Nurses Videotaped Making Racist Comments to Dying Woman

Doc Reeves

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Fuck Quebec, and Canadistan. They hate us because they're a second fiddle country with an identity crisis.

Had a kid tell me their university system was better than ours, and Harvard wasn't as hard as most of their schools...  I was on a ski vacation, drunk, and  stoned so I just laughed, and walked to the other side of the bar.  

Well, the Quebecois definitely have a chip on their shoulder, that's for sure.  They get pretty persnickety about speaking French.

But they're not wrong about their uni system -- not only did we do a lot of research on it, the daughter is now in school there.  It's damned rigorous and has a great reputation -- does McGill have the full cachet of Harvard?  No.  But as far as difficulty, yeah, they're right.  Harvard is hard to get INTO.  It's easy to get through.  McGill and Toronto are both hard to get into AND hard to get through -- they don't do grade inflation there, by and large.

Oh, and Canada has come a long way with how they deal with first nations people.....but Canada was SUPER shitty to them, so it still has a LONG way to go.  That said, they've at least acknowledged and owned it, on a policy level.  That was a big step.  But it sure as shit doesn't fix centuries of shittasticness.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, the Quebecois definitely have a chip on their shoulder, that's for sure.  They get pretty persnickety about speaking French.

But they're not wrong about their uni system -- not only did we do a lot of research on it, the daughter is now in school there.  It's damned rigorous and has a great reputation -- does McGill have the full cachet of Harvard?  No.  But as far as difficulty, yeah, they're right.  Harvard is hard to get INTO.  It's easy to get through.  McGill and Toronto are both hard to get into AND hard to get through -- they don't do grade inflation there, by and large.

Oh, and Canada has come a long way with how they deal with first nations people.....but Canada was SUPER shitty to them, so it still has a LONG way to go.  That said, they've at least acknowledged and owned it, on a policy level.  That was a big step.  But it sure as shit doesn't fix centuries of shittasticness.

Those quebecoise are more rude than the real French people. The daughter, and wife both speak fluent French (the daughter has a French literature minor) and they were still kind of rude to them, not as a rule, but enough that it was a pattern.

Oh sure, most 1st world countries have great schools. I would say they have a few, but the states have at least 25 that would top theirs without hitting the Ivys. That kid had a chip on his shoulder the size of Mt. Everest, and that was after we'd bought him a beer.

William & Mary is the same way with grade inflation here in Va. hard to get into, and hard to stay in.  UVA is hard to get in, and easier to stay in.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh sure, most 1st world countries  have great schools. That kid had a chip on his shoulder the size of Mt. Everest.  

William & Mary is the same way with grade inflation here in Va. hard to get into, and hard to stay in.  UVA is hard to get in, and easier to stay in.

It's not even always the schools, but the quality of the staff.  I had an ECON prof years back as an undergrad from UTD (his PhD).  He was laughing because he sometimes got a little shit for it, but basically said at the time, they money-whipped all the brightest minds to buy the best econ program in the country.  So there was a window of time, in the industry, that a graduate degree from UTD in ECON was really prestigious.  They couldn't hold on to them obviously, but interesting take I'd not really considered at the time.  

Edited by BabaYaga

i have a cousin who just started grad school in economics at a major state university.  having a degree in economics, i was curious so i had him send me his textbook list.  his microeconomics textbook for a graduate level course at his school is the exact same one (tho much newer edition) i had for a sophomore level class at UT.  i kinda thought that program was bullshit and now i'm certain of it. 

because UT uses 3 letter abbreviations, ECON bugs the shit out of me. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

not making a dig at you or your family of nurses but are the nurses complaining about who is paying for the care of the patient?  Does it fucking matter?  Is their pay lowered because "oh fuck, that dude from last month couldn't pay his bill so now the hospital is docking us"?  That's a pretty fucked up stance to take being that you're supposed to be "saving lives."  

Also fuck the nurses in this video and hope they're fired and medical licenses revoked.  get fucked

I suppose at some point, ER nurses get tired of drunken and drug-addled indigent types or homeless clogging up their ER with their bad life choices and use of the ER as a primary care doc.  That's a bit understandable if still not real empathetic and understanding behavior.

That attitude may spread to other areas of nursing practice in the hospital.  

Nursing can be pretty high stress, especially in acute care.  I'm willing to cut them a little bit of slack.

This is beyond the pale, however, racist or not.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

i have a cousin who just started grad school in economics at a major state university.  having a degree in economics, i was curious i had him send me his textbook list.  his microeconomics textbook for a graduate level course at his school is the exact same one (tho much newer edition) i had for a sophomore level class at UT.  i kinda thought that program was bullshit and now i'm certain of it. 

because UT uses 3 letter abbreviations, ECON bugs the shit out of me. 

The inflection point in economics is when you start taking courses like Econometrics, Game Theory, Law & Econ and such.   If you’re starting that in your 3rd/4th semester of requisite degree courses, you’re being pretty well prepped and in a thorough program.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The inflection point in economics is when you start taking courses like Econometrics, Game Theory, Law & Econ and such.   If you’re starting that in your 3rd/4th semester of requisite degree courses, you’re being pretty well prepped and in a thorough program.  

econometrics was not required at UT and the only people who didn't drop that class told me later that the professor hated students and that i was smart for dropping it.  they were all dual math/economics majors.  actuaries in training. 

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

econometrics was not required at UT and the only people who didn't drop that class told me later that the professor hated students and that i was smart for dropping it.  they were all dual math/economics majors.  actuaries in training. 

Or guys that couldn't get into the business school and were treading water until they could get their MBA or MIF and start making real money.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Most of the math/economics doubles really, really hate statistics.  I was much better at statistical analysis than getting into the hard core graduate mathematics level courses that some upper level Eco classes become.  It’s not the actual theory behind it that ever got me, it’s the application.   I didn’t take no damn topology classes Professor.  Wtf is this shit?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Most of the math/economics doubles really, really hate statistics.  I was much better at statistical analysis than getting into the hard core graduate mathematics level courses that some upper level Eco classes become.  It’s not the actual theory behind it that ever got me, it’s the application.   I didn’t take no damn topology classes Professor.  Wtf is this shit?

How can you hate ANOVA?

*it's so practical in "real life"

Anova-Sous-Vide-Precision-Cooker-Bluetoo

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Or guys that couldn't get into the business school and were treading water until they could get their MBA or MIF and start making real money.  

not those dorks.  i mean, maybe they'd be quants rather than actuaries.  but they weren't people who just missed getting into b-school and were slumming it in economics. 

<----- dork, i know my people.

Edited by elfenix

20 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Canada is incredibly horrible to natives. Like, Australians to aboriginals horrible. Every time someone says “the USA is going to shit, I’m moving to Canada” I’m like “have you ever lived there?”

Same thing in Mexico.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

My maternal grandma was Acadian French. Am happy her gggreats left Canada and moved south to Illinois, then Missourah back in the day.

Yep, laughed about that circle.  Part of our family was Acadian French who got their asses kicked out of Canada all the way down to Louisiana.  And now, the daughter returns to French Canada.  We'll take it back one sneaky coonass at a time.....

• Like 1

Grandma’s people didn’t hang around the Maritime Provinces... they had moved west to the Great Lakes region, then southward down the Mississippi Valley to the Cahokia area across from St. Louis. Later they were among the first settlers in St. Genevieve over on the west side of the river. 
No nurses in that branch of the family as far as I know.

one of our ggggreats 1st name was actually named Touissant. Am glad that family name was discarded

Edited by Armybrat

20 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I spent a good bit of time over there, definitely a weird dynamic going on there. 

all around the word people are pretty fucking biased, racists, tribalist assholessssss

which of course we all sadly know

Edited by staboner
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Grandma’s people didn’t hang around the Maritime Provinces... they had moved west to the Great Lakes region, then southward down the Mississippi Valley to the Cahokia area across from St. Louis. Later they were among the first settlers in St. Genevieve over on the west side of the river. 
No nurses in that branch of the family as far as I know.

one of our ggggreats 1st name was actually named Touissant. Am glad that family name was discarded

post-14251-eddie-murphy-i-see-what-you-d

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Anyone with "Indians" is pretty much horrible to them.

Any nation or region with an easily identifiable minority population (ie ethnic) is horrible to them.

Racism is the default state of humanity.

Went to the annual First Nations/Indigenous UN assembly from 2015-2019, or at least, my Hawaiian buddy was a delegate and I got to meet a lot of the representatives from all over the world, including Nordic ones, at the happy hours, etc. He said that the swedes treat the Sami pretty ok in modern times; they've given them a ton of rights in comparison to the Canadians and Americans. My friend's reaction was, "of course, out of all the indigenous people in the world, the white ones have the most rights and benefits..."

But yeah, racism is sadly humanity's default. And the Canadians have done some really fucked up shit to the first nations. Forced sterilizations/hysterectomies, outlawing their native language in schools, etc. up into the 20th Century I think. Or at the very least, up until a time that was shockingly modern/recent.

43 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Went to the annual First Nations/Indigenous UN assembly from 2015-2019, or at least, my Hawaiian buddy was a delegate and I got to meet a lot of the representatives from all over the world, including Nordic ones, at the happy hours, etc. He said that the swedes treat the Sami pretty ok in modern times; they've given them a ton of rights in comparison to the Canadians and Americans. My friend's reaction was, "of course, out of all the indigenous people in the world, the white ones have the most rights and benefits..."

But yeah, racism is sadly humanity's default. And the Canadians have done some really fucked up shit to the first nations. Forced sterilizations/hysterectomies, outlawing their native language in schools, etc. up into the 20th Century I think. Or at the very least, up until a time that was shockingly modern/recent.

Interesting that you bring that up.  By most accounts, the Sami don't actually predate Scandinavians in that region, but spread from eastern arctic regions, i.e. Russia.  And the Scandinavians and Sami mostly avoided each other until the late 19th-early 20th century.  But the attitude toward them was not good, the same racist/other as everywhere else, it just didn't go anywhere because there wasn't much competition for land/resources.

They did get shoved into Norwegian and Swedish schools with forced assimilation as a goal.

Mostly ignoring each other is better than war and subjugation I guess.

How do I know any of this?  A friend of mine asked me to proofread a paper comparing Sami and Inuit. Lol.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Game theory was maybe the hardest class I ever took at UT. I got something like a 27 on my first test (a take home) and I went in to talk to the prof to see if I had any chance of passing. He was like- Bro- that’s a B+ you got working right now. Me- this shit is hard.  Him- it’s supposed to be. 
well, ok then...

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Game theory was maybe the hardest class I ever took at UT. I got something like a 27 on my first test (a take home) and I went in to talk to the prof to see if I had any chance of passing. He was like- Bro- that’s a B+ you got working right now. Me- this shit is hard.  Him- it’s supposed to be. 
well, ok then...

I made a legit A in game theory. Game Theory, Law & Econ, Econometrics, Central Banking & Int’l Monetary Institutions, Int’l Trade Theory, and advanced macro were probably my favorite classes.  Mathematics for Economists absolutely slaughtered me.  I mean, many variables dynamically changing simultaneously makes absolutely perfect sense, and I legit understand how it works and even how to correctly get the answers to some of the questions.  Now, showing my work was a whole different ballgame.  Like I told the prof, I didn’t take no damn topology course and I didn’t even take Cal 3.  He was shocked that I was even getting in the ballpark of right answers only having taken Cal 2.   He gave me a C in that class because I diligently showed up every class, did all the homework, took all the tests and generally took my ass-whipping like a man.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:17 PM, Zepol87 said:

Have a few nurses in my family and hear the who paid for this argument alot. Not sure of the indigenous racism in that area but my gf is from Alaska and says the natives there get shitted on by everyone

So widely accepted fetish practices are no longer in vogue?

23 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Are we missing something here?  I’ve been around nurses that make crass remarks but to be so openly blunt and doing it to the patient’s face...to the point where the patient is live streaming her care?  Lots of WTF w this one. 

Yeah man, nurses are people and they are more times than not working extremely hard and dealing with emotionally taxing shit all day. Still, one of the pillars of the medical industry is professionalism. You need to have your game face on because literally peoples lives are at stake. I mean, sure if you’re in the infant ward and you make a little joke at the size of some little baby boys huge schlong, so what we’re all human. 
-but to be in a hospice position and act like catty Vietnamese manicurists is shitty and completely unprofessional. 

• Hook 'Em 1