2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

DeChambeau is such a douchebag. Blamed bad breaks, the wind changing up on him a couple of times and a couple other excuses for leaving six shots out there. Said he could've easily shot 9-under even if he didn't make anything. Man, I dislike this prick.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

DeChambeau is such a douchebag. Blamed bad breaks, the wind changing up on him a couple of times and a couple other excuses for leaving six shots out there. Said he could've easily shot 9-under even if he didn't make anything. Man, I dislike this prick.

Everyone else seemed to figure out what little wind there was.  I’ve never seen lower scores after the first round of a PGA event.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Why did they move this tournament out of Las Colinas??

I don't think the pros liked the course, was it two courses? Too much. Seems like the field had gotten pretty week in years past. 

Everyone else seemed to figure out what little wind there was.  I’ve never seen lower scores after the first round of a PGA event.

They were talking on the Golf Channel after that they were trying to find the lowest score to be the cut line in PGA Tour history and they think it will be threatened tomorrow.

Craig Ranch stood no chance. No wind, soft and the guys were playing lift/clean/replace. It’s more aesthetically pleasing than Trinity Forest already though.

I don't think the pros liked the course, was it two courses? Too much. Seems like the field had gotten pretty week in years past. 

Yes. They played one round on Cottonwood and that course was easy as fuck. The pros loved the Four Seasons, especially when it was back-to-back with Colonial. They’d bring their families and spend both weeks there. Then Byron passed away and they stopped coming. They redid the TPC course but it was after the guys stopped coming post-Byron.

It’s always bad luck/breaks with him. He’s always dialed in, always hits the ball great, putts great. Just bad luck when he doesn’t score well. I don’t like him.

30 minutes ago, C-Man said:

They were talking on the Golf Channel after that they were trying to find the lowest score to be the cut line in PGA Tour history and they think it will be threatened tomorrow.

Craig Ranch stood no chance. No wind, soft and the guys were playing lift/clean/replace. It’s more aesthetically pleasing than Trinity Forest already though.

don't let the SMU douche know...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

It’s always bad luck/breaks with him. He’s always dialed in, always hits the ball great, putts great. Just bad luck when he doesn’t score well. I don’t like him.

well when the face is scientifically perfectly square at impact every time what else could it be.

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

This is what makes him and Captain America great for pro golf. They are both now Texans.

Course appears to have a little more teeth today thus far

Maybe not — LOL. Birdies are starting to come.

All I kept hearing is that every single par-5 at Craig Ranch is reachable in two by the entire field. I wonder why they didn’t stretch a couple of those into par-4’s for a par 70 layout.

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s defending Jordan just fine.

Yeah he missed 4 or 5 birdie putts inside of 10 feet, but also made a couple for par outside of 10 feet. He’s going to stew on that round for the rest of today and tonight. I have a feeling he plays much better tomorrow. 

Jordan is a great guy.

https://golf.com/news/jordan-spieth-most-embarrassing-caddie-greller/

Jordan Spieth’s ‘most embarrassing’ incident reveals something positive about him

BY: DYLAN DETHIER MAY 13, 2021
Jordan Spieth and Michael Greller at the 2019 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach.

Jordan Spieth and Michael Greller at the 2019 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach.

USGA

Mid-afternoon viewers of Thursday’s AT&T Byron Nelson witnessed a familiar sight.

There was Jordan Spieth on the par-5 12th, dissecting his lie in the rough, pointing at a tuft of grass. His movement was frenetic. His chatter, too. His caddie Michael Greller stood stoic, silent, hands on hips.

After a lengthy sales pitch, Spieth talked himself into the shot. He had 246 yards to the hole. A creek guarded the fairway short of the green. Greller might have been skeptical — there was no way to tell.

“It’s on me,” Spieth said of the decision. “It’s on me.”

Then Spieth did exactly what you’d expect: He hit a high cut hybrid, just like he said he would. He made clean contact, skirting the tuft in front of his ball, and his Titleist landed by the hole, caught the backstop at the rear of the green and settled just nine feet away, leaving a short putt for eagle.

jordan spieth, real-life wizard pic.twitter.com/ZfmGPpv6rP

— Dylan Dethier (@dylan_dethier) May 13, 2021

The exchange and the shot were revealing in several ways. First, it was a reminder of Spieth’s process: He likes to verbalize things, think through the options and ultimately commit to the shot, however frantic he might seem or difficult its execution it might be. Second, it was a reminder that Spieth is feeling himself. That wizardry and the resulting two-putt birdie got him to six under par for the round through just 12 holes. He’d finish with another heroic shot at 18, pouring in an eagle putt for nine-under 63. In recent months, Spieth has contended more often than he hasn’t.

But what I enjoyed the most about the clip was the way each Spieth and Greller knew his role and played it to perfection. It made me think of an interview Spieth gave earlier in the week. And it suggested he’s made some progress in his player-caddie relationship.

Before the tournament, Spieth sat down for an interview with Chris Solomon of No Laying Up. Spieth has done this a few times over the years and it’s been insightful each time. But this time, with Spieth “back,” I was especially curious to hear how he’d explain his recent stretch of golf. The entire interview is worth a listen (you can find it here); he breaks down everything from his visit to Butch Harmon to the way money can affect a young pro’s mentality.

But the most telling bit of the interview came from a moment of self-reflection, when Solomon asked his the most embarrassing on-course moment of his career. To his credit, Spieth didn’t choose something embarrassing that had happened to him, but instead something that he had done — and regretted doing — at the 2019 U.S. Open.

Normally, Spieth said, the tee shot at No. 8 at Pebble Beach calls for a hybrid that stays short of the cliff.

“But in the U.S. Open it was so firm that my 4-iron went through,” he remembers. “On the tee I was like, ‘Michael, I can hit this as hard as I want, right?’ And he was like, ‘Yeah. You can hit it as hard as you want to.’ And it went through.”

Spieth took a drop from the penalty area, consulted with Greller again — and then missed long again, leaving himself a particularly torturous chip shot.

“I hit an 8-iron, which I was like, ‘Hey, we can’t go over this green, this is a good club, right?’” Spieth remembers. “And again, both of these, I’m hitting the shot, I know the information, I know I don’t have to rip him, I’m trying to force it a little bit. And I end up making like a double or a triple and I kind went off on Michael and it all got caught on camera and microphone.”

The Fox broadcast picked up the entirety of the moment. It wasn’t flattering for Spieth.

“Two perfect shots, Michael,” he muttered as he strode forward, steaming. “You got me in the water on one and over the green on the other.”

Jordan Spieth just completely called out his caddie on national TV. Whether the caddie misjudged it or not, that's a bush league move. At the end of the day, you're the one hitting the golf ball.#USOpen pic.twitter.com/lFSYQSGrvR

— Danny Vietti (@DannyVietti) June 13, 2019

Spieth’s memory is slightly off; he actually made an impressive up-and-down for bogey at No. 8 and salvaged an opening-round 72. But when he relived the moment afterwards, he didn’t like what he saw.

“After that round I saw it and I had never been more embarrassed for myself, ever,” Spieth told Solomon. “I was like, ‘Wow. Not only does that look bad, it was bad.’ And boy, I was upset but that was just — that was awful.”

Major news outlets picked up on the moment; it spoke to Spieth’s frustration, the tension of the tournament and the challenges of a player-caddie relationship. The exact soundbite was arguably overplayed; Spieth explained afterwards that he was expressing “frustration, not blame,” and Greller himself didn’t even hear it in real time. But the moment didn’t sit well with Spieth either that night upon rewatching or with months of hindsight.

“Actually, later that year in China they always do the Caddie of the Year, they have a big dinner spread, the caddies are all drinking and it’s really fun, they get a comedian to come do it and it’s a great time,” Spieth said. “And they brought up, ‘Some caddies had good years and some took abuse.’ And they played that clip and I was in the back of the room and I’m like, ‘Oh, my God.’ I grabbed a beer and left. I couldn’t watch this again.”

Jordan Spieth sidelined by Covid-19, now back on Tour at ‘full strength’
BY: ART STRICKLIN

Back to Thursday, then, and to Dallas, and TPC Craig Ranch. This player-caddie back-and-forth was far better, even if it was Spieth doing all the talking. Spieth made the decision to send it. Greller offer begrudging support. And then Spieth took accountability.

“It’s on me,” he said. He said it twice. He hasn’t gotten rid of the frenzied pre-shot conversations, nor does he want to. But it’s clear that Spieth has no interest in blaming his caddie when he’s the one hitting the ball. And in this case he pulled the shot off, too.

There has never been any doubt that Jordan Spieth is a fundamentally decent human being. But part of being a young star athlete is learning in the glare of the spotlight. There’s always plenty of room for that, too. We can take notes from home.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s plenty exciting. It’s just that certain name guys were pedestrian. It’s anyone’s tourney now and that is exciting. 

Hope Jordan wins, and Palmer, Scottie and Zalatoris make serious runs. 

Last 30 minutes has been better no doubt.  Having Kuchar and Spieth getting hot has lifted the crowd energy

FYI tomorrow...

1h

Due to the expectation of heavy storms in the area Sunday, the final round of the @attbyronnelson will feature threesomes off tee Nos. 1 and 10 between 7-9 a.m. CT.   @PGATOUR 

Golf Channel coverage starts at 9am.
Switches to streaming on cbssports.com and pgatour.com 

5 things I learned from looking inside the bags of golf’s elite amateurs

BY: JONATHAN WALL MAY 15, 2021

UTbags-1856-Wall.jpg Pierceson Coody (left) and Cole Hammer teed it up at the AT&T Byron Nelson after helping the U.S. win the Walker Cup.

JONATHAN WALL

Mere hours after they helped the U.S. clinch a third-straight Walker Cup title, University of Texas standouts Cole Hammer and Pierceson Coody made the trip back home to the Lone Star State to prep for the AT&T Byron Nelson. While GOLF.com’s gear team is used to highlighting the equipment used by the best professionals in the world, we figured it was a good week to switch gears and look at the tools used by two of the game’s elite amateurs.

Here are 5 things we learned from peeking inside their bags.

1. Simple tools

Coody1-1856-Wall.jpg You don’t need high-tech training aids to see noticeable improvements on the course. Both Coody (pictured) and Hammer sported simple alignment sticks that can be had for less than $20. Just remember to pick up two sticks so you don’t wind up using them incorrectly.

The putting arc training aid (pictured on the right side of Coody’s bag) helps groove your stroke over time and is relatively inexpensive at less than $40. Combined, that’s about what you’d spend on 15 premium golf balls for two reliable training aids. We’ll let you decide which purchase is more beneficial for your game in the long run.

2. Tour goodies 

Hammer1-1856-Wall.jpg One of the perks of teeing it up in a Tour event is getting to try out the latest gear — for gratis. Resting next to Coody’s bag was a new Sik putter featuring LAGP’s popular composite shaft and a JumboMax grip. Hammer was toting around fresh wedges and a new Ping G425 Max 5-wood with a Mitsubishi Diamana BF shaft. Only this wasn’t just any BF shaft. The green version happens to be from Tony Finau’s personal stock (notice the TF logo below the grip).

This is once again a friendly reminder that it’s nice to be an elite amateur teeing it up in a Tour event.

3. Mixing it up

Coody2-1856-Wall.jpg Blended iron sets remain a popular options in the professional ranks for player who want to reap the benefits of forgiveness and ball speed at the top of the set but don’t necessarily want to sacrifice workability and control in the mid and short irons. Both Hammer and Coody had similar split sets with at least three different models. Coody opted for a TaylorMade P790 3-iron and P7MC 4-iron before transitioning into a traditional set of P7MB blades.

Hammer2-1856-Wall.jpg Hammer was one of the only players in the field this week carrying a graphite-shafted Ping i210 2-iron. With high lofted fairway wood usage on the rise, Hammer still sees the benefits of using a game-improvement long iron — albeit a very forgiving, high launching option. The rest of his setup consists of i210 (3-4) and iBlade (5-PW) with burnt orange (Texas’ school colors) paint fill around the iron numbers.

4. Plenty of options 

Hammer3-1856-Wall.jpg Many golfers are told to play the same shafts in their irons to keep the feel and weight consistent. It’s a tried-and-true gear recipe that continues to work for a large majority of golfers. While that isn’t a bad idea, there’s nothing wrong with trying out different flexes and weights if you’re a better player.

As highlighted in the previous note, Hammer employs a Graphite Design AD DI 95X Hybrid shaft (99 grams raw) in his 2-iron, but immediately transitions into True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 X100 steel (120 grams) in the 3- and 4-iron and Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 (130 grams) in the 5-iron through pitching wedge.

It’s clear from Hammer’s setup that he’s been busy testing to find the ideal launch and spin characteristics for every club in the bag. In his case, he’s better off using three different shaft models throughout the iron setup. Is it unconventional? No doubt. But it works.

If you’re going to test out different shafts for your iron set, make sure you get a certified club fitter involved to ensure the swing weights stay consistent.

5. Traditionalists

DSC_0046-scaled.jpg As mallet usage continues to rise, Hammer and Coody continue to keep it traditional. Both were wielding Anser-style blades on the practice green, including a relatively new Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 for Hammer. Like a good pair of blue jeans, classic blades will never go out of style.

https://golf.com/gear/5-things-i-learned-elite-amateurs/

Want to overhaul your own bag for 2021? Visit the expert fitters at our affiliate company,  True Spec Golf.   For more on the latest gear news and information, make sure to check out our recent Fully Equipped podcast on Spotify 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is it me, or does this just sound like an infomercial so Jordan gets paid big bucks??? 😋

Jordan Spieth makes first ball switch in four years to new Pro V1x

May 13, 2021
By GolfWRX, PGATOUR.COM

Jordan Spieth is making a significant equipment change at this week's AT&T Byron Nelson, with the Texan putting Titleist's new Pro V1x golf ball in play for the first time in competition.

Spieth, who has played a Pro V1x for his entire career, has played the 2017 edition of the ball since its initial release. However, after testing the 2021 model during practice sessions over the past week, the 27-year-old has decided to add the latest version of the ball to his arsenal.

One of the primary reasons behind Spieth’s decision to play the 2021 version is the extra softness and spin that it provides. Speaking on the 2021 Pro V1x, the former FedExCup champion also identified that the new ball didn't add spin in his long irons, instead providing more ball speed and optimizing his launch.

“I’m trying to optimize launch conditions through the bag. For me, the 2021 Pro V1x, I get more spin around the greens. It’s softer, spinnier around the greens with my short game shots. And then when I went up the bag, I started to get a little bit higher launch, but it didn’t add spin in the long clubs. It just added ball speed and launch,” Spieth said.

“So it’s a little higher window, but it just looks like it’s screaming through the air. And then from the 7-iron on down, I didn’t see much difference in the full shots, just like I said more action around the greens." 

This week's AT&T Byron Nelson is a home game for the Texan, who made his TOUR debut at the event in 2010 as a 16-year-old. Spieth has roared back into form in 2021, with five top-5 finishes already this season, including a win at the Valero Texas Open.

Events based in Texas usually provide testing conditions due to the volatile weather, with the wind often playing a part in the Lone Star State.

According to Spieth, the added greenside spin with the new Pro V1x should be helpful should the wind pick up at TPC Craig Ranch this week.

“When you get into some trouble with some windy, tough golf courses, and you've got to hit these shots to short sided hole locations, to be able to have that extra spin around the greens will be really nice,” he said.

The three time major champion has been out of action since the Masters with the break allowing Spieth the opportunity to get accustomed to the new ball. After some thorough testing sessions, he believes the new addition to his bag will also provide added consistency in his scoring clubs.

“It was really like three days of hitting balls in different conditions into the wind, downwind, trying to get a nice day in there too, where you kind of don’t have to fight any,” he added. “And then hitting shots around the greens, being comfortable with that feel – which was easier. If you can get a little more spin, that’s only going to make things better.

“But really in those kind of three-quarter wedge shots, a lot of different kind of wedge control shots with the scoring clubs, I was looking at – How different does it feel? Am I getting any that are problematic? I like to play my wedges lower. And so just having a little bit of that extra spin I think is going to make it even more consistent.”

Though Spieth has an excellent record in his home state, winning twice, he is still looking for his first title at the AT&T Byron Nelson.

greller-ball-1694-golfwrx

Spieth’s caddie Michael Greller confirming the change of golf ball. (Courtesy of GolfWRX)

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2021/05/13/jordan-spieth-makes-first-ball-switch-in-six-years-to-new-pro-v1x-att-byron-nelson.html