Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I think the goal was to rest the backs as much as possible. Unfortunately, the QB and WRs couldn’t get in a rhythm for 3 quarters. If they consistently connected, because they were open, there would have been little need to get more wear and tear on one of the two RBs this team can rely on at the moment.

I think that’s right. Our play calling early certainly supports that theory. And with our WR’s and QB supposedly being a strength of the team playing against slow MWC DB’s, it’s not a terrible approach on paper. Sure didn’t play out like Sark thought it would, though. 

He should have sold me after those tough Bama runs, but I’m all in on Brooks after Wyoming. That’s what a feature back should look like. Hopefully Baxter gets healthy soon to spell Brooks, but Brooks should be getting 15-20 touches a game. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

The diffrence I see from Baxter and Blue is that Blue runs north south.  I see Baxter (who is a big kid) side step too much. Hes always getting caught from behind. I would like to see Blue get a bit more carries. Hes seems a bit faster in hitting his holes. 

Agreed, he needs to hit the whole and burst.

When Baxter takes it and goes, he does well. I suspect this will continue to be pointed out to him.

Didn’t expect Brooks to be quite the bad motherfucker he’s been. Good for him for biding his time, prepping, and kicking ass when he got the chance. 

Also like what Blue is doing, even taking into account the circumstances. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Baxter is just a freshman. He's not used to the physicality yet. I believe he needs an off season to train and get more ready for it.

Until then, maybe 5-8 touches/game? Including a pass reception or 2? Run out of bounds for now to avoid punishment?

• Hook 'Em 1

Told yall Brooks is a beast. Was not hard to see. Also, Blue is better than Baxter. Baxter needs another 100 carries.  Blues last fumble cost him play time. We have a pure bread of horses though. I cant remember the last time we had an A+ stable of runningbacks. JC, CO, and RT?

Edited by Enemy07

As excited as I was about Baxter the idiot in me forgot about Blue being talented. That kid balled today. Sometimes you have to earn snaps he did that. I didn't see much of Robinson.
Robinson had one GDGD special for no gain and I think a handoff for the same near the end. He has talent for sure, but too many horses in the stable this year. Even Wisner ripped off a couple good runs in garbage time.

The diffrence I see from Baxter and Blue is that Blue runs north south.  I see Baxter (who is a big kid) side step too much. Hes always getting caught from behind. I would like to see Blue get a bit more carries. Hes seems a bit faster in hitting his holes. 
Blue isn't a true Freshman. We like to think of the skill positions as being plug and play straight out of high school, (for the really talented ones at least) but time in the S&C program/off-season (not to mention game experience) can't be rushed. Baxter will be better by the end of the season and then take the next leap in '24. Choice is an excellent RB coach, the happy feet before hitting the gap will get sorted.
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, ousux said:
8 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Blue isn't a true Freshman. We like to think of the skill positions as being plug and play straight out of high school, (for the really talented ones at least) but time in the S&C program/off-season (not to mention game experience) can't be rushed. Baxter will be better by the end of the season and then take the next leap in '24. Choice is an excellent RB coach, the happy feet before hitting the gap will get sorted.

I'm aware that blue isn't a freshman. I'm also aware that a player cannot come in and straight up dominate. All I'm saying is if Blue seems to grasp things a bit better than Baxter why not give him a bit more carries. Its not like he straight up sucks. Baxter is going to be great, but Blue seems to be a bit ahead right now.

Yeah, Baxter's problem isn't strength. He seems to abandon his keys quite a bit and he runs high. In high school, when you are a superior athlete, you can do that and outrun people to where you wanna go. Follow your blocking young fella and you will eventually pop one. He is trying to hit the home run each carry. Also, stay low and protect yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Timing is usually what holds freshmen back, even Bijan took about a half season to figure things out. Today was the first time I have seen Baxter ‘get it’, and he looked damn good. That td run today wouldn’t have been there a couple weeks ago, the ever slight hesitation allowed everything to open. Then he had a wide open off tackle run where he put the hammer down immediately. Great stuff/signs that wasn’t there much before today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:36 AM, TreatyOak said:

I'm reposting this from the Quinn Ewers thread. In the last few years, I have been fortunate to spend time w some amazing athletes. It's been a great opportunity to learn that they are pretty much normal folks like everyone else. They have fears, need help, etc, and do understand how lucky they are. I always think about the former athletes who weren't able to get to the league and how they got forgotten about, especially when they stop being someone's meal ticket.   

Along w Quinn Ewers, I got to hang w Cedric Baxter for three hours last week. He's trimmer than I thought he would be. He is a very sweet young man. Again, humble, smart and very approachable. I spoke to him at length and learned all about him. He told me about being originally committed to Florida State, which was his dream, but how when Coach Choice came to Texas, it was a done deal. He also wanted to leave the state and see more of the world, but he eventually would like to play for the Dolphins. He is also quite interested in fashion and has even created his own brand! You can follow him at @c4era on Insta. Check out his logo, which is pretty fun. 

We talked about how much we both liked Jahmyr Gibbs, who is a product of Choice.  I told him I can't wait to watch him on Sundays. I told him I knew we would beat Bama when he got the start, cause we weren't playing scared. He said coming here early gave him the jump on learning the system and he appreciated the trust the coaches have in him. He said his injury is nothing to worry about. I also met his family. They were wonderful and are very protective of him. It made me realize how young he really is, as I think he said he came here when he was 17! I told them he is going to do great things in football or otherwise, and they appreciated it. I encouraged him to pursue the fashion world, since technology allows people to create successfully their own brand now. He also expressed to me about how much the win over Bama meant to Quinn in a really powerful way. 

Cedric w a familiar face in the background. 

Quinn6.jpg

I must have been standing on a podium. 

Quinn5.jpg

As you can see, I am no stranger to the glory that is Megastuff Oreos. They are my favorite, or maybe the ones dipped in chocolate. Yeah, those are even better. 

I also like Saloman trail runners. Allbirds suck. Don't buy them. On Cloudmonsters are also amazing when conquering urban landscapes. 

Quinn3.jpg

Rocking his logo. 

Quinn8.jpg

Quinn Ewers is a unique talent and a great person. 

Quinn14.jpg

Just chillin'.

Quinn17.jpg

Best day ever. 

IMG-7877.jpg

Anyway, thanks for indulging me. 

Man I just saw this. That's super dope you got to meet the young man and get his story. We do forget that they're regular people too, and it's good to hear it from someone when they say they're fortunate and blessed to have this rare opportunity to be where they are. 

But also...anyone know where I can get these shoes? Does the Co-op sell them?

NVM - I think they're the Nike Zoom Pegasus. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1