Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

I told everyone Brooks was a beast 

Dude is on another level. He's 128-825-6 @ 6.5 ypc. That's a bad motherfucker right there. He should win the Doak for back to back with Bijan assuming he can continue this trend. 

For comparison like last season, Blake Corum is 111-605-13 @ 5.4 ypc against lesser competition. He has only 1 game with over 100 yards.  He's got a holy shit for TD's, but his ypc is kinda meh compared to Brooks' 6.7. Both are phenomenal backs, but Brooks is just a different animal, imo. 

But then again, Marshawn Lloyd for USC is tearing it up so far @ 7.9 ypc with 82-651-6. But seeing as USC will probably end up with at least 2-3 more losses at the very least (Washington, Oregon, and maybe UCLA), he'll more than likely be left out of the conversation since the idiots who do the votes seem to only care about winning teams unless you have a transcendent talent like Bijan that you can't just ignore, regardless of record. 

These 3 are at the top when it comes to beast mode at the RB position. Lloyd,with the way he's producing, should win the Doak if he doesn't get shafted because of his team's losses, but he probably will which is beyond stupid, but whatever. 

8 hours ago, bluto said:

Timing is usually what holds freshmen back, even Bijan took about a half season to figure things out. Today was the first time I have seen Baxter ‘get it’, and he looked damn good. That td run today wouldn’t have been there a couple weeks ago, the ever slight hesitation allowed everything to open. Then he had a wide open off tackle run where he put the hammer down immediately. Great stuff/signs that wasn’t there much before today. 

Baxter looked like his recruiting rankings vs Houston.. He probably should have had more touches. He was getting downhill in a hurry and Texas needs that. His blocking in the Red Cat was excellent.. He was physical in every aspect. He was the  biggest positive of the game 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Baxter looked like his recruiting rankings vs Houston.. He probably should have had more touches. He was getting downhill in a hurry and Texas needs that. His blocking in the Red Cat was excellent.. He was physical in every aspect. He was the  biggest positive of the game 

He looked great and he still looks like a baby. Kid’s gonna be great if he can strengthen up which I’m sure he will. 

3 hours ago, CosmoDog said:

Gotta give some love to Savion Red.

It seems like he is batting 1.000 on critical plays, be it conversions or touchdowns.

When he comes in everyone knows he’s getting the ball, so even more impressive.

Yup. Dude has done everything that's asked of him and is getting more than needed. He's definitely worth any money he's getting 

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Just saw this. The comments seem to suggest that not all RBs are pleased with the distribution of plays.

He's a good special teams player, but what has he done to prove he deserves more carries at RB? He's a scat back, not the best type of option for Sark's offense. I'd rather see Blue get carries over Robinson.

3 hours ago, Hard Times said:

He's a good special teams player, but what has he done to prove he deserves more carries at RB? He's a scat back, not the best type of option for Sark's offense. I'd rather see Blue get carries over Robinson.

I’m not disagreeing with your comment, I just don’t like locker room discontent.

That said, his post was extremely vague and he could have been talking about the penalty flag disparity. Don’t know. 

The comment section brought the discontent.

Baxter, Blue and K-Rob.  Time for the guys to step up. Im glad  Blue didnt go through with transferring.  He is the fastest of the trio, need to get him in space.  Would like to see what he does in the screen game.  Baxter seems to dance to the line a bit, but i know he's young.  We're going to need him to carry the load between the tackles.

7 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Baxter, Blue and K-Rob.  Time for the guys to step up. Im glad  Blue didnt go through with transferring.  He is the fastest of the trio, need to get him in space.  Would like to see what he does in the screen game.  Baxter seems to dance to the line a bit, but i know he's young.  We're going to need him to carry the load between the tackles.

Keilan was out yesterday -- not sure exact reason why

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

15 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Baxter’s YAC per game….  Tough to go from top in the country to this.  18 carries and 1 yard of YAC in a game, many games with 0, need Blue or Red to step up.  

IMG_4892.png

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/12/2023 at 4:46 PM, jdhorn92 said:

I am underwhelmed with the RB room after Brooks.  I think we need to get someone in portal.  Brooks and Red look like JAGs to me.  Maybe Blue can be something.

Feel the same about or TEs after JT

• Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I am underwhelmed with the RB room after Brooks.  I think we need to get someone in portal.  Brooks and Red look like JAGs to me.  Maybe Blue can be something.

You think Brooks is JAG?  Dude you are drunk on the voodoo juice 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Baxter has been injured all year, but still was one of the top recruits in the country. And he’s shown flashes at times. 

Robinson and Blue have been productive when in the game. 

If you are underwhelmed then maybe ask yourself if it’s primarily because an All American was ahead of them in the lineup and getting most of the snaps. Because I think all three of these guys will produce in his absence. We will see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Josef Pwag said:

You don't like what you have seen from Blue's limited snaps? I am excited to see him get more reps. 

Blue needs to protect the ball better.  Hoping Sark calls a few more outside runs and swing passes for Blue to take advantage of his speed.  🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

Brooks wasn't anything special last year either. He did flash a little more than Baxter, but nothing crazy. Don't give up on Baxter yet. Nor Blue for that matter. They have skilz you can't teach.

He was special in limited snaps.  Prior to last year he was averaging over 6.7 per carry and 15 per catch.

Baxter looks slow and easy to tackle to me.  He does not break tackles or maximize runs. 

Blue -- I have not seen enough of yet.

If we spread them out and have Baxter or Blue as the back, they are both capable pass catchers. Baxter would be able to work against a lighter box as well.

Not sure why Sark is so enamored with the heavier sets. Too many of our guys aren't consistently physical enough. Let the big guys wall off potential tacklers instead of trying to drive them back so much.

8 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Hornfans.com is probably more your speed.

Please list all the great true freshmen running backs from the past 10-15 years that have come in and been bonafied studs.

Since I've been following college football the only one I can 100% name is Adrian Peterson and Nick Chubb.

Here is Sark's response to a question about 5 star RB's out the gate(timestamped)

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/12/2023 at 6:01 PM, Hook1997 said:

Baxter’s YAC per game….  Tough to go from top in the country to this.  18 carries and 1 yard of YAC in a game, many games with 0, need Blue or Red to step up.  

IMG_4892.png

Can only imagine what our season would have looked like if Baxter didn’t get hurt and Sark just kept trying to make him happen as the number one back.  Still don’t know what happens at practice for JB to be so much better in game and it not be seen in practice.  

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Please list all the great true freshmen running backs from the past 10-15 years that have come in and been bonafied studs.

Since I've been following college football the only one I can 100% name is Adrian Peterson. 

Here is Sark's response to a question about 5 star RB's out the gate(timestamped)

I might throw Charles in there but he is outside of your 10-15 year window.

16 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

He was special in limited snaps.  Prior to last year he was averaging over 6.7 per carry and 15 per catch.

Baxter looks slow and easy to tackle to me.  He does not break tackles or maximize runs. 

Blue -- I have not seen enough of yet.

I think that has more to do with him being 18 and playing against grown ass men for the first time in his career. A little different at this level and it takes some time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We can include him, because why not. So we have 3 guys now.....those 3 went on to have long NFL careers as well. I'd love to see CJ Baxter behind that 05 line too....

Lets name some more?

Jonathon Taylor

Quinshon Judkins

Nick Chubb

Samaje Perine

Marcus Lattimore

Dion Lewis

Mike Hart

Cedric Benson

Todd Gurley

Maurice Clarett

Deuce Vaughn

Jahmyr Gibbs

Tank Bigsby

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Jonathon Taylor

Quinshon Judkins

Nick Chubb

Samaje Perine

Marcus Lattimore

Dion Lewis

Mike Hart

Cedric Benson

Todd Gurley

Maurice Clarett

Deuce Vaughn

Jahmyr Gibbs

Tank Bigsby

So there are 130 teams in fbs over that span. So you’re looking at 1300-2600 or so running backs over the year. Let’s say 5-10%of those are true freshmen so the sample size is 65-260 players and we’ve named roughly 10% of that number. Once again you’re expecting way to much of something in the scheme of the game is rare. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1