You’ll notice I said “just north of downtown”. It’s not actually in downtown.

The article I read showed a picture of a banana pie that looked incredible, I might go just for that 

On 5/27/2023 at 7:55 PM, Mullet Free said:

My daughter’s cheer team had an end of year party at Elsewhere Bar and Kitchen. It’s down on Jones across from a good sushi place we tried recently, Shiro.

Anyway it was a cool place. Good vibes. Lots of misters. Beer and wine mostly. Plenty of draft options. Food was surprisingly good as well. Would recommend highly for afternoon or evening chilling outside with friends. 

Can confirm Elsewhere is legit. We were down looking at houses to rent last weekend and the wife (no pics) and I decided to have a little date night there. Cool vibes with the swings that face the river. Live DJ and the night we went had some circus performer last swinging from a suspended ring contraption. They pride themselves on their "adult" Capri Sun like bagged drinks. They are tasty but be warned, they will absolutely fuck you up with the quickness.